shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you say part deux

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
When someone asks you "how many carats" do you include the side stones? I just saw someone refer to a 3 stone ring as "3 carats" and in my head I''m going no it''s under two. Both are correct... if someone looks at your ring and asks, "how big is it" do you give the total weight or just the center, or do you launch into a detailed PS answer, "this one is an SI1 G .42, this one is a SI1 H .46", etc? LOL!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have said with a three stone the weight of the centre then the sides separately, not that anyone here in the UK would know the difference much anyway!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just give the weight of my center stone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yesterday a salesgirl commented that my stone "must be at least a carat". I replied, ''well, yes it is".
Unless someone asks me "what" the size is, then, I''ll give the center stone only. Seems like TMI otherwise.

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL sharon that''s hilarious. esp since yours is MASSIVE.

i have people say the same thing to me...''is that a carat?'' and on the flip side i get ''that must be at least 3c''. people really have NO idea.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just the center stone. I don''t talk about the other carat of melee or whatever. Same for a 3 stone, just the center.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never ask in real life, but I think even after looking at all the PS rings, I'm still really bad at guessing carat weight out in public. Now, if I could get to a PS get-together so I could see these rings in person, I'd probably get a little better at it.
19.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I usually say that the centerstone is .50ct. If they ask about the sidestones after that, I say that they''re .13ct each. But people have no idea... I''ve been asked twice if it was a full carat. Heh, I wish!
26.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 11:02:35 AM
Author: Mara
i have people say the same thing to me...''is that a carat?'' and on the flip side i get ''that must be at least 3c''. people really have NO idea.
I totally agree... unless they''re diamond-crazed themselves, I find that most people really don''t know how to estimate carat size other than "well it seems pretty big". And I had no idea either, until I started becoming obsessed myself... I remember thinking my mom had one of the largest rocks I knew of, up until last year when I realized it was actually just around 1ct!

That''s why I think it''s sometimes silly to be too concerned about wearing a large rock in public or around certain family or friends, given that most of the world really seems to have no idea what "large" really means... or costs! I think we can have a tendency to project our own obsessions onto others, sometimes...
2.gif

But when I''m asked, I always just say 1.5ct and don''t bother with the little sidestones... they only add .3 anyway!
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I had a three stone, I would answer "the center stone is three carats and the side stones are a carat each". People usually said, oh, so it''s 5 carats total? Now I have a center stone with tapered baguettes and I am not always comfortable saying the size because I often get people reacting very loudly and calling over a friend or boyfriend and it gets uncomfortable for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Thanks Mara! I have to concur about the size estimation thingie..the gal at the liquor store said to me today that "her GF has a ring exactly like mine....it is a 2 carat Tiffany round".................I just nodded my head in agreement.......
21.gif

cheers--Sharon

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I have never told anyone who asks because I feel it is not their business. But in the year I have had my e-ring, I have had 2 women tell me "oh, that's cute." Cute!!! I'm sorry but I have a good sized ring (2 carat center, 3 tcw) and to call it cute really boils my blood. What do you say to that? My ring seems to attract quite a bit of attention with comments like 'wow, is that real?' or 'what does your husband do for a living?' So these two ladies really caught me off guard.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe they meant cute as in "great." Some people have very limited vocabulary. No way would I call your ring cute! Lovely, yes. Impressive, yes. Cute?
33.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 10:58:19 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Yesterday a salesgirl commented that my stone 'must be at least a carat'. I replied, 'well, yes it is'.
Unless someone asks me 'what' the size is, then, I'll give the center stone only. Seems like TMI otherwise.

cheers--Sharon
Sharon that one had me laughing out loud given the real size of your beautiful ring!!!

I really don't like for people to ask this, but if they do I tell them that I have a one and a quarter carat center stone with half carat sidestones.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 10:42:05 AM
Author:Cehrabehra
When someone asks you ''how many carats'' do you include the side stones? I just saw someone refer to a 3 stone ring as ''3 carats'' and in my head I''m going no it''s under two.

It makes me a little nuts when people do that. I have an old college friend who tells everyone her ring is a carat and a half--but really her center stone is 1/2 carat. It has 1/4 carat side stones and then a bunch of chanel set stuff on the sides that add up to an additional carat. She is constantly telling people, "Why would you just get a carat in the middle when you could get more carats if you just spread it over a bunch of stones?" I usually don''t comment. (But I am sure you could guess what sort of things I would like to say sometimes)

My *NEW* ring has a .9 center stone and then the pave is about .4. So when people ask, I will probably say that the center is about a carat, and the whole ring is about 1 and 1/3 carats total. That will make things simple.

out of curiousity, couldn''t I technically call it a "light" carat? I have heard that term thrown around before.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 4:31:24 PM

HI:

Thanks Mara! I have to concur about the size estimation thingie..the gal at the liquor store said to me today that ''her GF has a ring exactly like mine....it is a 2 carat Tiffany round''.................I just nodded my head in agreement.......
21.gif

cheers--Sharon
Forgive my ignorance, but what is your stone? I have no idea size or shape other than I vaguely recall an avatar with a rectangular stone Lol I need to know just HOW ridiculous these comments are (though I can already tell a round vs a rectangular is pretty bad lol - i guess it just means "big" LOL)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 5:04:15 PM
Author: jazmine
I have never told anyone who asks because I feel it is not their business. But in the year I have had my e-ring, I have had 2 women tell me ''oh, that''s cute.'' Cute!!! I''m sorry but I have a good sized ring (2 carat center, 3 tcw) and to call it cute really boils my blood. What do you say to that? My ring seems to attract quite a bit of attention with comments like ''wow, is that real?'' or ''what does your husband do for a living?'' So these two ladies really caught me off guard.
could be worse!! Isn''t that ring just precious? Or better yet.... isn''t that ring special, bless it''s heart... hahha

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 2:59:11 PM
Author: diamondfan
When I had a three stone, I would answer ''the center stone is three carats and the side stones are a carat each''. People usually said, oh, so it''s 5 carats total? Now I have a center stone with tapered baguettes and I am not always comfortable saying the size because I often get people reacting very loudly and calling over a friend or boyfriend and it gets uncomfortable for me.
I had someone do that over my less than 3 carat so I can only imagine!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 5:34:33 PM
Author: Julian
Maybe they meant cute as in ''great.'' Some people have very limited vocabulary. No way would I call your ring cute! Lovely, yes. Impressive, yes. Cute?
33.gif
to me the word is striking!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 5:52:55 PM
Author: Fancy605

Date: 11/3/2006 10:42:05 AM
Author:Cehrabehra
When someone asks you ''how many carats'' do you include the side stones? I just saw someone refer to a 3 stone ring as ''3 carats'' and in my head I''m going no it''s under two.

It makes me a little nuts when people do that. I have an old college friend who tells everyone her ring is a carat and a half--but really her center stone is 1/2 carat. It has 1/4 carat side stones and then a bunch of chanel set stuff on the sides that add up to an additional carat. She is constantly telling people, ''Why would you just get a carat in the middle when you could get more carats if you just spread it over a bunch of stones?'' I usually don''t comment. (But I am sure you could guess what sort of things I would like to say sometimes)

My *NEW* ring has a .9 center stone and then the pave is about .4. So when people ask, I will probably say that the center is about a carat, and the whole ring is about 1 and 1/3 carats total. That will make things simple.

out of curiousity, couldn''t I technically call it a ''light'' carat? I have heard that term thrown around before.
bahahaha I was thinking a similar thing... that with my center being 2.7 and .6 of melee I could just say "3 carats" and somehow justify the fudge on the center stone with the sacrifice of tcw ROFL!! I hate 2.7 it is just such a weird number... not two and a half or two or three. Though I think calling a .5 carat one and a half is a bit of a stretch!!!!! Never heard "light carat" but sounds fine to me!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jazmine - I think your ring is very unique and classic too. Not cute at all. Cute is for puppies and little boys.

canuk-gal - I''m off to search for a photo of your stone. It''s obviously NOT a 2ct round. LOL

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliments ladies. You just don't expect "cute" when describing anything the costs thousands of hard-earned dollars!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cannot find a photo of Canuk-girl''s ering. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 6:49:45 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 11/3/2006 2:59:11 PM

Author: diamondfan

When I had a three stone, I would answer ''the center stone is three carats and the side stones are a carat each''. People usually said, oh, so it''s 5 carats total? Now I have a center stone with tapered baguettes and I am not always comfortable saying the size because I often get people reacting very loudly and calling over a friend or boyfriend and it gets uncomfortable for me.
I had someone do that over my less than 3 carat so I can only imagine!!!!

I was buying my son some Ray Bans and I had a guy in Sunglass Hut scream, OH MY GOD HOW BIG IS THAT?!!! and of course the entire store looked at me...not fun, when my son and I had to walk to the car in the dark....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prin6.JPG

Stone Hunter: Here it is. 5.01 + 1.12 side traps.

And you are correct, it is not a RB.!
1.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 9:00:56 PM
Author: jazmine
Thanks for the compliments ladies. You just don''t expect ''cute'' when describing anything the costs thousands of hard-earned dollars!

Oh, honey, your ring isn''t cute, it''s FABULOUS! People need to get their adjectives right.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 10:20:26 PM
prin6.JPG

1.gif

23.gif

Wow... uh, wow. *speechless*

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
that
Date: 11/3/2006 10:20:26 PM
prin6.JPG

1.gif
is an AWESOME photo of a beautiful stone!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that''s the best diamond photo I''ve ever seen!! What cut is that? Radiant?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Miss C; you''ve made my day! Thank you for the kind words, and yes it is a radiant (and SO not a Tiffany RB
9.gif
)!!

cheers--Sharon

Fran Fine

Rough_Rock
Um....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my word, that stone is STUNNING, Canuk-gal. Simply magnificent!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results