shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your favorite makeup items?

yellowducky

Rough_Rock
Phoenix|1347894131|3269610 said:
Does any one have a recommendation of a good You Tube video for smokey eyes? I mean the really dark, very heavy smokey eye look. I'd love to sport this look when I go out at night but I can't seem to find a suitable video and I keep trying to do the make-up on my eyes but have failed - miserably!! :(sad

Phoenix, you are Asian, right? I like From Head to Toe's smokey eye tutorials. They're worth a view.

As for my must-have items:

- eyelid primer - I've been using Benefit but I hear Urban Decay's is good as well
- another nod for DiorShow mascara. I find that it actually helps my lashes curl on their own.
- Shu Uemura eyelash curler - the only one that doesn't pinch
- Naked 2 eyeshadow palette by Urban Decay - lots of great colors that are great for daily wear or an evening out
- eos lip balm - love how easy it is to apply

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAJennifer|1347900095|3269659 said:
Does any one have a recommendation of a good You Tube video for smokey eyes? I mean the really dark, very heavy smokey eye look. I'd love to sport this look when I go out at night but I can't seem to find a suitable video and I keep trying to do the make-up on my eyes but have failed - miserably!! :(sad

This is my favorite youtube guru. I'm sure he has a few that would work for you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gossmakeupartist/videos?view=0

Thank you, Jennifer. Those videos are so cool!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yellowducky|1347907299|3269728 said:

Phoenix, you are Asian, right? I like From Head to Toe's smokey eye tutorials. They're worth a view.

Ooooh, that's GREAT! I've been looking for something like this forever! What a transformation, but she *is* quite pretty. Thanks.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
princesss|1347882490|3269527 said:
I'm amazed by all the love for NARS Orgasm (and their blushes in general). I bought it and was really unhappy with it. For the amount of money I spent on that, I wanted something that clearly beat out my Cover Girl blush, but I really wasn't convinced that it was worth it. Back to $7 blush for me!

I totally agree-- overrated! The golden flecks are a little obvious, and at least for my skin it has zero longevity.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wrinkles.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clumping cat litter.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Funny, I had never heard of BB cream until this thread. Then I saw three ads for it in my magazine. I'm intrigued.

But, I don't wear foundation daily, and when I do it's bare minerals powder. Will BB cream feel like it's there? Or will it just feel like lotion?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1348007189|3270472 said:
Funny, I had never heard of BB cream until this thread. Then I saw three ads for it in my magazine. I'm intrigued.

But, I don't wear foundation daily, and when I do it's bare minerals powder. Will BB cream feel like it's there? Or will it just feel like lotion?
To me, it felt like slippery foundation. I tried the Garnier one and it was not enough coverage for me and made me feel way to oily for everyday. Is there another brand I should try for more coverage and a better feel?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1348008547|3270487 said:

To me, it felt like slippery foundation. I tried the Garnier one and it was not enough coverage for me and made me feel way to oily for everyday. Is there another brand I should try for more coverage and a better feel?

I've tried several BB creams. I have very fair, oily skin. I loved the Smashbox BB cream, but I found that the Clinique BB cream wore the longest with my oily skin (it had the best coverage too). I didn't care for Boscia or Too Faced.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Daily, I usually (if I am not in a hurry running out the door) wear

Indeed Labs Moisture Booster Hydraluron serum
Clarins Hydraquench Cream Gel
YSL Touche Eclat Foundation
Laura Mercier eye concealer
Benefit They're Real mascara in Black (this stuff is insane - it's the beeswax in it that makes the difference I think - lashes look incredible!)
Benefit Sugarbomb blusher/bronzer

...and a variety of lipsticks/glosses/eyeshadows etc which I change everyday

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought the limited edition Maybelline colored mascara in blue, and I love it! It's navy and it makes my blue eyes look even blue-er. The color is very subtle and I have always loved Great Lash mascara,so it was a great buy at $5!

Also, it's not makeup, but I want to shout from the rooftops how amazing the Obagi skincare line is. I started using the Professional C line about 3 months ago, and my skin looks so much better--brighter and noticibly fewer fine lines. It's bloody expensive, but being happy with my skin makes it 100% worth it for me. I feel the same about the Kerastase haircare line--the Cristalliste shampoo, conditioner and serum have transformed the texture of my hair and my frizz is all but gone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hope this qualifies--makeup remover item: I've used them all but love VICHY Purete Thermale. SUPER gentle. I had the Clinque product for sensitive skin/eyes, and did not enjoy it, it stung! I find this prodcut takes my eye makeup off very easily--no scrubbing required. There is a waterproof mascara version availalbe. AND you can put it in the fridge and soak your eyepad in it and use it like a tonic--and it is SO cooling and refreshing!

cheers--Sharon

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be honest... I don't find many high end items that I repurchase. Though I do buy **plenty** to try out!

I'll go in order of application for my normal day.

Devita Solar 30 Body Block w/ Shea Butter... 19% zinc oxide and no white reside. Like silk. I love it. I also use BurnOut products. I really tried to love La Roche Posay but my skin hates the chemicals.
Revlon Color Stay Whipped... or none... this must be applied with a foundation brush or it's a mess.
L'Oreal Translucide loose powder... light hand with it though
Milani Baked Blush... seriously awesome. This is an area that I have a ton of high end products. NARS particularly. I love this more.
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil as base for eyeshadow... white highlight, cream on lid
Some combo of smashbox, UD Naked I or II Palettes, NYX eyeshadows, oh and LORAC trios... I have a ton of those that I love... it's about application technique more than product IMO.
Physicians Formula Eye Booster eye liner
L'Oreal Volumous mascara

...and lips. Well, I have too many glosses and lipsticks and such to count. Highlights: I think I have the full collection of Bare Minerals Pretty Amazing Lipcolor, same with the new Revlon Lip Tints...oh, and then there are the MAC Lip Glass but I find those drying and sticky... can't stop buying them though.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
tuffyluvr|1348187746|3271957 said:
Also, it's not makeup, but I want to shout from the rooftops how amazing the Obagi skincare line is. I started using the Professional C line about 3 months ago, and my skin looks so much better--brighter and noticibly fewer fine lines. It's bloody expensive, but being happy with my skin makes it 100% worth it for me.

I'll second this rec.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a great thread! Because everybody's different not every recommendation will work for others. I've recently learned how to use make up after wearing almost none for 30 years. I got most of my product and application recommendations from this website:
http://www.beautypedia.com/

Kudos to all the young ladies who can apply elaborate multi-step designs!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone tried Jane Iredale mineral makeup?

https://janeiredale.com/us/en/mineral-makeup/all-face-makeup.htm

It was recommended to me because I have really sensitive skin - pretty much all makeup makes me itchy. I tried a sample of the BB cream and pressed powder and so far it's working out well for me. No itching until about the end of the day, so around 12-14 hours of wear before I start to react.

At $50+ for the products (in Canada, at medispas and dermatologist clinics), it's not more expensive than the high end department store brands so I'm really tempted to buy it, but I just don't want it to be something else that I wasted money on to sit in a drawer and eventually toss in the trash... Any recs for this brand or other brands of makeup for really sensitive skin?

D

Deactivated member 42515

hoover|1350787420|3289412 said:

It was recommended to me because I have really sensitive skin - pretty much all makeup makes me itchy. I tried a sample of the BB cream and pressed powder and so far it's working out well for me. No itching until about the end of the day, so around 12-14 hours of wear before I start to react.

At $50+ for the products (in Canada, at medispas and dermatologist clinics), it's not more expensive than the high end department store brands so I'm really tempted to buy it, but I just don't want it to be something else that I wasted money on to sit in a drawer and eventually toss in the trash... Any recs for this brand or other brands of makeup for really sensitive skin?

Hey there Hoover :wavey: My SIL has probably used every single makeup out there. She loved Jane Iredale. She changes makeup brands all the time and usually always buys something different once she runs out of what shes currently using but she used Jane Iredale's stuff for a while.

I have extremely sensitive skin. If I use the wrong stuff, I break out into hives and rashes and dry patches all over my face. I usually do not recommend Mac for sensitive skin, but I have been using their face and body foundation and I like it. Its light but has good coverage. I also use Makeup Forever eye shadow. Any other shadow made the skin around my eyes turn red and blotchy. I also use Makeup Forever's mineral finishing powder to finish off my foundation.

Edit to add- I also use La Mer for my skincare. Yes, it is almost 300 dollars but I swear its worth it. But, when I'm short on money, I actually use Boots. It's on the total opposite end of La Mer, but it does seem to do a decent job when I'm in between. I believe Boots is a UK brand and is like Revlon or something for us here? I usually buy it at Target or Ulta.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1348187746|3271957 said:
I just bought the limited edition Maybelline colored mascara in blue, and I love it! It's navy and it makes my blue eyes look even blue-er. The color is very subtle and I have always loved Great Lash mascara,so it was a great buy at $5!

Also, it's not makeup, but I want to shout from the rooftops how amazing the Obagi skincare line is. I started using the Professional C line about 3 months ago, and my skin looks so much better--brighter and noticibly fewer fine lines. It's bloody expensive, but being happy with my skin makes it 100% worth it for me. I feel the same about the Kerastase haircare line--the Cristalliste shampoo, conditioner and serum have transformed the texture of my hair and my frizz is all but gone.

Do they have products for super-dry skin? And where can one get them? I'd love to try - my skin is so super dry these days, I feel like my face is just about to crack any moment! :nono:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YayTacori|1350796315|3289456 said:

Hey there Hoover :wavey: My SIL has probably used every single makeup out there. She loved Jane Iredale. She changes makeup brands all the time and usually always buys something different once she runs out of what shes currently using but she used Jane Iredale's stuff for a while.

I have extremely sensitive skin. If I use the wrong stuff, I break out into hives and rashes and dry patches all over my face. I usually do not recommend Mac for sensitive skin, but I have been using their face and body foundation and I like it. Its light but has good coverage. I also use Makeup Forever eye shadow. Any other shadow made the skin around my eyes turn red and blotchy. I also use Makeup Forever's mineral finishing powder to finish off my foundation.

Edit to add- I also use La Mer for my skincare. Yes, it is almost 300 dollars but I swear its worth it. But, when I'm short on money, I actually use Boots. It's on the total opposite end of La Mer, but it does seem to do a decent job when I'm in between. I believe Boots is a UK brand and is like Revlon or something for us here? I usually buy it at Target or Ulta.

YayTacori, I have rather senstive skin too. It seems to be a bit better than before I can still react to "stuff". I also tried La Mer abt 2 years ago and it ended up clogging my skin and I got pimples with it. Have you not experienced anything like that? I wonder if it's because I used far too much (?). Maybe I should give it another go cuz my skin has become super-super-dry these days, darn old age! :((

Which Boots product(s) do you use? I can get it when I go back to the UK. I understand Boots is now in Hong Kong too but I don't know exactly what they stock there.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Pheonix said:

YayTacori, I have rather senstive skin too. It seems to be a bit better than before I can still react to "stuff". I also tried La Mer abt 2 years ago and it ended up clogging my skin and I got pimples with it. Have you not experienced anything like that? I wonder if it's because I used far too much (?). Maybe I should give it another go cuz my skin has become super-super-dry these days, darn old age! :((

Which Boots product(s) do you use? I can get it when I go back to the UK. I understand Boots is now in Hong Kong too but I don't know exactly what they stock there.
I never experienced clogging with La Mer or pimples. I did use a very small amount tho. I have very dry skin but a small amount seemed to be enough. I also used the radiant infusion as a toner and use the La Mer cleansing foam for my Clarisonic.

As for Boots, I use the no. 7 line. I use the Soft and Soothed for a toner and I use the Advanced Hydration for cream. I got both day and night creams. I also like the Calm Skin-redness relief gel that I put on in between the toner and the cream.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much, YT. I will try them out (again) and will not use too much. It's great to know. :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1350801479|3289475 said:
Thank you very much, YT. I will try them out (again) and will not use too much. It's great to know. :appl:

I adore La Mer but I love rich creams. Did you know they now produce a lighter version? Don't know if they call it "lotion," but I think it has similar lotion qualities.....

cheers--Sharon

hoover

Shiny_Rock

Hi YayTacori! :wavey: thanks for the info about Jane Iredale. I'm just like you where so much stuff makes me itchy and blotchy. Eye makeup never stays on my eyes either - I usually end up looking like Alice Cooper if I wear any eyeliner :roll:

I'm a huge fan of La Mer as well. It's so expensive but it's the only brand that doesn't make me break out or get itchy and blotchy

hoover

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1350831723|3289626 said:

I adore La Mer but I love rich creams. Did you know they now produce a lighter version? Don't know if they call it "lotion," but I think it has similar lotion qualities.....

cheers--Sharon

The new version is called "soft cream". I really like it. I use the regular cream as a night cream and in the winter (it's really cold and dry where I live), and the soft cream is great for me. The lotion just isn't moisturizing enough for me and the soft cream really is in between the lotion and the cream. A little goes a long way for these creams. I usually only use a pea sized amount. I think you might like this new one better, Phoenix.

I also use their tonic (toner) since it doesn't make my skin feel like its burning like other toners do. I also use the hydrating infusion and whitening essence. I haven't been using the whitening essence to know if it really works on sunspots yet.... The La Mer sunscreen isn't worth it though... Too slick/shiny.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hoover|1350842677|3289714 said:
canuk-gal|1350831723|3289626 said:

cheers--Sharon

The new version is called "soft cream". I really like it. I use the regular cream as a night cream and in the winter (it's really cold and dry where I live), and the soft cream is great for me. The lotion just isn't moisturizing enough for me and the soft cream really is in between the lotion and the cream. A little goes a long way for these creams. I usually only use a pea sized amount. I think you might like this new one better, Phoenix.

I also use their tonic (toner) since it doesn't make my skin feel like its burning like other toners do. I also use the hydrating infusion and whitening essence. I haven't been using the whitening essence to know if it really works on sunspots yet.... The La Mer sunscreen isn't worth it though... Too slick/shiny.

Thank you, Sharon and Hoover. I shall go to La Mer and ask them about the soft cream. Perhaps I can use the soft cream for day and the regular cream for night (?). Tell me, what does "hydrating infusion" actually do? Is it like a serum? I never know what those serums are for and how one can actually use them, lol!

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
This is a bit late, but I figured I would add my input since I haven't changed makeup lines in years...

1) Tinted moisturizer is ALWAYS: Laura Mercier (pefect for any skin type- they layer on well)
2) Eye shawdow, pen, lip gloss, bronzer, blush: Chanel (worth the overpriced makeup).
3) Shadow is ALWAYS Dior Show.

:)

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
packrat|1336821695|3193708 said:
Haven|1336596890|3191470 said:
I am such a tightwad when it comes to makeup, but I DO buy Chanel lipsticks because they're amazing. Especially their reds. And DH loves a good lipstick. :naughty:

But for everyday I just wear some eyeliner, mascara, and Aquaphor on my lips. Sometimes I swipe some powder over my nose, and I use it more now that I'm just barely preggo and that seems to be putting me back into my oily preteen complexion, much to my dismay!

:appl: Congratulations Haven! I won't tell you how far I got reading the thread after that before my over tired brain cells went "oh wait...go back and read that again, did she say...?"

I think we might be the same person! Those are pretty much my everyday faves as well..

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
LAJennifer|1348013473|3270545 said:
webdiva|1348008547|3270487 said:

I've tried several BB creams. I have very fair, oily skin. I loved the Smashbox BB cream, but I found that the Clinique BB cream wore the longest with my oily skin (it had the best coverage too). I didn't care for Boscia or Too Faced.

I really like Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse! It feels nice, i usually mix it wish some highlighting cream as well just to make it more "glowey"

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix|1350916840|3290158 said:
Thank you, Sharon and Hoover. I shall go to La Mer and ask them about the soft cream. Perhaps I can use the soft cream for day and the regular cream for night (?). Tell me, what does "hydrating infusion" actually do? Is it like a serum? I never know what those serums are for and how one can actually use them, lol!

It wouldn't hurt to get some samples from them to try out their stuff and see what works for you. If you get a really nice sales person, they'll load you up. ::)

I think of the hydrating infusion as a "serum light". It's runnier than the regular serums (also easier on the pocketbook too at a third of the price) and I think it does the same thing. (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) YayTacori said she uses the radiant infusion (as a toner?) and the hydrating infusion is the alternative in that product line. I like having the extra moisture from the infusion and putting the cream on top feels like it's sealing that in...

I've heard so many things about the different serums and the sales people always push the La Mer "concentrate serum", but when I'm already $300 in for several items, they're going to have prove that it'll do something amazing to make me drop another $300 on one tiny bottle. That being said, if any PSers bought the La Mer serums/concentrates, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth the extra money?

D

Deactivated member 42515

hoover said:
Phoenix|1350916840|3290158 said:

It wouldn't hurt to get some samples from them to try out their stuff and see what works for you. If you get a really nice sales person, they'll load you up. ::)

I think of the hydrating infusion as a "serum light". It's runnier than the regular serums (also easier on the pocketbook too at a third of the price) and I think it does the same thing. (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) YayTacori said she uses the radiant infusion (as a toner?) and the hydrating infusion is the alternative in that product line. I like having the extra moisture from the infusion and putting the cream on top feels like it's sealing that in...

I've heard so many things about the different serums and the sales people always push the La Mer "concentrate serum", but when I'm already $300 in for several items, they're going to have prove that it'll do something amazing to make me drop another $300 on one tiny bottle. That being said, if any PSers bought the La Mer serums/concentrates, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth the extra money?
Yup, I use the radiant infusion as a toner. It's because I have really dry skin and not any ol' lotion or cream does the trick. I tried The Tonic and it dried me out. I've also used the eye concentrate. I really liked the wand they supply with the eye cream but it was a bit too rich for me and I started to get these little bumps. Dermatologist suggested I stop using the cream and eventually the little bumps went away. Whew...

I've also used the radiant serum. But I don't really remember any extremely good things or extremely bad things... So, for me, I wouldn't spend almost 300 dollars for a serum. I was told that I would start seeing real results a bit into using the serum so I used one bottle, bought another, finished that but didn't really see anything new and exciting about my skin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results