shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your phobias?

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Anybody have a strange or irrational phobia? I'm deathly afraid of my hair falling out (including eyebrows). What are you afraid of?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I have an irrational {at least I HOPE it's irrational} fear of someone throwing me in the trunk of a car and killing me. Seriously. I do.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1335022124|3177138 said:
I have an irrational {at least I HOPE it's irrational} fear of someone throwing me in the trunk of a car and killing me. Seriously. I do.

My college roommate (and good friend) had the same fear. She can't even watch crime shows because she's terrified of being kidnapped, tortured, and killed.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My phobia is having to have a tooth pulled and having a gaping hole! The dentist took 18 xrays to reassure me all is okay.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an irrational fear of being under a ship/boat.
I used to scuba dive and was horrified to see propellers from below.
It felt like looking into the barrel of a loaded gun.
Image what propellers could do to a body. :shock:

One thing that REALLY freaks me out are those bulbous bows at the front of large ships.
(Freud would have a field day with this one.) :lol:

Imagine swimming and seeing a huge cargo ship with a bulbous bow coming straight at you?

Actually I was quite fascinated to learn about their function; they can reduce fuel consumption as much as 15%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow

Bulbous Bow.JPG

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I fainted in a store a few years back and i'm now anxious when I go out alone in case it happens again. I know why I fainted, I hadn't been eating for a few days so its something I can control....but it still scares me. I am fine if I go out with my husband or friends, but if I go alone I get really fearful.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moths.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not strange, but heights. I get paralyzed in place if I am too high. It has to be an open area. Or a glass floor. Buildings with sky decks, rollercoasters, ladders, roofs....

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Snakes have to be my #1. We have a lot of rocks on our property and they love them. I know they are garter snakes, but you have to work pretty hard to convince me they are not boa constrictors or cobra's, crawling thru my gardens and grass, about to lunge at me and devour me at any second!! (irrational thoughts? why ... YES!!!)

Flying is also pretty high up there, but I now take Xanax when I fly and the "I'm trapped in a tin paper tube, rushing thru the sky at a million miles an hour, 35,000 above the crust of the earth about to plummet to my death" feelings (yeah, that's all one continuous thought! :D ) have vastly decreased by taking the Xanax. I actually look forward to travelling now! Wait, let me rephrase that, I look forward to BEING places, not so much the 'getting there' but I can handle it better :))

and probably the stupidest one, is getting something out of a chest freezer. Even opening our fridge freezer can freak me out. I'm terrified of being trapped in it (well, not the fridge one - DUH! - but a chest freezer) Must be too many CSI / police / FBI type TV shows!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Dogs - especially small yappy 'rats on leads' type. They terrify me.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1335029409|3177211 said:
Dogs - especially small yappy 'rats on leads' type. They terrify me.

Have you been bitten before?

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for mottephobia. I even freak out over the word it represents. My hands are sweating and my pulse is racing thinking about them. They will fly in your ear and eat your brain, I SWEAR.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kefira|1335032236|3177236 said:
Another vote for mottephobia. I even freak out over the word it represents. My hands are sweating and my pulse is racing thinking about them. They will fly in your ear and eat your brain, I SWEAR.

Ok, so i'm the most sympathetic and supportive person I know....but this made me laugh out loud. :lol: Do you really think that or were you kidding? If you really think that it must be awful. My son has the same phobia. He thinks they will fly into his mouth. He really freaks out if there is one in the house.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
I have reoccurring dreams that all my teeth will fall out. My not so weird ones are heights, spiders and sharks. Though sometimes I'm convinced there might be sharks in the deep end of the pool. Crazy, I know!

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Maisie|1335033324|3177249 said:
Ok, so i'm the most sympathetic and supportive person I know....but this made me laugh out loud. :lol: Do you really think that or were you kidding? If you really think that it must be awful. My son has the same phobia. He thinks they will fly into his mouth. He really freaks out if there is one in the house.

Ha! I know, it's ridiculous! At least, when there are none of those little flying zombies around, I know it's silly. But I completely lose it when one flies near me, and what's a phobia without a little irrationality? :bigsmile: The worst thing is, I start screaming and ducking for cover, and my poor husband has to come running to save me, even if he's asleep at the time. I'm usually the one who saves him from bugs, but he's on duty when one of those things shows up. Don't worry, though, all our creepy crawlies get a second chance to live or die outside.

And I completely understand how your son feels! They seriously seems to be drawn to heads.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kefira|1335034999|3177271 said:
Maisie|1335033324|3177249 said:

Ha! I know, it's ridiculous! At least, when there are none of those little flying zombies around, I know it's silly. But I completely lose it when one flies near me, and what's a phobia without a little irrationality? :bigsmile: The worst thing is, I start screaming and ducking for cover, and my poor husband has to come running to save me, even if he's asleep at the time. I'm usually the one who saves him from bugs, but he's on duty when one of those things shows up. Don't worry, though, all our creepy crawlies get a second chance to live or die outside.

And I completely understand how your son feels! They seriously seems to be drawn to heads.

Awww no! Not ridiculous! I just laughed at the way you said it. I apologise. All phobias should be taken seriously by the people around us.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bees and wasps. They always look so angry and I'm terrified of them. Also, tarantulas, which is funny, because they're not found where I live.

Oh, and things catching on fire. I hate baseboard heaters because I'm scared that anything remotely near them will catch fire. When I was little, I used to tell my parents to make a lot of noise after putting me to bed so I would know they hadn't been eaten by fire. Yeah, a little strange. :bigsmile:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an irrational fear of being wrongly accused of a terrible crime.

That, and of losing my teeth or having them crumble to pieces. I have nightmares about the teeth thing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1335049211|3177429 said:

Oh, how weird.
Now that you mention it, I share that anxiety.

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Whew! I'm not the only one that's scared of losing teeth :cheeky:
birds, heights, bugs are the normal fears, I guess ...

I like watching scary movies and shows (like Walking Dead) but i absolutely can't watch them in the dark because i think zombies will come out and eat my brains or haunt me for like a week after.

I'm scared of places that look creepy or haunted. DH laughs at the thought of haunted houses and ghosts - he said the only way a ghost will scare him is if that ghost says that he'll be bankrupt :lol: good thing he doesn't know about this forum because it's giving me way too many ideas of things that I didn't know I needed to spend money on! :bigsmile: this site would definitely scare that bejeebus out of him :twisted:

I refuse to live on an acreage because I think some psycho will come out from nowhere, attack/ axe murder me :confused:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too on moths. They majorly freak me out and sadly they will be coming to a neighborhood near you soon.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1335028597|3177199 said:
Not strange, but heights. I get paralyzed in place if I am too high. It has to be an open area. Or a glass floor. Buildings with sky decks, rollercoasters, ladders, roofs....
me too... ::)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
This is not a phobia per se, but I absolutely positively cannot stand to touch my collar bone. Just thinking about it makes me shiver.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharks. My mom let me watch Jaws when it came out. Seriously; what mother let's her 4 year old watch Jaws?!? :rolleyes:

To this day, I can convince myself there are sharks in ANY body of water... Including a swimming pool...

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Falling through grates or manholes. Though it's such a serious phobia that I don't find it irrational, despite others telling me it is. One part is the fear of public falling humiliation, the other is bodily harm. Can you imagine having to get tetanus treatment for falling in a dirty city grate?! :errrr:

The first time I saw "Along Came Polly" I felt so relieved that there are other people with the same fear. I will actually walk into the road to avoid a sidewalk-covering grate.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

That, and of losing my teeth or having them crumble to pieces. I have nightmares about the teeth thing.

I've heard that dreams of teeth falling out is really common...I can't figure out why I don't have that type of dream since I am freaked about the idea of loosing a tooth. About a month ago, I had my first dream...that was after going into the dentist and making sure all my teeth are healthy.

I also have a phobia of dogs, but it's subsided quite a bit over the years. I use to have dreams of being chased by them! And, also of bears.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spiders!

Not actually the spiders, but the webs - especially new webs that are totally invisible unless you happen to look at *just* the right angle :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

I am hypersensitive to cobwebs. I plan my life around avoiding them. I inspect grass before I walk on it barefoot, I don't walk into suspect places without clearing the path with a broom first, my darling MIL apparently dusted the houseplants and vegetable garden before we came to visit ::)

I've heard that hypnotherapy can really help some people. I have no faith or belief in that sort of thing so I guess I've doomed myself from the start, but I'm tempted to try it anyway - it'd be really incredible not to have Avoid Spiderwebs at the forefront of my mind at all times.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1335050233|3177437 said:
Oh, how weird.
Now that you mention it, I share that anxiety.
I didn't realize I had this fear until I watched part of that movie where Claire Danes is thrown in prison in Thailand (?) for having drugs that some random dude stashed in her bag. I couldn't finish watching it, but then I became obsessed with reading about real-life situations where people were wrongfully convicted of crimes. *shudder* I have no idea why I do it to myself. Just thinking about this right now makes me shaky.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1335054065|3177476 said:
This is not a phobia per se, but I absolutely positively cannot stand to touch my collar bone. Just thinking about it makes me shiver.
That is the most interesting fear/aversion I've ever heard!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1335061429|3177540 said:
sonnyjane|1335054065|3177476 said:
That is the most interesting fear/aversion I've ever heard!

It's just the bones... I hate touching my bones! When shaving, I have a hard time going over my ankle bone, and I don't like taking my pulse on my wrist because my fingers have to touch the bones and tendons. The wrist and ankle I can usually overcome with a little pep talk, but I can't get near that collar bone lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results