movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Where to post this? A column about different kinds of ri

great read! thank you for posting it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Great read! I especially liked this...

" Loving a thing is shallow only if you don’t deeply appreciate its emotional (as well as intrinsic) value."

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a really great article. I remember the crap I used to get (or perhaps felt I used to get) when I chose to wear another ring over the engagement ring given to me. The rings I wear which are chosen by me have great emotional value to me. They make me happy, remind me of what I want and where I was when I bought them. Glad I'm not the only one!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

There is nothing wrong with loving beauty for its own sake. Our Puritan past makes us feel guilty when we do -- but it's the need for and appreciation of beauty that makes us human.

The article had me right up until the last paragraph about being engaged to herself. How very Boomer & beyond, all wrapped up in love of the Self. Before that point, it seemed she was writing about how we relegate beauty to the back of the room & the rediscovery of the pure joy it gives us. That's the message to take away, imo.

--- Laurie

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great read, and I can relate to it myself, with the purchase of my EC that is my right hand ring to celebrate by 40th (I shall be 50 next year), and I wear it with pride, joy and a hint of sadness, reminding me of the good and bad times that had past, that made me the way I am today, etc. etc. etc...

DK :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

JewelFreak said:
There is nothing wrong with loving beauty for its own sake. Our Puritan past makes us feel guilty when we do -- but it's the need for and appreciation of beauty that makes us human.

The article had me right up until the last paragraph about being engaged to herself. How very Boomer & beyond, all wrapped up in love of the Self. Before that point, it seemed she was writing about how we relegate beauty to the back of the room & the rediscovery of the pure joy it gives us. That's the message to take away, imo.

--- Laurie

I read it as a pun- it's not be engaged TO myself, it's be engaged BY myself, right, maybe because she got so wrapped up in the humdrum day-to-day of it all? I kinda like that ....

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Circe|1389362816|3590241 said:
JewelFreak said:

--- Laurie

I read it as a pun- it's not be engaged TO myself, it's be engaged BY myself, right, maybe because she got so wrapped up in the humdrum day-to-day of it all? I kinda like that ....

I liked it, too. It made me remember that you have to love yourself else before you can truly love someone else.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I liked it a lot! I also kinda wanna see this black pearl ring.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I liked this essay! All of the NYT Modern Love essays tend to be very good, submitted by laymen and surprisingly well written.

As a cheap person myself, I can relate to buying something cheap and later being dissatisfied with it. And over the years I've learned not to cheap out, it seems that when I finally break down and spend some $$$ (still not the $$$$$$) I have more long term satisfaction. In other words, it's better to buy one big thing with great care than a bunch of little cheap things.

A thing of beauty if a joy forever. :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

iLander|1389364312|3590261 said:
...............As a cheap person myself, I can relate to buying something cheap and later being dissatisfied with it. And over the years I've learned not to cheap out, it seems that when I finally break down and spend some $$$ (still not the $$$$$$) I have more long term satisfaction. In other words, it's better to buy one big thing with great care than a bunch of little cheap things. A thing of beauty if a joy forever. :love:

this has been my experience as well.
over time the $ spent on those little cheap things added up to more than what the item that I really wanted would have cost.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

I liked this article! Gives some good thoughts to think about and put life into perspective.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I enjoyed that article - thanks for posting it!

SMC

Ideal_Rock

I really enjoyed reading this article too. Thank you for posting!

One of my friends lost her husband at 34 too (she was 32 or 33) to cancer too. She still wore her ring for a little while after that, but has been sans ring recently.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

Interesting way of relating her jewelery to her journey through life. As life opened up to be less about responsibilities and more carefree I'm glad she was able to embrace and enjoy the fancy pearl ring!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

I enjoyed that article too.
I'm not sure why people who do not care for beautiful things make judgements against people who do appreciate them though.
Glad this particular lady opened her heart and mind and intellect to better appreciate beauty in her daily life.
Refinement of the senses is one of the things that sets us apart from the animals is it not?
It is related to creative expression and it need not be elitist or expensive.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My past purchasing experiences have re-affirmed my belief that it is better to buy once by buying the best.

DK :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I love that story. Jewelry means different things to different people, and sometimes just finding beauty is enough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results