shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your tricks and tips for surviving long flights?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a confession. I am not what you would call a world traveler. My kids have gone more places that I have. I have never been to Europe or Hawaii. (yikes, shocking, I know!) I would love too. We have flown mostly in the U.S. We had our kids early thinking we would still be young enough when they were grown. Not sure that was such a good idea now, but here we are. Recently, a few of my close friends have gone on trips that required long plane flights. When I asked them about it, every one said the flights were awful. So, I started doing some research. What I learned: bring lots of stuff to do, pick your seat well, and bring noise canceling head phones, bring and drink water.

Since we have so many well travelled people here, I would love to hear what you have done to survive those 10 plus hour flights without going stark raving crazy. It sounds like a nightmare to me, but if I want to go, I am going have to deal with it. Do you always or ever fly first class? What works for you?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: What are your tricks and tips for surviving long flights

I think I have spent half my life in a plane. With that said I LOVE flying. I always have a few good books to read which to me passes the time very quickly. I could read 15 hours straight (and have!) on a flight. Flying is very relaxing because I can just read or listen to music- totally relax but not worrying about the kids, DH, cooking or work.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

On my last flight to New Zealand I took a Tylenol PM shortly after take off. Slept for 2/3 of the flight :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Earplugs and lots of water.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Read, and now some flights offer paid wireless internet which I would be happy to pay for on a really long flight. I have only been on one really long flight (like 15 hours), and I probably will never choose to do that again. I am on the east coast of the US and will choose closer islands and pass up Hawaii to avoid the long flight.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

Aside from the usual physical books & 'guilty pleasure' magazines, I load my I-pad with some movies and a season or several of some critically acclaimed tv series to binge watch. (I re-watched some of the God Father series on our lastest flight home from Switzerland.) I'm also sort of geeky, so I sometimes match my reading with the trip's purpose.....(I liked reading A Farewell to Arms knowing I'd be going to Lake Maggiore.)
I like a variety of options for long flights, but I have a young daughter, so I also do mad libs, play crazy eights, and act as flight pillow occasionally.
Happy travels!
(And we typically only upgrade for Asia - going to EU we take our chances. But having someone in the family logging a lot of miles really helps with the perks. And my husband flys certain routes so often he knows some of the agents - even I got to know some airport security in Zurich!)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

For long oversea flights, I don't book U.S. based airlines.

If there are only two people travelling, and the seat configuration is 3-4/5-3, I always book the center section with aisle seat. I pee a lot, and I rather climb over my travel buddy than a stranger. I also sleep a lot, and I'd hate to block someone in if they need to pee but don't want to wake me up.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I've flown first a couple of times: worth it on international flights that have an actual separate section with the fancy little cubicles, not so much on local flights where it's basically just the same kind of seating, but with snob appeal.

If you're flying business, coach, or one of those weird in-between categories they've invented to chisel more money out of customers, either ask for an exit row seat, or pay for the extra legroom. When hour 6 rolls around, it's worth it. Also, get up every couple of hours and stretch: you'll get funny looks, and people will ask if you're a dancer or something (which, in my case, given that I look as far from a dancer as is possible is ... funny), but it keeps your muscles from aching and stiffening.

The food will suck. (Unless you're, a) flying British Air, where it's generally a nice curry, or, b) first class with a good airline.) So, bring some low-cal snacks, and just eat the bits you like from what they serve, otherwise you'll find yourself staring at your hand in a kind of horrified fascination as it trundles back and forth between your mouth and a container of absolutely repulsive "salad" that may actually be older than that poor little kid whose ears hurt who just can't. Stop. SCREAMING.

I say this as the mother of a young child who has to fly internationally. First: I'm sorry. Second: bring earplugs and noise-canceling headphones. (Mine has actually behaved pretty well so far, but I'm quaking with fear in preparation for the next trip.)

Layer, layer, layer. Flights are always either too cold or too hot, or, if you're really lucky, oscillate between both. I like pashminas/generic huge warm scarves, because they can do double-duty as blankets when things get really icey.

For the smokers: buy an electronic cigarette. Use it in the bathroom as needed. Otherwise, upon arriving at your location, you will be tempted to enter one of those weird little smokers huts that they seem to have in most of the world, and they are DISGUSTING. I think we should bring school-children on special field-trips to visit them to dissuade them from ever starting.

Baggage claim is a pain in the neck, but it is totally worth it not to have to drag all your worldly possessions behind you for three hours. So, check everything you can, but, a) be aware most airlines have caps on what they'll pay for should they lose your luggage (so try not to keep more than $500 worth of stuff in any given suitcase), and, b) put your absolute essentials in the as-big-as-possible soft bag that will be your carry-on. Seriously. Meds? Make-up? At least one change of undies? Follow the Boy Scout motto and Be Prepared.

Ummm ... that's all I got off the top of my head, but Anna Johnson has some great tips in one of her books - either _Savvy Chic_ or _Three Black Skirts_, and Gin Saunders does too in _Wear More Cashmere_. Will see what they say when next I'm in their vicinity ....

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm a really bad flyer. I panic and its my personal responsibility to keep the tin can tube, up in the air. If I loosen up my grip on the arm rest even for a moment...we could all plummet to earth and it would be my fault---- so I take prescribed drugs to get me thru. Xanax is my drug of choice. A fast acting short term anti anxiety pill that allows me to fly a 5 hour radius from home. For me, that's a long enough flight, but if I were going a longer distance, I'd pop another.

As well as Xanax, I have my noise canceling headphones, sudoku, book, games on iPad....when I can get my hands off the armrest, that is :shock: :-o

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer an aisle seat - I like to get up every hour-and-a-half to every two hours, even if I just walk up and down the aisleways.

If available, I pre-order vegetarian meals and fruit-based meals/snacks

I wear decent but cozy clothes - and once on the plane I slip off my shoes and pull on a pair of clean, thick, comfy socks. I also bring something like an infinity scarf that I can pull up and around my ears if I am sleepy/chilly.

I bring a thick book that I am itching to read. I also bring my headphones with music, and I try to include new recordings along with old favorites.

I drink a lot of water - and no soda, booze, or hot drinks.

I bring a bottle of water and my own snacks (usually two bagels (one pumpernickel, one sesame), dried fruit & roasted nut mix in ziplock bag, some Good N Plenty's or Hot Tamales in a ziplock bag (works like gum for me), an apple, a banana, two dark chocolate bars). I've been on flights where vegetarian entrees (even if pre-requested) were not available, or whatever was offered was inedible by my standards, so bringing my own snacks means I have options.

I take a couple of ibuprofen before the flight, and have a small bottle in my purse in case I want to take more in-flight - helps with the headaches and body aches I can get on longer flights.

I like flying, and I like travelling - and I know along with travel comes weather problems or mechanical difficulties. Travelling to me also means that I will be around plenty of people for a long period of time - so I always bring my patience and my sense of adventure.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

marymm|1368653009|3447631 said:
I prefer an aisle seat - I like to get up every hour-and-a-half to every two hours, even if I just walk up and down the aisleways.

If available, I pre-order vegetarian meals and fruit-based meals/snacks

I wear decent but cozy clothes - and once on the plane I slip off my shoes and pull on a pair of clean, thick, comfy socks. I also bring something like an infinity scarf that I can pull up and around my ears if I am sleepy/chilly.

I bring a thick book that I am itching to read. I also bring my headphones with music, and I try to include new recordings along with old favorites.

I drink a lot of water - and no soda, booze, or hot drinks.

I bring a bottle of water and my own snacks (usually two bagel (one pumpernickel, one sesame), dried fruit & roasted nut mix in ziplock bag, some Good N Plenty's or Hot Tamales in a ziplock bag (works like gum for me), an apple, a banana, two dark chocolate bars)

I take a couple of ibuprofen before the flight, and have a small bottle in my purse in case I want to take more in-flight - helps with the headaches and body aches I can get on longer flights.

I like flying, and I like travelling - and I know along with travel comes weather problems or mechanical difficulties. Travelling to me also means that I will be around plenty of people for a long period of time - so I always bring my patience and my sense of adventure.

What a lovely way of putting it!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

small dose of Xanax and good headphones. A sweatshirt with a hood is a must. I put it over my face and snooooooze away! :bigsmile:

I actually like flying so if I do choose to stay up, I usually just pick something thats on the TV and I make sure to bring a few good books with me. Some of the planes have internet, so I pay for it and surf the web.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I knew there would be tons of people with travel wisdom here!!! Thank you all. DH and I have talked about buying the middle seat for really long flights if it was too costly to upgrade to 1st class.

Sarahbear: I could read that long too! I have so many books on my kindles (many) now that I have a hard time picking one out! I do get distracted by the claustrophobia of being stuck in a tin can a little bit though.

Diamondseeker: that 15 hour flight is the one that scares me. I think it is only a five or six hour flight from CA to Hawaii so I would be ok with that. We really want to go to Israel, and New Zealand and France and England. Long flights all. I am preparing a game plan.

AMC80: is tylenol pm as good as benedryl?

Harpertoo: My gosh you sound like a world traveler! I am envious!

Forekitty: that is a good tip! What do you think the other airlines do better than US based airlines? I have enjoyed flights that have a 2 seat configuration as well. One time I went to Branson, MO with some girlfriends and I sat next to a man in a two seater, while two of my girlfriends sat in front of me. I swore the old guy died. No kidding. All of a sudden his head keeled over and I couldn't see him breathing! I was having a panic attack while my girlfriends were laughing in front of me! I didn't want to say anything. It was only an hour and a half flight, but it was the longest of my ever loving life!!!

Circe: Here is another question. What kind of bag do you take? Do you take a big purse or a huge tote bag that a smaller purse can fit into?
I love Mims Maine bags and Natasha makes one that fits a 17 laptop I was thinking of ordering, but I am also considering a Land's End Navy zip top canvas bag. Leather is heavier but I love it. The tote bag goes up to size ginormous so that is good. Is that too much to tuck under a seat?

Enerchi: you just crack me up. I hate it when people hog both arm rests or the window shade without asking. I want to avoid that if I can because rude people can really affect how I view the whole trip and that really really bugs me. I try to be considerate of others but it doesn't always go both ways. Then I'm mad.

marymm: I love your attitude and I love a sense of adventure. It is good to have that even when you aren't going somewhere.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never taken a Xanax, does it just relax you or put you to sleep?

Big tote or big purse?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Depends on the person. And it depends on how many milligrams you take.

I know how many milligrams will put me out and how many will make me just relax.

ETA: half a tab knocks me right out for looooooong while.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I can't recall what my dose is but I know my GP said it was a higher dose because of the intensity of my anxiety. If I'm totally stressed out of my head, I take a full xanax. If I'm feeling less stressed, I'll just use a half tab. And --- on my recent trip to NYC and then Chicago --- I actually got to NYC with no meds, 1/2 pill to get to Chicago (because we were flying into high winds) and then nothing back home from Chicago! HUGE success for me!

But as for the medication, in general, it just makes me feel calm and not anxious and allows me to release the death grip on the armrest--- so I can share it!! LOL! It does NOT make me groggy/dopey/disoriented or feel 'drugged' - its just a calm feeling.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1368655085|3447654 said:

I've taken it, and it just relaxed me. It's really a wonderful little drug.

I prefer Tylenol PM to Benedryl because Benedryl always makes me super groggy when I wake up.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Keep in mind that I haven't flown U.S. based airlines overseas in a very long time, so I'm not sure if they're still like this. Cramped seats, not a very good selection of movies, terrible food, and the service is just so... not friendly. I usually keep to myself and show up prepared with snacks. But if I wanted a soda in the middle of a 10 hour flight, I practically have to beg to get a small cup, and I always feel like I'm interrupting their conversations when I approach them. Non-U.S. based flight attendants will walk around and ask people if they need anything, which is something I've never seen a U.S. based airline flight attendant do outside of cart service time.

Now this is for oversea flights only. I've had good experiences with domestic flights.

Since London is one of your desired vacation spots and you're in CA, I'd look into Air New Zealand. They have a nonstop flight from LA to London, and there is so much leg room in coach. Their flight attendants are very friendly. I've never been offered so much wine and juice in a 10 hour period!

If there is an option for a 2 seater section, I always book those!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Valium or Xanax.

For our honeymoon we flew from Chicago to Oahu and I slept almost the whole flight. It was a dream, but the plane was also big and cushy. Our flight back was hellaciously awful and no amount of booze or drugs could have calmed me, in part due to the douchebag in front of us the entire flight.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

I'm a fairly frequent flyer, I fly every few months but I still hate it. Mega ton tin coffin hurtling through the air. Who needs that eh? But I love to travel to new places so......

I never fly first class as we could never afford given how much we travel, business is nice but I'm 5'1 and an economy seat is actually pretty roomy for me. We save our money for first class hotels.

You've had all the advice so i will summarise my routine:

I choose my seats online, as soon as they are released. I take a window seat if it's a night flight (so I don't get woken up). I avoid the aisle seat so I don't get hit on the elbows by the trolley. There are websites where you can check the plane layout.

I pack a small cabin suitcase, checking to make sure it complies with the airlines length and width restrictions. All medicine, extra glasses, documents, a change of clothes and underwear, toothbrush and valuables go in there. I've lost luggage before. I always carry prescriptions eg I took codeine to Dubai and I made sure there weren't going to throw me in jail!

I also carry a cross body bag with passport, phone, wallet, sunglasses etc. I carry moisturiser and thermal water like Avene as the plane is very drying. I also take a comb which I always used to forget and then come off the plane looking like a scarecrow. Breath mints refresh me so I always carry those too.

I take my iPad with games, movies and books. A lot of airlines do have many channels now so you can find something usually.

All liquids go into TSA compliant clear bottles, I bring my own plastic bag. Remember lipstick, creams, Vaseline count as liquids. This is not always enforced but I've seen it enforced on occasion.

I check in early, as I always plan duty free shopping for makeup and skincare. A little retail therapy cheers me up :))

Always wear layers. I don't like to travel looking like I'm a homeless person so no sweats, pyjamas. I wear tank tops, long tees, a cashmere wrap and comfortable trousers. Tight jeans I can't wear for long hours of sitting down.

Shoes that slip off, no belt. Makes it quicker to get through security. Always wear socks as it can get cold on the plane. I bring a sleep mask and earplugs and noise cancelling headphones that fold up. I bring an adapter that lets me use my own headphones with the seat TV. Also, an inflatable travel pillow and snacks. I don't bring a lot, as I you can get snacks on the plane by asking nicely (like nuts, buscuits, ice cream, fruit etc)

I don't bother with water, as it will get dumped at security or I just forget to buy it after. There is plenty to drink on the plane. British airways has hideous food. Emirates and Singapore are much better. If you pre-order a special meal, you'll get it first. Asian vegetarian is my preferred choice.

I carry some medical equipment as we do respond to requests for doctor assistance. Last time we were turned away as we didn't have our licenses on us (er, why would we be carrying them on holiday? Anyway, there were other doctors who assisted instead). Don't bother unless you're medically trained :cheeky:

Use the Do not disturb sign when you're sleeping or you'll get woken for meals. Ask for two cans of drinks when they come around as they're tiny and attendants take forever to respond sometimes. Walk around every 2 hours to prevent thrombosis. Please pay attention to the safety instructions and exits (I've had one emergency landing due to engine failure so far).

Have a safe flight!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1368655085|3447654 said:

Big tote or big purse?

If you get a small amount of pills from your dr., you can break them in half. Since you've never taken it, if you took a full 1 mg, you might just completely fall alseep. I do take anti-anxiety meds on flights, but I'd hesitate to take too much in case there is an emergency landing or something. I've never been on a super long flight though...longest was Seattle to Florida or Seattle to Mexico - I forget which too longer, but either way, just .25 mg calms me down enough and I bring LOTS of water for flights and I do also order a drink for enjoyment purposes. A long flight, I would for sure bring an easy-to-read book that I could concentrate on even if there are distractions around. Since I have a 12 & 10 year old, sometimes I even read one of their books (lol) because it's easy reading. Plus, lots of magazines.

I have kind of become a fan of backpacks, lately, because I don't have to worry about them getting scuffed up and I can put it in the washer. On our next flight, I'm just packing a backpack...but it's only a two night flight. I will put my purse inside the backpack so I can shove everything under the seat while I read.

Oh, and I always make sure to have my own snacks just in case b/c I get grouchy when hungry. Easy stuff like Clif bars.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

IN addition to the good advice already provided about noise reduction, good airlines, and comfy clothing, I never travel long distances without a toothbrush and toothpaste.

cheers--Sharon

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock

What's gotten me through numerous 16-18hr flights back home:

Dress super comfortably. I always wear yoga pants and a giant shirt a la sleepover style. I get odd looks but hey, I'm comfy.
Ambien or a double dose of benedryl.
The eye cover thing (I can't think of the name) and ear plugs.
Lots of hard candy that I can't chew through.
Crest has these mini toothbrush looking things that can be used without water. I go thru the entire 4 pack in a flight.
Lotttts of water.

And I totally agree with everyone- get up and stretch every few hours. Your body will thank you for it later!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

I sound like my nana but these tips really help:)

1. COMPRESSION SOCKS (I had never hear of or worn these until two years ago when in less than a week I flew NYC-Berlin-Moscow-Frankfurt-Addis Ababa). I have flown a lot but never that far, that much, in such a short time period. I now wear them every time I fly, even if it's a short domestic flight.

2. A good book/music, etc.

3. Comfy clothes in layers (my fave is yoga pants, thin long sleeved tshirt, zipper hoodie)

4. Slip off shoes

5. Lots of water, some hearty snacks (granola bars, dried fruit, cheese, etc.), chapstick, moisturizer, gum, baby wipes, hair elastic

6. Neck pillow

7. I always travel carry-on if at all possible (I think I've checked a bag once in the last 10 years and that was humanitarian donations when we traveled for our son's adoption). If I do need to check a bag(or if DH does, b/c he checks bags more often) I ALWAYS make sure to have everything I need for the next 3 days in my carry-on

I like to sit by the window so I can sleep and don't have to get up for anyone, and I try to get up and stretch/walk every few hours.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

I haven't read all of the posts, so I'll just say this - wine and Xanax.

4ever

Ideal_Rock

Only drink water - no acohol on long flights. I alway buy a big bottle of water once I've passed through customs to drink on the flight and ask the flight attendants to refill it for me rather than drinking hundreds of those tiny cups of water and driving the flight attendants insain.

I also try and bring lots of different things to read because you never know till youre there if you'll want to read a book or if you can only cope with a fluffy magazine.

I wear a big scarf that I can use as a shawl or blanket if I get cold during the flight.

A tiny spray bottle of water and pot of moisturiser so my face doesn't feel all dry and terrible and make me feel sleepy.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm a last minute flyer. I don't exactly love flights, but they really aren't that horrible. I don't usually get much choice for seats because I book so late, and I can't remember when I last packed before midnight when my plane was leaving the following day. I usually end up at the back of the plane, but always with an aisle seat.

Pack lightly. There's only so much space under the seat in front of you and in the overhead bins. And if you don't get to the bin first then your stuff isn't right above you. I pack a medium sized tote which holds: wallet, passport, kindle with plenty to read, a notebook for writing, pen, earphones, eye mask, ear plugs, ipod or similar, phone, laptop if I'm carrying it, jewellery pouch, and small bath bag with a toothbrush, toothpaste, facewash, chapstick, and mascara. The kindle and the large selection of films now available give me plenty to do. On my ipod I have a lovely CD I can easily fall asleep to and it blocks out the air plane noise.

Order a veggie meal. I'm veggie so am biased, but they always get feed first which means they finish first so plenty of time to beat everyone else to the toilet - especially in the mornings! I wash my face, brush my teeth, and put on mascara before the flight is over. It makes me feel better and I think look better - or at least less bleary eyed before hitting immigration.

Layer. Comfortable trousers with socks and shoes and at least 3 tops - tank top, long sleeve top, hoodie. I don't wear a coat or gloves, etc, no matter the weather. Those into checked luggage at the last second. The hoodie or sweater doubles as a pillow or blanket.

Alcohol is free but don't drink it! It's so tempting to have a wine with dinner and then the coffee they offer with breakfast, but don't do it. It messes up my system and I end up having trouble sleeping or staying awake and I get over tired and cranky. Just drink water. The flight attendants pass regularly in the night with water so there's no problem getting it.

Snacks but make sure that you either finish all of them before you arrive to destination or that they are allowed into the country you're visiting. You can't bring fruit, fresh or dried, into Australia, and doing so may result in a fine. Some countries are very strict so don't over pack and be willing to leave whatever you haven't finished on the plane (my mother gets upset because she doesn't want to waste it, but better to waste than be grilled by customs and immigration!)

Bring a ton of patience. You're in a situation that you have no control over. You might get a crap meal, there be no good films, sitting next to a person who is half in your seat, and in front of a kid screaming. It doesn't help to get annoyed. The flight attendants can't change the meal or the films, the person next to you can't lose weight, and the parent is probably embarrassed, over tired and very frustrated with their child. Just shove your head in a book or sleep and let the world pass you by.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don't fly too often but several of my flights have been long. It's not fun. I always get an aisle seat whenever possible so I can get out easily to walk up and down the aisle if needed. I bring magazines and books, small snacks, a word search or sudoku book, and a bottle of water. Basically, I try to distract myself as much as possible.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

I've had to fly from a neighbor island to Honolulu to Los Angeles to St. Louis to Tampa. And back. More than once. That's about 22 hours in the air round trip. My advice is don't do it if you don't have to- it's not exactly my idea of fun.

I don't know. I just trust the pilots, trust in God, and bring an iPod. And I'm very glad when it's over. I actually have "flying dreams" where I'm flying in an airplane looking out the window. Seriously, if I never have to do it again it will be too soon.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

All really good advice. Personally I find flying a necessary evil, so patience, water & ear plugs. When I lived in NZ I had to make trips back to the UK a staggering TEN times. I've tried every airline & every route & it really doesn't make a huge difference to me. I am also a lover of the Caribbean, so now back in the UK & I am still flying long haul in between European breaks.

A huge benefit to me is a mild sleeping tablet. I always stay awake on boarding until it is night time at my destination, then I knock myself out. It really helps to prevent jet lag as I am rested & in their zone upon landing :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results