shape
carat
color
clarity

What Do You NOT Regret Spending Big $$$ On?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Remember the thread a while back, about money regrets? It made me think of this thread, but I never got around to posting it. So . . .

Do you have a non-jewelry item (or at least jewelry that wasn't previously mentioned on PS) that was expensive that you don't regret spending the big bucks on?

I have a thing like that;

We bought an antique French bronze statue of a nymph, which was $200. For us, at the time, that was BIG money. It was the early 1980's, and we were just starting out, and we had just bought our first house. Money was tight.

But we still have it, and I still love the artistry of it. I enjoy it every day. "A thing of beauty is a joy forever". Yup. :bigsmile:

How about you? What are you happy you spent the bucks on?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
An antique Mennonite buffet / hutch in 1982, that was built in 1880. It was the first time I'd bought anything over $1000 on my VISA card. I still love that piece even though my decorating tastes have changed dramatically.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Our bedroom furniture. Best decision EVER. Our bed is so amazingly comfortable, if I could find a way to live my entire life in it, I wouldn't hesitate!!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
The most notable one is my LASIK surgery. It changed my life and at $3,600 was a small price to pay for the freedom I now have. Also, I don't regret my TempurPedic mattress one bit. It was about $2,200 but I love it to death. It's been a god-send for my aching joints.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
+1 for our tempur pedic mattress!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

That has changed our sleep for the better. How could I have forgot that?!?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our house. It's the single *best* investment we've made to date. It's way too big for the two of us + our cat, but sooooo worthwile cuz it's gone up a lot since we bought it.

What I DO regret though (or rather what I kick DH for from time to time :angryfire: ) is us not buying a house in Sentosa. Singaporean PS'ers will understand what I mean! :wink2:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
+2 for a nice mattress!!! It was totally worth it!

The most expensive thing in our house is our custom down-filled sofa, and I love it! It looks really nice and it's super comfy.

They are both things that we use every day, so we could justify the wad of cash we spent on them!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuffy--We recently bought a down-filled sofa. Ours is from Restoration Hardware though, so it's not custom. It did cost big $$$$, and I definitely think it was well spent! It's nine feet of awesome.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1330404178|3136144 said:
Tuffy--We recently bought a down-filled sofa. Ours is from Restoration Hardware though, so it's not custom. It did cost big $$$$, and I definitely think it was well spent! It's nine feet of awesome.

Heavenly, Haven!!! I just love the 'smush and slouch' of down. We sat on at least a hundred couches before we decided on this one. We resisted the down because it was so much more expensive, but nothing else compared to it!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, Tuffy--the down is AMAZING. It's actually a problem, because I never want to get up once I've sat down. :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our mattress set.

This apartment.

My first high end purse.

Our vacation a few weeks ago.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My car. Oh, how I love it! I spend a lot of time on the road, and it's a pleasure to drive it and makes the long car rides bearable.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our home.

Our kids' amazing and unbelievable daycare.

Both cost us about the same each month :rolleyes:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My non-allergenic, latex memory foam pillow--it's not like it was a ton of money, but definitely more expensive than a regular pillow. Worth every single penny!!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Building my first house, it was a great buy but maxed out my budget, I sold it 7 months later for $110,000 profit.

My pup from Buenos Aires, cost me $4,500 - he's priceless to me.

Travel, albeit not a material, it's been a significant expense but the memories and friendships made are well worth it.

Flying rescue dogs all over Canada and the US - could never regret doing this.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
maplefemme|1330409819|3136194 said:
Building my first house, it was a great buy but maxed out my budget, I sold it 7 months later for $110,000 profit.

Travel, albeit not a material, it's been a significant expense but the memories and friendships made are well worth it.

Is your pup the magnificent beast in your avatar??? He is spectacular! What kind is he?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
tuffyluvr|1330410173|3136197 said:

Is your pup the magnificent beast in your avatar??? He is spectacular! What kind is he?

Thanks tuffyluvr! Yes, that's him, he's a Dogo Argentino. I waited many years to get him and he really is my dream come true. He loves every stranger he meets, adores children, mothers kittens, cries to play with strange dogs. It made me sad when owners would cross the street to avoid him, so when he turned 1 I bought him a buddy, my Cane Corso girl. He nearly bust a nut when I bought her home, he was on cloud 9!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks tuffyluvr! Yes, that's him, he's a Dogo Argentino. I waited many years to get him and he really is my dream come true. He loves every stranger he meets, adores children, mothers kittens, cries to play with strange dogs. It made me sad when owners would cross the street to avoid him, so when he turned 1 I bought him a buddy, my Cane Corso girl. He nearly bust a nut when I bought her home, he was on cloud 9!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
maplefemme|1330410865|3136201 said:

He is absolutely gorgeous!!! I am not ready for a new dog *yet*, but we have been looking at dogs. FI really wants a cane corso. If he saw a Dogo Argentino, he would want one, no doubt!!! That is one beautiful dogo!!!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
tuffyluvr|1330412235|3136208 said:
maplefemme|1330410865|3136201 said:

He is absolutely gorgeous!!! I am not ready for a new dog *yet*, but we have been looking at dogs. FI really wants a cane corso. If he saw a Dogo Argentino, he would want one, no doubt!!! That is one beautiful dogo!!!

I'm really sorry for your loss of Tuffy, I'm heartbroken for you *HUG*
If you and your FI want any advice on Corsos (or Dogos!) when you are ready, I'd be more than happy to help with advice on pros and cons of each breed and reputable breeders.

Thanks for your really sweet complements :)

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!!! We will be researching for a while--I will definitely reach out for advice. FI grew up with American Bulldogs and wants our next dog to be from the mastiff family. Before we get a big dog I think I need to be trained to be a strong owner. Tuffy was 7 pounds and ran the house!

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Real estate. We broke even or made money on the first three places, but got smart and realized that location is everything. The last two we've purchased were scary properties in fabulous locations and tore both of them down to build new. Best decisions ever.

We try very hard not to spend big $$$ on things that depreciate. We still buy those things like cars and clothing and travel and furniture, but rarely opt for the high-end, designer or luxury version of any of those things. We go for good quality, but try to find it without the big price tag. We've been able to do that most of the time.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Travel

I've been to Italy, Spain, France, Bali and Turkey in the last couple of years and I'm now officially hooked.

I'm going off to Belgium in April and New York in May (new yorkers I'm gonna need your advice soon!)

I'm never going to save money again, but I won't regret the memories one single bit.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Travel. I've spent more than I've ever bothered to add up and don't regret a penny.

Immigrating. Adding up my visa application fees, fees for medicals/background checks, travel into/out of Australia for the purposes of changing visas, and a brief encounter with an immigration lawyer...um, about $15,000? Life in Perth is worth it. :bigsmile:

That's about it. I'm a bit of a cheapskate in the rest of my life - furniture, cars, clothes, shoes, purses, etc. I get what I need and no more, in order to save for traveling. I do spend a good bit on jewelry, but don't consider any of it an individual "big ticket item."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second everyone who said their house/home. I don't regret any of our home purchases in the least. It was the best way to spend our money hands down. First home I sold for 4x what I paid for it (after living there for 8 and a half years). Our rule of thumb is to buy what we love without thinking about resale and the rest will take care of itself. At the very least we will have a lovely home to live in...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My dogs & cats. Worth every penny of the thousands in vet bills as they age. You can't put a price on love & joy.

My latex foam mattress, yummmmm! First time without back pain in years!

DH's 1963 Maserati, bought as a ruin living under somebody's pear tree in Calif., renovated top to bottom over several years as we could afford it. (It was no curtains in the living room but a Maserati in the garage for 9 yrs!) It's his real mistress & I think it's beautiful too.

--- Laurie

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Our home, it went to sealed bids, we paid over the asking price in the end and we have got a LOT of work still to do to it. But I love it and its in a very sought after location so long term it might be the best buy we ever made.

Oh, and our cat Claude. We probably should have gone to a shelter and got one, but this time around we chose a breed that was known to be calm with children and he has the most beautiful coat I have ever seen. He is completely one of the family.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a few things that I'm happy I splurged on but the one that stands out the most is my car. It's nothing special, an '05 Corolla, but it's my first brand new car that I bought after getting my first "real" teaching job. I'll probably replace it in a couple of years (unless I decide to run it in to the ground), and I'll miss it.

ETA: Oh, and our trip to Ireland! It was the first long vacation my husband (boyfriend at the time) took together, and we learned that we're really good travel buddies.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Travel. Always and forever, travel. I spent massive amounts of money to go to NZ in October for the Rugby World Cup and I honestly think about it every day and am so insanely happy I went.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results