What where and how do you eat at home?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SO and I never eat together at home.
I sit at my computer.
He sits at his TV in another room.
We rarely eat the same thing.

Maybe four times a year his family visits so we'll pull the long plastic folding table out of the garage and actually sit down for a meal together.
We have a small house and don't want to dedicate precious floor space to a rarely-used dining table.

99% of what I eat I make from scratch.
I'll make a big pot of something and freeze individual portions in zip lock bags.
One recipe will make 20 or 30 main dishes.
I don't mind the monotony of eating the same thing.
Lots of peas/beans/lentils with a bit of meat thrown in, home-made wheat bread baked twice a week, brown rice, home made yogurt, fresh veges and fruits.

Frozen salmon twice a week.
There is usually a Costco rotisserie chicken in the fridge I'm working on.
Breakfast is usually bulk old fashioned oatmeal with freshly-ground nutmeg, cinnamon, walnuts and dried cherries made with non-fat milk.
Nearly zero junk food.
I air pop corn for snacks, or grab a stalk of celery that's kept in a mug of water in the fridge.
I'm overweight because I don't move enough.

My SO's the polar opposite.
Tons of fast food take out and junk food.

Oh well.
I gave up lecturing and nagging around 10 years ago.
People vary.

At home how/what/where you do you eat?.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make almost everything from scratch. I love to cook, and don't like frozen, processed or convenience foods. I learned this from watching my grandmother, who never made anything from a can or box. There are only two of us, so a package of chicken and a bag of potatoes can turn into many meals. We usually have some kind of cake or cookies that I made for dessert. I have recently been making my own version of frozen fruit bars, also.
My partner and I have dinner at the kichen table every night while watching Jeopardy. Sometimes on weekends we eat at one of our favorite Asian or Middle Eastern restaurants.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
In our house the whole family eats together at the kitchen table for weekday breakfasts and dinners. Weekday lunches, we are at school or work, so none of eat together. As for weekends, we all eat together for all 3 meals, except we "are allowed" to eat in family room, in front of the TV. These are my rules.....this was what went down when I was raised, and that's how I want my nuclear family to eat because I feel that we have a closer family connection that way. My dh was raised in a family where no one ate at the same time, and they are less close-knit as a family.

As for what we eat....

-I make breakfast for everyone each day (differs from bagels and cream cheese, to breakfast sandwiches, pastries, cereal, omlettes, bacon and grits, pancakes), so some are super simple some more elaborate

-I also pack everyone's lunch and make dinner (albeit, very simple one-pot pasta meals) when I get home at 7PM. I pack the kids and hubby "processed food" for lunch, such as hot pockets, pizza, burritos...+ a fruit+ a drink + a snack (bag of chips). I pack myself whatever was left from previous night's dinner and my fruit.

-for dinner, I'm practically an international one-dish wonder. Noodle of some shape or form is usually on the menu because it encompasses all the food groups and I get home late (7PM). I need to get dinner on the table by 7:30. So we have udon, pho, pad thai, spaghetti, chow mein, pastas with various sauces. I serve packaged salad with our entree a lot on the weekdays.

As for weekends, I make more elaborate time-consuming stews, braised stuff, grilled stuff. We eat rice about <1X a week! very rare for a blended Asian family IMO

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny :wavey: We eat most of our meals at home, and I cook most dinners from scratch. The only exceptions are things for my youngests school lunches. He will take a lot of leftovers from dinner to school but also likes a sandwich every few days. I make a menu plan every two weeks and shop from that. It makes life so much easier for me to have a plan than winging it. Right now there are four of us when DH is home and we sit down together. Sometimes when it is just the boys, I will cook something for them that I usually wouldnt eat and I will just skip dinner.

My favorite snack it air popped popcorn, but with that Irish Butter that comes from grass fed cows. I love that stuff! I usually smoke a chicken at least once a week on our BGE and use that for salad lunches for myself. DH has a healthy green goddess dressing, made with grapeseed oil that is to die for so we always have that on hand as well. I don't bake bread anymore because we just dont eat it that much. I do make rolls, and hamburger buns when we need them, and pizza every week. My boys are crazy about bbq chicken pizza these days.

In the morning I drink coffee and peruse the computer with breakfast, or eat at my desk when I am reading . If DH is home we will sometimes go chipotle and share a bowl. I LOVE Chipotle. Dinner is usually eaten together.

I love to make things for the freezer and have an easy dinner ready. We do that mostly in the winter. In summer I love all the fresh veggies,especially tomatoes with basil and feta with a little olive oil. Can't wait for that!i planted about 10 different kinds of tomato plants this year.

Yesterday, I bought a new food processor and I sliced some squash paper thin and sauteed it with mushroms and onions. I usually am not much of a squash fan but it tasted so much better sliced so thin. I am looking forward to slicing veggies for salads this summer with it, quickly and all at one time.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do make breakfast sandwiches , burritos and muffins for my son to eat for breakfast in the morning. All from scratch. But school is done for the year as of today! Yay!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weekday breakfasts are cereal at the dining room table for "A" so she can learn to get a meal for herself and some sort of breakfast (eggs or toast or oatmeal or fruit etc) and fresh espresso in the living room for me and DH (since we eat at a different time than "A")

I pack a lunch for "A" that is healthy and consists of a fresh fruit and some combination of dinner leftovers (or pot of soup made for lunches), sandwich, veggies, and more.

DH and I go home for lunch together. Usually dinner leftovers.

Dinners are all of us together at the table. I cook from scratch almost exclusively (down to stocks and breadcrumbs even) and try to do stuff from all around the world.

Saturday lunch is all together too.

My family always ate in different rooms. Each of us in front of a different TV. I didn't like that so we try to have meals together as much as we can without distractions. We don't do the stilted "so... How was your day" conversations. We just drift from topic to topic. The only things not talked about are animals (if I'm eating beef, don't start mooing and talk about their pretty eyes and what you would name one! Oh... And do NOT talk about the how-to side of butchering!) and issues that need addressed (such as missing homework or whatever)
We aim for relaxed time to enjoy each other.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the couch in the living room. Usually reading w/the tv on. We generally eat the same thing, mostly fast food which is horrible. The only times we eat at the table are when we have people over. If one of us has something going on and has to leave early, we eat separately and not the same thing, but still on the couch.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Work/school week - everyone eats breakfast and dinner together at the table. Breakfast is either toast, cereal or something quick and easy. Dinner is either noodles or rice with stir fried leafy greens and a meat dish of some sort (chicken, pork or fish - grilled, fried, curry or some other).

Weekends
All meals are partaken together at the table. Breakfast will be either poached eggs, freshly grilled Indian bread or some other ethnic food. We usually lunch out and dinner is the usual rice+green+meat affair.

No TV, music or other distractions during meals because I like us to focus on just us, good food and good companionship. We also only use fresh produce for our meals because that's just the way we are used to growing up.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH and I live in a multi-generational home with his family, and we all eat dinner together every night at the table. I have very severe food allergies, so cooking for many people and working around that can be tricky but we make it work! Usually some kind of meat, veggie and side salad. We rotate who makes dinner during the week and it works really well. Lunches are either leftovers or I frequently have work lunch functions, meetings, etc. and I either eat what is provided as I'm able to or order something. Breakfast is 99% of the time Goldfish crackers - my absolute favorite food in the world, and maybe vanilla yogurt at my desk when I get to work.

Weekends DH and I like to eat dinner out at least one night, but we are just as likely to order a pizza and veg out on the couch in front of whatever show we are binge watching on Netflix that week!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so interesting that people don't eat together anymore and I thought that we were the only rare ones who didn't eat the same thing. I eat an all natural diet which means that everything is made from scratch. I also now eat more salad, vegetables and fruits than protein. The veggies and fruits help my digestion since I had my colon removed. My hubby is a strapping 6' 3" tall 220 lb. guy who loves food and eats everything. His preference is hamburger, rib eye steak, porterhouse, boneless breaded pork chops, pork ribs on our grill, pasta of any kind especially jumbo ravioli and stuffed shells and occasionally- I'll get him to eat chicken but he let's me know that it's not his preference. He eats cookies, cake, ice cream etc. and I am sugar free and eat fruit for dessert. He can't eat at a table. He's miserable if he does. He also can't eat unless he's watching TV or reading. He has to be distracted. My family used to share our day over dinner and TV was not allowed to be on during meals. So we eat on a large coffee table in our family room in front of a big flat screen TV. I spend about $300.- a week on food because everything we eat is made from scratch and I don't care for Costco for food.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
During the week, we all get up at different times, so we never eat together for breakfast. Lunch on Saturday is usually each person on his or her own (sandwiches or leftovers), and often we eat out for Sunday lunch. When I cook a meal, which is around 3 times a week, we usually sit at the table together and eat. We always did when the kids were younger, but now that we have one 18 year old left at home, we don't always do it. My husband almost always grills out on the weekend.

I am trying to make our food more healthy, and I buy hormone free chicken and meat. I don't have a great source of fresh organic vegetables, and that is the biggest problem. We try to eat few carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes) and limited sugar. We try to eat yogurt and fruit for snacks and dessert. I have limited recipes that I can make without the carbs, so I really need to find time to research some new ones that are easy. Baked chicken gets boring after awhile! I have learned that many veggies can be lightly coated with olive oil and a little garlic and baked in the oven. That is easy and a healthy way to cook some veggies.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1401767847|3685341 said:
During the week, we all get up at different times, so we never eat together for breakfast. Lunch on Saturday is usually each person on his or her own (sandwiches or leftovers), and often we eat out for Sunday lunch. When I cook a meal, which is around 3 times a week, we usually sit at the table together and eat. We always did when the kids were younger, but now that we have one 18 year old left at home, we don't always do it. My husband almost always grills out on the weekend.

I am trying to make our food more healthy, and I buy hormone free chicken and meat. I don't have a great source of fresh organic vegetables, and that is the biggest problem. We try to eat few carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes) and limited sugar. We try to eat yogurt and fruit for snacks and dessert. I have limited recipes that I can make without the carbs, so I really need to find time to research some new ones that are easy. Baked chicken gets boring after awhile! I have learned that many veggies can be lightly coated with olive oil and a little garlic and baked in the oven. That is easy and a healthy way to cook some veggies.

Yep!

Try food processing (or fine mincing) garlic & herbs together with a bit of olive oil and coating the chicken in that. You can bake it or grill it and it is delicious. Add lemon juice or lime juice as much as 8 hours (morning of cooking) before cooking along with the herbs for added flavor!

Other great combos are cinnamon/cardamom, cumin/coriander/paprika, turmeric/cumin/cayenne.

If you're tired of baking (or it is hot out!), brown the chicken in just a bit of oil then add onions to brown around the chicken before adding the spices and just a bit (1/2 to 1 cup for whole chicken) of water or a handful of tomatoes.

If you leave the lemon/lime out, you can stick chicken in to marinade many days (I've tried up to 5 days with good luck) in advance. I like to do up several different bags worth and then cook as we want. All you've got to do is grab a bag out and bake/fry/grill according to your mood!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'm vegetarian. He's not. Due to our schedules we eat separate things at separate times. The only thing we have in common is when we eat, it's at the coffee table while watching TV (condo, no dining room). The American dream lol.

bluegirl123

Rough_Rock
My husband and I eat dinner together in front of our computers watching a show. He doesn't eat breakfast. Lunch usually consists of leftovers or sandwiches/bagel-wiches, and fruit. I have the same thing, but eat half in the morning as breakfast and the remaining at lunch. After work, we snack on either yoghurt with fruit and jam, or yoghurt smoothies together.

Husband eats out for lunch once a week; I rarely (maybe once every few months?). We do takeout once every 1-2 weeks.

Our meals are typically a salad/meat/starch or pasta+sauce combo. We don't do desserts as I did not grow up with that and I do all the cooking :lol: I normally make a lot of things from scratch, eg yoghurt, jam, tortillas, ravioli, spanakopita, etc. but with our infant, I do not have as much time to do this so have started buying a few prepared products. In general though we hardly ever buy processed / prepared foods.

We eat organic where it matters (milk, specific fruits + veggies), but our LO is starting solids now, so now I'm buying more and more organic products (meats, grains, etc.). Once the LO is more into solids, we'll start eating together on our kitchen table, instead of in front of our computers.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
We always eat dinner together, unless I'm on call. I leave the house at 7 3 days a week, before my husband gets up, the other 2 days he gets up before me, so all weekday breakfasts are alone.

All weekday lunches I make and bag. My husband eats every Friday lunch with my retired father in law.

We eat all meals together on the weekend. We might watch tv if there's something we love on, but often end up pausing things while we talk instead lol.

We are trying to eat much healthier now, very recently (that went out the window when I was studying for my exam over the last year): we eat a lot of veg, fish, seafood and quorn. Brown rice, brown bread and whole wheat pasta, quinoa, couscous, lentils and pearl barley. Last week I had a lovely dinner for my birthday, but we eat very differently at home. I find it hard not to eat carbs though: I'm munching on a slice of granary bread as I write this!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We eat dinner together every night. I wait for him no matter how hungry I am (but I might snack to hold me over). Breakfast we usually eat together on weekends (oatmeal for him and banana and almonds/walnuts for me usually) in bed watching the news and chatting through most of it.

During the workweek we do not eat breakfast together as I eat at work and he eats at home usually. I am at work very early so don't have an appetite till I get there. For lunch during the workweek I make sandwiches for my dh and a salad with protein usually black beans or chickpeas for me.

Dinner we also eat different things usually. Because for the most part I eat vegan but we both have a healthy salad as a big part of dinner with some protein. We eat healthfully with very little processed foods.

My dh does most of the cooking but I prepare the salads and lunch sandwiches for him.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Depends. If we are all 4 together we sit at the kitchen table for dinner. The kids sit at the bar stools facing me if we are casual (3) and I eat off the kitchen counter facing them...and then there are those days that I let them sit in front of TV to eat about once a week usually weekend. I work varying hours so sitting down together(4, kitchen table) is important to me to get in once or twice a week..but it's certainly not like it was when I grew up.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
During the work week, we usually eat breakfast and lunch on our own unless I'm home during the summer or have a vacation week. We eat dinner together every night, usually on the couches, getting caught up on a show and chatting about our day. Our dining table is all of 3 feet from the couches, but we rarely use it unless we have guests. It's currently my office space. We're on a salad kick right now, so we've been eating a lot of salad with chicken, beef, or pork, and hard boiled eggs added. Other than that, we eat a lot of lean protein, burgers once a week, and brown rice. We get take out or delivery once a week, too, and that's usually pizza or Japanese (sushi for me, some type of noodle dish for my husband).

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Oftentimes we eat in front of the TV or computer. I cook everything from scratch with the exception of including things such as Thai frozen veggie dumplings from Trader Joes. We are both vegetarians and I love all foods in the vegetarian category but I don't use milk and eggs, but do eat cheese and yogurt. Tofu and veggie stir-fries, casseroles (Mexican or Italian), salads, soups, oatmeal, yogurt-fruit smoothies, mashed potatoes are among the favorites at our place. 95% of the food I buy for home cooking is organically produced. I love to cook, and my goal is to make everything very yummy and healthy, and I succeed almost all the time.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our family eats breakfast together (except hubby who gets up late and only drinks coffee in the morning) that I make. On the weekend I make either pancakes or waffles and then freeze extra, so they can be eaten during the week. Any given day it can be oatmeal, cream of wheat, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, waffles, pancakes, and of course stuff like cold cereal, bagels or toast, usually with a fruit (frozen or fresh) and 2-3x a week bacon or patty sausage. Today we had cold cereal and grapefruit halves.
Lunch we all eat separate (school, work etc).
Dinners we eat together, around the table. On the weekends we allow the kids eat lunches in front of the tv or computer, but not dinner. Now that it is nicer eat sometimes on the back porch or in backyard.
But yeah, we have meals together. I don't like people eating in front of tv, my pet peeve.
Hubby prepares all the lunches (for the kids) and almost all of the dinners except when we go out or get take out. It's becoming a "thing" on days youngest has her karate class which is right at dinnertime, for hubby to get take out (usually burritos). We eat out 2-3x a week, usually inexpensive places.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tonight for dinner, I made a Moroccan lamb dish but used beef instead (lamb makes me sick ;( ). It was yummy! Took about an hour from start to finish. Served with a plain rice pilaf.

I've also got a New York cheesecake chilling for dessert. Will be serving that with fresh blueberries :lickout:

Yesterday -- chicken & chickpea stew (actually an Indian sweet & sour dish, but that is the English translation!)
Monday -- baked ziti (dried pasta with Whole Foods pasta sauce and pre-grated cheese :oops: )
Sunday -- all Iranian dishes -- oregano chicken served with zucchini & tomatoes (in lemon juice & parsley) and a traditional rice dish
Saturday -- Gorma zhabzi (spelling! :nono: ) & barberry rice (Persian?)
Friday -- date/almond chicken with a fresh dill & baby lima dish to the side (from Rhodes?)
Thursday -- chicken in lemon sauce with a salad and rice as sides (all traditional Syrian recipes)
Wednesday -- beef & white bean stew (Moroccan?)

I have been writing the dates I cook stuff on the page with each recipe and have been aiming to do a brand new recipe every night. Trying to cook stuff from all around the world using authentic recipes! (thankfully, many of the recipes require marinating so I've been able to prep the meat several days at a time and then just take each bag out as needed so my weekday prep is essentially browning the meat & adding onions & spices)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1401939918|3686813 said:
Tonight for dinner, I made a Moroccan lamb dish but used beef instead (lamb makes me sick ;( ). It was yummy! Took about an hour from start to finish. Served with a plain rice pilaf.

I've also got a New York cheesecake chilling for dessert. Will be serving that with fresh blueberries :lickout:

Yesterday -- chicken & chickpea stew (actually an Indian sweet & sour dish, but that is the English translation!)
Monday -- baked ziti (dried pasta with Whole Foods pasta sauce and pre-grated cheese :oops: )
Sunday -- all Iranian dishes -- oregano chicken served with zucchini & tomatoes (in lemon juice & parsley) and a traditional rice dish
Friday -- date/almond chicken with a fresh dill & baby lima dish to the side (from Rhodes?)
Thursday -- chicken in lemon sauce with a salad and rice as sides (all traditional Syrian recipes)

I have been writing the dates I cook stuff on the page with each recipe and have been aiming to do a brand new recipe every night. Trying to cook stuff from all around the world using authentic recipes! (thankfully, many of the recipes require marinating so I've been able to prep the meat several days at a time and then just take each bag out as needed so my weekday prep is essentially browning the meat & adding onions & spices)

Will you adopt me? :love: :cheeky: :naughty:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1401942216|3686827 said:

Will you adopt me? :love: :cheeky: :naughty:

If I can wear your Octavia :bigsmile:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG TooPatient I so envy the people that get to eat all that delicious food every night! Your house must smell so yumny at dinner time!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are both vegetarian. I do all the ordering of food and most of the cooking. I'm burned out and not experimenting at all so this week stir fry and egg fried rice one night, penne pasta with tomato sauce, stuffed peppers and salad, pies with boiled potatoes and steamed broccoli, black bean and roasted pepper and onion burritos, and tonight probably a potato and veggie layer thing with cheese on top. We usually eat in front of the tv at about 9 o'clock.

Breakfast and lunch we get our own unless it's the weekend. He eats muesli with soy milk and I eat cheerios with cows milk or soft boiled egg on toast and grapefruit. Weekends we sometimes have a full English cooked breakfast. Lunch at weekends is either clear the fridge of left-overs or beans on toast. We both buy or make sandwiches for weekday lunch. He moves around a lot with work so buys and I have a steady office so I bring mine from home.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh TooPatient!
I wanna eat at your house--
I love love love Middle Eastern/Mediterranean food!
I make it all the time, myself. I'm making my own stuffed grape leaves for dinner today---

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1401964710|3686899 said:
Oh TooPatient!
I wanna eat at your house--
I love love love Middle Eastern/Mediterranean food!
I make it all the time, myself. I'm making my own stuffed grape leaves for dinner today---

Yum!

DH has been wanting those for awhile but I've never tried making them. They seem like a lot of work. How long do they usually take to make?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
My SO love asian foods. He taught himself to roll sushi, and make sushi rice. I make a ton of different curries. and some cajun/creole dishes too. A lot of chicken and fish. Thats our main food, sometimes some beef. We try to sous Vide as much as possible, makes cooking from home so much easier, especially for busy schedules!

We make homemade breads, and gelato on special occasions.

We eat pretty clean though, we don't overload our foods with salts, or sugars. And we have a aquaponics setup for some veggies and our spices. All stocks and broths are from scratch, no bullion, and we try to eat organic, when we can/is affordable for us.

I've started a Juice fast (to help me detox/lose weight before my wedding) and now its just juicing, celery and carrots and oranges now. UGH like 2 more months to go!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mmm- all those recipes are making me hungry!

For whoever asking about dolmas, it is very easy if you buy the prepared grapeleaves (I think they come in a can), especially if making the lemon rice version (the only kind my yiayia used to make). If you pick your own grapeleaves it is more involved. I know you need to destem the leaves and do something else to leaves (brine) to prepare them. http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/dolmas.html
It is too bad but I actually didn't learn how to cook anything from my yiayia; she would chase us out of the kitchen when she was cooking. But I remember how her food tastes, and will try and modify recipes based on that memory.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1401991436|3687127 said:
mmm- all those recipes are making me hungry!

For whoever asking about dolmas, it is very easy if you buy the prepared grapeleaves (I think they come in a can), especially if making the lemon rice version (the only kind my yiayia used to make). If you pick your own grapeleaves it is more involved. I know you need to destem the leaves and do something else to leaves (acid bath) to prepare them.
It is too bad but I actually didn't learn how to cook anything from my yiayia; she would chase us out of the kitchen when she was cooking. But I remember how her food tastes, and will try and modify recipes based on that memory.

Thanks!
I'll have to try the prepared leaves.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results