shape
carat
color
clarity

What's next?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We called the halo, we called the cushion, we called the three stone, we called the rosé gold ( although it's not really taken off). What PS trend will be the next trend we see IRL? The French cut?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think alot more antique and art deco pieces coming out. A lot of starlet's are getting engaged with these type of antique or antique reproductions ering so I see it getting much bigger.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Snicklefritz|1389115958|3588266 said:
The return of the MARQUISE! :Up_to_something: :lol:

My husband's best friend got engaged about 6 months ago...I know he had been planning on a princess cut. He sent us a pic of the ring- it's a marquis. Yellow gold. With some sort of wrap around it. Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own style...but this really looks like a ring right out of the 80s. But this will be her FOURTH marriage. DH thought that maybe she had just run out of ring styles :lol: :lol:

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Marquises, colored stones and lower colors in diamonds are my quesses.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colored stone baguette halos (emerald, blue sapphire, ruby...)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a lot of our PS trends will never go wide scale. French cuts are expensive and not many shopping at mall stores would be willing to pay for them.

I think antique style rings have been popular for years (Tacori, for example), and that trend remains strong. Pave rings are popular in the mainstream. I really don't see any new trends here, really, that would be broadly adopted. The big trend here on PS is for antique stones, but those just aren't readily available to most people.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we'll probably be seeing more stones cut "in the style" of the antiques, and more repro settings (I just have this sad premonition that they'll be poor quality and "inspired by," so a poorly researched mishmash of different periods depending on what's available on the market at that moment).

(Uh ... Moment of pessimism over!)

I think the marquise is poised for a comeback. Which is AWESOME. See also, Niel, Forte, and Snicklefritz (oh, my!).

Palladium and whatever the hell Tiffany called their new metal (rubedo, right?) and all sorts of other edgy new metals, cause methinks the metal prices, they are arising again.

I think eternity-as-engagement rings will get more popular.

I think new rose cuts in modern settings will take off, because we are a society of size queens. Which is cool, just please foil the backs! Otherwise they are just big magnifying glasses for the back of your finger!

And, though it's not so popular on here, I believe we are in the period of the quad ascendent. And, for reasons I have yet to understand, the morganite. Don't get me wrong, they're lovely stones. But not particularly durable ones. So why not spinel, or tourmaline, or garnet, or ...? Next it'll be kunzite, and everybody will be shocked when the color fades!

On the other hand, here's what I'd LIKE to see:

More equality of sorts - I love it when ladies buy their partners engagement presents.

A return to really high standards of craftsmanship.

(Ha! Okay, now moment of *optimism* over ....)

Calibre cut colored stones. Given modern technology, this should be EASIER for us!

Non-diamond centers. I love my diamonds, but I also love rubies, and sapphires, and alexandrite a, and spinels, and tourmalines, and amethysts, and, and, and!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Circe. I think the next big thing will be the return of multi-stone rings, and colored stone engagement rings. It seems like the rise in the cost of everything has brought about much more modest engagement rings. I think the economy has made the average american (at least) more reluctant to spend many thousands on the engagement ring.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good article! Glad to see yg back. Cushion is just catching up to PS as is rose gold. I only know two people with non diamond engagement rings, in my area I don't see diamonds losing out to colored gemstones any time soon.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking more colored stone (non-diamond) engagement rings.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
New-old vintage styles. A good example is my new pear-shaped opal drop earrings with round opal halos which look old-world but are in fact new. Haven't got round to posting them yet.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1389130384|3588412 said:
I think we'll probably be seeing more stones cut "in the style" of the antiques, and more repro settings (I just have this sad premonition that they'll be poor quality and "inspired by," so a poorly researched mishmash of different periods depending on what's available on the market at that moment).

(Uh ... Moment of pessimism over!)

I think the marquise is poised for a comeback. Which is AWESOME. See also, Niel, Forte, and Snicklefritz (oh, my!).

Palladium and whatever the hell Tiffany called their new metal (rubedo, right?) and all sorts of other edgy new metals, cause methinks the metal prices, they are arising again.

I think eternity-as-engagement rings will get more popular.

I think new rose cuts in modern settings will take off, because we are a society of size queens. Which is cool, just please foil the backs! Otherwise they are just big magnifying glasses for the back of your finger!

And, though it's not so popular on here, I believe we are in the period of the quad ascendent. And, for reasons I have yet to understand, the morganite. Don't get me wrong, they're lovely stones. But not particularly durable ones. So why not spinel, or tourmaline, or garnet, or ...? Next it'll be kunzite, and everybody will be shocked when the color fades!

On the other hand, here's what I'd LIKE to see:

More equality of sorts - I love it when ladies buy their partners engagement presents.

A return to really high standards of craftsmanship.

(Ha! Okay, now moment of *optimism* over ....)

Calibre cut colored stones. Given modern technology, this should be EASIER for us!

Non-diamond centers. I love my diamonds, but I also love rubies, and sapphires, and alexandrite a, and spinels, and tourmalines, and amethysts, and, and, and!

Agree re. equality. I'd particularly like to see a shift towards men giving up their careers to care for children, being harangued ceaselessly since engagement about when they're going to get pregnant, and carrying babies for nine months before giving birth. The technology exists, as does a convenient space inside a man's abdomen. :lol: When my husband does all that, two or three times over, I'll save up and get him a fantastic C-section present!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1389130384|3588412 said:

I prefer times of receiving when you don't give anything in return. There is a graciousness in giving when nothing is expected in return and also a graciousness in learning to receive without feeling the need to give in return. We've done this with our children too preferring a rough equality approach. They know when one of them gets something it doesn't mean they each will. Another time it will be their turn to have money spent on them. So I'll gift a bike for my husband, help him buy a car or give him a little gold tie pin sporting a fox face with red ruby eyes for a wedding present but I'm darned if he would have got anything in return for buying me an engagement ring!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1389116470|3588270 said:
Snicklefritz|1389115958|3588266 said:
The return of the MARQUISE! :Up_to_something: :lol:

My husband's best friend got engaged about 6 months ago...I know he had been planning on a princess cut. He sent us a pic of the ring- it's a marquis. Yellow gold. With some sort of wrap around it. Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own style...but this really looks like a ring right out of the 80s. But this will be her FOURTH marriage. DH thought that maybe she had just run out of ring styles :lol: :lol:

Outside of PS, perhaps it has never left.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results