shape
carat
color
clarity

Which ultrasonic should I get?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've decided to set my new Octavia in a setting just like my partners, depicted on right pic below.

The new setting will not be not as easy to clean my old tension setting, so I'm considering getting an ultrasonic.
It is open on the sides so the pavilion on the sides are not easy to scrub with a toothbrush as my old tension setting which was not open on the sides.

Which ultrasonic is good?
It does not have to be large since I'd only clean one ring at a time.
I've been reading reviews and some seem to just die after a few months.

Not sure this helps explain but my old tension setting, on the left, gave easy access to all of the pavilion that is visible.
The new ring will be like the one on the right and has side grooves which prevent the tooth brush from accessing the part of the pavilion that is between the groves.
Well, you can access it but you can't apply enough force with the tooth brush to remove all the gunk quickly.

old_on_left_new_on_right.png

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea. I still use my Sharper Image little ultrasonic that PSrs touted back in 2006, but I don't think it's made now. Jewel Jets are still around, I think. But those are just steamers. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Mine is from Frontgate. I like its flexibility -- use with or without heat, ditto gem cleaner (included) & vibration, and it has a steam cleaner. It has worked fine for about 4 yrs. It wasn't awfully expensive, either -- DH gave it to me for Christmas one year but I think it cost around $120.

--- Laurie

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a professional and a consumer level ultrasonic and I never use either. I can get my rings cleaner with a steamer, soaking in hot soapy water, and with my spray cleaners from Sparkle Sparkle/that purple stuff and occasionally windex.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own a Gemoro sparkle spa and use the Blitz gem and jewelry cleaner in it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been thinking about the GemOro UltraSpa but don't know anyone that has one.
The online reviews look good for the most part.

Make sure you use distilled water in any steamer or ultrasonic.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for this thread, Kenny! I've always wondered about ultrasonics, but never followed through on getting one. Maybe I will now.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1385260455|3561909 said:
I have been thinking about the GemOro UltraSpa but don't know anyone that has one.

Karl, could you elaborate on the distilled water factor? I've only used tap water in mine to clean diamond jewelry and am curious. Thanks!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1385275271|3561975 said:
Karl_K|1385260455|3561909 said:

Karl, could you elaborate on the distilled water factor? I've only used tap water in mine to clean diamond jewelry and am curious. Thanks!

tap water has chemicals that stink when heated in a steamer and the lime and other gunk will quickly gum up the works. Tap water kills steamers.

In the ultra-sonic the same chemicals and lime and other gunk will leave water spots on both the jewelery and the tank.

Not all tap water is as bad as others but all of them are pretty gunky compared to distilled.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results