shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your favorite lunch?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
What are your favorite things to eat for lunch? Bonus points of it contains a vegetable or fruit. I need to do a better job of bringing my lunch to work instead of running to Wendy's or wherever, plus I get bored of sandwiches and salads unless they are really good/interesting. The less money I spend on eating out, the more I can spend on bling. :cheeky:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pasta salads :lickout:

I have three requirements: it needs to be healthy, it needs to not be painfully difficult to make regularly, and it needs to be *super* quick to put together in the morning.

I make each part individually twice a week - usually Sunday afternoon and Wednesday night. The pasta gets a tiny bit of mayo to stop if from clumping, the greens (spinach/celery/capsicum) get herbs and pepper and sliced almonds, and the avocado gets lemon juice (usually only lasts a day or two though). It's really quick to open three pyrex containers and scoop a couple of spoonfuls of everything into a lunchbox and drizzle vinegar, and it's way better for me than what I'd find at work!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I TRY to bring since it's not easy to get food delivered where my office is, and the restaurant downstairs is mediocre at best. I have a lot of cans of chili and soup, and I like to get Target's brand of black bean soup. I mix up Mango Salsa with Guacamole and eat that with chips, and then the soup/chili. Other days Ill bring a big salad I make a lot for dinner: a bag of Fresh Express pre-bagged lettuce, cut up turkey pepperoni, cut up salami, cut up maple turkey, a little shredded chedder, 2 cut up hard boiled eggs and then a local sweet italian dressing from a local restaurant. It's massive and works pretty well to fill me up! Im kind of sick of lean cuisines though I have fallen hard for the "snack eggrolls" they put out, esp the fajita one. I sometimes have a pack of those with the soup. People bring crap into this office every day int he form of baked goods and candy and I have a very hard time avoiding it.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Soup! I make a big pot on Sunday and divide it up into individual servings for the week. This week is parsnip & apple....yum. :lickout:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
LittleRiver|1325707607|3095084 said:
Soup! I make a big pot on Sunday and divide it up into individual servings for the week. This week is parsnip & apple....yum. :lickout:

Mine is also soup! Right now I want some Won Ton Soup. Had NE Clam chowder last week and lobster bisque.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
I wish I could use the microwave from work, so nasty :knockout:
No one touches the toaster/broiler for some wonderful reason, so I eat open faced or broiled sandwiches 3x per week.
I make two loaves of whole wheat bread over the weekend, it may sound crazy but 2 slices keep me full for 5 hours.
I mostly pack 1-2 slices with 1 C of any berries, 1/4 C natural almonds and one option:

Oven roasted turkey, tomato & lettuce
Tuna salad made with little mayo
Chicken breast salad with a few grapes and little mayo
Egg white salad made with little mayo and a tiny bit of jalapeno
Leftover chicken & cheddar cheese
1 slice of ham with lots of avocado slices on top
Baby spinach leaves, crumbled feta cheese and olives
Mozzarella and tomato slices drizzled with balsamic vinegar dressing
Roasted red peppers [leftovers] and fresh Mozz

Semi-sweet:
Granny smith apple slices and shallot Boursin cheese
Tad of butter, 1-2 slices turkey breast, 1/4 avocado [mashed] & 3 sliced strawberries
Sweet:
Natural Peanut Butter and a few banana slices on top
Mascarpone-lemon curd swirl :lickout:
Mascarpone-lots of strawberries drizzled with honey

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
all this spread through out the day:

Greek yogurt with mixed berries or any fruit, honey, ground flax, crushed walnuts
Cheese chunks
banana with either natural peanut butter or almond butter
apples (crisp & sweet)

Sometimes...

Veggies & spicy Hummus
Hard boiled eggs

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ALMOST anything my husband made the night before (not a fan of hamburger or spaghetti) because he's an awesome cook! Skilled like Gordon Ramsay - without the attitude!

Or... sushi! I could have sushi everyday and never tire of it!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Leftovers from the previous night's dinner (today's lunch was Pot Roast from the Crock Pot), or if there are none of those to be had, DH makes a large pot of soup on a weekly to biweekly basis and he portions it out into 1c Mason Jars that we freeze. So I'll take one of those. Supplemented with veggies and fruits, a granola bar, and some string cheese. Possibly greek yogurt.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
You asked for favorite...

I make breakfast burritos in bulk and freeze them. All include egg beaters as a main ingredient but range in themes... some are jalapeno-cheddar-onions, some are ham-swiss, spinach-feta, turkey-green pepper-onion, etc. I make up big pans of them, freeze, and then individually wrap. Stick them in the microwave at work and viola! I combine one of these with an apple or yogurt and I have, what I consider to be, a delicious lunch!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been making tuna salad a lot lately, but I usually use Dijonaise or Nayonaise (to save calories) instead of mayo. I also add relish.

Other ideas:

prosciutto, tomato slices, and fresh mozzarella on a baguette (sometimes with balsamic vinegar) -- my all-time favorite sandwich
leftovers from dinner the night before
apples & peanut butter and string cheese
black beans, brown rice, salsa, cheese (sometimes), and a tortilla
yogurt (I like 0% Fage with honey and/or berries and cereal mixed in)
Special K cracker chips (fairly new product and so good!), a sandwich, and a banana or other type of fruit

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Salad with rocket, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and olives. Houmous and pita bread.

Or a simple ravioli pasta with sauce - pretty inexpensive from the grocery store and easy to make at work or carry in.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm terrible about packing my lunch too, and I actually started a similar thread a while ago and got great responses! Here's the link: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...g-your-lunch-to-work-what-do-you-make.141206/

One easy lunch I like to make is a salad with tuna fish on top. I leave a bottle of salad dressing in the work fridge and just bring in the salad (usually arugula with grape tomatoes, maybe red peppers, or whatever other veggies I have) and tuna, preferably the type in a pouch that's pre-drained. Then I just dump the tuna on top of the salad and add the dressing.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love Trader Joe's Salads. They are really inexpensive (about $4 each), they're gourmet salads that I'm too lazy to put together. They save me the trouble of packing a healthy lunch for myself everyday, and cost less than eating out. I aready pack lunch for my husband and 2 kids.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Sandwiches. I love sandwiches. I could eat almost anything on a sandwich.
And carbs are my favorite "food group." :naughty:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Chocolate milk.

Bacon, lettuce,, tomato and avocado on whole wheat but don't often have the time...

cheers--Sharon

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite lunch to bring to work is a fresh baked roll that I buy the night before, a wedge of creamy brie, and some sliced hard salami. Probably not super healthy, but it is super YUMMY. I bring some cut green peppers and baby carrots to much on, too. I eat this sandwich for many lunches while we're on vacation, too. It's a good train or hiking meal, it travels well.

I bring last night's leftovers to work quite often.

Sometimes I'll hard boil some eggs, make tuna salad, slice cheddar, and buy crackers, and bring all of that together. With little pickles and banana peppers, too. Sometimes I bring cottage cheese in place of the tuna salad.

I often eat a piece of pita bread that I dip in labna drizzled with oil and za'atar. Mmmmm. I don't know if that's healthy, but it keeps me full until dinner.

My favorite lunch is a Jimmy Johns #12 on wheat bread with a bag of jalapeno peppers, though. Sometimes I go home right after I'm finished teaching and pick that up on the way. Helpful, I know. But it is my fav.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChloeTheGreat|1325731160|3095399 said:
Sandwiches. I love sandwiches. I could eat almost anything on a sandwich.
And carbs are my favorite "food group." :naughty:
Me too. I love sandwiches. My friend's BF just told me that he found The Best sandwich place in the city. We shall see. I can't wait to try it.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I also like making a big pot of soup at some point during the weekend, and bringing leftovers to work. I love veggie soup because you can eat so much of it and it super low in calories. I usually put in some beans, lentils or barley. This veggie chili recipe is great too (though I leave out the cinnamon--I don't like it): http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spicy-Two-Bean-Vegetarian-Chili-107274?mbid=ipapp

I also love something I call "bowl" I heap frozen brown rice (or use precooked) or frozen or leftover mashed potatoes with soup, chili, frozen veggies, cubed tofu, leftover chicken, pasta sauce, teriyaki--basically whatever I have in the fridge gets piled into a big bowl and microwaved. Some of my fav "bowl" combos are canned chili over trader joes frozen mashed potatoes with corn, turkey bolognese over rice with broccoli, and tomato soup with brown rice or cous cous and Parmesan cheese. You can get creative

I love to take a big baggie of raw, cut up veggies to snack on. Good for boredom eating--keeps me from getting chips or whatever crap out of the vending machine.

Some of my other favorites are turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich (the trader joes simply turkey is awesome), trader joes black bean and corn enchiladas, or in a pinch if I don't have time to pack lunch a baked potato with broccoli and a side salad with lowfat dressing from Wendy's, or a taco bell fresco bean burrito.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stews are easy. Make a bunch and then portion it out, plus they freeze well. Same with soups.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
Sushi. Sashimi and a bowl of rice on the side. A real treat.

Usually, though, a slice of thin, floppy pizza and a diet coke is very satisfying.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1325733655|3095442 said:
My favorite lunch to bring to work is a fresh baked roll that I buy the night before, a wedge of creamy brie, and some sliced hard salami. Probably not super healthy, but it is super YUMMY. I bring some cut green peppers and baby carrots to much on, too. I eat this sandwich for many lunches while we're on vacation, too. It's a good train or hiking meal, it travels well.

I bring last night's leftovers to work quite often.

Sometimes I'll hard boil some eggs, make tuna salad, slice cheddar, and buy crackers, and bring all of that together. With little pickles and banana peppers, too. Sometimes I bring cottage cheese in place of the tuna salad.

I often eat a piece of pita bread that I dip in labna drizzled with oil and za'atar. Mmmmm. I don't know if that's healthy, but it keeps me full until dinner.

My favorite lunch is a Jimmy Johns #12 on wheat bread with a bag of jalapeno peppers, though. Sometimes I go home right after I'm finished teaching and pick that up on the way. Helpful, I know. But it is my fav.

Ooooh! You reminded me of cottage cheese! Lowfat cottage cheese with salsa on a warmed corn tortilla--so easy and pretty healthy!

Mmmm... I love me some middle eastern food. Such a yummy balance of creamy-garlicky-tangy!!! My favorite salad is from a little hole-in-the-wall middle eastern spot. Roast chicken, with pita chips, rice, golden raisins with minty-lemony dressing on lettuce. Nomzzz!!!

And Brie and salami sandwiches?!?! I want to eat lunch with you! It all sounds sooo good!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1325725170|3095336 said:
I'm terrible about packing my lunch too, and I actually started a similar thread a while ago and got great responses! Here's the link: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...g-your-lunch-to-work-what-do-you-make.141206/

One easy lunch I like to make is a salad with tuna fish on top. I leave a bottle of salad dressing in the work fridge and just bring in the salad (usually arugula with grape tomatoes, maybe red peppers, or whatever other veggies I have) and tuna, preferably the type in a pouch that's pre-drained. Then I just dump the tuna on top of the salad and add the dressing.

That is usually my lunch choice as well!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1325725170|3095336 said:

That is usually my lunch choice as well!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I love Subway tuna, or turkey, or ham, or roast beef on whole wheat. If I get tuna, I ask for only 1 scoop instead of two and have them spread it out. I have them load it up with veggies, sprinkle some oregano, dribble a smidgen of the low fat red wine dressing. Stay away from the cheese, mayo, and Ranch, and it's a tasty and fairly low-cal lunch.

I used to work in a town that had a Taco Real. Don't know if that's a chain or just TX-based. They had many low-fat options like grilled chicken in corn tortillas with veggies, cilantro, salsa, pico. You could get black beans instead of refried or charro. I wish I had a Taco Real where I am now.

Or if I get a Chik-fil-A, I'll get the side salad instead of fries. It has romaine, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes; and you can get Newman's Own low-fat dressings.

Wendy's has some good options like their chili. Put the burger down and eat something good for you. ;))

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I've been lazy lately but I love this salad:

balsamic reduction drizzle (just simmer balsamic on the stove until it thickens. when it cools it is like a super flavorful syrup)
chopped apple or pear
toasted chopped walnuts or pecans (I prefer pecans)
lettuce
crumbled gorgonzola

I measure out the nuts and cheese since they are the higest calorie part of this. I use about a teaspoon total, if that, of the balsamic reduction because it is really intensely flavorful. You don't need a lot! I normally can fit in about 1/2 an apple into my salad packing container and I'll eat the other half as a snack or after I eat the salad.

I also love fat free greek yogurt (Trader Joes now sells it in 32 oz containers for $5, a great deal considering FAGE and Chobani are about $5 for a 16 oz container) with a little bit of honey (about half a serving) and a half serving of TJ low fat granola. That snack will keep me satisfied for hours because it is really high in protein.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
All of these ideas sound so delicious, I think I will print them out and put them on my fridge for easy reference and for adding ingredients to my shopping list. Part of my problem is that I dislike grocery shopping and actually like having an emptier fridge so it's easier to see things. When we have our own house, I'll have my freezer on the bottom... a girl can dream, right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results