shape
carat
color
clarity

WHAT DO I DO????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, So everyone on here is so supportive that I decided to post my recent stress in hopes of getting some advice and much needed good vibes.

I got a call today for my dream job. I have an interview next week.

AAAKKKKKK!!!
32.gif
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif
32.gif
23.gif

I am totally stressed and I can''t think of anything else except how I am going to land this job. I feel like I am totally underqualified for this job and all the other candidates will blow me out of the water. I don''t think I will be able to sleep until the interview is over.. any advice??

ELL

Rough_Rock
Just get plenty of sleep, eat a good breakfast and BE YOURSELF. I have hired many employees and I must say the MOST qualified person isn''t the one who neccessarily gets the job. I look for a person who is sincere, hard working, ambitious, easy going and comfortable with themselves. Do not try too hard to give the "RIGHT" answer rather the most honest one.

I can always spot a "kiss ass" and they turn me off. You would be surprised how hard it is to find these seemingly basic qualities in a potential employee. I also look at length of time at previous jobs and if the person skipped around a lot I ask them to explain the pattern. I like loyalty.

Dress the part and ask questions!

Good luck and keep us posted!
4.gif

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Ell, thanks for your response.. I know that being myself is really important.. I''m just afraid I will be so nervous and anxious that I will not be able to get my "true self" across. I am definitely NOT a "kiss ass" and hate people who get ahead by doing that. I hope that I don''t come off like that in my interview. Anyways.. I need to get my stuff together... eek!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Try to adopt the attitude that you are the right person for the job instead of feeling underqualified. How you feel about yourself will come through to the interviewer, so be positive and feel good about yourself.

Good luck and good vibes to you!!!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
There must be a reason why they have called you for an interview...my guess is because you are QUALIFIED!!
31.gif
31.gif

Besides, (I am guessing by your name "kalispera") that you are greek, so just bring some spanakopita and they should be happy!!

Iam greek and it would be cool to see others here too!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Yuck... interview-anticipation is never fun. I have one tomorrow for an internship placement, actually...
23.gif

But I loved ELL''s advice... I think it''s most important just to come across as genuine. And if the topic of your qualifications comes up in the interview, you can honestly explain that you feel confident and prepared for this position, but you are not afraid to work as a team and ask questions when you have them. Every job has a learning curve, even to the most experienced, qualified person... it is all about how you''re going to handle that learning curve when you''re faced with it. But if you make it clear that you feel comfortable with the position and excited about learning the new parts, nobody can argue with that.

Good luck!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the interview! I love interviewing...and with each one you do, you just get better and better.

I would highly recommend practicing the interview OUT LOUD in front of the mirror. I know that sounds silly, but it really truly helps. Going through the answers in your head is not enough...you would be surprised how sometimes your mind can blank out even though you have thought of the answers. Speaking the answers will allow you to fine tune and polish it up. Record if you can so you can hear yourself.

I don''t know what specifics they''ll ask since I don''t know what kind of position it is, but there are basics that you can prepare for.

- What do you think you can bring to this position?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- Can you give an example of a what you did in a high pressure situation?
- etc etc.

There are tons of articles on interviewing on the web with ideas of the standard questions. Yes, these questions are cliche, but remember: most people hate interviewing, and many DO ask those typical questions. Practice, practice, practice that interview. Have a friend ask the questions...you will feel kind of stupid, but having the added "pressure" of a person waiting for your answer will help. Also, if you habitually use the words "like" and "you know" in your speech, work hard to not say them...it just sounds really unprofessional an an interview.

Also, this will also seem basic, but please do your homework and think of good questions to ask. If there is more than one interviewer in the room, make eye contact with all of them (one person we were interviewing did not get the job because of this minor thing...it irritated one of the interviewers).

At the end of the interview, feel free to ask if they have any concerns about your candidacy. That way you can address any issues right then and there. And don''t forget to send a thank you.

You''ll do great! They would not have called you if you were not qualified. Being proactive in practicing will help you sleep better in the days ahead. Best of luck to you!
36.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know how experienced you are with interviewing, but if it''s somewhat new to you, try some practice interviews, role-playing type stuff! Have your "interviewer" ask you about things that you think might catch you off guard...the specifics are often not as important as the thoughtful way you''ll respond. Also, if you believe you''re underqualified, ask yourself in what ways. Then have your practive interviewer grill you on them.
9.gif
Good luck! And pat yourself on the back for getting past that critical first step, getting noticed apart from several other applicants!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the advice to be genuine! Deep breaths...Good Luck!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You want this job, see yourself as getting it. Project confidence and tell them why they should hire you. Also do research on the company and insert what you would do in your job to help them. Being yourself is key. The person doing the interview will see through people that aren''t genuine. I did a lot of corporate recruiting back in the day. Good luck, and enjoy yourself. With each interview you learn. Usually you will know in the first 5 minutes if it''s going well. Make sure you have a list of questions to ask the interviewer, they do like talking about their experiences with the company as well. Write a thank you note pronto afterwards.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kali, I don''t know if this is an option for you, but in times like yours, I''ve always called my mom, who is FANTASTIC at giving me pep talks! My DH just tells me "you''ll be fine." LOL! I guess we are kind of your pep talk though.

You''ll do great! Like the above posters have said, just be yourself and make sure you''re well-rested and focused before you go in. Have your outfit planned (appearance is very important as far as being neat, conservative, and well-groomed), and write down some notes pertaining to what questions you think they''ll ask, and also what questions you''d like to ask them. This is one of those times in your life where you want to WOW people without going overboard, and the way to do that is to just be prepared. You can do it!

If you have trouble sleeping, just remember this: (seriously, it helps!) you don''t have to go to sleep, just close your eyes, try to lay still, and rest. That''s it.

You''ll be great!

orangevixen

Shiny_Rock
good luck! i know exactly how you feel. i have an interview for my dream job on monday. everybody''s right... there are many great reasons that you are a candidate for this position. just keep those reasons at the forefront of your mind, and i know you''ll do great
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2006 11:42:17 PM
Author: kaleigh
-- do research on the company and insert what you would do in your job to help them.
-- have a list of questions to ask the interviewer, they do like talking about their experiences -- -- write a thank you note pronto afterwards.
2.gif

First of all: EXCITING! Even getting an interview for "dream jobs" is something to be very proud of!!

2nd ... lots of great advice on here already! Three of Kaleigh''s (quoted above) are some of my fave interview tips. One of my other faves is kinda controversial & depends on the vibe of the interview -- but I try to always "ASK FOR THE JOB". Really express my passion & interest for the company and take that next step ... kinda saying/or directly saying: I want this job.

Monarch''s "you don''t have to sleep-sleep, just rest" deal is SO TRUE too ... I have a hard time going to sleep at all the night before big interviews, big jobs or even trips sometimes. But I usually get enough rest to make it through by applying that technique.

Also the week or day or so before the interview -- I try to remember & re-live times I''ve faced something really hard & done it & surpassed my own expectations ... AND that, in order to grow, you HAVE to do jobs you''re "not already qualified for". Others do it ... GUYS are GREAT at pumping themselves up & believing they''re invincible ... YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2006 1:42:10 AM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 4/27/2006 11:42:17 PM
Author: kaleigh
-- do research on the company and insert what you would do in your job to help them.
-- have a list of questions to ask the interviewer, they do like talking about their experiences -- -- write a thank you note pronto afterwards.
2.gif

First of all: EXCITING! Even getting an interview for ''dream jobs'' is something to be very proud of!!

2nd ... lots of great advice on here already! Three of Kaleigh''s (quoted above) are some of my fave interview tips. One of my other faves is kinda controversial & depends on the vibe of the interview -- but I try to always ''ASK FOR THE JOB''. Really express my passion & interest for the company and take that next step ... kinda saying/or directly saying: I want this job.

Monarch''s ''you don''t have to sleep-sleep, just rest'' deal is SO TRUE too ... I have a hard time going to sleep at all the night before big interviews, big jobs or even trips sometimes. But I usually get enough rest to make it through by applying that technique.

Also the week or day or so before the interview -- I try to remember & re-live times I''ve faced something really hard & done it & surpassed my own expectations ... AND that, in order to grow, you HAVE to do jobs you''re ''not already qualified for''. Others do it ... GUYS are GREAT at pumping themselves up & believing they''re invincible ... YOU CAN DO IT TOO!
Here''s monarch saying: thanks deco! My mom used to tell me that when I was all stressed out about the first day of school and couldn''t sleep. I went to a lot of different elementary and jr. high schools, and almost every year I was apprehensive about meeting new people and if they would accept me. Her solution worked like a charm, and I have used it many other times in my life. If you don''t focus on "I must sleep, must sleep NOW," and just try to close your eyes and rest without feeling like you have to sleep or the next day will be a disaster, it really works. Play music, or white noise, or any kind of sound to take your mind off whatever it is that''s stressing you. Then remember to focus on the fact that even if you don''t get your 8 hours of sleep or whatever you''re used to, it will be ok because you are laying down and physically resting, even if your mind isn''t.
35.gif

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I am trying not to get my hopes up about getting the job, but still being realistic and realizing that I am at least a candidate. I will definitely try to get some rest the night before. I have a lot of prep stuff to do today to get my things together, and I want to get my questions together for the interviewer. I already have my thank you note ready, I just have to fill in the specifics and add details from the interview. Thanks again for all the advice. I''m sure I''ll be back the night before flipping out!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results