shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you use to clean your bathtub?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I can't tell if the reformulation of my favorite Scrub Free tub cleaner sucks, or if it's my new tub that's weird. The tub is acrylic or something, not porcelain, but it didn't work on the porcelain tile either come to think of it.

The only version of Scrub Free I could find (it says it has "Oxyclean" or whatever in it now) just... didn't do anything whatsoever, it was like cleaning with nothing but water. I seriously ended up scrubbing the tub out with Dawn dishwashing soap after trying Scrub Free five times and doing nothing more than smearing the soap scum a tiny bit if I pushed reaaaalllly hard. I was not happy.
7.gif

I have a special loathing for tub scrubbing: it was my most hated chore growing up, and my mom only ever had that cruddy powdered cheap cleaner- Comet?- and it was a majorly labor intensive process with that stuff. After I moved out at 18, I gleefully splurged on the "expensive, forbidden" Scrub Free and reveled in it's soap scum melting super power.
9.gif
But now it let me down!
39.gif
29.gif
What is the deal? Is there something else out there that melts soap scum as well, and will make me happy and keep me from having to spend an hour scrubbing at the dang tub?

I suppose it could be that I (or my husband!) was extra specially nasty grubby this week and made the tub all grody with my dirt, and the cleaner was innocent of wrongdoing, but I don't think that's it somehow... I'm thinking it's the tub, or the cleaner that's up to no good.

ETA: Oh and the new formulation also smells like cat pee mixed with rotten oranges. (I swear it wasn't the cat pee in the corner!) It's never smelled like awesome but this version really did reeeeeek. I can put up with reekiness if it works, of course, but it was just like a joke this time- "haha, we will make your whole room smell of rotten pee oranges and you will keep spraying MORE because it doesn't do ANYTHING."

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simple Green. That''s it. or Awesome. Whatever is cheaper! It all works just the same to me, using a little green/yellow sponge.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Try mixing some baking soda with a bit of dishwashing soap. I used to use comet and softscrub, but both would leave me with a headache and my lungs hurting.
14.gif
So I started using baking soda/dishsoap, just like softscrub, yet not horrible to be around. This method works best if you let the paste set a bit, then go at it with a brillo pad/ scrub brush.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I used Kaboom. It is pretty cheap too. You can get it at the dollar store. The only thing about it is it smells a good bit so I always turned the fan on when I was cleaning the shower, but it works well.
I have now given that chore to DH since I loathe it and he went and got scrubby bubbles. Is that even what it is, or just how I say it. You know that commercial with the little cartoon scrubbers with faces. He says he likes it better, but I have no experience with it.
We also have the acrylic tub too. I am not even sure if they make the porcelain ones anymore.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use "scrubbing bubbles." It comes in a spray can. I have no idea how well it works because I only wait until the tub desperately needs cleaning and any sort of scrubbing is a vast improvement. It does work nicely for other bathroom fixtures that I do clean (twice a week), however, I will NOT buy it again because in both of the cans I have the liquid left over turns a dark red color and every time I take the lid off (which is difficult to pull off) the red stuff splatters out everywhere.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I like the Nature''s Source cleaners (made by the makers of Scrubbing Bubbles).

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I know it is terrible for you, but I couldn''t live without my Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean.

Seriously - I''ve never used anything even close to as good on the tub. It is literally like an eraser and all the scum just comes off like eraser shavings.

Date: 11/12/2009 2:29:15 PM
Author: october2008bride
I know it is terrible for you, but I couldn''t live without my Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean.

Seriously - I''ve never used anything even close to as good on the tub. It is literally like an eraser and all the scum just comes off like eraser shavings.

Me too. It goes SO quick... but we have one of those old claw foot tubs.. so it''s not acrylic. It works like a charm though!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 2:31:20 PM
Author: swedish bean

Date: 11/12/2009 2:29:15 PM
Author: october2008bride
I know it is terrible for you, but I couldn't live without my Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean.

Seriously - I've never used anything even close to as good on the tub. It is literally like an eraser and all the scum just comes off like eraser shavings.

Me too. It goes SO quick... but we have one of those old claw foot tubs.. so it's not acrylic. It works like a charm though!
THAT sounds perfect! I hate cleaners that make you have to scrub hard at the tub. I want the goop to go poof and just need a wipe down. Who cares if it's going to melt my sinuses too? That's what bathroom fans are for!

Thanks everybody. I'll probably try a couple of things suggested. I don't mind scrubbing at, like, the sinks or anything, so if it isn't soap-scum-melting enough for my taste I'll just use it to clean the sinks and whatnot.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I use a Mr. Clean pad on a stick. It's like a swiffer for your bathroom. They have two types of pads, scrubbing and mopping. It's AWESOME. I moved into an apartment with a major ring around the tub and this thing cleaned it in minutes with minimal effort.

eta... I think it's Mr. Clean... it's the only one like it and I bought it at walmart

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, the Kaboom makes me sick to my stomach with how it smells.
40.gif
I use a Mr.Clean magic eraser, and spray Mrs. Myers clean day shower cleaner on every morning after I get out. I use the Basil scent, and you can barely smell it, which is fantastic!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 2:58:38 PM
Author: geckodani
40.gif
I use a Mr.Clean magic eraser, and spray Mrs. Myers clean day shower cleaner on every morning after I get out. I use the Basil scent, and you can barely smell it, which is fantastic!
So, this is a dumb question, since you say you use it everyday, but do you really feel that the daily shower cleaner helps? I think I need to get something like this ..

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 3:25:25 PM
Author: lilyfoot

Date: 11/12/2009 2:58:38 PM
Author: geckodani
40.gif
So, this is <probably> a dumb question, since you say you use it everyday, but do you really feel that the daily shower cleaner helps? I think I need to get something like this ..
I definitely notice a difference when we run out and I haven't replaced it for a while.

ETA: Here's a link to the stuff I use. It's the least stinky cleaning stuff I've found. (The same is not true for all the scents - I find all of them overpowering except for the basil). http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Meyers-Clean-Day-24-Ounce/dp/B0021YVB4M/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1258058475&sr=8-13

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Kaboom. It melts soap scum away (along with your sinuses.)
And a magic eraser pad.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Scrubbing bubbles, bleach, and lot''s of ELBOW GREASE!!!!

I am fussy about a clean tub- I need to scrub it myself to feel like it''s not all scuzzy and nasty.

Loves2Laugh

Shiny_Rock
Scrubbing Bubbles and Magic Eraser. I love my Magic Eraser, takes the scum off like magic!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info, gecko.

This thread is making me want to go clean my tub
4.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
haaa...i just had this convo w/my dad and i was cursing the grime in the tub....i tried this stuff for bathroooms called CLR and its the best stuff i''ve used...my tub is sparkling and my dh even noticed how clean the tub was

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yep love magic eraser, and i also use CLR once in a while or lime away

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought I was the only person in the world who hates bathtub cleaning. I''d rather clean 3 toilets than one bathtub!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2009 10:55:34 AM
Author: pjean
I always thought I was the only person in the world who hates bathtub cleaning. I''d rather clean 3 toilets than one bathtub!
I''ll trade you.
9.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I use Bar Keeper Friend. It gets the grime and soap scum out and gives my shower a beautiful shine. This is the second bath shower/tub combo and it is acrylic.

For my regular tiled shower and acrylic jacuzzi, I just make sure I wipe it down immediately afterwards and it stays clean. I sometimes use either car wax or gel gloss on the shower tiles (walls only) and it keeps the tile and grout very clean, free of soap scum and calcium deposits

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use my daughter. She is brilliant at scrubbing!

Seriously though, I just use my local supermarkets own brand bathroom spray and elbow grease. :)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I use toothpaste, and a knit plastic dish scrubbie.

Makes the tub nice and shiny , but I do have to scrub a but.

Sometimes I ad baking soda too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results