shape
carat
color
clarity

What's up with IDJ?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady said:
Would you trust them to set an outside diamond or colored stone?

Yes. They've set 3 of my colored stones, and I thought they turned out beautifully. The diamond quality is what keeps bringing me back. :appl:

ETA: I was especially worried about the emerald, since they are so delicate, but it came out perfect. I'll start a thread on it soon, I'm still trying to get decent pics of the color. All the CS folks know how awful photographing emeralds can be.

_10519.jpg

frontfingerlr.png

emerald_7.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1380547498|3529534 said:
I have no idea about the DBY thread, but I've been frustrated with their quotes lately. I've been trying to get a small ruby set, and no matter which setting I send them (from Unique Settings of NY catalog, which I know they order from) the quote is $1600. 1/2 carat diamonds? $1600. 1/4 carat diamonds? $1600. Last year, I got my sapphire set with a full carat of diamonds for $1600! Last year they said an upgrade to 18K gold was $75. This year, it's $200, even though it's FAR less grams of gold! So, I don't know if they're costs have risen, or they just don't want to deal with me, but I'm getting quotes all over. PLUS, I was quoted $900 for a setting, then 2 weeks, and multiple emails, into the process and it's suddenly $1900, because of a "typo". What the heck?

But I will say I got my best prices from Tami at the counter (I actually went there), as opposed to LuAnn who does the internet orders. I'm not sure LuAnn wants to give me a good deal. :nono:

I'm going to guess that since Tami is Yekutiel's wife, and LuAnn is an employee, Tami might have more leeway with pricing than LuAnn would off the bat...

I'm happy with my IDJ purchases, but personally, I prefer to deal with them in person, as opposed to over the phone/by e-mail. When I worked in the city, and COULD deal with them directly, I found the transactions effortless. For some reason, when I order over the phone/by e-mail, I get a bit agitated. Just me. My preference for e-mail/phone purchases is ERD with Chris and BGD with Denise.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1380689331|3530584 said:
IndyLady|1380677792|3530488 said:
Would you trust them to set an outside diamond or colored stone?

Personally? Yes, I would. They did a *really* good job on my bezel earrings - the milgrain is delicate, fine, and even, and they followed all of my instructions perfectly (thin as possible, matte, finest milgrain possible). I've spent much more on other projects and received less satisfactory results. I would just be very, very careful/explicit to ask that they send it to their best craftsman.

Thank you Circe and ILander! Definitely good to know.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
i-lander, did you buy your settings from IDJ? Forgot to add that IDJ did set two small colored stones of mine (my setting - they were doing other work for me and I asked if they would set the stones). No problem.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
JLW05 said:
i-lander, did you buy your settings from IDJ? Forgot to add that IDJ did set two small colored stones of mine (my setting - they were doing other work for me and I asked if they would set the stones). No problem.

Yes.

I walked in with the large pink tourmaline, which is a huge stone and a difficult fit. They sent someone out among the 47th street vendors and she came back with it (how would I have found that?) , and it was perfect. I didn't want to spend the money on custom, and I really didn't think they'd find one to fit. A week later I came back and it was set and ready to go.

With the sapphire, I told them what I wanted, they pulled out a catalog, and I pointed at it. I told them I wanted the "PS quality" diamonds and they picked them out specifically for the ring. I came back a couple of weeks later and it was done. It's a stunner, with almost hearts and arrows stones, that Yuketiel told me his dad picked out himself. I asked for claw prongs on the sapphire and they are perfect.

The emerald was the same, I picked it from a catalog (they have several settings catalogs) and it was done in 2 weeks. They have a ton (about 6 full trays of different halos, baguette type, etc) of ring settings at the store to pick from, but I didn't trust an emerald in a ring.

Luann and I are still working long distance on my ruby, and since I explained my budget issues with her, she's come up with a ton of settings on a website from one of her suppliers. Some of them are in my price range :appl: and I'm deciding which one I prefer. They also have settings on their website, and more on their ebay store. So, yes, a setting can be found long distance.

I also bought my DD's milestone birthday gift from them. They assembled a tray of items within my price range and she got to pick out her favorite item (a delicate white gold band, with diamonds set in fine milligrain bezels, very beautiful). I'm glad I went that route, I would have gotten her the haloed diamond pendant, but she chose the ring. Go figure. :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm planning to get studs and have been checking out prices...it looks like for what I'm wanting, IDJ would be a few hundred dollars less, but I'd hesitate to buy from them when I've had EXCELLENT results with other vendors. If I did order and the stones were not what I was expecting, then the cost of shipping back/insurance/TIME, and emotional stress would really irritate me...Plus, it would REALLY irritate my husband because he wants me to be happy the first time around and will be more supportive of my hobby with me being 100% satisfied with what arrives in the mail.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
MC, I also found my studs at IDJ, and was pretty happy with the experience. Perhaps you could request photos of a pair, or a few pairs, of pre-set studs close up (assuming you're looking for pre-set studs) and go from there? With studs, I imagine diamond clarity, etc. might be a little easier to evaluate. I totally understand not wanting to deal with the stress and $$ of a bad time completing a jewelry project--it makes me very wary too.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought studs from IDJ. Happy with my experience. I did buy them in person and picked the stones myself. No issues, super seamless service. They had the pairs I wanted to see in person when I got there, spent the time to show me the stones and settings, very friendly.

I do agree overseas transaction can get hairy and looking at things in person makes it just so much easier to make sure everyone is happy.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1380821115|3531542 said:
I'm planning to get studs and have been checking out prices...it looks like for what I'm wanting, IDJ would be a few hundred dollars less, but I'd hesitate to buy from them when I've had EXCELLENT results with other vendors. If I did order and the stones were not what I was expecting, then the cost of shipping back/insurance/TIME, and emotional stress would really irritate me...Plus, it would REALLY irritate my husband because he wants me to be happy the first time around and will be more supportive of my hobby with me being 100% satisfied with what arrives in the mail.

I have PS quality studs arriving tomorrow! I'll post pics and tell you how it went if you want MC. For me...I was able to get DOUBLE the tcw of my other 2 vendors of choice at the same price and they threw in overnight shipping, heavy friction backs, etc. I'm nervous but really hopeful they are going to be great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results