shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this ring?? Need help? SOS

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so this is my dad's wedding band. It was a gift from his father in law (who was at the time, in the diamond business). So I just want a rough idea of carat weight the diamonds would have and I know it's really tough from a picture but an idea of clarity and color.

My parents are getting some pieces insured and I promised them that I could figure out the color/clarity/carat size of some of the pieces as well as the appraisers. Do the stones seem eye clean to you? I can't seen ANY yellowish tinge to them, despite the fact that they are set in 22k YG.

Any input about the 4 Cs you can give about this ring would be great. My dad only wore this band a couple of times because he says it's too feminine, and has offered it to me several times. Do you guys think it's too feminine? Do you guys think a guy could pull it off?

20140515_151836_1_.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If they're having them insured, won't they need to be apprised anyways? I seriously doubt that anyone is going to have the ability to tell you the color and/or clarity of those diamonds based on one, single image. Even the exact carat weight would be tough, but someone might be able to give you a ball park based on the appearance of the size of the stones in relation to the size of the fingers, etc.
As far as the ring itself, the style is a personal preference, so again, no matter what the opinions offered here would be, the only one that would matter would be the wearer of the ring.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
I guess, you're right about the preference thing, it's just too feminine for me. I tried to upload higher resolution images but PS has a limit of 1 MB. YES, my parents do plan on having it appraised, I just challenged them that I could determine the clarity/color within one grade of the appraisal. Some of the larger pieces will be sent to GIA, some just a local jeweler. I think this ring is worth sending to GIA, because to me the stones look very clean and near if not colorless but I'm no expert.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to tell with the size measure one of the diamonds across and look up a chart by doing an internet search on mms widths of carat weights. It will give you an approx. estimate of the diamonds carat weight. It's pretty difficult to tell from your photo, unless you have another diamond that you know the size of and put them side by side, that might help some of us guess as well.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
psproot12|1400198580|3673791 said:
I guess, you're right about the preference thing, it's just too feminine for me. I tried to upload higher resolution images but PS has a limit of 1 MB. YES, my parents do plan on having it appraised, I just challenged them that I could determine the clarity/color within one grade of the appraisal. Some of the larger pieces will be sent to GIA, some just a local jeweler. I think this ring is worth sending to GIA, because to me the stones look very clean and near if not colorless but I'm no expert.

If you challenged your parents that you could appraise the stones fairly accurately, then doesn't it defeat the whole purpose of throwing it out on an online forum for others to do the work for you? ;-)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
The diamonds look nice from the picture, but color can't be graded in a setting accurately. It can be guessed at, something I do as an amateur jewelry freak...but GIA accuracy...no. It's a cool ring, I like it.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
momhappy|1400203651|3673826 said:
psproot12|1400198580|3673791 said:

If you challenged your parents that you could appraise the stones fairly accurately, then doesn't it defeat the whole purpose of throwing it out on an online forum for others to do the work for you? ;-)

I challenged them knowing I had an online resource of help! :lol: Is it cheating sure, but I've already lost the challenge. There was a loose stone I graded (more like guesstimated) at FVS2 1.5 ct. Turned out it was 1.18 ct E-IF, but that is just a GIA gemologist appraisal. The appraiser said it was nice enough to send to GIA, which I guess is good for my parents but it means I've already lost ;( .

They're staying at my house for a wedding here in Tulsa, and my mom brought a lot of jewelry, it's mostly all traditional Indian/Pakistani style. Most pieces are gemstones with some diamonds, I'm going to post them, hopefully some people are interested in ethnic jewelry.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
psproot12|1400255879|3674198 said:
They're staying at my house for a wedding here in Tulsa, and my mom brought a lot of jewelry, it's mostly all traditional Indian/Pakistani style. Most pieces are gemstones with some diamonds, I'm going to post them, hopefully some people are interested in ethnic jewelry.

Yes, please!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I like the the ring too. The diamonds are definitely eye clean but in that "eye-clean" range it can go from VS2-FL, and I'm just not qualified to to asses that characteristic. I'll leave it up to the experts. All of the pieces my grandfather (mom's side) has given contain stunning diamonds because he was an importer of diamonds so he got them at wholesale prices.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1400256003|3674200 said:
psproot12|1400255879|3674198 said:

Yes, please!

I'm working on it now! It'll be in Show Me The Bling.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
arkieb1|1400198941|3673793 said:
If you want to tell with the size measure one of the diamonds across and look up a chart by doing an internet search on mms widths of carat weights. It will give you an approx. estimate of the diamonds carat weight. It's pretty difficult to tell from your photo, unless you have another diamond that you know the size of and put them side by side, that might help some of us guess as well.

Yeah, I did that. They're 4.1 mm and according to diamond sizing charts online that puts them at around .25 cts, for a total of 1.25 cts. I'll find out for sure after everything is appraised/certified. If you want to see some of my mom's ethnic pieces:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-of-my-moms-indian-pakistani-jewelery.202056/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-of-my-moms-indian-pakistani-jewelery.202056/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results