What are your favorite makeup items?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a complete hodge-podge....

Estee Lauder Under eye cover up
Bare Minerals Powder
Laura Mercier blush & Lips
Laura Mercier Eye Shawdow very natural color.. can't really tell it's there it's just to cover up darkness
Lancombe Mascara...

Fragrances:

Chanel #5 Daytime
Creed "Love in Black" Night time..

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hoover|1350969254|3290638 said:
Phoenix|1350916840|3290158 said:
Thank you, Sharon and Hoover. I shall go to La Mer and ask them about the soft cream. Perhaps I can use the soft cream for day and the regular cream for night (?). Tell me, what does "hydrating infusion" actually do? Is it like a serum? I never know what those serums are for and how one can actually use them, lol!

It wouldn't hurt to get some samples from them to try out their stuff and see what works for you. If you get a really nice sales person, they'll load you up. ::)

I think of the hydrating infusion as a "serum light". It's runnier than the regular serums (also easier on the pocketbook too at a third of the price) and I think it does the same thing. (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) YayTacori said she uses the radiant infusion (as a toner?) and the hydrating infusion is the alternative in that product line. I like having the extra moisture from the infusion and putting the cream on top feels like it's sealing that in...

I've heard so many things about the different serums and the sales people always push the La Mer "concentrate serum", but when I'm already $300 in for several items, they're going to have prove that it'll do something amazing to make me drop another $300 on one tiny bottle. That being said, if any PSers bought the La Mer serums/concentrates, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth the extra money?

I went to visit the La Mer counter yesterdy and they were very helpful . However, the prices are just :o :o . They want something like USD350 for the regular cream/ soft cream (same pricing, if memory serves me right) and just under USD500 for the concentrate serum. The sales lady tried to talk me into buying both the regular and the soft cream (she said I could use the former for night and the latter for day use). She also told me I should buy the concentrate serum to use it on top of the hydrating infusion (or was it the other way round?). So all in all, she wanted me to spend something like USD1200-1400!! :o :rolleyes: (I can't remember how much they wanted for the hydrating infusion).

I think I may try the regular cream + hydrating infusion. I've still got a brand new jar of Estee Lauder, which I may use as a day cream.

Tell me though, can the hydrating infusion be used for both days and nights? And you put that on first, before the cream, right?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YayTacori|1350976022|3290645 said:
hoover said:
Thank you, Sharon and Hoover. I shall go to La Mer and ask them about the soft cream. Perhaps I can use the soft cream for day and the regular cream for night (?). Tell me, what does "hydrating infusion" actually do? Is it like a serum? I never know what those serums are for and how one can actually use them, lol!

It wouldn't hurt to get some samples from them to try out their stuff and see what works for you. If you get a really nice sales person, they'll load you up. ::)

I think of the hydrating infusion as a "serum light". It's runnier than the regular serums (also easier on the pocketbook too at a third of the price) and I think it does the same thing. (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) YayTacori said she uses the radiant infusion (as a toner?) and the hydrating infusion is the alternative in that product line. I like having the extra moisture from the infusion and putting the cream on top feels like it's sealing that in...

I've heard so many things about the different serums and the sales people always push the La Mer "concentrate serum", but when I'm already $300 in for several items, they're going to have prove that it'll do something amazing to make me drop another $300 on one tiny bottle. That being said, if any PSers bought the La Mer serums/concentrates, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth the extra money?
Yup, I use the radiant infusion as a toner. It's because I have really dry skin and not any ol' lotion or cream does the trick. I tried The Tonic and it dried me out. I've also used the eye concentrate. I really liked the wand they supply with the eye cream but it was a bit too rich for me and I started to get these little bumps. Dermatologist suggested I stop using the cream and eventually the little bumps went away. Whew...

I've also used the radiant serum. But I don't really remember any extremely good things or extremely bad things... So, for me, I wouldn't spend almost 300 dollars for a serum. I was told that I would start seeing real results a bit into using the serum so I used one bottle, bought another, finished that but didn't really see anything new and exciting about my skin.

Oh, so after you cleanse your face, you tone it with the radian infusion? Which cleanser do you use? I also have extremely dry skin as mentioned, so would love to hear your tried and tested method. Also, do you rinse off your face with water after the cleanser at all or do you go straight to the radiant infusion?

D

Deactivated member 42515

Pheonix said:
YayTacori|1350976022|3290645 said:
hoover said:

Yup, I use the radiant infusion as a toner. It's because I have really dry skin and not any ol' lotion or cream does the trick. I tried The Tonic and it dried me out. I've also used the eye concentrate. I really liked the wand they supply with the eye cream but it was a bit too rich for me and I started to get these little bumps. Dermatologist suggested I stop using the cream and eventually the little bumps went away. Whew...

I've also used the radiant serum. But I don't really remember any extremely good things or extremely bad things... So, for me, I wouldn't spend almost 300 dollars for a serum. I was told that I would start seeing real results a bit into using the serum so I used one bottle, bought another, finished that but didn't really see anything new and exciting about my skin.

Oh, so after you cleanse your face, you tone it with the radian infusion? Which cleanser do you use? I also have extremely dry skin as mentioned, so would love to hear your tried and tested method. Also, do you rinse off your face with water after the cleanser at all or do you go straight to the radiant infusion?
Do you have a Clarisonic? This is what I do.
I use the La Mer cleansing foam everyday. BUT, I only use the Clarisonic every other day. I realized that for most people, everyday is ok but for me it dried me out too much. Wash with warm water, final rinse cold water. Dab lightly with towel. Followed by radiant infusion, and if I have a serum (insert serum here) then it's the cream and finally the eye cream. But this is also my night routine. Mornings I just rinse my face off with warm water, (no soap) and the cold final rinse and just put on the radiant infusion, no serum, and then the cream.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Better late than never:
My favs to use on my 56 yo face:

1. Cetaphil cleanser once a day with my Clarisonic

2. ROC Multicorrection night cream. I have been using this for the last 2 - 3 months and love it (I use it twice a day)

3, NYX eye primer

4. Revlon Colorstay eyeliner in black (stays in place all day!)

5. NYX matte eyeshadows. Just discovered these and I love, love, love them. It is really hard to find matte shadows.

I occasionally use a bronzer and have fallen in love with NYC bronzing powder (comes in a compact). Not too dark, not shimmery, just right for contouring.

I still use my Prescriptives foundation, mainly because I love it and am too lazy to check out other brands. Have been looking for a new blush (I have my NARS orgasm for at least 5 years and hardly use it - just to dust lightly on the apple of my checks) and may try the Milani that someone one here mentioned.

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix|1351089975|3291382 said:
I went to visit the La Mer counter yesterdy and they were very helpful . However, the prices are just :o :o . They want something like USD350 for the regular cream/ soft cream (same pricing, if memory serves me right) and just under USD500 for the concentrate serum. The sales lady tried to talk me into buying both the regular and the soft cream (she said I could use the former for night and the latter for day use). She also told me I should buy the concentrate serum to use it on top of the hydrating infusion (or was it the other way round?). So all in all, she wanted me to spend something like USD1200-1400!! :o :rolleyes: (I can't remember how much they wanted for the hydrating infusion).

I think I may try the regular cream + hydrating infusion. I've still got a brand new jar of Estee Lauder, which I may use as a day cream.

Tell me though, can the hydrating infusion be used for both days and nights? And you put that on first, before the cream, right?

Wow... Were they selling you the bigger jars? The hydrating infusion should be $95 USD and the 1 oz jars of cream should be $150 USD (if you're buying from Nordstrom or Saks. Unfortunately, La Mer costs more in Canada too ;( ). If you're not sure, I wouldn't recommend buying the bigger sizes because that adds up quickly and if it doesn't work for you would be quite a few Starbucks drinks that you could've had :wink2: . I certainly hope they gave you samples so that you could try before you buy.

My routine in the PM: wash with the cleansing lotion (but I think I'll try something cheaper when I run out. I feel like I'm washing my money down the sink), skip toner, put on hydrating infusion, eye balm, then the cream.
In the AM, I'm like YayTacori where I just wash with plain water, then I use the tonic (pink, blue is too drying), then hydrating infusion, eye balm, either the regular cream or soft cream depending on how dry my skin feels, and sometimes sunblock if I remember.

I exfoliate once or twice a week with a scrub, but I haven't found one that I would buy regularly yet...

D

Deactivated member 42515

hoover said:
Phoenix|1351089975|3291382 said:

Wow... Were they selling you the bigger jars? The hydrating infusion should be $95 USD and the 1 oz jars of cream should be $150 USD (if you're buying from Nordstrom or Saks. Unfortunately, La Mer costs more in Canada too ;( ). If you're not sure, I wouldn't recommend buying the bigger sizes because that adds up quickly and if it doesn't work for you would be quite a few Starbucks drinks that you could've had :wink2: . I certainly hope they gave you samples so that you could try before you buy.

My routine in the PM: wash with the cleansing lotion (but I think I'll try something cheaper when I run out. I feel like I'm washing my money down the sink), skip toner, put on hydrating infusion, eye balm, then the cream.
In the AM, I'm like YayTacori where I just wash with plain water, then I use the tonic (pink, blue is too drying), then hydrating infusion, eye balm, either the regular cream or soft cream depending on how dry my skin feels, and sometimes sunblock if I remember.

I exfoliate once or twice a week with a scrub, but I haven't found one that I would buy regularly yet...
They're got a limited 8.5oz for $975! I always wished they would make a bigger jar than the 2oz I usually get. Because the 16.5oz is ummm... 1900 freaking dollars!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
^^^

16.5 oz??? Isn't that like 1 lb? I can't imagine one of those jars sitting on my counter! :-o
But at least it would be easy to find when you're tired and trying to get ready :lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="YayTacori|1351093856|
I use the La Mer cleansing foam everyday. BUT, I only use the Clarisonic every other day. I realized that for most people, everyday is ok but for me it dried me out too much. Wash with warm water, final rinse cold water. Dab lightly with towel. Followed by radiant infusion, and if I have a serum (insert serum here) then it's the cream and finally the eye cream. But this is also my night routine. Mornings I just rinse my face off with warm water, (no soap) and the cold final rinse and just put on the radiant infusion, no serum, and then the cream.[/quote]

Well, I've heard of mixed reviews on the Clarisonic and am a bit too scared to use it. Doesn't it dry out your skin even more? I usually deep-cleanse my face at least once a week with a very gentle sponge followed by a mask, hopefully that should do the same trick?

Thanks for letting me know about your routine. I may ask La Mer about the cleansing foam too.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="hoover|1351132664|3291862Wow... Were they selling you the bigger jars? The hydrating infusion should be $95 USD and the 1 oz jars of cream should be $150 USD (if you're buying from Nordstrom or Saks. Unfortunately, La Mer costs more in Canada too ;( ). If you're not sure, I wouldn't recommend buying the bigger sizes because that adds up quickly and if it doesn't work for you would be quite a few Starbucks drinks that you could've had :wink2: . I certainly hope they gave you samples so that you could try before you buy.

I exfoliate once or twice a week with a scrub, but I haven't found one that I would buy regularly yet...[/quote]

Ha ha, I was just thinking just the other way round - ie. how much money is literally pouring down the drain courtesy of Starbucks, lol!

I live in Singapore and EVERYTHING is sooooo expensive here! :nono: :knockout: . The cosmetics houses here are so stingy they never give out any samples. Even when you buy stuff from them and spend a fortune (like when I spent almost $1k on Mac) you still have to beg and they only give you 2 or 3 measly samples! :blackeye:

I am sure you're right that they were trying to sell me the bigger jars. I didn't even enquire about the sizing (Phoenix, duh!! :rolleyes: ). I may get DH to buy them for me when he's off to the US later this year. I may even stock up next time I am back in the UK because I am sure they're cheaper in Europe (right?).

Thanks for telling me about your routine too.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Pheonix said:
[quote="YayTacori|1351093856|
I use the La Mer cleansing foam everyday. BUT, I only use the Clarisonic every other day. I realized that for most people, everyday is ok but for me it dried me out too much. Wash with warm water, final rinse cold water. Dab lightly with towel. Followed by radiant infusion, and if I have a serum (insert serum here) then it's the cream and finally the eye cream. But this is also my night routine. Mornings I just rinse my face off with warm water, (no soap) and the cold final rinse and just put on the radiant infusion, no serum, and then the cream.

Well, I've heard of mixed reviews on the Clarisonic and am a bit too scared to use it. Doesn't it dry out your skin even more? I usually deep-cleanse my face at least once a week with a very gentle sponge followed by a mask, hopefully that should do the same trick?

Thanks for letting me know about your routine. I may ask La Mer about the cleansing foam too.[/quote]
The thing about most beauty products I realized is that they are talking about results after using Clarisonic. They proclaim to have this kind of effect on skin or that effect, but if you read the fine print, these results are only after cleansing with a Clarisonic and then applying the product. I wasn't a believer of Clarisonic at first because it was like 200 dollars for one but now, I don't know how I lived without it. No more pimples, no more random dry spots, just a cleansed face.
I sound like I work for Clarisonic hahaha

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YayTacori, I should look into Clarisonic. I have oil spots on my forehead. I wonder if that would get rid of them?

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix|1350797635|3289465 said:
tuffyluvr|1348187746|3271957 said:
I just bought the limited edition Maybelline colored mascara in blue, and I love it! It's navy and it makes my blue eyes look even blue-er. The color is very subtle and I have always loved Great Lash mascara,so it was a great buy at $5!

Also, it's not makeup, but I want to shout from the rooftops how amazing the Obagi skincare line is. I started using the Professional C line about 3 months ago, and my skin looks so much better--brighter and noticibly fewer fine lines. It's bloody expensive, but being happy with my skin makes it 100% worth it for me. I feel the same about the Kerastase haircare line--the Cristalliste shampoo, conditioner and serum have transformed the texture of my hair and my frizz is all but gone.

Do they have products for super-dry skin? And where can one get them? I'd love to try - my skin is so super dry these days, I feel like my face is just about to crack any moment! :nono:

sorry I didn't see this sooner!

You would have to do a bit of research... I'm not sure if any of the lines/formulations are specialized for extra dry skin. My skin is sensitive and it works very well for me. I use the obagi-C Rx for normal/dry skin. PM-Cleansing gel, hydroquinone 4% cream and eye cream. AM--splash with warm water, vitamin C serum, day cream and sunscreen.

You have to buy the product through a doctor, medispa or authorized retailer. You can find more info on the lines and where to buy on the website: obagi.com.

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix|1351227660|3292681 said:
Ha ha, I was just thinking just the other way round - ie. how much money is literally pouring down the drain courtesy of Starbucks, lol!

I live in Singapore and EVERYTHING is sooooo expensive here! :nono: :knockout: . The cosmetics houses here are so stingy they never give out any samples. Even when you buy stuff from them and spend a fortune (like when I spent almost $1k on Mac) you still have to beg and they only give you 2 or 3 measly samples! :blackeye:

I am sure you're right that they were trying to sell me the bigger jars. I didn't even enquire about the sizing (Phoenix, duh!! :rolleyes: ). I may get DH to buy them for me when he's off to the US later this year. I may even stock up next time I am back in the UK because I am sure they're cheaper in Europe (right?).

That's awful that they're so stingy! You'd think that they would be nicer to try to attract customers...

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I don't think I posted about actual makeup items that I like, so here they are:

1. Burt's Bees tinted lip balm (I get some subtle colour, but none of the breakouts around the lips that lipsticks cause)
2. Blinc fiber mascara (no smudging or running - even in heat and humidity - and comes off in little tubes with just warm water. No panda/raccoon eyes :appl: )

And that's the extent of makeup that I wear :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, has anyone tried heated eyelash curlers?
Right now, I just warm up my regular eyelash curler with a hair dryer. I have stick straight lashes and I would welcome anything that helps curl my lashes better (and holds the curl longer) but is fast

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1351329370|3293398 said:
Phoenix|1350797635|3289465 said:
tuffyluvr|1348187746|3271957 said:
I just bought the limited edition Maybelline colored mascara in blue, and I love it! It's navy and it makes my blue eyes look even blue-er. The color is very subtle and I have always loved Great Lash mascara,so it was a great buy at $5!

Also, it's not makeup, but I want to shout from the rooftops how amazing the Obagi skincare line is. I started using the Professional C line about 3 months ago, and my skin looks so much better--brighter and noticibly fewer fine lines. It's bloody expensive, but being happy with my skin makes it 100% worth it for me. I feel the same about the Kerastase haircare line--the Cristalliste shampoo, conditioner and serum have transformed the texture of my hair and my frizz is all but gone.

Do they have products for super-dry skin? And where can one get them? I'd love to try - my skin is so super dry these days, I feel like my face is just about to crack any moment! :nono:

sorry I didn't see this sooner!

You would have to do a bit of research... I'm not sure if any of the lines/formulations are specialized for extra dry skin. My skin is sensitive and it works very well for me. I use the obagi-C Rx for normal/dry skin. PM-Cleansing gel, hydroquinone 4% cream and eye cream. AM--splash with warm water, vitamin C serum, day cream and sunscreen.

You have to buy the product through a doctor, medispa or authorized retailer. You can find more info on the lines and where to buy on the website: obagi.com.

No worries! :)) Thanks for replying. I will do the research.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to add that I've recently been using Clarins tinted moisturiser instead of MAC BB cream as I find the latter dries my skin out too much. The tinted moisturiser also provides just enough coverage without clogging my pores or looking too cake-y.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissPrudential|1350775637|3289327 said:
I'll be honest... I don't find many high end items that I repurchase. Though I do buy **plenty** to try out!

I'll go in order of application for my normal day.

Devita Solar 30 Body Block w/ Shea Butter... 19% zinc oxide and no white reside. Like silk. I love it. I also use BurnOut products. I really tried to love La Roche Posay but my skin hates the chemicals.
Revlon Color Stay Whipped... or none... this must be applied with a foundation brush or it's a mess.
L'Oreal Translucide loose powder... light hand with it though
Milani Baked Blush... seriously awesome. This is an area that I have a ton of high end products. NARS particularly. I love this more.
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil as base for eyeshadow... white highlight, cream on lid
Some combo of smashbox, UD Naked I or II Palettes, NYX eyeshadows, oh and LORAC trios... I have a ton of those that I love... it's about application technique more than product IMO.
Physicians Formula Eye Booster eye liner
L'Oreal Volumous mascara

...and lips. Well, I have too many glosses and lipsticks and such to count. Highlights: I think I have the full collection of Bare Minerals Pretty Amazing Lipcolor, same with the new Revlon Lip Tints...oh, and then there are the MAC Lip Glass but I find those drying and sticky... can't stop buying them though.
I have been looking everywhere for a daily body block with spf 30! Do you have to order the Devita online or can you find it at a shop somewhere?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results