shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your tricks and tips for surviving long flights?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Re: What are your tricks and tips for surviving long flights

I forgot to add: my smoothest flights have all been on the Airbus 380-800. A monster of a plane which handles turbulence very well. Try and get on one if you can!

Nowadays I prefer to sail instead of fly. It's much more relaxing.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

I would preface with no matter how long your flight is, it will end and you will survive. Sometimes I find when doing something new i look up info on it and over think it and it becomes this huge issue but then in reality it's like seriously that's all? And isn't as big a deal as you thought

I basically watch one movie after another until we land. I stopped flying emirates cos I HATE Dubai airport but the movies are great. Recently flew virgin and was reasonably impressed with the food in cattle class

Take as little as possible! You only get a little space and your going to want to use it. I have a favorite cardigan that I can snuggle under like a blanket and socks for cold toes, small amounts of migraine and hay fever medication just in case (take a letter from ur gp saying what meds you need to take when traveling overseas as some can be illegal and get you in trouble). And something to snack on and that's it. U can take a normal sized hand luggage to put in the overhead but I wouldn't personally put anything in there I might want during the flight. Most flights will give you as much water as you want and can have a little refill tap near the toilets. Nowadays you need to throw out liquids over... 100ml? (I forget exact) as you enter the passengers only part of the airport.

If you're a reader a kindle can take up less space than books.

And don't take any meds on a flight if you haven't had them before! Try them out first, in the air is not a good time to experiment w drugs

Aisle seats are great if you want the freedom to pee and walk around, window seats are good for sleeping as you can lean against the wall. Middle seats are good for nothing :razz:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks everyone for the replies. There is a lot of very useful information here. It won't be wasted on me, I will use every single bit of it.

4 ever: Pashmina is on my list! I saw some great colors at Travel Smith and Nordstrom. I need to compare the sizes. I am not much of a drinker (although I really love a good margarita) so drinking on the plane won't be a problem. I have seen quite a few people that have drank a bit too much to relieve anxiety and they made everyone around them pretty miserable.

Rhea: thanks for the veggie meal tip. A couple people have mentioned that as well. I will give that a try. Is whatever they serve you pretty healthy? It is for sure worth a try in any case.

Imdanny: Just wanted to say it's good to hear from you. I hope everything is going better for you. I don't think I would be able to live on an island just because I would have to take flights to get off. I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to do it.

Alex T: That is a lot of long distance flights. I hope I don't do quite that many or at least not as often.

Rosetta: Thanks for the plane info. I will be on the look out for the Airbus 380-800. Great tip.

hippi pixi: your right, it will end. As with most things the anticipation is probably worse, but maybe not! I am pretty good at traveling light while in the states but I think it will be harder overseas. I have thousands of books on kindle and it goes everywhere with me, so I am set on that front. I will definitely not take any meds for the first time on a plane. You are so right about it not being a good place to try it. Plus, I am allergic to a few drugs and I wouldn't want to take any chances. I always carry an epi pen with me as well. Thanks for the tips.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found this pin on Pinterest this morning~ I am definitely going to do this. I just have to find the right bag pattern. Here is the pic. It is from Pattern Pile. It is a tutorial on how to make a travel smart pocket for your next bag-by Nancy Zieman

432e35e59c0ec15c56f42b0fe7a2bd53.jpg

alice87

Shiny_Rock

My trips home include 4 airplane change. It is pretty awful, and it takes up to 37 hours to arrive to final destination. I dress in jeans and the most comfortable cardigan i have at the moment. I have pillows, and buy candy to help with landing. Great book. You can't really have water with you because of TSA rules. Picking wisely the place to eat and drink is another thing. I was traveling through Frankfurt. There is a lot of shops there, and lounge, and great German food, their bread, coffee, pastry and salads are amazing!

alice87

Shiny_Rock

Another thing, if you can afford first or business class, it will solve almost every misery during the flight you can have in economy class.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

alice87|1368808910|3449075 said:
Another thing, if you can afford first or business class, it will solve almost every misery during the flight you can have in economy class.

Wish I can afford business class for a family of 4 going on a trans-atlantic flight. It would cost us at least $40K USD.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seriously Chrono, that should go in the sticker shock thread. The price difference is pretty astounding. I think is is much cheaper to buy the middle seat in economy class.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle|1368804380|3449023 said:
I found this pin on Pinterest this morning~ I am definitely going to do this. I just have to find the right bag pattern. Here is the pic. It is from Pattern Pile. It is a tutorial on how to make a travel smart pocket for your next bag-by Nancy Zieman
If you can't or don't sew, here's a similar option to that:
http://www.loandsons.com/

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

My tip for long haul flights? Don't think of it as something that needs surviving. Awful scenarios certainly happen (the classic stinky passenger or screaming baby), but mostly it's just a bit boring and confining, and can even be a great opportunity to catch up on some reading! Barring an actual diagnosed anxiety, I'd not recommend drugging yourself.
If you are flying on your way to a great destination, just remember how incredibly fortunate you are to be going on a faraway holiday.
You've received great tips already, so I'll just add one thing. Bring your own entertainment. The on board movies, TV, and internet are usually good, but malfunctions happen.
OK, two things. Connections suck, fly direct as much as possible.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock

Bring a book or movie that you really really want to read/see (oh and make sure you dont read it before the flight :oops: ). That way you are actually looking forward to the flight. Honestly if you get on that plan thinking about it negatively that you are going to have a bad time.

Bring warm fuzzy socks, keeps your feet warm and the nice fuzzy feeling makes you happy (or I might just be a weirdo, just dont tell anyone ;-) ). I second the bring earplugs, pashmina, something to cover your eyes, and one of those inflatable pillow thingies if you like them.

Very important, don't forget toothbrush and toothpaste (pref also a small waterbottle). It really helps to feel fresh.

Eyedrops are also good. The dry air plus bad sleep is not a good combo and gritty eyes are really annoying.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1368810309|3449092 said:
alice87|1368808910|3449075 said:

Wish I can afford business class for a family of 4 going on a trans-atlantic flight. It would cost us at least $40K USD.

HI:

Yup. As a family, we LOOK at those fares and quickly LOOK away. For travel, we choose 8 or 9 hours of, well...., for a month of gorgeous accomodation and eating. And treats! :bigsmile: Something has got to give! ;)) I'll pack my own toothbrush and get a Cartier ring in Paris! :saint:

cheers--Sharon

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1368820519|3449191 said:
luv2sparkle|1368804380|3449023 said:
If you can't or don't sew, here's a similar option to that:
http://www.loandsons.com/

Ame, you are my stylish go-to girl for great handbags! You directed me to my beautiful Linea Pelle as well. I will definitely keep that one in mind. I do sew, and since I spent 11K on a sewing machine I am sure my DH would love me to make use of it. :wink2:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really really appreciate all the replies to this thread. I will read it over and over when it gets closer to a trip. There is some true wisdom on this board!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

I hate travelling which is pretty funny when you think I worked in the travel industry for ten years. I take chocolate, water, earplugs and mask. And eucalyptus oil and tissues. You just would not believe how much people smell when flying. They fall asleep and start farting, their mouths hang open and their smelly sleep-breath is blown all over you, or their feet or armpits smell. The only solution is to shake drops of eucalyptus oil onto a tissue and hold it to your face.

I absolutely detest flying. I should have been born in a gentler age, when travel took forever and consisted mainly of steamers and the Orient Express.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Smith1942|1368932758|3449817 said:
I absolutely detest flying. I should have been born in a gentler age, when travel took forever and consisted mainly of steamers and the Orient Express.

Haha, I expect people to smell even worse back then. They didn't bathe as often, remember? Not only would they have smelled worse, you would have been stuck with them longer. ;))

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is funny Smith1942! Luckily for me, due to zinc nose spray use for colds, I have very little sense of smell. Sometimes it bothers me, but with a house full of boys, I have often found it very advantageous! I think this might be another instance it works in my favor!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's a great tip for surviving long flights.

screen_shot_2013-05-19_at_12.png

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh if that were only possible, Kenny.....

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like Smith I'm sensitive to smells. I take a strong smelling Chapstick or lotion. Take some immodium or pepto tablets for the ride back when you may have an upset stomach due to different foods/water. Many have suggested slippers, your feet will swell during the trip so try lace ups or shoes that are slightly large so you can get them back on. I take a ziplock so I can put the items I will use most in it (tissues, lotion, gum, etc) and put it in the seatback. I hate constantly digging a purse out of a carryon. Happy travels.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results