shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is your favorite type of apple?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently discovered/realized that there are different types of apples.

I mean, I used to go to the supermarket and see the different names but I would just buy whatever...

Recently, I picked up a kind I had never tried before (don't remember the name ETA: actually, I just looked the apple itself...it's a Cripps Pink) and it was super sweet. Like I can't finish it sweet...

So that sparked me to look up if some kinds of apples were sweeter than others and sure enough of course there are.

Yesterday I picked up some Braeburn apples and OMG they are perfect! Not too sweet, not too tart. I will buy these from now on, if they're available.

Do you have a kind of apple you like best or do you just buy whatever?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mmmm Braeburn's are sooo good! I like Gala's w/my peanut butter. Pink Lady is good. Fuji's too. The red delicious are fine, not my favorite. yellow delicious I like better I think. We don't have many different varieties to choose from around here. Sometimes they'll have random ones I'm not familiar w/. There's...Jonathan and then Jonagold I think..maybe a cross between the Jonathan and yellow delicious?

Sometimes when I get Gala's they're gigantic-I think those are the "royal" Gala's maybe?

I don't like super crunchy apples. If I feel like I'm having chips b/c it's so crunchy I don't care for that.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Braeburn too, and Pink Lady and Gala... not a fan of McIntosh but I do have a longstanding fondness for Granny Smith Apples. I like to keep a couple of apples in my fruit bowl, each a different variety.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Braeburn, Gala, Fuji and Pink lady. Jonathans are good too!
A combo of Gala and Granny Smith will make an awesome pie!!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Golden Delicious. Very sweet and not hard, no one in my family will eat them they all like Granny Smith which I find too tart and too hard. I love mine with peanut butter too! A favorite snack!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jazz and the classic granny smith.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Fuji, Gala, and Granny Smith :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like gala apples, but I've tried others that I really like, also (jazz and honeycrisp, maybe). Galas aren't too sweet, and they don't have that mushy texture like macs sometimes do. I stay away from grannysmiths because they're too tart.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh this is another difficult choice question for me lol. I love all of them. I really do and for all different reasons.

If I had to choose I would choose Fuji then Gala and then Honeycrisp. But I love golden delicious and all the others too. And of course we must have Granny Smith apples when baking apple pie. They are the only ones that will make my dh's perfect apple pie. :lickout:

There are over 7000 varieties of apples worldwide so that's a lot to choose from lol. Though there are probably around 18 that we usually have to choose from here. Remember to only eat organic apples though. :appl:

_28466.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1427766498|3854850 said:
Fuji, Gala, and Granny Smith :)
These are also my favourites.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like Honeycrisps. They are tart and sweet, which makes them perfect for me. My husband hates them. He prefers Fuji's.

I have found that buying organic really makes a difference in flavor. When I buy non-organic, the apples have a watered down flavor. I buy about 10 pounds of apples per week. They are a huge staple in our house.

We have a place about forty minutes from here called Apple HIll. There are about 15 - 20 farms that grow countless varieties of apples. The farms range from you pick with cook-outs to kid-friendly with a fishing pond, to vineyards with apples, to places that make the best apple pies you will ever have. There is even a farm that serves fresh hot apple cider donuts. It is a wonderful place to go to in the fall. We always come home with many different varieties of apples that I have never even heard of. They are all delicious, but to be honest, the Fuji and the Honeycrisp are still my favorites.

Oh, and I love Pippins for pies.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
House Cat said:
I really like Honeycrisps. They are tart and sweet, which makes them perfect for me. My husband hates them. He prefers Fuji's. I have found that buying organic really makes a difference in flavor. When I buy non-organic, the apples have a watered down flavor. I buy about 10 pounds of apples per week. They are a huge staple in our house. We have a place about forty minutes from here called Apple HIll. There are about 15 - 20 farms that grow countless varieties of apples. The farms range from you pick with cook-outs to kid-friendly with a fishing pond, to vineyards with apples, to places that make the best apple pies you will ever have. There is even a farm that serves fresh hot apple cider donuts. It is a wonderful place to go to in the fall. We always come home with many different varieties of apples that I have never even heard of. They are all delicious, but to be honest, the Fuji and the Honeycrisp are still my favorites. Oh, and I love Pippins for pies.

We go to Apple Hill at least once a year! Last year I got a 20lb box of Honeycrisps for $20. We purposely went earlier in the season so I could get them.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
FUJI, I love a crisp Fuji, sweet w/a little bit of tart. :cheeky:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Golden Delicious, sliced paper thin.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband and kids will only eat fuji f and honey crisp apples. I like galas as well. I never buy granny Smith, too tart for all of us.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only eat granny smith apples. I love the tartness and the crisp-ness. Some of the other varieties are softer, and feel mushy/rotten to me. I'm just too used to the crisper texture. I want to try the new non-browning apple from the okanagan though, sounds pretty cool.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gala and fuji. Hate red delicious and yellow delicious right behind red. In the last month bought 2 3-lb bags of gala apples, been eating them pretty much every day.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gala and honeycrisp, in that order. Preferably with peanut butter. :love:

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning. I don't know if everyone knows this or not, but apples that you buy in the store are a year old. Have you ever had a soggy or mushy Apple? That is because they are stored in a gas from the prior season. Apples from the farmers market are no more than three days old and the difference is undeniable!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Another Gala/Fuji person here.

Macintosh and red delicious come in second. RD for the crisp texture, Macintosh for the flavour.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results