shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you reading now?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm currently rotating between rereading Harry Potter and rereading Anne of Green Gables. I seriously need something new to read.

So...go.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just finished Stieg larsson's Trilogy (Girl with the dragon tattoo....etc)

Haven't visited a bookstore or library for a while, so I'm reading my childrens' Beverly Cleary books (he he)

Ramona Age 8, Ramona and her Dad...,.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom said:
I just finished Stieg larsson's Trilogy (Girl with the dragon tattoo....etc)

Haven't visited a bookstore or library for a while, so I'm reading my childrens' Beverly Cleary books (he he)

Ramona Age 8, Ramona and her Dad...,.

I loved the Ramona books when I was younger. I saw a display of them in Borders a few weeks ago and wanted to sit in the cafe and read them all again.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm reading Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone for the PS book club.

Before that I was halfway through Dickens' Pickwick Papers. Hopefully I remember what was going on when I pick it back up.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
El - how do you like The Moonstone?

Bean - I've read The Strain and it freaked me out. I'm definitely reading the next book though - I think it's out on Sept. 21 (The Fall)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
BEG, I like it a lot! I read it when I was a teen and remember having to put it down and pick it up a bunch of times, but it's much much better this time around. I guess I'm older and able to concentrate better. Obviously I'm a sucker for the mid-1800s Brit lit, so it's right up my alley.

Pickwick, on the other hand, isn't great. It's hilarious, but has no plot - it's more of a string of short stories about the same group of people. It's hard to really get into it without much of a driving plot behind it (this wouldn't matter so much if it wasn't around 600 pages). It's ok though. Just not my favorite of Dickens'. The Moonstone is much better.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I just came across my copy of "The Moonstone" a couple days ago. I think it's begging for a reread.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
lulu said:
I just came across my copy of "The Moonstone" a couple days ago. I think it's begging for a reread.

Come and join our discussion in the Library!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I'm reading the official biography of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. It's over 900 pages so it will take a while. I am also re-reading "Gone to Soldiers" by Marge Piercy. It's an absorbing look at WWII thru different people's experiences. I originally read this book in the 80s and it had always stayed with me. I highly recommend it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished reading "Catch Capone" by Eig. It is a very interesting book based on good knowledge of material, at times hard to read but this is the first book that gave unbiased and very unusual look at Capone. Fore example, it is assumed that Valentine's Day Massacre was Capone's doing although he was not even in Chicago at that time. Eig actually provides facts - not a theory - showing who did it and why. Also, I used to believe in Elliott Ness; Eig explains that he had very little to do with destroying Capone.
He wrote another book, "The Lucky Man", about Louis Gehrig, which I plan to read.
It was fun to find out that O'Hare's airport was named after the son of Capone's business partner, owner of a dog racetrack. His son, though, was a fine man and a war hero.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am reading the last book in th Steig Larsson trilogy.

Next up in the Hunger Games Trilogy, need to reads books 2 and 3.

I like series, can you tell? 8)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I am reading the last book in th Steig Larsson trilogy.

Next up in the Hunger Games Trilogy, need to reads books 2 and 3.

I like series, can you tell? 8)

I LOVE the Hunger Games books. So addicting.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
El - I'll have to check The Moonstone out. I've never been a fan of Dickens though. I hated Tale of Two Cities.

Amber - Gone to Soliders sounds really interesting!

Crasru - totally didn't know that about O'Hare!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm reading The Moonstone.

I just finished the new John Sandford- Storm Prey I think? Awful- just finished it yesterday and can't remember the title. It was good though.

I'm about to start reading Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt. I like to have a physical book to ready when I'm on the treadmill. I can't read my Kindle on the treadmill- doesn't work for me for some reason.

B.E.G. said:

Bean - I've read The Strain and it freaked me out. I'm definitely reading the next book though - I think it's out on Sept. 21 (The Fall)

LOL I had been reading it at night before bed and I actually got scared enough to sleep with the light on one night! They way it is written, I can completely picture it in my head and playing it out like a movie or real life :shock: 8-) I took a break and now I'm going to finish it, then on to the stieg larsson books!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
The Moonstone
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
and The New Codependency

I also have tried reading the True Blood books.. and I can't get into them. I seriously can not read past 100 pages of the first book. I've attempted it 3 times now. I think it's a TV only thing for me..

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
autumn - how is that? Have you read all of hers? I was curious but afraid of frying my brain. I watched the hills, it was my trash.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
bean said:
B.E.G. said:

LOL I had been reading it at night before bed and I actually got scared enough to sleep with the light on one night! They way it is written, I can completely picture it in my head and playing it out like a movie or real life :shock: 8-) I took a break and now I'm going to finish it, then on to the stieg larsson books!

That initial scene with the bodies on the plane....shivers.

I haven't picked up the Stieg Larsson books yet but I really should. I've heard nothing but good things.

ETA: On the Sookie Stackhouse books, I think the first one's tough if you've seen the show since it adheres fairly closely to the book. The show starts diverging in the second book and really drifts away in the third, so those might offer more surprises (and be more interesting)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
This is an author whom I'd recommend wholeheartedly for those who don't really have a "genre" that they stick to:

David Sedaris

He is an openly gay radio personality that writes short, hysterical stories about everyday life, and a lot are true stories from his childhood. I own all of his books, and I re-read them repeatedly, and find them hysterical each and every time!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
In theory, I'm reading The Moonstone, DeLillo's White Noise, Trollope's Can You Forgive Her?, and Patterson's Cross Country. In actuality, I'm suffering from A.D.D. and can't focus on diddley doo.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just finished rereading "The Four Queens", a non fiction account of the Provençal sisters: Marguarite, Queen of France (married to Louis IX); Eleanor, Queen of England (married to Henry III); Cynthia/Sanchia, Queen of the Romans (married to Earl Richard of Cornwall, the richest man in Europe) and Beatrice, Queen of Sicily (and Countess of Provence in her own right).

So, today, I picked up Ripley's Game to read.

I am trying to find The Moonstone, too. I hate translations, the bookstores here don't carry it in English and I reading on the computer gives me a headache.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty said:
twilight... :lol: *runs and hides*

I read it a couple months ago, and I ahve to admit the book was not that bad. I can't stand the movie though. Kristen Stewart's expressionless face irks me.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
I just finished rereading "The Four Queens", a non fiction account of the Provençal sisters: Marguarite, Queen of France (married to Louis IX); Eleanor, Queen of England (married to Henry III); Cynthia/Sanchia, Queen of the Romans (married to Earl Richard of Cornwall, the richest man in Europe) and Beatrice, Queen of Sicily (and Countess of Provence in her own right).

So, today, I picked up Ripley's Game to read.

I am trying to find The Moonstone, too. I hate translations, the bookstores here don't carry it in English and I reading on the computer gives me a headache.

How did you like The Four Queens? I've picked up and put down that book several times at the bookstore.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
autumn - how is that? Have you read all of hers? I was curious but afraid of frying my brain. I watched the hills, it was my trash.

I'm on page 5...I'll let you know, hahah!! 8)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen said:
I'm reading Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone for the PS book club.

I am, also. Right before I started it, I managed to squeeze in The Help in three or four days. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to read it if I didn't read it before starting The Moonstone so I made hay while the sun shone (so to speak).

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results