shape
carat
color
clarity

where to stay in seattle, washington

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
We are planning to be in Seattle Washington in the next 2 weeks. We would like to be near the city as we are literally going to be there for one, maybe 2 days to do passports only. then we are driving back to Salem.

We are a party of 2 adults and 1 child and 1 infant. Any recommendations?
am looking into wotif and also lastminute, but not sure where things are. trying to stay under$200/ night

Thanx in advance...

adding address of passport office: 300 5th Ave Seattle, WA 98104, United States

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might also try Bellevue or Redmond for a place to stay and then just drive into Seattle as needed. There are some great places to stay and you'd be within 20 minutes or so.

I stayed in the Marriot in Bellevue (Redmond? -- near the Microsoft campus) once and liked it.

FI's mom stayed in Seattle once and really enjoyed her stay at the Marriot there too.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't often stay in hotels that are so close to home. (We live about 20-30 minutes away from Seattle)

MUST try food -- Mediterranean Kitchen (in downtown Bellevue)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
thanx too patient.

will look into it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bellevue is nice, just keep in mind that 520 is a toll bridge so every time you drive across it from the Eastside (Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, etc.), into Seattle, it'll cost about $3.80 or something like that.

ETA - and sorry, I also don't know of any places, either because we're also close to Seattle. Usually, when we stay anywhere, it's a cabin or someplace to get away from it all and they all are a few hours outside of the city.

I would check Yelp and also look on the bedbugregistry. I know that sounds odd, but when trying to find a hotel for our last vacation was confusing so I ended up looking up all the hotels and finding one without any complaints. Some of the nicer/popular places had many. :knockout:

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I work in that general area and, while I haven't stayed in any of the hotels nearby, there are definitely lots of options. Have you narrowed it down at all based on hotels.com, Tripadvisor, Expedia, etc? The closest hotel is probably the Doubletree Arctic Club, but the block its on can be a little shady at night. I'd go for hotels with a bit higher numbers (like 1520 5th Ave or something like that), which are closer to Pike Place Market, shopping, the Space Needle, etc if you're interested in those. The main problems with downtown hotels will be parking and the fact that its our main tourist season so rates will be high and availability limited. If you're driving, it might make sense to stay further away and just drive in for your appointment. Be prepared for either a possibly long hunt for street parking or high fees for garages. DON'T stay at any hotel on Aurora Ave, though, they tend to be sketchy!

In addition to the warning about tolls on 520, the bridge is in the process of being rebuilt so there are often delays and closures. You can take the I-90 bridge as an alternative, but traffic can sometimes be an issue there too. You could definitely stay on the Eastside if you want, just plan travel well ahead if you do.

In a nutshell, downtown is easy but expensive. Eastside is probably cheaper but potentially a hassle to get to your appointment. Points north and south of the downtown area pose similar issues to the Eastside with maybe slightly less traffic hassle but maybe not as nice areas to stay in. Don't know if that helps at all...

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot about the toll! Thanks MC and Octavia for catching that!

Look for possibilities in Issaquah as a good option too. It is super easy to get onto I-90 from there and if you are able to avoid the worst few hours the traffic into Seattle isn't too awful. (during those few hours and if there is an accident though :errrr: ). We went across to Seattle this direction quite a few times last year and really didn't run into many issues. (trips ranging from 8am to 11pm)

Seattle does have nicer areas but also has some pretty questionable spots as well. If you find a few places you like, you might post them to be sure you avoid the not so nice places.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1375299204|3493924 said:
. DON'T stay at any hotel on Aurora Ave, though, they tend to be sketchy!.

lol! Actually, yeah, along with Aurora, anything on Hwy 99...yikes!

A couple things to keep in mind is traffic can be horrible in Seattle. I can make a drive into there in 20 min but it'll take me 45 min or longer to make it back out. It's totally a pain. Also, when looking at hotels, make sure it's not too close to I-5 because it's LOUD! I accidentally rented us a room at hotel along it (when visiting CA) and only got a couple hours sleep even with a pillow over my head. We ended up leaving that place early.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1375299756|3493930 said:
Forgot about the toll! Thanks MC and Octavia for catching that!

Look for possibilities in Issaquah as a good option too. It is super easy to get onto I-90 from there and if you are able to avoid the worst few hours the traffic into Seattle isn't too awful. (during those few hours and if there is an accident though :errrr: ). We went across to Seattle this direction quite a few times last year and really didn't run into many issues. (trips ranging from 8am to 11pm)

Seattle does have nicer areas but also has some pretty questionable spots as well. If you find a few places you like, you might post them to be sure you avoid the not so nice places.

Yeah, I just sent in a pink envelope a couple weeks ago so I felt the pain of the little toll-bridge bill. lol I wonder how confusing it would be with a rental car since they send you the bill using your license plate?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
thanx octavia for your review!!!

i will be keeping those in mind when i do the research!

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Hi Greg,

We stayed at the Sheraton for a wedding a few summers ago. Liked the location. I was just reading the latest trip advisor reviews and it seems to be used by the cruise ships which is not a plus in my opinion! But thought I should mention it in case you would like to check it out. Have fun!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I go all the time for business. I've stayed at the Fairmont (posh) and the Hotel Vintage Park. The Vintage Park is right on 5th ave and a few blocks from where you need to go. You could walk. Keep in mind that downtown is expensive to park - Vintage Park will charge about $35 a night to park. It was $40 or $45 at the Fairmont. :-o

One of the things you might want to try is see if they have a corporate rate. I've never used this tactic when it wasn't legitimate, so I'll leave it to you from an ethical standpoint, but if there is a huge corporate headquarters nearby, they usually have negotiated rates with local hotels.

Amazon and Microsoft are headquartered in Seattle/Bellevue-Redmond respectively.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS the Hotel Vintage Park is a cute little hotel (Kimpton family of hotels. The Hotel Monaco I believe is another one closeby). Don't get the queen room - book a King bed on a higher floor. I've been stuck with a horrid, small, dark queen bed room before. And with your family you'd probably need the extra space.

They have a wine/cheese reception every evening, and it was my favorite hotel to stay in before I started to stay at the Fairmont.

I have always stayed at the Edgewater a long time ago (loved it, but kind of far enough not to be convenient) and Courtyard Marriott Lake Union (meh, but it's clean and parking is free. Plus it's clean. But again, a bit of a drive to where you need to be.)

ViolaDiamante

Rough_Rock
I'm from Eastern Washington and go to Seattle every couple of months. We usually stay with friends, but have also gotten hotels regularly. I've stayed at the Edgewater which is (surprise) right on the water and I also really like the Pan Pacific, although I think the last time I checked, rooms there might be more than $200. The Edgewater is probably a more family friendly atmosphere. It's a pretty short walk to Pike's Place, etc. For only a night or two I don't think I would hassle with staying in another area outside of downtown, unless I was looking for a much less expensive hotel. The Sheraton has a pretty good location too, although the room we got there through expedia was definitely waiting to be updated!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
travelling gal- thanx so much! will llook into it!

thAnx, too viola diamonte!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
After much searching on websites and also hotels recommended and our budget, we have narrowed it to 2 hotels:

1) red lion hotel on fifth.
2) silver cloud seattle broadway.

Has anyone have comments on the above 2 hotels? one over the other or dont stay at either?

thanx

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1375605711|3496294 said:
After much searching on websites and also hotels recommended and our budget, we have narrowed it to 2 hotels:

Has anyone have comments on the above 2 hotels? one over the other or dont stay at either?

thanx

I'm not too familiar with where the nice areas end and the not so nice begin. Hopefully the other ladies can answer better!

I seem to remember driving by Red Lion and thinking it was in an okay location. Most of the places I've visited on 5th have been okay -- but I've NEVER been around after dark so don't know how they look then.

Broadway has always been a place I've avoided. I don't remember which parts were good and not so good. It may be that I've combined in my memory a bad experience on a different Broadway (like the one in Everett).

Have you checked availability at these? I'm not sure what dates you are coming, but I plugged in Thursday night of this coming week and they are sold out of rooms.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i looked at sunday and monday night. realistically, it would be about the time when we get to seattle. both had availability.

hoping some Seattle-ite ppl would chime in to let me know their thoughts...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

thanx

I've not stayed at either but would probably pick the Red Lion on 5th because you're close to more activities...Seattle Art Museum, Pike Place Market, and with a short drive, the Aquarium. There's tons of other stuff to do there. Also, Seattle Science Center! (and there is the monorail that runs along the science center...it's been a long time since we rode that but you can see if it helps with visiting the science center w/out having to drive all the way there.)

The other hotel isn't close to much that I know of...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Red Lion on 5th is an awesome location. Close to where you need to be for the passport, and a lot to do nearby. I don't even know where Broadway is, but that doesn't seem convenient to anything. Downtown can be painful to get around in peak hour, so stay on 5th!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi travelling gal and MC, will go with the Red lion on the fifth! another decision made!

just waiting for the BC to arrive and then i can make arrangements. exciting!! WOo hoo!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1375756008|3497367 said:
Hi travelling gal and MC, will go with the Red lion on the fifth! another decision made!

just waiting for the BC to arrive and then i can make arrangements. exciting!! WOo hoo!

Yay! Sounds better for a family. My boys & I go into Seattle often, and around pike place & the science center are great. I do go up to the Broadway area but it's been years since I took the kids there. The activities there are more for a night-on-the-town for adults vs family sight seeing. Capital Hill is really laid back, though, so it's a good place to do light shopping & lunch or night out w/your SO.

If you're looking for more family activities, let us know.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1375660761|3496606 said:

thanx

I'm not too familiar with where the nice areas end and the not so nice begin. Hopefully the other ladies can answer better!

I seem to remember driving by Red Lion and thinking it was in an okay location. Most of the places I've visited on 5th have been okay -- but I've NEVER been around after dark so don't know how they look then.

Broadway has always been a place I've avoided. I don't remember which parts were good and not so good. It may be that I've combined in my memory a bad experience on a different Broadway (like the one in Everett).

Have you checked availability at these? I'm not sure what dates you are coming, but I plugged in Thursday night of this coming week and they are sold out of rooms.

Broadway in Everett is way scary! It is freaky the entire strip...in Seattle, there are some ok parts and some quirky shops & fun food, but Everett is scary from the north part all the way down to 112th! The worst part about downtown Everett is the safety rating changes block by block.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1375770550|3497444 said:
TooPatient|1375660761|3496606 said:

thanx

Broadway in Everett is way scary! It is freaky the entire strip...in Seattle, there are some ok parts and some quirky shops & fun food, but Everett is scary from the north part all the way down to 112th! The worst part about downtown Everett is the safety rating changes block by block.

I always hated driving through that area of Everett! I could be in an area I knew and felt safe and then turn a corner and find myself looking for the quickest way out.

Good to know that there are some things worth visiting in that part of Seattle. I've been branching out over the last couple of years and trying to see more of the area. There seem to be some wonderful things to see if you know where to look (and where to avoid!).

Greg -- I hope you and your family get to enjoy your time in the area. The weather should be perfect! If you were here longer, there is so much to see! (Leavenworth and the San Juan Islands to name just a couple!)

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a late reply to second the Red Lion location as more central to both the Federal Bldg where the Passport Office is and some of the activities.

Two things you might want to consider doing: 1) riding the Seattle Wheel which is down on the waterfront and 2) Ride the Ducks which is an amphibious vehicle tour of some of the sites so you are both on the road and in the water. It's corny, but a lot of fun and a great way to see the city on a nice day. Both would work for small children and probably an infant (check with Ride the Ducks first though). If the Ducks don't work out, you could take an Argosy Cruise too which should be fine with an infant. The Seattle Wheel is walkable from the Red Lion for adults but maybe not with kids in tow as it's a steep walk down and then back up. Ride the Ducks is probably easier to take the Monorail from Westlake than to drive and then pay for parking. Plus, you get to ride on a monorail. Hope you have a great time.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thank guys!! Really appreciate all the suggestions!
Rainwood- will def check out some on your lists!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1375780147|3497461 said:
This is a late reply to second the Red Lion location as more central to both the Federal Bldg where the Passport Office is and some of the activities.

Two things you might want to consider doing: 1) riding the Seattle Wheel which is down on the waterfront and 2) Ride the Ducks which is an amphibious vehicle tour of some of the sites so you are both on the road and in the water. It's corny, but a lot of fun and a great way to see the city on a nice day. Both would work for small children and probably an infant (check with Ride the Ducks first though). If the Ducks don't work out, you could take an Argosy Cruise too which should be fine with an infant. The Seattle Wheel is walkable from the Red Lion for adults but maybe not with kids in tow as it's a steep walk down and then back up. Ride the Ducks is probably easier to take the Monorail from Westlake than to drive and then pay for parking. Plus, you get to ride on a monorail. Hope you have a great time.

The wheel is really cool! You get an amazing view of the city and surrounding waters. Be prepared to wait a while. I think we waited in line for 45 min, but it's worth it...(maybe buy tickets online.)

http://seattlegreatwheel.com/

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I dont think we are going to do the wheel, DH is scared of heights... thanx tho.

I love you guys given suggestions on what to do!

LOVE LOVE LOVE>....

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
gregchang35|1375848553|3498052 said:
I dont think we are going to do the wheel, DH is scared of heights... thanx tho.

I love you guys given suggestions on what to do!

LOVE LOVE LOVE>....

Oh no!

I just re-read your first post and you'll only be here a couple of days, so with Seattle traffic as it is, half of that time might result being stuck in gridlock - so it's probably good you picked a hotel right downtown. :errrr: That aside, how old is the older of your kids? I might be able to think of something that you, your DH and your older child may like (depending upon age)...

What types of activities do you like? Zoo or Aquarium? Art Museums? Food? I found that with younger kid, it was always best to do activities rather than food b/c there is less pressure to have the kids stay calm. I've always wanted to check out the Melting Pot, but haven't done that b/c I've heard it's better w/out the kids...my kids *might* be ready for it by now.

With only a couple of days, you might find just walking around Pike Place and then visiting the Seattle Aquarium to be perfect. There are some museums I take my boys to every year that have always been free or just donation requested (and there is free parking) but that's if you're into museums. The Seattle Science Center is always a safe bet. I've been taking my kids there since little...there are exhibits, 3-D movies, laser shows, planetarium, etc... Just be sure to check times because, except for last week, we always ended up missing out even by arriving 45 min early. It took us three times before we arrived to get spots for the planetarium and my kids LOVED it but I almost fell asleep. The Butterfly 3-D show might be really enjoyable for your toddler, but that only plays on certain days/times...The Chihuly glass exhibit is great too and it's $38 for two adults...it's a bit more pricey for older kids, but if yours are under 4, they're free...otherwise, it's closer to $70... My two boys loved it, though...

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Oldest is 2.5yo. We did the Oregon aquarium today and she loved it!!!

I think pike place and the zoo or aquarium will be great. I think that will be senses overloaded by then. It all depends when we get the BC. Anxiously waiting....

I don't think we are likely to be at the GTG. And whilst I like to think that it is possible, given when the passport office is going to be open, it is more likely that we are boing to be in Seattle during the week. We may even stay an extra day given all the activities that u guys have suggested.

Thank so much MC!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1375853747|3498095 said:
Oldest is 2.5yo. We did the Oregon aquarium today and she loved it!!!

I think pike place and the zoo or aquarium will be great. I think that will be senses overloaded by then. It all depends when we get the BC. Anxiously waiting....

I don't think we are likely to be at the GTG. And whilst I like to think that it is possible, given when the passport office is going to be open, it is more likely that we are boing to be in Seattle during the week. We may even stay an extra day given all the activities that u guys have suggested.

Thank so much MC!

Stay an extra day! If you're coming all this way you might as well get to see the sights!

Argosy Cruise -- Tillicum Village was lots of fun but they've got others too.
Aquarium & Zoo
The underground tour is said to be interesting too, but I've never been -- I think Argosy does a package with this if you want to combine it with a cruise.
Seattle Science Center
Microsoft Visitor's Center (in Redmond) -- if you're interested in that, I wasn't too impressed but some people really like it
Leavenworth -- this would be full day trip (same day over and back is okay but 2+ hours each way) but is amazing
Marci's Jewelry (in Bellevue) -- LOVE this place. They might also be able to point you at a good place to look for a watch.
Museum of Flight (Seattle) -- Lots of fun, not too expensive, great exhibits/movies/etc

Depending on when you are here, there might be local festivals going on. Some of the farmer's markets are great too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results