shape
carat
color
clarity

Which cat food would you feed feral cats?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Blue Eyes.

wellscute31.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Loves his towel.

wellscute34.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Sleepy baby.

wellscute37.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Love him.

wellscute27.jpg

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I applaud what you are doing and despite what I have always heard, I have seen ferals domesticated.
My ILs don''t have much money and used to live in a small farming town. The place they moved had a small feral colony. No one out there did the free or low cost spay/neuter and there really weren''t shelters to take them to. Although my MIL is truly nuts, she is a cat whisperer and they all came to her. She would bring the famels inside to keep them from getting pregnant. Everytime DH and I went to visit, we would round up the females and take them to shelter in the city we lived in which was very nice and had space so they would not be using up scare resources. We took males too and in all we transported 25 cats 3 1/2 hours each in our underground railroad.
Many were faral, but somehow MIL would have them totally domesticated by the time we would next visit.
The last was a mother and her 3 1/2 week kittens, 4 for them. Bebe, the mom, was so feral even MIL couldn''t do anything. We brought all the others in winter, but it was summer when this last one showed up and the shelter was full and they said if we left them, they would all be put down. We took them home and Bebe escaped. We never did catch her, although we did see her time to time afterwards. We hand raised the kittens and when they were old enough, we took them to shelter to be adopted. I know they went to good homes and were healthy, but it was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever done.
Thank you for what you have done and know that things will continue to improve with Wellington.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Brazen. What a nice surprise! Welcome back.

Yes, Wellington has made some amazing strides already. He is such a lovable kitty.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
One of my cats was a feral for a few years. It really didn''t take her long to become a big lover. She loves to ride on my shoulder and sleeps on my hip.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
LAJen i must have missed this thread somehow...

its so fantastic what you''ve done for Louise and Wellington. Thanks so much for making sure they have a good life
35.gif
they''re both beautiful cats, cant wait to hear more of their adventures
30.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have done such a great job with these kittys! Your little boy looks like he is in much better health then the original pictures you
posted. I hope he gets comfortable enough to come inside some day and gets along with your other kittys. Good job!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I love seeing pictures of Wellington and reading your story. He really is so handsome.... there is something so special about earning the trust of an animal.. good luck and I hope you''ll keep us up to date with your progress!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 10:10:43 PM
Author: lulu
One of my cats was a feral for a few years. It really didn''t take her long to become a big lover. She loves to ride on my shoulder and sleeps on my hip.

That''s great to know Lulu. It gives me hope that Wellington may be a lap cat one day.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 11:38:57 PM
Author: Blackpaw
LAJen i must have missed this thread somehow...

its so fantastic what you''ve done for Louise and Wellington. Thanks so much for making sure they have a good life
35.gif
they''re both beautiful cats, cant wait to hear more of their adventures
30.gif

Thank you, Blackpaw.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 10:19:14 AM
Author: tyty333
You have done such a great job with these kittys! Your little boy looks like he is in much better health then the original pictures you

posted. I hope he gets comfortable enough to come inside some day and gets along with your other kittys. Good job!

Yes, Wellington''s condition has GREATLY improved. His left eye still runs a little - but it no longer looks infected. It is really amazing what regular feedings have done for him. He takes much better care of himself - bathing constantly. He looks like a regular indoor cat.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 10:36:49 AM
Author: siamese3
I love seeing pictures of Wellington and reading your story. He really is so handsome.... there is something so special about earning the trust of an animal.. good luck and I hope you''ll keep us up to date with your progress!

Thank you, siamese3. Wellington is very special. I can''t wait until I can pick him up and hold him.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
So wonderful to hear this fantastic update about Louise and Wellington - sounds like your efforts have really paid off and they both have a good future ahead of them - what a wonderful thing you have done here (and LOVE handsome Mr. Wellington
30.gif
30.gif
)
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, LAJennifer - I absolutely love Wellington! I have a Lynx Point Siamese mix (Takumi) that showed up on my doorstep when he was just 9 months old, and he looks a LOT like Wellington.

You''re such a good kitty Mom!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad you found Louise a home and are helping out Wellie. I do have mix feelings helping cats not knowing if they were fixed, but sounds like you will bring him in to check that out. I also wouldn''t call these cats feral, more strays (probably had some kind of human contact while young). We rescued a cat off the road taking it to the vet, bringing it home after getting stitches. My husband wanted to keep it (beautiful animal) but once it recovered from it''s injuries, it didn''t want anything to do with us, would hiss and try to scratch/bite us when we approached its cage (feeding it was harrowing). We ended up giving it to someone who had a farm. Not saying feral cats can''t warm up to people, but it is a long long process, and never really the same as a stray or pet.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
LAJen - just wanted to contribute additional hope re: Wellington becoming a lap kitty. My kitty Gretchen, when we got her at 6 months old, was so terrified she wouldn''t come near me or my husband for months after we brought her home. With a great deal of patience and love, however, she has bonded beautifully, and is now one of the sweetest kitties I''ve ever met - every night she jumps on the bed and meows until I snuggle with her, she purrs when I pick her up, and she loves to be held like a baby. I''m sure with time, Wellington will turn into an affectionate fellow
1.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Lauren. I would love to see pics of your kitty!

Hi PartGypsy. Wellington is already fixed. His right ear is tipped (indicating trap, neuter, and release) and he has no testicles. He has really warmed up to me, but he does run from people he doesn't know. He used to hiss at me - but today he wanted me to rub his tummy while he took a nap. So sweet.

AmberGretchen - thanks for the encouragement. I think Wellie will soon become a lap kitty. I think his biggest challenge will be learning to live indoors. I almost feel badly about it, because he is very content outside - though I feel he belongs on my couch.

Check out the newest update: Wellington

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
***UPDATE***

Louise and her kittens are up for adoption. Thought those of you following this story would like to see pics. Louise had 6 kittens (3 boys and 3 girls) and boy are they cute. You can see them online at http://kittenrescue.org/pages.php?pageid=57 - you need to scroll down near the bottom. Her kittens are Pedro, Akira, Opie, Quentina, Ryuichi and Sofia.

You can see Louise at http://kittenrescue.org/pages.php?pageid=58 - again, scroll near the bottom and look for Mama C Ta Louisa.

I am so thankful to the organization, Kitten Rescue. Together, we have saved 7 lives.

As for Wellington - I am still on my 3 week trip and Wellington is safe at my friend's place. He doesn't want to be friends with her (I'm hoping he just misses me - as he was friendly towards her when I was present), but he eats his food and uses the litter box - so all is well. I hope to have him at my place next Monday - can't wait! I hope he isn't mad at me for leaving for 3 weeks.

ETA - Wellington's eyes have not been the least bit runny since he has been indoors. The poor baby probably had allergies.

Shoeless356

Rough_Rock
Hi LAJennifer!
I can't even believe I stumbled upon this thread in a jewelry forum, of all places! LOL... I have your cat Seth's sister! I was looking through my vet records for our Egyptian Maus (we had three, which I'll tell you about later if you are interested)

Sad news: we only have one left and I knew her birthday was coming up this month, but I couldn't remember exactly what day, so I pulled out her pedigree and just for fun, started Googling her name as well as her mother's and father's names.

Well I found this thread where you said your boy Seth's mother is Grandtrill's Mecca Maat, which is the name on my kittie's pedigree too as the Dam. How cool is that?

I am going to try to send you a private message here just in case you aren't actively following this VERY old thread anymore! :twirl:

My best,
Monica (aka Shoeless)

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Shoeless356|1374621483|3488776 said:
Hi LAJennifer!
I can't even believe I stumbled upon this thread in a jewelry forum, of all places! LOL... I have your cat Seth's sister! I was looking through my vet records for our Egyptian Maus (we had three, which I'll tell you about later if you are interested)

Sad news: we only have one left and I knew her birthday was coming up this month, but I couldn't remember exactly what day, so I pulled out her pedigree and just for fun, started Googling her name as well as her mother's and father's names.

Well I found this thread where you said your boy Seth's mother is Grandtrill's Mecca Maat, which is the name on my kittie's pedigree too as the Dam. How cool is that?

I am going to try to send you a private message here just in case you aren't actively following this VERY old thread anymore! :twirl:

My best,
Monica (aka Shoeless)

Hi Monica. I would love to hear about your kitties. I never received Seth's papers, so I don't know (remember) who his Sire was. He was born in July 1999 (I thought it was the 1st, but I could be wrong). There was only 2 in his litter - he had a sister. Is that the one you have or is yours from another litter? Seth is doing great. He is definitely the boss of the house and he is very vocal. I think I found you on FB and sent you a friend request. Thank you for finding this thread. I've always wondered about the rest of his birth family.

Shoeless356

Rough_Rock
Jennifer,
Our girl is a beautiful and very petite Bronze Egyptian Mau named Goldie. Her "official" name off the pedigree papers is "Bacamamdit's Goodas Gold of Sansih" but clearly we don't call her anything close to that silliness!

She was born July 31, 1996 so she's turning 17 next week! She is not a litter-mate to your boy Seth, but they share the same mother. Her father's name was "Bacamamdit's Johnie On The Spot" and I don't know much about him at all except that both her parents were Champions. Goldie herself was not a show cat to my knowledge. She doesn't have the temperament for it. Heck for the first seven years we had her we couldn't even hold her. NOW of course she is a snuggle bunny lap-cat which we love.

I'll see if I can upload a picture of her here. I've never done it so crossing my fingers!

Monica

img_2450_-_version_2.jpg

Shoeless356

Rough_Rock
Sorry Jennifer... I forgot to tell you that I didn't see any new friend requests on Facebook. Not unusual because you can't BELIEVE how many people have my name! LOL... I'm in Atlanta if that helps. :)

Monica Ricci

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Shoeless356|1374637569|3488964 said:
Sorry Jennifer... I forgot to tell you that I didn't see any new friend requests on Facebook. Not unusual because you can't BELIEVE how many people have my name! LOL... I'm in Atlanta if that helps. :)

Monica Ricci

Actually, I "liked" your business page and sent you a direct message there.

I really want to connect with you. This situation under which I acquired Seth was unusual.

Grandtrill stopped breeding and a "new" breeder took most of her cats. Her name was Evelyn and her cattery was Mammisi. She was a nice lady but I learned she was very inexperienced and a bit overwhelmed. I purchased a silver kitten from her (Moses) summer of 1999. His sire was Grandtrill's Sterling. He came down with FIP and had to be put down at 6 months of age. The breeder accepted responsibility and offered to replace him. I wasn't comfortable with that at the time because I had another kitten (Electra) that had been with Moses for 3 months and had been greatly exposed to the coronavirus that causes FIP. She had a very high titer and, back then, the vets weren't sure if FIP was communicable or a mutation of the coronavirus (now it is known to be a mutation). Nine months later, Electra and I moved across the country and she was very lonely when I would go to work. I decided to take the breeder up on her offer of a replacement kitten. I didn't want to put a small kitten with her, and the breeder had a 10 month old that was about her size (Seth). Linda from Bacamamdit had been helping her out - Linda had Mecca at the time, so I believe Seth was born there but the kittens ended up with Evelyn. Seth was so wild as a kitten, that he couldn't be placed - he couldn't be held at all. But he sounded like a character and I thought he would be a good match for my "high energy" Electra. So she put him on a plane and that is how he came to be mine. Linda and Evelyn had a falling out and that is why I never received his papers.

I emailed Linda a few years ago asking about his information. She replied that she would have to look through her records and then I never heard back.

It sounds like your Goldie and my Seth share the same temperament. Seth is 14 and I am still the only person that can pick him up. Medicating him is pretty much impossible (ear drops, etc). He is a piggy though, so if he needs antibiotics, etc. it is easy to hide it in his wet food. He is very friendly, though. He has never known an enemy. He started to age at about 9 years old. I took in Wellington (the feral) when Seth was 11. That has been the best thing for him. They play and Seth takes care of him like a mother would. He played a big role in Wellington's taming process and he has taught him how to be a house cat. His addition to the family has given Seth a whole new purpose.

Does Goldie have any health issues? I'm just wondering if there is anything genetically I should be on the lookout for. Seth had crystals in his urine when he was 2 or 3 years old. That was very scary but he hasn't had any problem since (better food and more wet food). He does have to have his anal glands expressed kind of often. Other than that he is in good shape.

ETA - Moses' sire was Sansih Sterling (not Grandtrill Sterling).

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and regarding Mecca Maat - I believe her mother (dam) was a feral from the streets of Egypt. Seth has retained her temperament and it sounds like Goldie has too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope Louise is safe and happy - I believe she was a Tonkinese like my Avatar not a Siamese because she had a more rounded body and face. I love all of your cats and think it's fantastic that just because they were once either feral or abandoned by people that you have enough compassion to take them back in!!!!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
My cat Mittens was born feral. He was picked up by animal control at around 6 months of age. Poor thing was a mess - his long coat and bushy tail were matted and full of fleas. But those extra toes on each paw (Hemingway cat) just sucked me in. Took a while and I never pushed but he just learned to trust me more each day. Now he is the most affectionate cat ever, always greeting me with a head butt or rubbing up against my face.

As far as the food, when you can bring them to the vet for an examination. It turned out mine had crystals in the urine and needed a special kind of food.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1374644384|3489007 said:
I hope Louise is safe and happy - I believe she was a Tonkinese like my Avatar not a Siamese because she had a more rounded body and face. I love all of your cats and think it's fantastic that just because they were once either feral or abandoned by people that you have enough compassion to take them back in!!!!

Thank you, arkieb. Louise does look a lot like the cat in your avatar (what a cutie!). Louise was adopted as soon as her kittens were weaned. Actually, she was adopted before any of her kittens. Her Daddy is a writer with a townhouse, and I heard that he loves her to pieces. So, it was a very happy ending for her. I still miss her, though.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1374679692|3489191 said:
My cat Mittens was born feral. He was picked up by animal control at around 6 months of age. Poor thing was a mess - his long coat and bushy tail were matted and full of fleas. But those extra toes on each paw (Hemingway cat) just sucked me in. Took a while and I never pushed but he just learned to trust me more each day. Now he is the most affectionate cat ever, always greeting me with a head butt or rubbing up against my face.

As far as the food, when you can bring them to the vet for an examination. It turned out mine had crystals in the urine and needed a special kind of food.

I love this story, Ruby59. When a feral decides to trust you, it is very special indeed. Wellington has been a member of our family for 3 years now, and he continues to surprise me every day. I remember thinking (in the beginning) that I would never be able to give him a kiss. He now gives me hundreds of kisses a day and is my most affectionate cat. He is grateful, he behaves, and is not selfish at all. He loves having a home and a family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results