shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the longest trip you have taken with only a carry-on

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are taking our sons on a Washington DC, New York and Maine trip this June. I was hoping to just take carry-ons and maybe
wash clothes once while we are there. We may be gone up to 2 weeks.

What items do you HAVE to take with you?

Am I crazy? (okay only in regard to the packing issue :naughty: )

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: What is the longest trip you have taken with only a carr

I think you're very wise, actually.

When we went to Ireland last summer DH and I packed BOTH of our things together in a medium Eddie Bauer duffel bag, which is 13"Hx24 1/2"Wx11"D, and could be taken as a carry-on. I washed some key items a couple times when we were there, and I was so happy that we didn't over-pack.

I started a thread asking for tips on packing light and got some really great advice in it:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...for-packing-light.143342/?hilit=ireland Haven

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I never check in a bag...the only exception is when we go home to Australia...then I have to since I got the kid with me too.

The hardest trip I packed for was a 2 week biz trip...1 week in FL and 1 in Michigan. That was logistically challenging because what I wore to one, hard to wear to the other.

I traveled to Australia for 3 weeks with a carry on. I also did 4 months in Europe with a carry on, since my backpack did fit overhead. I checked it on the way home though since I was sick of it.

Traveling light is the key to travel happiness. Also, I really love it when I have to make connections. I can't tell you how many times I had to drive from Chicago to Wisconsin since my commuter leg was cancelled. I had my bag with me, rented a car and just went.

Pack your bag, and take out half. :wavey:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Two weeks thru Europe, packed all neutral colors mix and match that could be easily washed in the sink overnight!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I forgot to include the length of our trip in my last post--it was 10 days.

Sam121

Rough_Rock

4 weeks over the winter. After watching the movie Up in the Air, I realized I frequently over pack but only use 30% of what I actually packed. That totally changed the way I travel, and I try to keep everything to carry on only unless I have a 2 month long trip where I have different events to go to.

Things that I pack with me all the time when I travel is one of those Eagle Cube systems. It helps me organize my clothes, and I can squeeze a lot of stuff (all rolled up) into a tiny packing cube. Also it prevents me from carrying more than I should be taking with me!

A good travel wallet also makes it stress free, especially during the security check process. There's all the taking off, putting on, moving things that's going on that some times I can't even remember where I put my boarding pass. I should have gotten this a long time ago!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock

Why do you not like checking-in bags? Is it just fear of them getting lost?

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Hawaii for 2 weeks - we usually stay in a condo that has a washer and dryer and I would do laundry before we go to bed or first thing in the am while we are showering getting dressed. Otherwise, if we are in a hotel we have the hotel do the cleaning or you can find a cleaners that can do the laundry for you in a day. The only thing I ever checked were ski's.

Also, it will be much warmer in DC than it will be in Maine, particularly in the morning and late evenings. Make sure you have jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts for Maine. Depending where you go in NY (upstate vs city) it can get pretty chilly in upstate NY as well, even in June.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You guys are my inspiration! I was pretty sure it COULD be done, but not sure of all the particulars yet of the how. I have been
collecting things for a while to streamline the traveling we want to do. I bought a teeny tiny ionic hair dryer with a nozzle. I always
hate the dryers in hotel rooms. I also have a large, soft and light leather crossbody bag that I can put my kindle and make-up, camera
and the Ipad I am going to buy for the trip. I will bring a small organized bag for the days.

I was thinking, a couple pairs of crop pants, one pair of jeans and a bunch of tee-shirts. I don't think we will be going to any
restaurants that require a dressy outfit. But I didn't even think of cool nights. Thanks, Soocool! I was really thinking, hot and sticky!

I will check out the thread you mentioned Haven, thanks. I have been so interested every time you have posted a thread about
one of your trips!

When you travel and do a lot of walking, do you wear tennis shoes? I would guess, they will have to be the shoes I wear on the
plane for packing purposes. I have never been able to find a pair of shoes that I could wear for a lot of walking that would be
comfortable all day. I recently saw some Jambu-Vegan shoes that I thought might work but I am not sure they are any cuter
than tennis shoes.

Also, I was going to bring work-out clothes but I think we will be doing enough walking all day, I can skip it.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

8 days in Florida and there were two things I didn't even wear!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock

My top suggestions as a frequent multi-leg multi-month international traveler with a well founded phobia of checking things.

For lots of walking make sure you have 2 pairs of comfy shoes, one dressier than average sneakers. Just the switch from one pair to the other can be such a relief. (I like cute soccer sneakers and black leather Danskos or something of that nature...)

Consolidate, do you really need both a kindle and an ipad? Can't the ipad function as your kindle? Bundle all your cords tightly and keep a separate ziplock bag for tech stuff as it is the most likely to be left behind and chargers are such a pita to replace.

medium dark pants, light tops, organic detergent that won't matter if you leave some in the fabric, and bras that dry overnight when washed and hung up in the shower.

Have fun, your goal is totally do-able and worst case scenario you get to buy some clothes!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

When I went to California, I decided to pack enough clothes for two weeks so I'd not have to do laundry at all and it was a HUGE mistake. We still had to do laundry, plus hauling all the bags around was a PITB. Now, though, I do not think we could fit all their clothes in a carry-on because they're older. They'd still need enough clothes to last a few days (because even though the idea of doing laundry sounds great, you may not have time) and that'd take up one backpack per kid. But, if we could fit all those clothes in a carry-on, we'd do so.

But, really, if it comes down to it, it won't hurt them to wear the same shirt two days in a row if you have to. lol :) (just bring extra socks/undergarments for them!!!)

ooooh, and also, you can always buy a few things if necessary if you do needing something you didn't pack.

Also, do you have enough room for clothes, etc., plus books & activities...how old are your kids?

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Don't know where you wil be in Maine, but LL Bean is not too far from Portland - great store. If you end up buying any extras on your trip, ship it back home instead of carrying it on the plane. I once shipped all my dirty clothes home so I did not have to bother packing it or carrying it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We are doing this trip basically to replace the 8th grade trip to D.C. that my son's school took last week. It was expensive, (2500.00)
for a week and even more for the parent to go with. I decided we could take a trip with at least four of us for that price. I have
always wanted to go to Maine, so we will be adding this too. I would have liked to taken everyone, but a couple kids have to work,
And my son with a brain injury is just too difficult to travel with. So, three kids are staying home and I am taking my 21 year old
and my 14 year old.

Now the 21 year old, has asked to visit a couple colleges on the east coast where he is thinking about going for a masters program.
I am not sure how I feel about that since it wasn't what I planned. We will see. But they will both be responsible for their own
stuff.

I would love to go to LL Bean if possible. I was thinking about bringing some Dansko's but they really only go with long pants. I think
it may be hot and sticky most of the time. We are trying to go early enough to miss the worst of it.

Mostly, I want to go to Maine for the lobster, so we will probably stick to the coast. Can I eat enough to last me a year? I don't know
but we will try!

We will be going to Philadelphia to see the Liberty Bell, and to Hershey, PA because going to a town that smells like chocolate sounds
completely divine! If I could get to QVC to take a tour, I would be game. We will also be going to Mt. Vernon and Monticello and
many of the Smithsonian museums. We will spend a couple days in New York, and really wanted to see Spiderman on Broadway, but
since it is now closed, we may not see a show.

DH is writing a letter to our congresswoman to see if we can hook up with a tour of the White House. It is a long shot but we will see.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

It sounds like a wonderful trip and I am sure you will all have a blast.

May I recommend the following place in Maine (depending on where you will be) it is called The Lobster Shack at Two Lights. http://www.lobstershacktwolights.com/ (it is not far from Portland)

We have been here numerous times and have always chosen to sit outdoors to eat. The view is spectacular. It gets really busy there and there is often a long line to get food, but worth it IMO (not expensive either). Rght around the corner (don't know if he is still there or not) lives a local artist and his garage door is usually open and you can walk inside and view his work. My favorite place to visit is Cape Elizabeth (Portland Headlight)

April20

Ideal_Rock

I'm in the last four days of a 12 day trip with just a carry on. It's been great not having to lug heavy baggage everywhere. The key for me was packing clothes I could layer for different looks and bringing only two pairs of shoes- one black, one tan. It's the shoes that will kill a bag.

Eta, we did bring back packs too for what we bring home and for the iPad and kindle. We've been using one backpack during the day when we're running around. It's been handy to be able to put purchases "away" during the day.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Soocool! I will definitely add that place to our itinerary!!!! I sounds great. I know there were a couple places we saw
on Triple D, and we wanted to look that up too.

April, I remember reading something about your trip (random comments thread maybe?) but wasn't sure you were keeping online.

My biggest dilemma is that I have never found a comfortable pair of flat shoes to walk in all day. I though I would bring tennis
shoes, flip-flops, and maybe these:
http://www.zappos.com/jambu-jbu606-vegan-black

What do you think? I do have one pair of ballet flats that are pretty comfortable but I think my attire will pretty much be crop pants,
tee shirts and 1 jacket and 1 pair of jeans.

Haven, if you see this, I looked at your thread and it is pretty awesome. I remember reading about a special jacket you brought,
and when hubby and I were at REI the other day I spotted one and remembered (Marmot!). I put a note in my phone. I probably
won't get one for this trip but for sure the next! I am going to bookmark that thread, it is a great reference for infrequent travelors
like me!

I love all the ideas! You guys are awesome! It sure makes me feel better about pulling this thing off. I am a huge over-packer
normally, so this will be a learning experience!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I went to Europe for 7 weeks with ony carry on ;)) But I was 23 and staying in hostels.

More recently, I have gone for 6 days with only carry on. It is the BEST way to fly! Between a carry on wheel bag and the shoulder bag you can take, it is more than enough room for a smart packer.

Sam121

Rough_Rock

soocool|1302637220|2894299 said:
It sounds like a wonderful trip and I am sure you will all have a blast.

May I recommend the following place in Maine (depending on where you will be) it is called The Lobster Shack at Two Lights. http://www.lobstershacktwolights.com/ (it is not far from Portland)

I agree. And if you guys are up for it, Acadia National Park is GORGEOUS. we went up first thing in the morning on some of the cliffs (not much of a hike since they had quite a few lookout spots for you to park and walk) to catch the sunrise and it was just breathtaking.It gets chilly though (about 40 in the morning in Maine when I was up there over the summer), so pack something warm.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock

My husband and I did two weeks in Australia with just a carry-on for each of us plus another small shoulder bag that we also carried on. I was darn proud of us, and it made traveling so easy. We planned our lodging so that we would have laundry facilities the mid-way point.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock

Two weeks, in Europe with really large backpacks. We hit up 5 different countries in that time. It was "turbo tourism" as my dad puts it. It was our last daddy-daughter trip as a gift for my college graduation... but yes, we got through that time with just our carry ons.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

4 months and 3 countries (Guatemala, USA and Canada). Hiking, weaving, metalworking, exploring, fine dining, theater and opera included.

I had enough clothing for 2 weeks without doing laundry and everything was mix-and-match. A little jersey black dress was my lifesaver. It always looked nice, didn't wrinkle and got me through all restaurants and theaters. Eventually, I got a second bag that I had to check in, because I couldn't take hammers and tools in the cabin *grumble, grumble, grumble*

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Turtledazzle, Mrswahs, and Lady Disdain, all I can say is Wow, Wow and Wow.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

mayerling|1302594187|2893906 said:
I only moderately fear lost luggage, and I am always annoyed waiting for the suitcase to arrive at baggage claim, but for me, it's really the difficulty of lugging a huge suitcase around when I'm traveling.

When I was in high school I went on a school trip to Europe for something like 18 days. I packed the world's largest suitcase and carrying that thing was a disaster. It was monstrously big in tiny hotel rooms, getting it to fit on the sleeper train was a nightmare, and OMG I don't even want to think about carrying up the narrow stairs when the hotels were elevator-free.

Never again.

I went to Japan for 10 days with just a carry-on. I posted a lot about it in Haven's thread, but it was totally doable. More importantly, it was freedom.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

sillyberry|1302708335|2894960 said:
I only moderately fear lost luggage, and I am always annoyed waiting for the suitcase to arrive at baggage claim, but for me, it's really the difficulty of lugging a huge suitcase around when I'm traveling.

When I was in high school I went on a school trip to Europe for something like 18 days. I packed the world's largest suitcase and carrying that thing was a disaster. It was monstrously big in tiny hotel rooms, getting it to fit on the sleeper train was a nightmare, and OMG I don't even want to think about carrying up the narrow stairs when the hotels were elevator-free.

Never again.

I went to Japan for 10 days with just a carry-on. I posted a lot about it in Haven's thread, but it was totally doable. More importantly, it was freedom.

I totally agree! Life is just so much easier with a small roll on with a good carrying handle.

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock

TravelingGal|1302578813|2893838 said:
Traveling light is the key to travel happiness. Also, I really love it when I have to make connections. I can't tell you how many times I had to drive from Chicago to Wisconsin since my commuter leg was cancelled. I had my bag with me, rented a car and just went.

Pack your bag, and take out half. :wavey:

Ugh - they ALWAYS cancel the Chicago to Wiscosnin legs. And they don't care at all - "just take the bus" they always tell me. Like I want to be on a bus for 2 hours when I had planned to be on a plane for a half hour??

I used to be SO good at packing super light but have gotten bad in recent years - I just can't seem to figure out what to take out after I pack it and so it all comes with....

mayerling

Ideal_Rock

sillyberry|1302708335|2894960 said:

Never again.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I hate having to lug around a suitcase in the airport/on a plane, so I just prefer checking it in. Actually, I recently started checking in my laptop (within the suitcase), and love it.

Also, I hate the endless queues on planes while I wait for every other person trying to fit their oversized luggage in the overhead compartments (something which occurs everywhere, though more frequently in the US as I've discovered).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results