shape
carat
color
clarity

which cell phone carrier and why?

Which cell phone carrier would you pick?

• Sprint

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ATT

• Verizon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
We currently have tmobile but haven't been happy with their coverage in our area. Verizon is great, however there are very few phones that do not require a data package. I'm also not so sure about ATT because their sales reps are quite pushy and I've never left a store feeling great about them. Really, finding a cell phone shouldn't be this difficult
3.gif

My dad - only talks
DH - talk and text
Me - talk, text and web (mostly for GPS which DH and I both use from my phone)

Hopefully my poll will work! If not, which carrier would you pick and why?

Tmobile
Verizon
Sprint
ATT

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I have AT&T strictly for the iPhone. I always quote a comedian I heard on the radio when I describe it. "Love the i, hate the phone." Service is awful. I''ve never had so many dropped calls. Apps are great, but it seems like other phones are starting to catch up.

I used to have Sprint. Service was decent. FI had Verizon. Definitely the best service. Can''t comment on TMobile. I''ve heard the Verizon Droid is a nice phone if you want something similar to the iPhone that you can actually make calls on.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was a cingular customer b/c I was sold on the rollover minutes and am now AT&T. I don''t ever drop calls. I don''t have an iphone so I am not sure if that''s the difference or if my city just has more towers. I am happy with them.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have Verizon and we really like them. My husband and I share minutes on our plan and it''s working out well. The service is great and the customer service has always been good. I''ve only had Verizon''s cell phone service, so I can''t comment on the other carriers/companies.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Voted Verizon because my husband and I have Verizon with the data plan and really like them. We don''t have problems getting service in most places either (which in our neck of the woods can be a problem).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have Sprint, and I''ve been using Sprint since I purchased my first cell phone back in 1999. I really love Sprint, obviously.

DH had TMobile before we were married and he found them to okay. I liked Sprint better than he liked TMobile, so we went with Sprint.

We wanted to switch to AT&T to get iPhones but their service was SO EXPENSIVE compared to our Sprint service (we both have Blackberries) and our friends with iPhones say the service is spotty around here. (Chicago)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is a data package? We have verizon and do not have anything except the regular phone. We do NOT have text messaging or anything fancy like that.

When recently upgrading my phone, there was only two in the entire store that didn''t have a text board thingy. It was frustrating.

Anyway, have had great luck with Verizon.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I have virgin - which I''m happy with.. don''t know much about the other carriers... good luck finding the best fit for you :)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I used to have Verizon, and I switched to AT&T for the iPhone. With Verizon, I had to deal with "sneak fees" every time I renewed my contract (twice being charged for "free" nights and weekends when they were already included in my package, and when I originally signed up, being charged for "free" calls to other Verizon wireless numbers). They always credited me back when I called to complain, but it soured me on the company. The call quality was okay but not great, it echoed a lot and I'd often have to hang up and call back because it was so annoying. AT&T has been fine as far as billing, but I have tons of dropped calls and poor quality when on 3G. When on Edge, it's much better -- comparable to my old Verizon service but less echoing. So I try to leave it on Edge unless I'm surfing the web. Anyway, I really can't recommend one over the other, they each have strengths and weaknesses and you just have to decide what you can live with.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard quite a bit about Verizon''s sneak fees - part of it is that I know what to expect from Tmobile and it just seems like extra stress to switch carriers, however, my dad doesn''t have coverage where he lives and tmobile won''t allow me to drop the line. This has ticked me to no end
29.gif
I have been told that it is because he lives in an older (1920''s) historic area of town with quite a few brick houses but they wouldn''t cancel it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 8:06:55 PM
Author: Sparkly Blonde
I have heard quite a bit about Verizon''s sneak fees - part of it is that I know what to expect from Tmobile and it just seems like extra stress to switch carriers, however, my dad doesn''t have coverage where he lives and tmobile won''t allow me to drop the line. This has ticked me to no end
29.gif
I have been told that it is because he lives in an older (1920''s) historic area of town with quite a few brick houses but they wouldn''t cancel it.
That is so annoying.

I hate it when giant corporate scripts for handling situations make it impossible to find rational solutions to issues. Your father has no service = he shouldn''t have to carry a line!

If it makes you feel any better, it took us MONTHS to be able to make a change to DH''s Bally membership because eons and eons ago DH signed up on a family plan under his mother''s name. When he wanted the membership fee to be auto debited from our new checking account so he could cancel his old one they kept saying "DH''smom''sname must make the change because she is the one who opened this account." When DH responded with "Well, you don''t know how much I wish she could, but she died unexpectedly in 2003" the response was "Um, well, she''s the only one who can make any changes. I''m sorry, but unless she comes in we can''t change the account."
23.gif
We had to deal with many different people on separate phone calls to get the whole situation fixed. So ridiculous. (Oh gosh, sorry, that ended up being soooo long!)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''ve had ATT for years, I have a family plan for me, my husband and my mom. My husband and I both have iphones and the unlimited data and texting is necessary. We live in a pretty metropolitan area and the service is great, I also get a 20% discount at ATT because of where I work so it''s def good for us. Good luck!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Can you just sign a new contract with T-mobile without your dad and sign your dad up for something else? Especially if he just talks I''m sure you could get him a pretty low plan for cheap. Also we used to be with T-mobile (and i might switch back when my plan is up in August) because they were so much cheaper. Also their fav 5 plan is really effective if you only talk to a few key people most the time.

You can try my dad''s bargaining plan with them... tell them you are changing providers unless they drop your dad''s line. They''re pretty receptive to "I''m leaving you threats" in my experience. We were shipped two brand new phones when our first contract with them was up and they weren''t going to allow us to get new free phones with the new contract. My dad basically called and said "I can get 2 brand new nice phones if I switch to verizon right now for free - send me 2 phones for my kids or you will lose me as a customer". We were shipped phones a few days later. My dad always drives a hard bargain, but it''s worth a try.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 8:19:45 PM
Author: Haven

29.gif
That is so annoying.

I hate it when giant corporate scripts for handling situations make it impossible to find rational solutions to issues. Your father has no service = he shouldn''t have to carry a line!

If it makes you feel any better, it took us MONTHS to be able to make a change to DH''s Bally membership because eons and eons ago DH signed up on a family plan under his mother''s name. When he wanted the membership fee to be auto debited from our new checking account so he could cancel his old one they kept saying ''DH''smom''sname must make the change because she is the one who opened this account.'' When DH responded with ''Well, you don''t know how much I wish she could, but she died unexpectedly in 2003'' the response was ''Um, well, she''s the only one who can make any changes. I''m sorry, but unless she comes in we can''t change the account.''
23.gif
We had to deal with many different people on separate phone calls to get the whole situation fixed. So ridiculous. (Oh gosh, sorry, that ended up being soooo long!)
23.gif
wow
20.gif

That''s like the tmobile guy at my dads house. It was a yep, you don''t get service because of your brick house, yep if you go to work which sits right next to a tower you get service - so the conclusion is that he drives to work to use his cell phone
3.gif
Okay, they didn''t say it *like* that
20.gif
He still has a landline but it would be nice for him not to have to pay for his long distance.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have Verizon and we have been very happy with them for years. I had T mobile but hated them because I was always dropping calls. I had AT&T but their customer service rep flat out lied to me, and that lie cost me $200+! I have a BlackBerry with a data package, my DH has a regular old phone and he doesn''t even text. We also have a third line that acts as our house phone.

Date: 4/11/2010 5:35:39 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I was a cingular customer b/c I was sold on the rollover minutes and am now AT&T. I don't ever drop calls. I don't have an iphone so I am not sure if that's the difference or if my city just has more towers. I am happy with them.

it's the phone. I always had great AT&T service until I got an iPhone. The other day I tried calling the bank and my call failed NINE times before it went through. I only have that problem when using my iPhone.
7.gif

hope they fix it soon
7.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I was with Cingular before it morphed into AT&T. Like, I've had the same number since high school. I like the service, and I'm one of the many iPhone owners. Yes, my phone doesn't work the best when I'm in New York, but it's not like I go into the city everyday. Plus, I think they have great customer service. I've never not had a problem resolved.

And, if you don't live in a huge city, you won't have anything to worry about. I will also add that Nate has a BB and he never has a problem with calls.

We won't be switching, the in-laws would disown us.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2010 8:19:45 PM
Author: Haven

29.gif

That is so annoying.

If it makes you feel any better, it took us MONTHS to be able to make a change to DH''s Bally membership because eons and eons ago DH signed up on a family plan under his mother''s name. When he wanted the membership fee to be auto debited from our new checking account so he could cancel his old one they kept saying ''DH''smom''sname must make the change because she is the one who opened this account.'' When DH responded with ''Well, you don''t know how much I wish she could, but she died unexpectedly in 2003'' the response was ''Um, well, she''s the only one who can make any changes. I''m sorry, but unless she comes in we can''t change the account.''
23.gif

Really?! I can''t BELIEVE they''d do that in the first place, and then tell your husband that they STILL couldn''t do anything after your hearing your husband''s explanation. Unbelievable.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, right now I''m using china mobile but I''m guessing that doesn''t help you lol

I used Verizon for years and years and never had any problems that were worse than what I heard was going on with other carriers.

When I move back to the usa though I will base my decision on who I can get iphone coverage with - and I mean legit iphone coverage. Rumor they''re going to be doing it through verizon soon but that one''s floated around for a while. I can''t stand having an unlocked phone, I want to be on the up and up. I''m going to drink the kool aid as my husband would say and choose my carrier based on that one criteria and buy an imac.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter and I have been on AT&T for years, and my hubsand''s on Verizon. Att has had great coverage and I can count dropped calls over the years on one hand. But I''m tired of the whole 2 yr contract business, and am seriously considering Cricket. $40.00/mo with unlimited calls, texting, and internet. Not a huge selection of phones, though.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had verizon for three years and I''ve never had an issue with them. The only dead spot i''ve ever found happens to be the kitchen of my parents house so when I visit them I just move rooms if I get a call. Most of their phones do require a data package but if you plan to be online a lot..you''re gonna need one.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 2:28:53 AM
Author: swedish bean
Date: 4/11/2010 5:35:39 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

I was a cingular customer b/c I was sold on the rollover minutes and am now AT&T. I don''t ever drop calls. I don''t have an iphone so I am not sure if that''s the difference or if my city just has more towers. I am happy with them.

it''s the phone. I always had great AT&T service until I got an iPhone. The other day I tried calling the bank and my call failed NINE times before it went through. I only have that problem when using my iPhone.
7.gif

hope they fix it soon
7.gif

Swedish bean, have you tried using Edge instead of 3G? I have an insane amount of dropped calls when the phone is set to 3G, but very rarely drop calls on Edge. The call quality is better, too. And it improves battery life!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I would consider Verizon, but we are ATT because DH has the iphone and will not use another phone so it looks like ATT forever.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I have had verizon now for 10 years. While I think they are probably the most expensive (their taxes are ridiculous), I am very happy with their coverage. Their customer reps are also always very helpful. I have 4 lines with them currently (myself, mom, and my brothers). I''m really excited about the 4G coming up. Can''t wait to see what that means about the service.

Some things to consider if you do go with Verizon:

-Go for the unlimited text/pic messaging. Trust me, you do not want to try to manage the texts yourself. I believe it''s $30 for a family package, don''t know how much it is on one line.
-Read the data packages very carefully. This does not include text/pic messages. It''s $9.99 so that you don''t get charged for data usage but you still have to pay extra if you want unlimited picture/text messages. It''s ridiculous. We pay the $30 but they also wanted to charge me $9.99 extra for my brother''s phone just so that he could recieve texts. It made no sense.
-Because of the first 2, I would go with a phone that has the whole package: web, texts, pics, email, etc. such as a blackberry or the Droid (I have a BB and cannot recommend it, it''s been replaced 3 times. My brother has Droid and its fabulous).
-Ask them about the taxes. Because I live in Ft. Lauderdale I pay Ft. Lauderdale tax on all of my lines. But because 3 of the phones are in Orlando, I also pay taxes for Orlando. It''s silly.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 10:38:30 AM
Author: Demon
My daughter and I have been on AT&T for years, and my hubsand''s on Verizon. Att has had great coverage and I can count dropped calls over the years on one hand. But I''m tired of the whole 2 yr contract business, and am seriously considering Cricket. $40.00/mo with unlimited calls, texting, and internet. Not a huge selection of phones, though.

Hmm that sounds really nice. I usually use crappy phones anyways so I''m not concerned about phone selection. However, I just went to their website and even though my town shows total coverage when I went to shop plans it told me that they weren''t accepting new customers in my area... how bizarre. I would like a non-contract phone though. I''d like to get a family plan with SO eventually but he just got a 2 year contract with ATT.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had Sprint since my first cell phone in 2004, and like the coverage. I very rarely drop calls, and even most of those are in DH''s home town (rural mining/farming town 40 miles from the nearest signs of civilization!). I''ve never paid a roaming charge, and the plans are reasonably priced. DH''s work Blackberry is also Sprint, and he is happy with the network and data speed.

I know plenty of people who have had issues with Sprint''s customer service, but I haven''t had major issues yet (knock on wood).

Most of my family is on Verizon, and are happy, but I know they pay higher rates than what DH and I do. We see no need to switch right now.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2010 12:57:52 PM
Author: Callisto

Date: 4/12/2010 10:38:30 AM
Author: Demon

Hmm that sounds really nice. I usually use crappy phones anyways so I''m not concerned about phone selection. However, I just went to their website and even though my town shows total coverage when I went to shop plans it told me that they weren''t accepting new customers in my area... how bizarre. I would like a non-contract phone though. I''d like to get a family plan with SO eventually but he just got a 2 year contract with ATT.
That sounds really weird! I''d call them or drop in at one of their stores.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results