shape
carat
color
clarity

WHat is/are thing/s that you never thought you needed

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
But now you had to have.....

I never thought i would be a person who would buy luxury items but now....
I own:
1) a few diamonds.. and maybe a few more in the works :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: PS I am not sure if i like you or loathe you!!!
2) LV small leather good.... OMG- i love them...i have 2 and getting one more for xmas...
3) Watches... i am constantly thinking of more... but suffice to say i am just having one... JLC reverso Duo....

What have other PSer's didnt know that they had to have???

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our beach house. I would be happy just being a city girl but now that I have had a place to get away from it all weekends and vacations at the beach for the last 15 years I would sorely miss it. Of course we don't need to have the beach house but just like diamonds it's nice to have and makes life more enjoyable.

Greg, enjoy all your luxury items in health and happiness. These things while not critical to our survival makes our time on earth a little bit nicer and more enjoyable and are good for our emotional soul.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx Missy. Life's little luxuries.. we work hard, so might as well enjoy it.
I (skim) read that you are dealing with a lot but still keeping positive with everything, which is great...Hope your webinar goes well today.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, thank you so much Greg. I appreciate your good thoughts for me and sending big cyber hugs your way.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new tent, as I honestly thought I had reached my tent set-up nirvana two years ago.

However, the current tent has 40+ pegging points, very secure in stormy weather once it is up, however, it takes a lot of time and effort to pitch, and I am not getting any younger.

Hence I am saving up for a top end canvas inflatable tent package called Karsten for next year that is much easier to pitch, and highly customisable for one's needs.

This will be my last tent before I venture into the dark side and become a RV or caravan owner.

DK :))

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi dk168,
Great effort with the camping and pitching up the tent!!! the inflatable sounds like a great idea!!!! i am assuming that there is a compressor that comes with it!!! :cheeky: :cheeky:
i have always dreamed of camping away... but never got to do it as a kid. i did a couple as an adult but it didnt grab me... maybe it was the crowd that i went camping with...now.. me likes me luxuries too much.... hot shower, cooking on a stove with lots of room...

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Title indicates thread is about needs, but content is about what posters want. How did luxury items become "needs"?

Some people really need basic items for survival, comfort and productivity.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Creative space, in my basement. I am happy we never fully finished our basement and our basement is huge. My DH created a space just for me where I can sew, set up my knitting machine, space for other stuff I like to do like mosaics, pottery painting, scrapbooking, etc. i have too many things I like to do. I can forget about time in that space and totally relax since I cannot hear any outdoor noises down there.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me a recently discovered "need" is my own vehicle, and not only one that is my own, but one large enough for me to transport larger items. Since the accident, we've been sharing a vehicle, and it's becoming a serious issue in itself, because this car is fairly unreliable. It's needed towing twice, and we've borrowed a car once, and rented a car the other time. But while I was finishing up weddings, in which I have seating boards to handle--3 ft by 4 ft foam core boards that cannot be dinged or bent -- it was made clear that this vehicle we share is not going to cut it for the transport of these fragile items. I've been borrowing my dad's large SUV for the days I need to do so. That's not practical for him or for me. Thankfully my latter two weddings of the year were for the kids of family friends with whom my parents are very friendly (well, duh family friends) so it was really the two of us delivering the item. Not particularly professional, but easier to do, and they get to chat while I get the item set up and all that.

It is a luxury to be a two vehicle household, yes, but when two people work outside the home, and two people need reliable transportation and that changes, it becomes quite a situation. I did order a new vehicle, it just isn't in yet. As excited as I am about the new vehicle, I am a little anxious at the choice to do so!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent some years (a few times) without a jacket. Didn't think I needed one because I was just inside all day and if I did have to go outside, it wasn't for long and it was usually doing something that could damage a jacket so I didn't think I'd wear one if I had one.

Just got home from taking "A" to school. Drove her there in 28 degree weather with the windows all open :-o (now have to wait for daylight so I can go see where those bleach fumes are coming from!) The new jacket I splurged on (splurged? It was on sale for $40) was definitely something I needed today!

I didn't figure I needed more than one pair of pants. Since there is a load of laundry (or more) every day, I could just wear the one pair and toss it in the load in the evening while I lounged in DH's sweatpants. After a couple of years of every day wear and wash, they finally wore out. The store happened to have two pairs in my size on clearance so I bought both. It was so nice to just toss my pants in to wash and not worry that they may not be dry by the time I needed to leave!

Life really isn't quite that bad here! DH and I both grew up without having a lot of stuff that is usually "needed" so both tend to not get different things because we don't really "need" them. We usually balance each other out pretty well in that I hate to see him needing something and will push (up to just going and buying it without him) to make sure he has it and he does the same for me.
Besides, if we don't get all the extra stuff it means we can spoil our cats & dogs even more :bigsmile:

ETA:
It is funny how the "needs" change with age and also with time. There is so much that I have always seen as a "need" even though they really aren't exactly (SoniCare, waterpik, espresso machine, meat slicer, power tools). My grandparents didn't think they were "need" to have things so much as luxuries. Now I'm watching "A" and have her upset because she "needs" this or that thing that is really not a "need" but a luxury (like her own smartphone (she has a basic non-smart phone) or her own car or a wardrobe big enough to clothe a small army (last count had her able to wear something different every day for 3+ weeks and not have to worry about laundry) or a daily Starbucks or...).

I think what we see as "need" has a fair amount to do with what we grew up with. Some things (like my not having a jacket) continue to seem unimportant so continue to be a luxury as opposed to a need. Other things get over corrected so a less than important thing becomes a "need" (like our cases and cases full of books).

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I never thought I needed a microwave oven until about 6 yrs ago when someone gave me their older one when they purchased a new one.

I knew most people didn't really cook with them, and only heat stuff up. I never thought it was such a big deal to heat food up.
Now, It does make life easier, so its one item that has become a necessity, although I hate re-heating pizza in it. Oven is the way to go.

Paper towels is another one that I thought I could do without. I use rags, sponges, and cloths, to wipe things up, and re-wash in the washing machine. I thought paper towels were an extravagance. As I had more disposable income I began to buy them, and now find it much easier to clean things up, except for stains on carpet.

Some habits die hard. I re-use aluminum foil that is still clean, and freezer bags that don't have raw meat in them.

Annette

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH talked me into upgrading our internet connection speed. I didn't think we needed it but it's great, don't think I'd be able to go back to slower one.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Electric can opener. The very though seemed utterly ridiculous to me. Who needs one of those? Why do they even exist?

Then I got arthritis and both my shoulders went. Now I can't live without one. They don't even build them to last, no matter how much you pay. :wall: My old manual Swingline would have lasted me a lifetime.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1415800552|3781933 said:
Title indicates thread is about needs, but content is about what posters want. How did luxury items become "needs"?

I see your point but I took "need" here as tongue in cheek, almost as kind of making fun of ourselves and our baubles.

I have two people in me.
Day to day I live extremely frugally compared to most.
My SO says I'm tighter than a duck's @ss when it comes to parting with money.
But when I decide I want to splurge on a few things I research like crazy; often the more I learn the more I understand the reasons/justifications to go for the best or near-best.

FCDs, camera gear, top-cut white diamonds, uber-fine Swarovski binoculars, piano, guitars, microphones and preamps, 10x loupe, Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinski Sable watercolor artist brushes, aquarium filter, hand-forged high-carbon steel Japanese knives (thank you TristanC).

Here's a good example of the two people coexisting in me.
Barbers and dog groomers are expensive, and it's a repeating lifelong expense. :knockout:
I save money by cutting our own hair, me, my SO and our two dogs.
... but I had to buy a $140 professional-level Oster clippers.
Unfortunately I had to go through two cheaper clippers that didn't have the umph to cut the dog's thick coats.
As with many things the best can be cheaper in the long run.

Now that I list them I see most of these are not just status symbols, but tools that do a job and do it very well.
Granted, loose FCDs don't do anything, but ... :Up_to_something:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1415800552|3781933 said:

I took that to mean things that started out as a luxury or want that became a need for the enjoyment/productivity/effect on your life it gave you. I don't think anyone never thought they would need food or shelter.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
High quality waterproof snow boots! I always sucked it up during the NY winters and just wore sneakers. Last year I bought a pair of men's shearling lined and waterproof snow boots, OMG it has made commuting in winter so much better!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1415798256|3781917 said:
Hi dk168,
Great effort with the camping and pitching up the tent!!! the inflatable sounds like a great idea!!!! i am assuming that there is a compressor that comes with it!!! :cheeky: :cheeky:
i have always dreamed of camping away... but never got to do it as a kid. i did a couple as an adult but it didnt grab me... maybe it was the crowd that i went camping with...now.. me likes me luxuries too much.... hot shower, cooking on a stove with lots of room...

I am hoping to avoid the need to buy another compressor as I carry one all the time in my car as she has runflat tyres and does not carry a spare.

I only started camping in 2006, loved it, got the bug, and am catching up on lost time and opportunities.

DK :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Kitchen Aid mixer. Functional counter eye candy!

cheers--Sharopn

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mistresses!.. :wink2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1415839805|3782353 said:

How many are in your harem, DF?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1415840845|3782360 said:

When DF gets that Octavia on his hand, i am sure there will be a bevy of them lining up outside his house!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1415845171|3782421 said:

When DF gets that Octavia on his hand, i am sure there will be a bevy of them lining up outside his house!
:naughty: :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1415845448|3782424 said:

Yet another reason for Mrs. DF to take the Octavia away from DF and put it on her finger!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is fun to see what people have.

When we had our house built about 2 years ago I added and took off lights under our cabinets about 3 times and we finally left them on the list. We both absolutely love having them.

I had DH put a motion sensor on the light in the utility room. We walk in to it from the front hallway, our walk in closet or coming in to the house from the garage. It's great when you have your hands full; the light just comes on.

I wanted to use an iPad at work but didn't want to haul it back and forth each day so I bought a mini iPad for work. I use it for meetings, notes, email and bring it home every Friday. I have a regular sized iPad that i use at home. DH thinks I'm crazy to have 2 but since they auto sync data and documents I always have everything I want on either iPad.

Sharon already mentioned this but my kitchen aid mixer.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread! I'm also very frugal and grew up very poor so don't "need" much to get by but I certainly enjoy a few things I never thought necessary before such as:

1. Nepresso Coffee Machine at home - hubby just adores this and the convenience is great.
2. Two cars - due to our work (both full time) sharing one car in different directions just really sucks....
3. Books/Library Card - I'm a huge bookworm. Prefer reading to TV or internet so really hate not having a current book on the go.
4. Nice toiletries - after years of "Homebrand" toiletries & discount cosmetics - I'm really enjoying splashing out on a lovely night cream (Trilogy), perfumes and a few good quality makeup products. It's the little things that make me feel spoilt! :D

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1415846905|3782435 said:
Dancing Fire|1415845448|3782424 said:

Yet another reason for Mrs. DF to take the Octavia away from DF and put it on her finger!
:Up_to_something:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Multifocal contact lenses, or multifocal anything... :lol:

milk warmer/frother

macarons - yes, I NEED them. I blame my son. He got me addicted to them...

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For many years we had Comcast Limited Cable service for about $19 a month, just refused to pay more for TV since we didn't watch much TV. When Comcast started scrambling OTA HD signals requiring a box to receive the HD signal as SD analog we said that's it we're leaving.
Now we pay more for a whole house DVR HD service, but having a DVR is so nice. I guess I didn't know what we were missing all this time.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never had a cell phone until probably about 9 years ago. I never saw the need for one. Then I finally got one, and now it's the only phone I use. It still took me years to upgrade to a smart phone. Again, I never saw the need. If I wanted to access the internet, I'd just wait until I got home, and I didn't care about being able to look up things while on the go. I finally caved, and now I hate it when I leave my phone home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1415874086|3782571 said:
I never had a cell phone until probably about 9 years ago. I never saw the need for one. Then I finally got one, and now it's the only phone I use. It still took me years to upgrade to a smart phone. Again, I never saw the need. If I wanted to access the internet, I'd just wait until I got home, and I didn't care about being able to look up things while on the go. I finally caved, and now I hate it when I leave my phone home.

Same with me! My dh just bought me a cell phone one day without my consent (in 2003 I think so I have had one a bit longer than you Zoe) though I had wanted nothing to do with them at the time. One day he just presented me with a cell phone and said tough it's yours. And I never looked back. Now I cannot seem to do without it. Though I didn't give up my landlines as I like them much better than chatting on the mobile. I take my mobile with me wherever I go and I enjoy being able to access the internet. I wonder though how much we are giving up by being so attached to all these devices all the time and sometimes I long for the days before internet and mobile phones etc. But then I wake up back in reality and realize that (for most) there is no going back.

cflutist|1415860450|3782523 said:
For many years we had Comcast Limited Cable service for about $19 a month, just refused to pay more for TV since we didn't watch much TV. When Comcast started scrambling OTA HD signals requiring a box to receive the HD signal as SD analog we said that's it we're leaving.
Now we pay more for a whole house DVR HD service, but having a DVR is so nice. I guess I didn't know what we were missing all this time.

Similar situation with me. I refused to pay for tv all through the nineties until I moved (1995) and the new building couldn't get any tv reception at all without cable so I caved and paid for basic. Of course now we have full shebang and are paying dearly for it. Some days I think I will go back to just basic and keep netflix which is what we watch most of the time (LOVE Gilmore Girls and just started watching again from the beginning) but then for some reason I don't get rid of all the extra channels we have just in case. Sigh. Perhaps now is the time to clean house so to speak with all the extras we really don't "need".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results