carat
color
clarity

When will you call it quits?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom|1380113193|3526971 said:
I think I'm pretty much there right now. I am currently culling out the collection to only those pieces that I love and wear. What's the use of having all that jewelry just to have it sit? I have my list of wants that I am filling and when that is done I think I will be pretty much done. I find as I get older I'm much more interested in quality vs quantity. That's not to say that something may not catch my eye in the future :naughty: but my days of having to have something in every color and cut are long gone.

I am also here....the last line certainly resonated with me.

That said, I am currently (only) seeking branded pieces. Mostly vintage (limited new), unique, branded pieces. I just let one slip away and I am KICKING myself! UGH! Yet, I keep positive. :bigsmile: because as Missy said, it provides pleasure.

And Circe, I still have my "eye" on your turquoise Tiffany necklace....... ;))

cheers--Sharon

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal said:
.... And Circe, I still have my "eye" on your turquoise Tiffany necklace....... ;))

cheers--Sharon

Why, thank you! The highest compliment a collector can give, I always say. :)

That's such a good example, though ... I wear that, what, a dozen times a year, if that? But every time, I feel like a QUEEN. I just got another fancy necklace, an Edwardian seed pearl thing that I'll probably wear even less frequently ... but just LOOKing at it brings me so much pleasure. Sort of like keeping my art in my jewelry box instead of my walls, I guess ....

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I've come a long way. When I started mostly lurking, there were just a few things I wanted, an anniversary ring to replace my lost emerald ring (done), pair of diamond studs (done) a demantoid necklace (done, but then lost/stolen). I have a number of things I'd love to have, (hard not to when looking at what is posted in colored gemstones and show me the bling!) but the last big thing I still want is nice emerald ring to replace the mini green lantern I used to have. For that end, I sold some jewelry and gems I was not as attached to. So I FEEL like I'm close to the end of the road, but who knows. Obviously if I had more disposable income my "list" would expand, and not saying I still wont get a few pieces here and there, but I'm over the big obsessions.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, I feel like I'm slowly losing the bug. It's not that I don't like wearing jewelry, but [because of PS!] I know too much and analyze purchases too hard. I want the perfect ring AND the great deal. I've also had recent bad insurance experience and knowing that I'm wearing three new honda accord's worth of jewelry sometimes brings me anxiety.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
since I just upgraded my e-ring, I just have a couple of things I want.

1. 2 bands to go with the e-ring similar to kate beckinsale's wedding set.

2. An aquamarine ring (BIG- at least 4-5 carats) with a VC split shank halo.

3. If we ever hit the lottery, or DH gets a GIGANTIC promotion, I'd want an AVR or AVC in the 3-4 carat size. Not sure on setting. :lol:

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1380205095|3527619 said:
I keep coming back to this thread to read people's answers. I think what I find so interesting is the idea that an enjoyable thing should be finite. I felt that way about, say, smoking, which is was actively bad for me - I'd quit when I passed my orals, submitted my thesis, graduated, whatever. But it was a thing I KNEW was bad for me that I should quit. I guess I don't really see much of anything else in my life that way ... the internet, maybe? :cheeky:

With jewelry, I think of it more as a collection than as something utilitarian that I need to use X times per year to have it pay for itself. Exercise equipment, on the other hand, or for that matter, anything else that takes up a lot of space in my NYC apartment ... that will get jettisoned cold-bloodedly (just cleared another 8 shelves worth of books in my last cull, yay!). Sure, it helps that jewelry takes up next to no space, but things like my vintage train case collection do, and *they* don't bug me, because they're a source of pleasure, and that's their only point.

Maybe it's the difference between the "one ring" mentality and the "ring a day" mentality - the minimalist mentality vs. the collector's mentality?

I like the way you think.It's true that jewelry doesn't take up too much space, so why do some of us constantly feel that if we don't wear it all the time, it must surely be put up for sale for someone else to enjoy? I think that as a newbie jewelry collector, and a person whose only other collection was purses, I haven't yet realized that unlike purses, jewelry should never be considered a waste of space just sitting around collecting dust. Because it's true, I can truly appreciate each piece whenever I do get around to wearing it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ms P|1380218292|3527731 said:
To be honest, I feel like I'm slowly losing the bug. It's not that I don't like wearing jewelry, but [because of PS!] I know too much and analyze purchases too hard. I want the perfect ring AND the great deal. I've also had recent bad insurance experience and knowing that I'm wearing three new honda accord's worth of jewelry sometimes brings me anxiety.

That was what caused me to stop and rethink. Why did I want to have so much money just sitting on my hand looking pretty? I know it's practically sacrilegious to say this on PS, but there are so many things I could spend that money on!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty much done, other than the occasional fun piece here and there but it doesn't mean that my appreciation of fine diamonds, coloured stones and jewellery ends too. One can admire without having to buy the world.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results