shape
carat
color
clarity

What says "Thanksgiving" to you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Any signature dishes? Things you cant live without that day (besides the Turkey! hehe), or dishes that have become a family tradition?

I am hosting my first thanksgiving this year, and I am trying to make sure I have covered all the "norms". So far I am doing Turkey, Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, broccoli casserole, candied yams, a corn souffle (or "corn pudding"?), stuffing, greenbean casserole, and cranberry sauce. Is that good? Am I forgetting anything?

I would love to see what everyone does every year, and any recipes would be welcomed! (especially the corn and candied yams, since I havent done them before!
3.gif
) Easy, fool-proof, bake ahead recipes would be great, as this is my first time and I dont want to try anything crazy. Do they make a "Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner for Dummies" book?
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about Pumpkin Pie?
9.gif
My hubby loves loves loves pumpkin pie so that is something I can't forget
2.gif
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Sausage rolls!!!!!!!!!

M''s family has a friend that makes the most amazing sausage rolls. I fill up on those before the turkey has a chance to touch the table!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mashed potatoes

Gravy

Pumpkin Pie

Green bean casserole, although no one in the family makes it. This is what I remember from childhood.

Cranberry sauce, homemade.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is from the Whole Foods Website and thought it was super yummy when we ate it last Thanksgiving
3.gif
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=1300
I am not a fan of candied yams so an alternative for something not as sweet?

Baked Pecan Yams
Serves 4 to 6
A wonderfully healthy alternative to the popular marshmallow-covered version of old. With cinnamon-flavored pecans and a subtle tang of citrus, it promises to be a new holiday favorite.

Ingredients
4 medium Jewel or Garnet yams
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup orange or pineapple juice, optional
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt

Method
Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake yams for about one hour, or until tender when pierced with a fork. The skins should peel off easily when they are still warm. Peel yams and mash with butter and juice, if desired. Spread yams evenly in a square baking dish and smooth the top.

In a small bowl, toss pecans with maple syrup, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Spread evenly over the top of the yams. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until pecans are toasted and the yams are hot and bubbly.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Greenbean casserole is my fave, so you''re covered there!

What about dessert??? Are other people contributing?

We always had pre-dinner munchies out as well...cruidite, cheese and crackers, shrimp cocktail, etc...

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Homemade Clam chowder as a starter. If I don''t make that my family has a fit. Plus Potatoes Au Gratin, Sweet Patato Casserole, Homemade Cranberry Sauce, Mac and Cheese, and of course, lots of Pumpkin Pies. If I didn''t include any of those items I would be strung up lol.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 4:52:40 PM
Author: Catmom
Homemade Clam chowder as a starter. If I don't make that my family has a fit. Plus Potatoes Au Gratin, Sweet Patato Casserole, Homemade Cranberry Sauce, Mac and Cheese, and of course, lots of Pumpkin Pies. If I didn't include any of those items I would be strung up lol.
ooooooo, what time should I come over Catmom?
3.gif
9.gif
31.gif
2.gif

My mom always makes homemade butter rolls, super bad (calorie wise) but super yummy!!
18.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
NF -- if they make a "Cooking Thanksgiving Dinner for Dummies" book, I need to get a copy, too. This will be our first time hosting Thanksgiving. We usually go to my in-laws for a low-key turkey dinner or we go to my parents' house. This year, my family's coming to visit us (we recently moved far away from family).

There's something we usually do that has nothing to do with food. We always watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and then for some reason, we've been watching the dog show that follows it. I'm not sure why but it's kind of become a tradition. My husband rolls his eyes at this, as he doesn't understand the appeal of watching a parade on TV, and he's always bored to tears during the dog show.

For food related traditions, I'd have to say it's probably my mom's stuffing. She doesn't do anything fancy (no sausage and sage or cornbread stuffing for her!) but it's soooo good. I think the list you have sounds really yummy. I know that Skippy's recommended pie, but are there any non-pie eaters who will be there? It might be nice to have a few options for dessert. Just a thought.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions so far ladies!

In regards to dessert....my future SIL is bringing these amazing Italian pasties from a bakery near her (my family is italian, so there will be no objection to that!
2.gif
). But no one else has offered to bring a dessert. I feel like you "have" to have pumpkin pie, although there seems to be so many yummy recipes involving pumpkin out there that i'd rather do. I assume 2 pumpkin desserts is overkill? Does it have to be pumpkin "pie"? I was thinking of doing a pumpkin praline cake, and then buying an apple pie just to have "pie", or should I do the reverse and make an pumpkin pie and maybe buy an "extra" dessert? I feel like buying is cheating, but I think I'll be too crazy to make two desserts.

dendon

Shiny_Rock
MMM Stuffed mushrooms and stuffed artichokes. I miss that, my sister makes the best!!

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Macaroni and Cheese! I cannot go through a holiday without some yummy macaroni and cheese.
BF''s mom makes this amazing apple and yam layered dish that I wait all year to have!
I also really love sweet potato pie, but BF''s mom does crustless pumpkin pie which holds me over from not having any sweet potato.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Sweet potatoes! And regular mashed potatoes mixed with cooooorn. Omg, I am so hungry now.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mash and corn. I could eat a whole ten pound bag''s worth on my own!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, funnily enough it''s pumpkin pie, which I do not like at all. But I love the smell and will have a sliver with fresh whipped cream. DH makes the best pumpkin pie.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about pecan pie? At Thanksgiving and Christmas JD always makes the pickles w/beef wrapped around them..I think it''s cream cheese in between? I''ve never had it but it''s his thing. We also have deviled eggs. Biscuits. Otherwise it''s pretty much standard fare-turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole. My mom brings that..mmmmm.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
it's not a "signature dish", but A good Pinot Noir to pair with the turkey is a Thanksgiving staple with my family!

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
My husband''s family is from the southern USA so grits, spinach madeline and lobster are a must at Thanksgiving
9.gif

Ingredients:

• 2 packages chopped spinach, frozen
  • 4 tbsps butter
  • 2 tbsps flour
  • 2 tbsps chopped onions
  • ½ cup evaporated milk
  • ½ cup reserved spinach liquor
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • ¾ tsp celery salt
  • ¾ tsp garlic salt
  • 6 ounces Velveeta Mexican cheese, sliced into ¼-inch cubes
  • salt and red pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Method:
Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain and reserve liquid. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. Add onions and sauté 3-5 minutes or until wilted. Add evaporated milk, spinach liquor and Worcestershire sauce slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook mixture until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Add seasonings and cubed cheese. Stir until melted and combine with cooked spinach. This may be served immediately or put into a casserole and topped with buttered bread crumbs. The flavor is improved if the latter is done and kept in refrigerator overnight

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top...some variation of it has to be on the menu...
I also love this spinach and mushroom thing that my mom used to make with mushroom caps and cheddar cheese on it...it is really yummy!

The smell of pumpkin pie spices also make me think of the holidays coming...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cranberry sauce!

I love the taste, the smell, the texture... Thanksgiving is just an excuse to devour excessive amounts of the stuff and not have to hide it
12.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Twice baked potatoes with sauteed onions in the mash. We have those every Thanksgiving. I can''t recall one when they weren''t present. Labor intensive but totally worth it! They freeze nicely too for consumption down the road.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
turkey and cranberry sauce
36.gif

I didn''t grow up eating cranberry sauce but I lovvvvvee it now! I like it jello-in-the-can style and homemade. I just love cranberries.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Oh my! This thread made me hungry!!

Green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and turkey!! That''s what says Thanksgiving to me!!

Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

We make them about 2 times a year... for obvious reasons
27.gif
27.gif

BUT OMG they are so good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results