shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s the best life decision you''ve made so far?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2006 5:43:41 PM
Author: hlmr
To NOT go (3 hour drive) to my DH''s aunt and uncle''s for a Thanksgiving weekend in 1993. Our son was born nine months later!
31.gif
2.gif
ROFL!! A real good decision..giggle...did you make more good decisions? giggle...too funny hlmr :}

Wifey2b :}

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2006 5:46:37 PM
Author: wifey2b

Date: 8/14/2006 5:43:41 PM
Author: hlmr
To NOT go (3 hour drive) to my DH's aunt and uncle's for a Thanksgiving weekend in 1993. Our son was born nine months later!
31.gif
2.gif
ROFL!! A real good decision..giggle...did you make more good decisions? giggle...too funny hlmr :}

It really was a monumental decision because he is our only child.....(well except for his fur brother poodle, Brownie
9.gif
)

ETA: Another best life decision was to go university when I was 25 and earn my degree! I was ready at that age, and worked harder than I ever would have when I graduated from high school at 17.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2006 12:20:11 AM
Author: diamondfan

Date: 8/13/2006 2:45:28 PM
Author: monarch64
I think my best life decision so far was to temporarily end my retail mgmt. career and switch to a Monday through Friday, 8-5 job in an entirely different field. I have a 4 yr. degree in Fashion Merchandising, had a great job with a big-box retailer in the Chicagoland area, but was working 60 hours a week, every holiday, almost every weekend, etc. AFter I got married, my dad became ill with colon cancer, and I was completely stressed out trying to make time for my marriage, visit my dad in the various hospitals he was in around the Midwest, and I had virtually no social life. Since I switched jobs over a year and a half ago, and took a huge pay cut, I have been able to cultivate more friendships here, visit my parents when I feel like it or when they need me, (they live 5 hours away), and actually spend time with my husband, who travels frequently. I can''t afford to keep up with fashion like I used to, but I''ve been able to do some wonderful things like the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and I have found that these things are much more fulfilling to me than having the latest handbag or whatever. I can always go back to my old career, but for now I am happy just living my life simply and having more contact with the ones I love.
1.gif

Monarch, first, I hope your father is okay
1.gif

How inspiring and wonderful that it has opened up some great new doors for you! You have emerged the winner from that choice for sure!
36.gif
Aw, thank you Diamondfan! Your comments are so sweet. My father is doing as well as can be expected, and the latest tests show that he is still cancer-free (we''re keeping fingers and toes crossed, of course), and we hope to have him with us for many years to come. He''ll be 66 this September, and when he first started having symptoms he was 61, so he has made a tremendous recovery so far. It is sad that sometimes it takes a ton of bricks hitting you to get a reality check, but that''s life, right?! I can''t say I''m a perfect person at all, but I can say that my outlook on life is much different than before, and although change is scary, it can be a great thing.
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2006 12:13:59 AM
Author: flower12
divorced with my first husband
9.gif
9.gif
ditto!

movie zombie

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Not sweating the small stuff, finding humor, and last but not least, enjoying my children growing up.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh! OK! I''ve got one. Buying our coop in a particular area where most people would never have purchased there. In 2 years, the place has literally doubled in value.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
1. Most definitely leaving my high powered and high paying job as an associate at a law firm and working for an appellate court judge.

2. Buying a house with FI

3. Getting our two wonderful doggos - Izzie and Cricket

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have to say being a nurse. I knew at age 15 thats what I wanted to do & stuck with it planning courses throughout highschool that would benefit my career choice. Really, in honesty before that, what I wanted to be was a flight attendant. LOL But I was too short, too chunky, & couldnt speak French fluently. I suppose its a good idea to be able to reach the overhead compartments. LOL

Moving back to Toronto in ''99 when my mom needed emergency surgery (she''s alive & doing very well today). But I came home amidst pressure of being the daughter & the nurse. But it put in perspective of her mortality. That saying "Life is short" really is that way. I have seen it for 15yrs, life can be very short indeed. About 1.5yrs later, I met my husband. So moving back to Canada was a very good move. :)

Judy
:)

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Not giving up after I got rejected from med school the first time. I spent a devestating year watching my siblings live out my biggest dream, but it happend for me the following year. Which I''m still thankful everyday of my life (ok. except maybe not the day after my last midterm exam before the summer break
14.gif
. Talk about stress
32.gif
)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2006 5:36:30 PM
Author: wifey2b
I guess my answer for right now would have to be...listening to my strmrdr and going to the doctor, because now I am still here to marry him :} If I hadn''t, I might not have been around to marry him...and I don''t even want to think of that...as everyone knows, he is my life and my love.

and mine is buggin ya till ya went to the doc and kept buggin ya to keep bugging him.
The alternative is too scary to think bout......

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
My best life decision was to go back to college at 31 and complete my bachelor''s degree. I got accepted to a prestigious private college and enjoyed the challenges and rewards. It was empowering to enact the change, pay for it myself, and walk at graduation.

And I know you said no husbands...but when I got my acceptance letter in the mail, he drove all the way to campus (an hour away in wine country) and bought me a sweatshirt with the college logo, logo pencils, binders, coffee mugs & had it all wrapped & waiting for me when I got home. Then he cleaned/painted/decorated our office, bought me a new chair and made it a very wonderful study space. Most of all, he never complained over the next two years when I was studying late or writing papers all weekend long.

So my other best life decision was marrying him, for those reasons and so many more (including the son we have together) because all my successes are twice as wonderful shared with him.

The very very best decision over all else, was to have my son. I originally did not want children (afraid, bad relationship with my own mother, afraid) and my husband talked me into it. Up until I left for the hospital, I was *certain* I didn''t have what it took to be Mom. Boy, was I wrong, wrong, wrong. I have what it takes, and its AWESOME! So awesome, I quit my career to stay home, because he''ll only be little once, and I finally found my calling.

*and*

We are now trying for baby #2. I''m already planning my "push presents". Diamond & sapphire "maternity" rings. Blue or pink sapphire...of course.
9.gif

Jeannine

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Having my 3 girls...it''s the best feeling I''ve ever known, can''t even put it into words. And quitting my full time job cutting our yearly income more than in half (I was making more money than hubby at the time) to be with them (I know it''s not the decision for everyone, but for me, the best one of my life). I thank God I didn''t miss out on it!
1.gif

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
I had gone to community college right after school and hated it.. i did not take education seriously. I wanted to run off to Colorado and be a ski bum.. my mother pushed me and pushed me so i would take a few classes here and there, until about 2 years ago when i buckled down and realized that once i had a edcuation no one could take it away from me. So in that 2 years i have graduated with 2 associate degrees and in a month will be starting to complete my bachelors degree. i am really proud of myself by taking my own time in doing things..

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
~ Attending the college I wanted to go to (7 hours drive away), not the college my then-boyfriend-now-husband went to. The distance from him and my family was difficult but it taught me a lot about relationships and communication.

~ Finally realizing that a rich joyful life really isn''t found by fulfilling all of my guilty immediate pleasures (chocolate instead of fruits and veggies, slacking off instead of working) like our instant gratification culture wants us to believe and deciding to live for meaning instead.

~ Accepting Jesus into my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results