shape
carat
color
clarity

when and how did this tradition got started? guy giving his GF....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a diamond e-ring.why not thee other way around ? gf surprise the guy with a beautiful e-ring.
1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
That would be so funny. I can just imagine. You know that could be a TV show ?

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I thought they tried the e-ring for the guy. The e-ring and the w-band came as a set and fit together. I don''t remember it lasting very long and I haven''t seen them since.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
When my friend Mark''s "husband" proposed to him he got him a stunning diamond band for the e-ring and then when they got "married" had another one made just like it. Mark wore a tension set ring with a 1ct diamond in it (a little too girly for him even) and when they got "married" he had a matching diamond band to his man''s

It was so very odd to go out to dinner with them and have his bling be as nice or better than mine ;-)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From http://www.adiamondisforever.com/ring/hist.html

This Is Your Moment
The instant two people decide to marry is probably the most intimate and important moment of their lives. It marks the moment two become one forever. As a gift of love, diamonds evoke the romance and magic of traditions that have spanned centuries.

The First Diamond
The diamond acquired its unique status as the ultimate gift of love as far back as the fifteenth century. The tradition of giving a diamond engagement ring as a promise for marriage began in 1477 with Archduke Maximillian of Austria and Mary of Burgundy. At that time, diamonds were looked upon as talismans, or charms, that could enhance the love of a husband for his wife. Even Cupid’s arrows were said to be tipped with diamonds, which had a magic that nothing else could equal. From this time forward, the royal tradition of giving a diamond engagement ring began to be embraced by people around the world, eventually becoming as much of a milestone in one’s life as the engagement itself.

The Brilliance of a Diamond
When diamonds first began to be given as engagement rings, settings were elaborate and did not necessarily show the diamond in its best light. It actually wasn’t until the discovery of diamond mines on the African continent in 1870 that diamonds became accessible to a wider public, increasing demand and influencing design.

The Mysterious Power of a Diamond
Wearing a diamond ring on the fourth finger of the left hand dates far back to ancient Egypt, where it was believed that the vena amoris (the vein of love) ran from that finger directly to the heart.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 3
6.gif
4:17 PM
Author: ame
When my friend Mark''s ''husband'' proposed to him he got him a stunning diamond band for the e-ring and then when they got ''married'' had another one made just like it. Mark wore a tension set ring with a 1ct diamond in it (a little too girly for him even) and when they got ''married'' he had a matching diamond band to his man''s

It was so very odd to go out to dinner with them and have his bling be as nice or better than mine ;-)
That''s like my neighbors. They are the nicest people in the world. I''m pretty chatty with them and you should have seen us in the front yard when I showed them my ring...we were jumping up and down and screaming...it was quite funny. I keep looking at his hand when we''re chit-chatting but I''ve not seen anything yet
4.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know but I found a little history of the negagement ring thing.
http://www.engagement-ring-advice.com/history-of-the-engagement-ring.html

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I gave my husband an engagement ring shortly after we got engaged. Men deserve one too. I''ll have to see if I can take a picture to post.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The basis for the Man getting the ring for the Lady is based on the fact that until very recently in the western world (last 30 years) the male was generally the earner of the family. It was very rare for a Lady to have any resources of her own. Thus, she could not as a routine give anything of monetary value to the man.

The eastern cultures have different rules, but again my understanding is that the gal was unlikely to have any resources.

It is unfortunately that much of world culture has historically treated woman more as chattle than anything else.

I am glad to see things starting to change.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results