shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s the best life decision you''ve made so far?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Please don''t include your husband, boyfriend etc.

I''ll go first,

I went back to university to complete my BA, went to Teachers'' College and that way was able to gain the confidence to pursue my long-time dream of teaching languages at the secondary level for 19 years. At the same time I was looking after my two small children ( with lots of help from my DH, my mom and MIL). It was a struggle but well worth it!!!!

What about you???

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''m going to bump this thread by adding another,

We had a very small wedding so that we could put a downpayment on our first home.

Do I regret not having a fabulous wedding? Yes, sometimes when I see the pictures of all the happy couples on their very special day....but then I also read about in-law and BM probs that couples are having and I''m happy we did it "our way".

E B

Ideal_Rock
The best life decision so far would be getting a college degree (well, I'm almost there- 3 more quarters!
9.gif
).

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Moving to New York City at seventeen years old.

I can''t imagine how different my life would be if I''d stayed in the South & not pursured my passion.

Runners up (also sans Sweetie as requested):

2. Buying my house, by myself, before Sweetie
3. Getting a dog
9.gif

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
going to medical school. it was very hard and even more expensive, but soooo worth it. i love my job and consider myself very lucky to be able to do what i do.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1. To have my kids

#2. To go to grad school, even though finances were tight back in the day, and I had my kids while I was in school, which made it really tough to finish. I thought about quitting many times but saw it through to graduate with honors. I felt the accomplishment of finishing what I started, even though it was not always easy. Evven though I do not practice, that is something that can never be taken away from me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting my horse. So many wonderful opportunities and much learning about so many things have come from having him in my life.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
One of the best decisions I have made so far is to not be concerned anymore about others think(cuz I used to allow what others thought or said). I am so much freer and calmer to do things that I inately know are honest, correct and just plain me. If someone is not pleased, I do not allow their displeasure to change the way I believe, act or feel.

For me, this has made a tremendous difference in my life and I am happier because of my decision to stay true to me.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
going back to study veterinary-its all Ive ever wanted to do in life and Ive finally gotten my place in there.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to uni straight after finishing high school. Too many people I know deferred (or planned to defer) for a year after high school, and worked and partied the whole time, enjoying their freedom too much to then go back to school. In turn alot of them are in part time jobs with few or no qualifications, little scope for personal development, and finding it difficult to now get into tertiary studies as ''mature age'' students. Definitely not the case with everyone, but enough for me to look back and be grateful for what i have! The other one is buying a house on my own without FH''s help, it taught me alot about finances and responsibility and in turn we had enough joint equity to build our dream home with little savings. Plus, I ADORE my job (operating theatre scrub/anaesthetic/recovery nurse) and couldn''t imagine doing anything else!!
9.gif

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely having my children!

On the flip side, I can say that one regret I have is *not* finishing school as I was almost there (and continued to take courses part-time while I was haviing my babies). I have about one year left is all, and I sacrificed a LOT in order to accomplish the schooling I have. Maybe one day I''ll finish it up... (it''s a writing degree which actually would have no impact whatsoever on my job as a coach).

jen

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Choosing to study engineering at university, even though I knew I wanted to go into medicine. I loved my undergrad, and knew that if I didn''t get into med school first try or changed my mind about it, I''d be able to go out and get a job more easily. Ended up not getting in off the waitlists, and found a great job overseas that I worked at for 5 years (met DH while there) before finally deciding to get on with it and reapply to med school.
I may be 31 now with just under 3 more years of residency to go, but my DH has now married me and moved across the Atlantic to be with me, we''re financially secure, and I don''t regret an instant of my time over there. I sure had a blast travelling Europe in my early 20s...

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Right now I feel like I''ve made a whole passel of decisions with no knowing how they will turn out for a nice long while...

Given my rather short life so far, I''d have to say...

1)Leaving the south to go to school "up North," even though it cost a pretty penny more.
2) Sucking it up and applying to both graduate school programs and fellowships last year--now I have a fellowship and a derferred admit and don''t have to apply from overseas.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2006 8:24:45 AM
Author: DandiAndi
Going to uni straight after finishing high school. Too many people I know deferred (or planned to defer) for a year after high school, and worked and partied the whole time, enjoying their freedom too much to then go back to school. In turn alot of them are in part time jobs with few or no qualifications, little scope for personal development, and finding it difficult to now get into tertiary studies as ''mature age'' students. Definitely not the case with everyone, but enough for me to look back and be grateful for what i have! The other one is buying a house on my own without FH''s help, it taught me alot about finances and responsibility and in turn we had enough joint equity to build our dream home with little savings. Plus, I ADORE my job (operating theatre scrub/anaesthetic/recovery nurse) and couldn''t imagine doing anything else!!
9.gif
That''s great to hear. Many parents worry about that "gap year" after high school. Although I didn''t take it ( maybe I should have, thinking back) but both our kids did and part of their deal with us was that a) They had to have a job, and b) no major purchases could be made such as a car etc.

Well, it worked out beautifully for them because they both had horrible jobs and were dying to go back to school and work toward something better. Our daughter is now a certified accountant ( after taking marketing in college?) and works as a CFO in the company she''s with and our son is a partner in a large construction firm. Both of them earn a handsome salary ( far more than their teacher mother), and seem to enjoy the challenges of their careers.

While I realize that the "gap year" is not good for everyone, in their cases it was the best thing that happened career-wise.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2006 11:33:27 AM
Author: sk8rjen
Definitely having my children!

On the flip side, I can say that one regret I have is *not* finishing school as I was almost there (and continued to take courses part-time while I was haviing my babies). I have about one year left is all, and I sacrificed a LOT in order to accomplish the schooling I have. Maybe one day I''ll finish it up... (it''s a writing degree which actually would have no impact whatsoever on my job as a coach).

jen
If it''s possible at all, Jen, finish what you started- the writing degree. You are sooooo close to the end of your studies and who knows what curves life will throw you. That way, you''ll have alternatives to fall back on if need be.

I know I sound like your mother, probably, but nowadays careers can change every 10 years or less. I advocate to anyone who''ll listen to keep your options open..... Ok, no more sermons, I promise.
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my best life decision so far was to temporarily end my retail mgmt. career and switch to a Monday through Friday, 8-5 job in an entirely different field. I have a 4 yr. degree in Fashion Merchandising, had a great job with a big-box retailer in the Chicagoland area, but was working 60 hours a week, every holiday, almost every weekend, etc. AFter I got married, my dad became ill with colon cancer, and I was completely stressed out trying to make time for my marriage, visit my dad in the various hospitals he was in around the Midwest, and I had virtually no social life. Since I switched jobs over a year and a half ago, and took a huge pay cut, I have been able to cultivate more friendships here, visit my parents when I feel like it or when they need me, (they live 5 hours away), and actually spend time with my husband, who travels frequently. I can''t afford to keep up with fashion like I used to, but I''ve been able to do some wonderful things like the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and I have found that these things are much more fulfilling to me than having the latest handbag or whatever. I can always go back to my old career, but for now I am happy just living my life simply and having more contact with the ones I love.
1.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
1) Going to graduate school.

2) Moving to FL.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2006 2:45:28 PM
Author: monarch64
I think my best life decision so far was to temporarily end my retail mgmt. career and switch to a Monday through Friday, 8-5 job in an entirely different field. I have a 4 yr. degree in Fashion Merchandising, had a great job with a big-box retailer in the Chicagoland area, but was working 60 hours a week, every holiday, almost every weekend, etc. AFter I got married, my dad became ill with colon cancer, and I was completely stressed out trying to make time for my marriage, visit my dad in the various hospitals he was in around the Midwest, and I had virtually no social life. Since I switched jobs over a year and a half ago, and took a huge pay cut, I have been able to cultivate more friendships here, visit my parents when I feel like it or when they need me, (they live 5 hours away), and actually spend time with my husband, who travels frequently. I can''t afford to keep up with fashion like I used to, but I''ve been able to do some wonderful things like the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and I have found that these things are much more fulfilling to me than having the latest handbag or whatever. I can always go back to my old career, but for now I am happy just living my life simply and having more contact with the ones I love.
1.gif

Monarch, first, I hope your father is okay
1.gif

How inspiring and wonderful that it has opened up some great new doors for you! You have emerged the winner from that choice for sure!
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quitting my cushy corporate job when I turned 30 to take a backpack and go where my nose led me in Europe for a few months. Reminded me that life is worth LIVING.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Returning to finish college after a year and half break. Living in the real world gave me some perspective.

Breaking up with all three long term boyfriends that I had before meeting my DH.

Having my kids.

...not necessarily in that order....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh, come on! How can I NOT put my husband? Please!!! Can I??? LOL... I have to. I just have to. I''m not sure I''ve really made too many decisions that have been the right decision...but I hit lotto with my husband and I''d be totally lost without him.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Going against conventional wisdom & accepting another blind date after the first initial fiasco arranged by friends. It changed my life forever.
2.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
-buying our townhouse...just wish we had done it sooner.

-getting portia.

-doing a destination wedding & not dealing with all the local wedding drama that drives you insane.

-leaving my corporate marketing gig for something a bit more creative and challenging and 'outside of the box'.

-(and even though i am supposed to omit him, greg of course...all the 'best decisions' up above happened after him!)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
1) Having my first child at 19. Best decision ever even though I would be a total single mom with my parents help.
2) Continuing my undergraduate degree, even though it's taking me longer than I thought.
3) Taking a chance and making the first move...which lead to something great!
9.gif

4) Buying our single family home. Perfect time, perfect price, perfect location!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I''d say deciding to live in India as a junior in college. Living with an Indian family in India taught me more about America and our culture than I even could have known. It also gave me space to think about the fact that I was still dating the man I started dating at 16, and decide if that was the right path for me. (We''re now married
2.gif
)

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
I guess my answer for right now would have to be...listening to my strmrdr and going to the doctor, because now I am still here to marry him :} If I hadn''t, I might not have been around to marry him...and I don''t even want to think of that...as everyone knows, he is my life and my love.

Wifey2b :}

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
To NOT go (3 hour drive) to my DH's aunt and uncle's for a Thanksgiving weekend in 1993. Our son was born nine months later!
31.gif
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results