shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do they get these guys???

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I was out shopping today and walked by a Kay Jewelers. My rings were very dirty so I went in on a whim to have them cleaned. The ring I wear most is a three stone bezel which looks vintage, but the stones are all mrbs. The clerk, a mature gentleman, took out his loupe and said " oh, an old european cut" and rather than start a discussion I just nodded. Then he said "no, it's an old mine cut". At that point I demurred and he said "well, they're really the same".

So my question is, do these guys get any training at all?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's really a case of who helps you at any given time. Sterling (Kay Jewelers) employs people with decades of experience and some with one week of experience. I've encountered both and the levels of diamond education also vary from person to person. Training is always available, so it's up to the person to take advantage of it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I would assume that if you are going to hire someone to sell jewelry, then they would have to know the product, so I would guess that they have a certain amount of training and/or expertise.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1429900168|3867240 said:
I would assume that if you are going to hire someone to sell jewelry, then they would have to know the product, so I would guess that they have a certain amount of training and/or expertise.

We'd hope so! The Kay Jewelry line doesn't include antique stones, so their training probably wouldn't include either OMCs or OECs. Actually, I suspect it's focused on closing the deal ;))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I agree with VR. They are likely schooled on the product at hand (as well as basic sales technique), so I wouldn't be surprised if they had limited knowledge of antique stones.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of the mall jewelry stores want their employees to push credit, layaway, insurance packages and other extras that make the store more profit. I know for a fact that department stores like Macy's that do sell diamond jewelry offer their sales associates zero training on the product but regular training on customer service and opening up credit accounts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results