shape
carat
color
clarity

what is the worse wedding that you ever attended?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when my niece got married in the middle of august outside in the 105* heat. i saw butter melted in front of my eyes during the reception. now,imagine poor DF with a suit and tie in the 105* heat.
37.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF-you''re back! We missed you.

I have two. My step brother got married in August near the ocean in MA. Anyone who lives in the NE knows that we can get some insane thunderstorms in the summer, especially near the water. Anyway, the sky opened up during the ceremony and lightening knocked the power out in the middle of the service (full mass). Luckily there were some candles lit on the altar so the priest was able to finish. Unfortunately for the guests the fans stopped and we were DYING!

The other one has to do with the wedding of a friend of mine last year. I bought a new dress (strapless Ann Taylor number) which was a little on the big side. As I sat down on the pew in the church 5 minutes before the ceremony was set to start, I felt a breeze on my side. The zipper broke! Thank god I had a pashmina with me because it would have been indecent! FI and I had to sit through the ceremony and then go find a mall between the ceremony and reception. The ladies at AT at that mall took pity on me and found me another dress to wear. Not the same dress though unfortunately. I really liked that dress...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty easy going when it comes to wedding and not that offended if there is a breach of "etiquette."

But I did go to one wedding (I think I''ve mentioned it here before) where it was a "church" wedding (meaning they were guilted into inviting the whole church). They obviously didn''t want to invite everyone and didn''t have the room. There was an "A-list" as well as a B and C list for guests. The A list were in the nice hotel reception with them. The B list were seated in tables out in the hallway. The C list (which was where I was since I didn''t know them all that well) was held at a Chinese restaurant about 10 miles away from the wedding reception site.

That alone wasn''t all that bad...after all, they were feeding us and we weren''t close friends. But at the end, when we got up to leave, the restaurant staff freaked out and asked us who was paying the bill? Apparently that was not taken care of in advance and we had to hunt down the groom''s sister by calling her and asking her if she could assure the restaurant staff they would get paid.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 2:42:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal
The C list was held at a Chinese restaurant about 10 miles away from the wedding reception site.
That''s just too weird. Why even invite that many people?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've only been to 7 weddings (including my own), but the worst was definitely the (ahem, dry) reception-only one (it was a LDS ceremony so we weren't allowed to attend that part) in Vegas. It was a very stuffy crowd, and there were no reserved tables, so my friends and I (I think there were 7 or 8 of us) had to split up across 5 tables and sit with some very anti-party people. Even so much as a giggle was met with disdainful looks from our table-mates.

To make matters worse, the dance floor was only 4x4 and surrounded by tables, so there wasn't enough room for us to get up and dance. It was either (rudely) stand among the tables, or sit - so we sat, miserably, stifling all conversation for fear of offending our stuffy tablemates.

We split as soon as the cake was cut. I think we were there for about an hour. As much as we adore the bride, it wasn't enough to justify sitting around bored
3.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 2:45:26 PM
Author: Starset Princess

The C list was held at a Chinese restaurant about 10 miles away from the wedding reception site.
That is hands down the weidest wedding segregation I have ever heard. I can''t believe you actually went to the Chinese restaurant. I think I would have been ticked enough to go home!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 2:51:39 PM
Author: April20

That is hands down the weidest wedding segregation I have ever heard. I can''t believe you actually went to the Chinese restaurant. I think I would have been ticked enough to go home!
It was probably over 12 years ago....Korean church weddings, gotta love them. Oh, and it was DRY.
23.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
The one where I was cursed out in front of the majority of guests
20.gif

Aside from that, it was a rainy day and the bride didn''t really have anything to prepare her guests for it so everyone got rained on. We had to take pictures posed outside so the $120 I spent on my hair that morning at about 7am was ruined by 10am. She didn''t really plan on having anyone direct people to the reception location after the ceremony so everyon stood hanging out at the ceremony venue but underneath one tented area so they wouldn''t get wet. When I finally was able to get everyone over, the food had been placed out for about 30 minutes so it was all cold. The DJ was horrible. That probably isn''t that big of a deal to others but music is important to me and I know she spent about $800 for 2 hours for some guy to hit play on his IPOD and then talk to his wife for the rest of the afternoon.

E B

Ideal_Rock
At one wedding I attended, the couple took off after the ceremony for photos. The reception space was just a short drive from the church and so we the guests sat there, waiting, for almost two hours for the bride and groom, stomachs grumbling. By the time they casually strolled in, it was way past a normal dinner time and it took the reception hall staff another hour to set up the buffet-style dinner. Many of their guests left before the food was even served.

The DJ at this same wedding was also quite rude. At one point, during some silly Newlywed-esque game being played, he was shouting at guests to be quiet when they playfully called out answers. Chill, dude, it's just a game.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
worst was this wedding of my husbands co-worker. It was in a venue that only put one small try of appetizers per table. We were not given more if we wanted. That was the cocktail hour. Then for dinner there was bad chicken that had me throwing up at home. They charged for drinks (even seltzer for my sick tummy). Just bad. There is more but I think this little says enough

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty easy going when it comes to wedding and not that offended if there is a breach of ''etiquette.''

But I did go to one wedding (I think I''ve mentioned it here before) where it was a ''church'' wedding (meaning they were guilted into inviting the whole church). They obviously didn''t want to invite everyone and didn''t have the room. There was an ''A-list'' as well as a B and C list for guests. The A list were in the nice hotel reception with them. The B list were seated in tables out in the hallway. The C list (which was where I was since I didn''t know them all that well) was held at a Chinese restaurant about 10 miles away from the wedding reception site.

That alone wasn''t all that bad...after all, they were feeding us and we weren''t close friends. But at the end, when we got up to leave, the restaurant staff freaked out and asked us who was paying the bill? Apparently that was not taken care of in advance and we had to hunt down the groom''s sister by calling her and asking her if she could assure the restaurant staff they would get paid.

OMG..that is just WOW
33.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I was a bridesmaid and this was when I was just out of college. The preacher asked the wedding party during the rehearsal if we were all saved. I was just going to smile and not engage him, but a friend who is very fiesty and an atheist, explained her status and that I am Jewish. So the next morning we were asked to come to Jesus during the wedding ceremony. The groom stopped the preacher after he harangued the two of us for being sinful and then went on to denounce alcohol, which flowed freely at the reception. The reception was really a great time, a total disconnect from the ceremony.
The worst reception was when the bride ditched my friend at the altar. He was standing up front and a bm walked up the aisle to whisper to him in front of us all that the bride was not coming. My friend asked his friends to come to the reception anyway since the food was paid for. I was relieved for him as she was not good to him or for him and in the long run it worked out for the best, but wow that was a moment.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 3:40:22 PM
Author: swimmer
I was a bridesmaid and this was when I was just out of college. The preacher asked the wedding party during the rehearsal if we were all saved. I was just going to smile and not engage him, but a friend who is very fiesty and an atheist, explained her status and that I am Jewish. So the next morning we were asked to come to Jesus during the wedding ceremony. The groom stopped the preacher after he harangued the two of us for being sinful and then went on to denounce alcohol, which flowed freely at the reception. The reception was really a great time, a total disconnect from the ceremony.
The worst reception was when the bride ditched my friend at the altar. He was standing up front and a bm walked up the aisle to whisper to him in front of us all that the bride was not coming. My friend asked his friends to come to the reception anyway since the food was paid for. I was relieved for him as she was not good to him or for him and in the long run it worked out for the best, but wow that was a moment.
23.gif
To both.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 2:56:43 PM

Date: 6/8/2009 2:51:39 PM
Author: April20

It was probably over 12 years ago....Korean church weddings, gotta love them. Oh, and it was DRY.
23.gif
I would have had to go buy a flask!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was ages and ages ago. We went to a wedding of one of DH''s friends. A guy he grew up with... Marry''s a girl neither of us knew very well... Nothing from the church service was going to prepare us for what was to come...

We get to the reception, held at the brides house. Lovely house in Princeton NJ tons of land, just gorgeous. We get there, the bride is walking around carrying her dog and rolling her eyes... She wasn''t into talking to anyone!!! I have never seen anything like it in my life.

I thought to myself, well this clearly won''t last her behaviour is just awful. But they are still married and have 3 almost grown kids.

I still don''t know her very well, but secretly I want to ask her, on your wedding day, what was up with YOU!!!!
20.gif
3.gif

I mean she was given a gorgeous wedding married a great guy. Why the eye rolling. Everyone was talking about it.

Spoiled maybe, or perhaps she was soooo shy?? I don''t know, and guess I never will.

It was the worst because I was sooooo darn uneasy with the way she acted... I wanted to leave.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Recently I was invited to a post-DW reception for a friend that I used to work with. I could tell that we were last minute additions because we had never received an actual paper invite- just a phone call from the groom. Since we never received a paper invite we were never informed of the level of dress we should consider so we we both dressed sort of casually because he had made it out to be a fairly casual event.

No. It was not. At all.

We arrived in khakis/polo shirt and a casual skirt and tee shirt. There were people in SUITS there and the MOB was wearing her dress from the actual wedding! There were people from my friend''s side (he is from Bangaledesh) who were in full on wedding/formal gear.

Then, we were sitting at our table, hideously uncomfortable and the bride walks up to me and says, "Who are you and what''s your name?" I was just MORTIFIED.

We left before the cake was even cut with an excuse that we had people waiting for us at home.

The second weird experience I had was at the wedding for my first friend to get married after college. The reception was about 300 people and merged two cultures. Half of the speeches were in lao and half of the speeches were in English. Whenever the bride''s family was toasting the English speaking people would be talking amongst themselves at their tables and whenever the groom''s family was toasting it would be the other way around so there was always this din of people talking over the person with the mic. Since they had such a huge guest list the receiving line took FOREVER. Then the bride had to go change her wedding outfits and then they had two fairly long first dances. I think it was 2 hours between when we arrived and when we got to eat, with NO appetizers served. Needless to say we were starving.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
The worst wedding I''ve been to was my ''childhood'' friend''s wedding. Her parents and mine had cottages next to each other, so we spent our ''growing up'' summers together.

Anyway, she had planned her wedding for late fall, early winter (cooler/cold in Michigan!) but for some reason, they had to postpone it until SUMMER (hot and muggy)...her dress was fitted satin, with long sleeves (designed by her designer friend)...good for her original wedding date, but SO not a summer dress.

Well, the ceremony was held in a 120 year old chapel (no air conditioning!) and it was PACKED. It was a full Catholic service, which was about an hour long...but it also started late! While we were inside, someone STOLE the wedding gifts, BM''s purses, etc. from the cars in the parking lot! None of the guests knew that however and we all made our way to the hall..since her venue had changed, all that was available was a TINY, TINY hall...we were packed in, like sardines and it was HOT too.

Since they had to stay behind and call the police to file a LENGTHY report, we were all waiting at the hall, with no food. I was starving, but had a glass of wine while we waited (big mistake), I didn''t realize we''d have to sit there another HOUR before the bridal party arrived. Then the food still wasn''t brought out!! I actually felt ILL from drinking the wine on an empty stomach and from BAKING all day in the hot church and hall...so DH and I had to leave...we hit McD''s on the way home, LOL, I didn''t even want to go in to a nice restaurant, I need to eat, FAST...McD''s never tasted so good!
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like weddings. So this wasn't 'bad' it was just that there was one strange episode. The father of the groom (who I can only imagine has some health issues) decided to strip on the dance floor toward the end of the (open bar) reception. Took his pants right off before anyone knew what was happening. There was a black light. His underwear was white. He was around 70. The underwear glowed and everything else jiggled as he shook his groove thing. And then his sons hustled him into the restroom. Never seen anything like that before in my life. Never want to again.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 4:52:40 PM
Author: Gypsy
I like weddings. So this wasn''t ''bad'' it was just that there was one strange episode. The father of the groom (who I can only imagine has some health issues) decided to strip on the dance floor toward the end of the (open bar) reception. Took his pants right off before anyone knew what was happening. There was a black light. His underwear was white. He was around 70. the underwear glowed and everything else jiggled as he shook his groove thing. And then his sons hustled him into the restroom. Never seen anything like that before in my life. Never want to again.
This is so, so wrong.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been to lots and lots of weddings over the years. Many of them were not the greatest, but none of them sticks out as being particularly bad. I''ve been outside in burning heat, I''ve been to weddings where they ran out of food.... but I''ve never been to a wedding where I got sent to an offsite restaurant or an old guy got nekkid, so I guess I really haven''t experienced bad.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''ve ever been to a bad wedding as a whole, but I''ve attended a couple that have had a
23.gif
moment or two.

During the most recent wedding I went to, a guest got so drunk that she puked on the floor...of the Knights of Columbus. Classy!

A friend of mine is a priest and gave a sermon at a mutual friend''s wedding. Apparently he was asked to do the sermon last minute and sortof threw it together - he took the "many waters cannot quench love" too literally and did a sermon on Hurricane Katrina. The connection? That''s the bride''s name. I thought it couldn''t get worse until he started talking about divorce, too. Not the best I''d heard.

And, Gypsy, I''ve been to a stripping wedding, too! The DJ urged the groom to strip, and since the BP took photos before the ceremony and boozed for the hour afterwards, they were BLITZED when they walked in. So, by the time the dancing started, the groom had no idea what he was doing...luckily it didn''t get as far as your guy.

My own wedding was 95 degrees (outside) and a few people had some issues with non-sweat friendly fabrics. I still feel bad about that.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sadly, the worst I went to was one where the bride was completely messed up on pain killers. My husband and I were in shock! Later it came out that she had a medical issue and that was why she was on medication. (the condition was short-term. . .it would have made sense to postpone the ceremony)

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t been to that many weddings, but the one I didn''t like was dry, the food was French Fries and salad (yep, that''s it) and there wasn''t nearly enough of it. I got to the buffet late and the Fries tray was mostly empty and when I asked for more, there wasn''t any. I''m sorry, but please FEED the people who fly out 4 hours to your wedding!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. It was wrong. We were sitting at our table and well, it took a few seconds to process what was going on. We were both sober (not big drinkers) and watching people dancing... and then it was like... wait, did I just see... oh...oh, no. NO. NO. NO. NO. Okay someone''s got him. They''re taking him away. Who was that? Oh, the father of the bride. Mmm.... okay.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and I forgot another one. Nothing happened that anyone KNEW about. My husband was in the bridal party and I was ill, so I skipped the ceremony and decided to meet up with him at the reception. Well, I got there and I couldn''t find him. But I found the groom. Who was so wasted (this was still the cocktail hour) that he was leaning against one of the walls with his eyes closed and his knees kept sagging, and he kept kinda waking up and straightening up, then the eye would close the knees would sag, and well... repeat. So I got up to him and ask him where my husband is. He says, "OH HI LAYLA! HOW ARE YOU.... babble babble babble" and I realize I''m not gonna get any coherance from him so I say, "Where''s *insert Brides name*"... And he says, "WHO?"
23.gif
and I''m like... " *Bridesname* THE BRIDE! THE WOMAN YOU JUST MARRIED???" And he''s like.... "Oh she''s around here... somewhere."

I did find my husband. Eventually. The Bride was toasted too. She at least could stand up straight though. But their first dance was just drunken fumbling.

Nice wedding too. Lovely food (lots of alcohol), beautiful location. The wedding was lovely.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the weddings I''ve been to have been lovely, and even the worst wasn''t that terrible, just super awkward for the bride.

In between the ceremony and reception, the bridal party took a trolley around to local bars, and got roaring drunk. Unfortunately, the bride wasn''t so great at holding her booze, and she fell asleep during dinner at her reception. Some of the reception events (toasts, dances) had to be cancelled or rearranged while her sister and new husband tried to wake her up.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 4:52:40 PM
Author: Gypsy
I like weddings. So this wasn''t ''bad'' it was just that there was one strange episode. The father of the groom (who I can only imagine has some health issues) decided to strip on the dance floor toward the end of the (open bar) reception. Took his pants right off before anyone knew what was happening. There was a black light. His underwear was white. He was around 70. The underwear glowed and everything else jiggled as he shook his groove thing. And then his sons hustled him into the restroom. Never seen anything like that before in my life. Never want to again.
Eeeeeeek!
14.gif

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I just read all of the responses on this topic (which I thoroughly enjoyed BTW), and decided I had to add my experience. Toward the end of the night (and much alcohol) the groom''s family decided to start a FIGHT....punches thrown, cursing, police called, etc. I felt badly for my friend (the bride), but at least it didn''t happen until the end of the reception (when about 1/2 of the people had already left). It was quite the experience, and I am thankful I have never seen this again!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
There seems to be a recurring theme to these posts...too much booze = not a nice wedding. WHY do so many brides, grooms and attendants (even other guests!) mess up what is supposed to be such a nice day by getting SO drunk, you can't even STAND? Sorry, I just don't see the point. If someone WANTS to get stinking drunk, do it on a day that is insignificant, not on your wedding day, ya know? There is no excuse for that. It's a celebration, not a day to get totally wasted. That is just a rude and inconsiderate thing to do to the family members and guests who came to congratulate the newlyweds.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I can say I have never been to a bad wedding. The only thing that happened a long time ago, it was so hot that the best man fainted. That wasn't even a bad thing. I mean yes it was a bad thing, but nothing that ruined the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results