shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you good at?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
This is a follow-up of with my Shameless Bragging post.....

What is something you think you're really good at? Not necessarily good enough to do it professionally, but something you enjoy and have a natural talent for?

Here's mine. I think I'm a good home cook. I don't follow recipes, andI can usually copy flavors really well...so if I had a great Moroccan couscous dish at a restaurant (for eg.) I can decipher the smells and taste of the spices and recreate at home. I don't necessarily ever want to go to culinary school, or be a chef in any way shape or form, but I enjoy cooking for my friends and family, and I'm known to bring tasty stuff for potlucks.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Only two things that I can possibly think of and I did think hard about this one:

I make good healthy meals.

Besides that, my talent is my job. It is actually the first thing in my entire life that I have felt like I'm *really* great at. What makes me feel like I'm great at it is the constant positive feedback I get from my patients. It confirms I'm in the right field. Funny to think how just 3 months ago, I thought I'd be awful at what I do and was a nervous wreck...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you AN, I also feel that I have found the right job for me and I think I am very good at my job in the direct client care portion. I really enjoy it and I know I can make a good connection with people very quickly and help them improve their lives. I also think I'm pretty good at my other job - my interior decorating business. It always thrills me to have clients tell me how happy they are with the finished results. :praise:

And DH also calls me the "human GPS" - I have a great sense of direction!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1359666317|3368883 said:
I agree with you AN, I also feel that I have found the right job for me and I think I am very good at my job in the direct client care portion. I really enjoy it and I know I can make a good connection with people very quickly and help them improve their lives. I also think I'm pretty good at my other job - my interior decorating business. It always thrills me to have clients tell me how happy they are with the finished results. :praise:

And DH also calls me the "human GPS" - I have a great sense of direction!

Enerchi, I had no idea you were into interior decorating - VERY cool. All I ever watch is HGTV. LOVE property brothers, ever watch?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I've seen it a few times - DH is actually more into the Food Network so we see a lot of that. I love more of the reno shows and the house buying ones!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have a natural talent for being a mummy. I never wanted children & lived my life through tailored suits, project management & spreadsheets. However, having my girls has made me. I am still organised with daily life & prompt to play dates & activities, but I am also good at playing hide & seek, teaching the alphabet & how to draw, making my children laugh until they pee, singing nursery rhymes & really, really good at giving lovely cuddles :sun:

I have become a better, more patient person. I laugh more & I am more sympathetic & empathetic. I have definitely found my forte in becoming a mother.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MC|1359667468|3368916 said:
jaysonsmom|1359659142|3368727 said:
have a natural talent for?

Procrastination and spacing out.

+1

I am a procrastination master.

I'm also really good at sleeping. I hope I keep this talent as I get older. I hear insomnia sucks.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, I think this thread came up at the right time. I am going through a lot of negative issues at work right now, and it's sometimes easy to forget that I am actually good at something without letting all the negativity get to me.

I am pretty good at being objective, having the ability to get to the heart of an idea/argument straight away, and the ability to think long term and formulate strategies based on long term goals.

Thanks for coming up with this thread, jaysonsmom!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad that so many of you have talents that apply towards your jobs! My other natural talents are solving crosswords and sudoku. :cheeky:

I envy your sleeping talent Gem Fever! :lol:

Being a Human GPS is a plus if You evere want to be a taxi driver!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not good at much...lol, but I am really good at saving money at the grocery store...I have a teenage son and we were spending alot of money for groceries, I figured out how to do some extreme couponing and it is paying off! I also also pretty darn good at baking, I love to bake, I seldom do but I do find it enjoyable

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi, I call the cab you're in in Vegas!! My sense of direction is legendary too :bigsmile:

I'm... good at my job. Like you, AN, I didn't really expect to be - well I expected that I'd do well because I'd work my backside off, but I didn't expect it to come naturally. I'm good at seeing the designs and patterns lurking in all the stuff and I'm good at breaking things down into logical units that you can actually work with. Made school easier - I'd read the "history" and "theory" sections in every chapter and skip most of the examples. Also meant I rarely bothered with homework and counted on doing well on the exams to get me through... which *usually* worked...

I'm good at paying attention to details and not letting things slide through the cracks. It's bizarre because I absolutely detest organising things, and I'd be great at it! I just really hate making finally final decisions and throwing options away - commitment-phobia at its finest ::)

Edits - spelling. Yikes.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fun thread Jaysonsmom! Except for how jealous it's making me :devil: I *wish* I was a human GPS, could re-create dishes from my sense of smell, was good at saving money at the grocery store (ohmyGAWD that would add up), and I'm afraid to even mention about being a naturally talented mommy... the time to find out hasn't come yet, but it would be so great!

I agree with Alexiszoe, it's good to think about and put into words the things you're good at. I'll give my list a little more thought ::)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1359666583|3368893 said:
I think I've seen it a few times - DH is actually more into the Food Network so we see a lot of that. I love more of the reno shows and the house buying ones!!
Property brothers is a reno show. a must watch for you!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can holding a grudge count, 'cause if it does, I'm awesome at that! :cheeky:

Let's see, I'm good with kids and I have a lot of patience. I'm a good reader, writer, and speller. I'm pretty good with directions while driving, but I'm horrible at knowing which way is north, south, east, and west.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1359673588|3369023 said:

And they're SUUUUPPPPPEEERRR hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
well... with a well thought out response like that --- I'm *IN*!!! I love to enjoy man candy in the comfort of my home!! hahahaha!!! :lol:

Zoe - I'm with you, I can make "grudge holding" into an Olympic event!! I'm pretty good at that too! (I wish I was not a gold medal winner :nono: )

Yssie - come on in my cab!!! We can find all the best bling shops on the Vegas strip!!! 8-)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
04diamond<3|1359679725|3369138 said:

ZOMG yes. YUM. AND their new show "Buying and Selling". AND you should add to that list "Income Property" with Scott McGillivray. Yummmmmm. "Kitchen Cousins"/"Cousins on Call" is also a good one and they're pretty easy on the eyes, too.

YT, I'm LOLing over here! I'm sure your DH is happy that your talent is " :naughty: "

As for me...I'm an excellent navigator, according to my DH a pretty fabulous cook (both from recipe and in "throw something together out of ingredients we have on hand" mode), I am very good with remembering names (which is great because my DH is HORRIBLE at it, certainly impressed his rather large family the first time I met them all), and I'm a darn good schmoozer thanks to learning from one of the all-time greats: my mother. :lol:

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1359679913|3369143 said:
well... with a well thought out response like that --- I'm *IN*!!! I love to enjoy man candy in the comfort of my home!! hahahaha!!! :lol:

Zoe - I'm with you, I can make "grudge holding" into an Olympic event!! I'm pretty good at that too! (I wish I was not a gold medal winner :nono: )

Yssie - come on in my cab!!! We can find all the best bling shops on the Vegas strip!!! 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Seriously I"m not really good at anything. I mean I'm good at my job (i'm the major breadwinner in my family), and I try to be the best mom that I can be. But I can't cook and probably shouldn't. I start too many fires. I stink at almost anything domestic. I'm not very good at hobbies. I have no artistic talent to include scrap booking etc. I wish I could play an instrument but all my teachers said I was pretty much tone def. I LOVE to dance, but sometimes tells me that the approaching 30 crowd doesn't apreciate that ;(

DH says I'm amazing at drinking wine!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an excellent reader
I am an expert at daydreaming
I am a master of sleep
I can build a mean veggie sandwich, and even meat-eaters love my casseroles and one-pot concoctions

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1359681627|3369177 said:
Seriously I"m not really good at anything. I mean I'm good at my job (i'm the major breadwinner in my family), and I try to be the best mom that I can be. But I can't cook and probably shouldn't. I start too many fires. I stink at almost anything domestic. I'm not very good at hobbies. I have no artistic talent to include scrap booking etc. I wish I could play an instrument but all my teachers said I was pretty much tone def. I LOVE to dance, but sometimes tells me that the approaching 30 crowd doesn't apreciate that ;(

DH says I'm amazing at drinking wine!

hahaha :appl:

D

Deactivated member 42515

vc10um said:
04diamond<3|1359679725|3369138 said:

ZOMG yes. YUM. AND their new show "Buying and Selling". AND you should add to that list "Income Property" with Scott McGillivray. Yummmmmm. "Kitchen Cousins"/"Cousins on Call" is also a good one and they're pretty easy on the eyes, too.

YT, I'm LOLing over here! I'm sure your DH is happy that your talent is " :naughty: "

As for me...I'm an excellent navigator, according to my DH a pretty fabulous cook (both from recipe and in "throw something together out of ingredients we have on hand" mode), I am very good with remembering names (which is great because my DH is HORRIBLE at it, certainly impressed his rather large family the first time I met them all), and I'm a darn good schmoozer thanks to learning from one of the all-time greats: my mother. :lol:
Oh yes, I have very happy customerS.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1359677086|3369084 said:
:Up_to_something: ... :lol:.. are we sharing a room in Vegas?... :naughty:

D

Deactivated member 42515

Only if you bring the cash DF. I keep telling you this. Cash equals ass.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parallel parking, even though I'm female and we're supposed to be deficient in this skill.
Building/assembling/programming. Give me a technical manual and I've read the entire thing, assembled the item, triple checked it, and have it in working order in less than my own estimated time.
Math. My high school "teachers" would beg to differ, but I tested out of all required math courses going into college and I can solve any basic math problem or calculate most equations in my head faster than most. I love watching people whip out their phones to calculate tips at restaurants--I've already signed my bill and am mentally out the door by the time their phone tells them what 18% of $24.95 comes out to.
Basketball. I absolutely hate playing it, but I can sink any shot inside to out.
Public speaking. Another thing I dislike but am naturally good at. First (out of 2) declared major in college was Radio/TV/Film. Switched because...too boring.

Not good at:

Staying alive past 110 years of age.
Packing.
Making fire with a stick.
Killing any living thing directly and without remorse.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I consider myself an excellent home chef and have even dabbled in selling my soups at a local farmers market. I like making things from scratch and not filling my families bodies with junk.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
YT|1359694536|3369332 said:
Only if you bring the cash DF. I keep telling you this. Cash equals a$$.

Just ruined my new birthday iPad, with red wine no less! Freakin hell YT, you crack me up. :lol:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Jealous of all you wonderful cooks out there! I am not very good at that stuff. I think I am doing pretty good if I manage to eat 3 real meals each day. I am good at making cheesecake, though.

I am really good at my job, because I have a weird affinity for spreadsheets and tracking things, as well as thinking about things from different perspectives. I am also getting really good at researching things (am taking the Advanced Power Searching with Google class right now, and WOW! it's awesome how much you can do with Google!), which is good, since I do work in a library, but found my reference class in grad school to be sooo annoying. :rolleyes:

Other things: I read about a book a week, and am really good at figuring out mysteries (either books or television mysteries). I am freakishly good at remembering lyrics to songs. I listen to it once or twice and can suddenly sing along, and can sing harmonies. I also fancy myself a good singer (took classical voice lessons for years and years) but I'm out of practice. Love playing Rock Band on our XBox, though, and am proficient at playing 'bass' and singing at the same time, now working on playing the drums and singing simultaneously (much more difficult). I am good at strategy games like Settlers of Cataan and Ticket to Ride, and have a good mind for trivia (family plays Trivial Pursuit at gatherings).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results