shape
carat
color
clarity

What is wrong with me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,
I think there is something wrong with me. I got my new diamond, my new setting and yet I am still looking for different settings.
Why am I so obsessed with engagement rings? It''s driving me insane.
Am I the only one who does this? Please tell me I am not.
2.gif
8.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kayla17,

You're not the only one with a one track mind revolving around diamonds and eng rings! lol My husband actually called me Sauron the other day, obsessed with "the one ring."

I'm constantly going into jewelry stores and looking at stones and upgrades and other shapes of stones I'm planning to purchase later on, like pear shapes for pendants, bigger RBs for earrings, princess cuts for who knows what! Even my three year old knows the four c's
9.gif

Enjoy your ring, though. . .it truly is a masterpiece. From the side view picture of your setting, it signifies strength and confidence to me. Looks great and I don't think you could do any better!

Michelle

Amber

Rough_Rock
Hi!! I am new to all of this !! However, I got my upgrade diamond just last month and now I am OBSESSED. I guess I just want to make sure I got a good stone. My last upgrade (10 years ago) I was totally uneducated and just walked into a mall jewelry store and bought the first 1.5 stone they showed me. No cert. When I tried to trade it for a larger stone recently, I realized I really got ripped off. I was in ignorant bliss for 10 years. But I read all the posts every day and wish I had found this website sooner! Just wanted to say I understand your need to keep checking it all out! Amber

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
naughty.gif
9.gif
9.gif
You are not the only one! I am working on my 5th setting upgrade...I still can't believe it. I am all set with my center stone, I am very happy with the shape, cut, color, clarity and size. It was an upgrade, though.

The old 1.5ct diamond was originally set in a very plain yellow gold setting, because we didn't want to spend a lot. Then, after two years, I saw a very nice platinum setting that had small pears on each side, along with melee in an 'x' pattern. It was not very expensive, and started to bug me because it felt cheap. So, I had the ring design copied by a platinumsmith, who made it more substantial. I loved it! Five years later, we upgraded my center stone to 1.90ct, and had it set into the same setting. It suddenly looked too bulky somehow. So, I shopped until I found a platinum setting with two .30ct rounds on each side. Big mistake on this one. Although I loved the look from the top, the side view didn't show off the diamonds at all. Plus, the shank was too thin, and together with the top-heavy design, was spinning out of control on my finger.
angryfire.gif
Clearly, this had to go! I am now having a platinumsmith copy a lovely Verragio design, and modify it to my specifications. Yay! I can't wait to get it back. We had originally intended to send the side stones to Verragio, and were in the process of getting them mailed, so they could create the size 4 1/2 ring for me. After speaking more with the platinumsmith, we yanked them back. Apparently, the settings that have some baguettes are very delicate and prone to chipping and loss. Cool design, just not very sturdy for everyday wear. We decided to modify the setting to make the baguettes much more secure, and had the bottom half of the shank widened for less chance of spin. Totally comfort fit as well.

So, Kayla, probably WAY more insane than you are. And don't get me started on the third revision of my 5 stone wedding band (5 to 7 to 4 stones)!

Which setting do you have your eye on now?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Hi Amber, welcome!

Caratgirl, I can sympathize with your quest for the perfect setting. Check out my "25 years of my rings" thread to see what I've gone through. I remember at one time telling my husband that I was so thrilled with my new ring that I'd never want another upgrade...WRONG.

Now I don't dare make such drastic proclamations.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kayla, I understand. We are in deep aren't we?

My big problem is making a decision at all. I upgraded my diamond last year for the second time (I've been married for 17+ years), and I had the stone set in a temporary setting because it was too overwhelming for me to decide on a setting at that time. Well, here we are, going on a year later, and I've made little progress. What's wrong with me? I like too many things. Not only that, I'm afraid of making a decision and then seeing something I like better in another year (okay, that sounds like you
eek.gif
).

I was definitely more committal before I found PS and started looking at all these beautiful settings on the web (yours being one of them). My head is spinning. PS what are you doing to us?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Diamondlil

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be that you just like to buy rings Kayla? Any rings? For example, would a second one built around something else than a dimaond help? The research involved would be just about as thrilling
2.gif

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Kayla...you are not alone. Unfortunately we are suffering from the one husband, one engagement ring and one ring finger syndrome. We are trying to make the most important ring we wear, "THE RING." Does that make any sense?

I have been married for 6 years and have had 3 upgrades, 2 of which took place in one year. My 3 carat solitaire has all a sudden started to look very lonely even though I just received (another) 3 carat eternity band for Christmas. I am thinking about moving it over to my right hand and adding two one carat rounds to it, to make it a 3 stone. My finger isn't that big..it's a size 4! That would allow me to wear my eternity bands stacked on my left ring finger. How crazy would that look???

I don't think I am ever going to be satisfied. Ever since my husband's friend put a 5 carat boulder on his girlfriends finger my ring is looking...gulp...small.
errrr.gif

I love this thread....I don't feel so alone.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
well, i'm not even married and I'm just as obsessed! over the past few years, I've bought myself a few pieces already (most of them overpriced) ... But now that I've found Pricescope, I'm even more crazy about these little *twinkles*........ And since I've been working for the past few years and have some $$$ saved up and making a little more each day, I just wanna buy buy and buy. Terrible! grrrrrrrrooooooooowwl!

What is my boyfriend... future husband to do!
eek.gif

toleong

Rough_Rock
Kayla17 - You are not alone. I am glad their are others out there. My coworkers always tease me about my diamond "obsession". In fact one has gone so far as to suggest that I quit my job and go work in a jewelry store! I told him this is my hobby....

Anyways I just got a pair of 1.2ctw earrings today and I am already thinking of getting them upgraded..
9.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew!!!
Boy am I relieved to know that I am not the only one!!!
appl.gif

I seriously am considering either adding pave to my ring and having a custom made wedding band to match, or just getting the Vatche Royal Crown again.
Can you believe the other day I was daydreaming about winning the Lotto and thinking that if I did, I would put my current 2 ct. diamond in a pendant, get a new 3.5- 4.0 carat H&A, getting 2 ctw. diamond stud earrings and a 4-5 carat diamond tennis bracelet.
2.gif

I didn't even think about paying off my mortgage or car, later for that!!!
21.gif

And the worst part is, I don't even play the Lotto!!!
I am even embarassed to let people know that I am so obsessed. I get embarassed when someone sees that I am on PS or DT.
My husband thinks I am crazy and keeps telling me I better not buy anything behind his back.
2.gif
cry.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kayla, my dear Rock!
Your ring setting has received the most over-the-top amount of applause and following around here... one thing I do know: if you want to GET RID of it, there should be quite a crwd waiting in line
2.gif
BTW: how about matching earrings (same prongs, same maker) to it? I have some trouble believing that the most revered ring on Pricescope is going to be replaced
cry.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You think you have it bad........
If I could buy / have made every ring and necklace Iv obsessed about for my wifey2b she would be wearing 500 pounds of jewelry.

I’m even working on a custom gemstone cut design of my own.
Ok ok I will admit I’m actually on my 3rd design!
When I am not obsessing about gemstones its settings.
You know take the head design of this one combine it with this shank add these sides and shake then cook at 350 for 45 min woops wrong thread ……

The funny part is that none of them are for me I just want a plain gold band and if I ever wear any other jewelry it will just be a tie tack!
Oh and I have a design ready for that two!

HELP!!!!!!!!!

:}

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
----------------

Kayla,

Your obsession doesn't sound too far out there. . .at least you're not actually wasting money on lottery tickets. I buy a few a month with the hope that I'll win and have millions to blow on diamonds. Not only have I planned out my entire diamond wardwrobe, I've also fantasized about all the great pieces I'd have made for my best friend.

Michelle

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Strmrdr, you're a keeper! I wish my DH could weigh me down in 500# of sparklies too.

DiamondLover23

Shiny_Rock
No you're not the only one at all!

I'm not even in the market for an e-ring yet....we're both not ready, plus I want to be closer to finishing grad school. Yet I look all of the time, and constantly change my mind!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Strmrdr, it sure would be nice to have a husband with half as much interest as you do in jewelry design. I'm trying to come up with design ideas for a new e-ring and wedding ring, and so far every picture or idea I pass before my husband for an opinion gets a, "that's nice, honey," or "uhm, maybe." I want him to be as in love with my jewelry as I am -- guess that ain't gonna happen
8.gif
. I'm realy lucky that he is easygoing about my jewelry purchasing though -- heehee.
9.gif

Diamondlil

mini

Rough_Rock
It's completely natural to still be infatuated with the endless possibilities of beautiful rings. It's so much fun to find them. We all wish money was not an issue... then we could really indulge
wink2.gif
Your ring is stunning, be pround!

Candace
www.abazias.com

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I believe that change is the spice of life. Especially when it comes to jewelry!
9.gif
My wedding and e-ring are very sentimental symbolically, but as life goes on, my tastes change, styles change, new designs come along, my lifestyle and peer group changes etc. I'm on my 4th setting and second stone. This is my last stone, but mostly likely, not my last setting, accessory ring or anniversary band!

I tell my husband to just enjoy the fact that I love it and give him lots of credit. He "sort of" goes along with that thinking......not as well as strmdr tho it sounds like.
2.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing much...other than being a woman.

I've discovered I want a five stone band badly.

Dunno why, I just *want* it.

I guess the job has to come first, but right after that, and the coat, I'm getting that ring!

win

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
I've discovered I want a five stone band badly.

Dunno why, I just *want* it.
win----------------

oooh, I can relate to the WANT. . .I'm totally wanting larger diamond earrings and even went and looked at some horribly overpriced "Leo" stud earrings at the maul just to torture myself. . . I need money, this is the bottom line! Maybe I should sell my husband's truck on eBay
11.gif

hehehe

Michelle

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Obsessed? I think owning seven wedding bands qualifies as obsessed. Count me in for the therapy.
2.gif

Actually, I have made a vow to stop. I think I've covered all the bases.

We're 2 weeks into 04 and I've stuck to my "one special thing a year" rule so far, although asking my husband to hide all my credit cards has probably helped.

At least I know now I am not alone.
twirl.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Egads, I just found a beautiful old Victorian 5 stone on the Fay Cullen site. Nice old mine cuts, bezel set for only $585.

Come on phone. ring!

win

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
Kayla,

After reading this thread, I had to go look at the picture of your setting. I know it's most polite to tell people, "do what you really want to..." but in this case I have to be rude -- do not EVEN THINK about trading that setting in for a RC. Your setting, combined with your seven stone band are absolute perfection. I am not even kidding. It's classic, and well-made, and it will never go out of style. Plus, your stone is stunning -- I'm sure that the Mege setting lets that stone take center stage. Really, don't change a thing. Let your ring thoughts drift to your right hand. Maybe you could "decorate" your right hand with things that could be interchanged onto your left hand now and then to give a different look when you're in the mood for it.....

Kris

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 1/14/2004 11:52:12 PM kayla17 wrote:

Whew!!!
Boy am I relieved to know that I am not the only one!!!
appl.gif

I seriously am considering either adding pave to my ring and having a custom made wedding band to match, or just getting the Vatche Royal Crown again.
Can you believe the other day I was daydreaming about winning the Lotto and thinking that if I did, I would put my current 2 ct. diamond in a pendant, get a new 3.5- 4.0 carat H&A, getting 2 ctw. diamond stud earrings and a 4-5 carat diamond tennis bracelet.
2.gif

I didn't even think about paying off my mortgage or car, later for that!!!
21.gif

And the worst part is, I don't even play the Lotto!!!
I am even embarassed to let people know that I am so obsessed. I get embarassed when someone sees that I am on PS or DT.
My husband thinks I am crazy and keeps telling me I better not buy anything behind his back.
2.gif
cry.gif
----------------

Me too! My husband is so confused about why I continue to frequent these sites!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the compliments on my ring. It still doesn't stop me from frequenting e-ring setting websites and drooling and planning! Yikes!!!!
2.gif

I think the thing that bothers me most is that the side of the LM ring that sits next to the wedding band is beginning to get a lot of scratches and cuts on it. I am really worried that it may cut through one day.
This never happened with the RC setting. I guess I can always wear my channel set diamond band with it or my original plain wedding band.

sxn675,
He sounds like my husband. He keeps asking me why I keep looking. What do I have in mind? What is my m.o.?
I think the idea is to keep him as confused as possible ( no offense guys), until he has no idea what hit him.
I do it when I buy bags and clothing all the time!!!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trust me girl, we can all relate. We don't hang out here on Pscope for our health.
2.gif
It's the dream of eye-candy and maybe one day that could be us owning that amazing ringearringsdiamondpendantbracelet thing that so and so posted pictures of.
2.gif

It's a sickness, but at least it's a pretty one.
2.gif
Also, priorities!! Do I want that LV bag or a new diamond? Eh.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww shucks :}
thanks for the compliments :}

harleywoman

Rough_Rock
Can you imagine what it's like if your husband is a jeweler and you order settings and pick out and handle diamonds all the time. You want everything. I can't tell you how many rings and earrings I have and how often I change the settings. My husband has taught me to do some of it in self defense so he doesn't have to be bothered

harleywoman

Rough_Rock
You are all perfectly normal. We woman just love to adorn ourselves with pretties. It's in our Jeans/Genes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results