shape
carat
color
clarity

While looking ate homes online ...

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
... I came across this seller''s photo...

Why would you want to show this when you are trying to sell your home?
So it gives people an idea of how much junk you can store in there?

lol - it cracked me up - and made me realize that my husband''s messy music studio is amazingly clean and orderly
compared to this - I should cut him some slack :)

lol nice mess.jpeg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. Apparently they missed the chapter on "home staging"
41.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
LAUGH - I know huh?!

Looks like a giant recycle chamber or something... I bet the smell is lovely in there.

I am almost tempted to email the realtor and ask is this room comes "AS IS" ?

That''d be rude ;-)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Haha.

Is there a note in the listing about how the home comes with "ample storage space"??

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha niiiice. Before JD and I got married I went to look at houses. Mom went w/me once b/c the realtor couldn''t, and the seller left the house open for us. They were still living in it which was fine but..dirty dishes piled all over the sink/counter. Garbage on the floor-dirty diapers even! Clothes everywhere, shoes, cushions 1/2 on the couch so you could see all the crap that collects there. We had to pretty much follow a path through the house. The basement looked like they stood at the top of the stairs and tossed stuff down. Stunk to high heaven too. No clue what goes on in people''s minds when they''re trying to sell a house!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyste, that is just too funny!!! what could they possibly be thinking? That photo makes me feel a lot better about my house lol.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, what was their realtor thinking?! (Or was it a private listing?) That''s hilarious!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I donno - it was listed through a realtor''s website like Remax or Century...

here''s another one from another listing:

lol nice mess too.jpeg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was house hunting in ''98, I and my very very young (about 22) realtor must have looked at about 40 houses over a course of several months. Some of them were not just wrong they were scary. I remember one I went in - dank, dirty, dark. I knew about a nano after I walked in that there wasn''t any point in looking, but did so anyway just because. We got to the hallway and there was this long reddish-brown streak about a foot wide down the center of the hallway carpet. By this time I''m about to bust out laughing, but I said, very deadpan, to my realtor, "Hmm...that must be where they dragged the body....". She let out this little "OMG!! Let''s GO!" and almost ran for the door. It was pretty funny actually. God, what a pit of a house.

Eventually though, I did find the right one. And you guys will too.
2.gif

If they can''t even fake it that they care about the house enough to make the beds... think what is between the walls... ..

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 11:31:40 PM
Author: ksinger
When I was house hunting in ''98, I and my very very young (about 22) realtor must have looked at about 40 houses over a course of several months. Some of them were not just wrong they were scary. I remember one I went in - dank, dirty, dark. I knew about a nano after I walked in that there wasn''t any point in looking, but did so anyway just because. We got to the hallway and there was this long reddish-brown streak about a foot wide down the center of the hallway carpet. By this time I''m about to bust out laughing, but I said, very deadpan, to my realtor, ''Hmm...that must be where they dragged the body....'' . She let out this little ''OMG!! Let''s GO!'' and almost ran for the door. It was pretty funny actually. God, what a pit of a house.

Eventually though, I did find the right one. And you guys will too.
2.gif

OMG!!! That is sooo funny!!!
41.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 11:29:07 PM
Author: Amethyste
I donno - it was listed through a realtor''s website like Remax or Century...

here''s another one from another listing:
Wow, make your bed before posting a photo of the room! When ever I was in the market for a houes it always amazing me the condtion people left their homes in even when they had an appointment to show it and KNEW people who could e potential buyers were coming.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
WOW.
32.gif
Make the damn bed, people!

I have seen some of that over here but with home stagers I thought you guys would be picture perfect.

My contribution is this:

A reception room photo: with the 2 kids watching cartoons and their shcool stuff all over the floor.
A garden photo: with some random old guy poking his head out so he was staring into the lens.

What I thought odd was that both houses were listed with agents I know to be looking for at least 1.5% commission. I would be so mad if it were my house and that was my ''professional'' service.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I looked at a listing a few years ago and every room was an absolute mess in the photos. Then you got to the kitchen and there was an old dude sitting at the breakfast table eating cereal staring at the camera. Awkward!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 8:27:26 AM
Author: April20
I looked at a listing a few years ago and every room was an absolute mess in the photos. Then you got to the kitchen and there was an old dude sitting at the breakfast table eating cereal staring at the camera. Awkward!
I burst out laughing when I read this. Yeah, those pics are horrible!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
OMG! Hilarious!!! I wish I still had the photos - but there was one that had toys strewn all over the place, and a TON of dirty dishes piled up on the nice countertop and in the sink.
What are people thinking????

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
MIL just sold her house, but the one next door has been for sale longer. The realtor from the house next door called MIL's realtor and asked MIL to give the people home staging advice because the place was a dump. Haha. The funny thing is, MIL didn't really "stage" her house. I think she painted a little bit, and definitely cleaned up, but that's about it. Simple cleaning goes a long way.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so gross. I could NEVER live like that.
It reminds me of that awful show Hoarders, which I can''t watch because it makes me feel ill to see all that stuff in people''s homes.

I don''t think I could buy a house knowing that all of that junk was piled up in the rooms before I moved in. ICK.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
The first one actually made me think of the show hoarders
7.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 10:25:59 PM
Author: elledizzy5
LOL. Apparently they missed the chapter on ''home staging''
41.gif
Who are you?
33.gif
9.gif

I''ll never understand why they post such unflattering pictures on realty sites. Like the blurry ones, the ones taken at night so you can''t see squat of the outside, and of course, ones like this...someone needs to watch some HGTV!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
The second photo is really funny to me for some reason--like it was just too much for them to simply make the bed.

Just to share another funny house-hunting story: about 7 months ago we saw a listing on a street we really thought we''d love to live. When the listing popped up, I noticed the realtor only took exterior photos of the house, which always sends the message "you don''t want to see the inside of this house". The street sits between the ocean and a large lake which affords amazing views on all sides, thus it was extremely rare for something to pop up in our budget. I decided I had to see it.

Before we stepped in the house we were warned that the owner''s daughter was mentally ill. I did not think anything of it, so when we were greeted by a woman in her bra and underwear yelling "whore!" at me, I was taken aback. Apparently she had been NAKED when the seller''s agent arrived! She followed us around the house threatening to take our camera away. The house was a complete mess--she had left cigarette burns in all of the carpet and even defecated in her own bedroom. At that point I was done--I didn''t care how nice the hardwoods were underneath, I was not living there. Not minutes later the owner told us his daughter had gone crazy when his wife/her mother had died. I said I was very sorry and he told me that she died in a bad flood IN THE HOUSE. OMG, I couldn''t get out of there fast enough!

I don''t know how the house sold, but it did. Amazingly enough, it was only on the market for two weeks (we were the first to see it).

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 10:25:59 PM
Author: elledizzy5
LOL. Apparently they missed the chapter on ''home staging''
41.gif

It looks like the "staging the move" area to me, haha.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
oops... upload unsuccessful.

come on ... move over.jpeg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
oh...

What is up with people in my area?!

I found another one!

Well, with the aid of my photo editor, I kept the face of this elderly person anonymous!

just move over alil.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
hehe... I don''t really need to know how much can the hooks support before they rip off the door!

messy oye.jpeg

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2010 12:34:51 PM
Author: Amethyste

hehe... I don''t really need to know how much can the hooks support before they rip off the door!
Haha - I''m betting the description of the home may not include the words ''ample closet space''.

Fire and Ice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 10:19:25 AM
Author: House Cat
Hooked on Houses bad mls photos

Your post reminded me of these...

I haven''t laughed that hard in weeks! The "green house" pics are so much like a house DH & I looked at just a few years ago. There was this huge empty room that looked like a ballroom except for the fact that the staircases and handrails were covered in in the same climbing plant. Even our agent laughed at that one and she''s seen a lot of kooky stuff.

I guess some people just don''t care when they list their house. We sold another house about 8 years ago and I was so surprised when the couple looking at is made a comment to me that it was the cleanest house they had seen. Now I might be OCD about some things but I had a baby on my hip and knew I couldn''t do it all and get every nook and cranny. Oh, but there was more. The agent then told me they had seen houses where people had left dirty underwear on the floor!
6.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a realtor I have to say I do actually see this stuff. Not only in photos, but IRL on a daily basis! The two most common reasons are renters and foreclosures. With renters the owner has no control over what the place looks like, and in a foreclosure the owner (or soon to be previous owner) doesn't care. If I had a dollar for every bed I've made, sink full of dirty dishes I've washed, litter box I've cleaned...

I actually showed a place two weekends ago where there was someone asleep/passed out/dead (I didn't check to find out) on the floor between the bed and the wall.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results