shape
carat
color
clarity

What are we all reading?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just dug into Julie and Julia. It seems like it''s going to be a lot of fun. The writing is a bit hyperactive at times, but I suppose that keeps it ringing true to its blog-roots, right?

It makes me want to cook heavy French food, which is something we just do not eat here in the Haven household.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Just checking in with the A Clockwork Orange fans (Haven, Princesss, MC
35.gif
!) to say I read the whole thing this past weekend and GOSH, was it intense! It''s definitely one that will merit a reread.

Haven, what would you say your essential questions for ACO might be? Perhaps I can ponder them while I''m trying not to ponder my impending doom dentist appointment. Your approach to teaching literature sounds very interesting; I wish some of my college professors would have let us talk about the interesting and controversial stuff in our reading material a little more.

I am still trying to get through Eclipse en espanol, but I''m pretty tired of it. I''ll have to read the last book in the series in English--makes it so much more of a fun read! In other Spanish reading, I''m re-reading a collection of stories by Jorge Luis Borges--nice and compartmentalized for my poor, overloaded brain
3.gif
. Anyone else like to read in Spanish? Please let me know if you''ve read any good Spanish books that aren''t too challenging (I tried to read Love in the Time of Cholera in Spanish and it was a slooow go).

I love this thread and all the ideas I''m getting from it!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Currently I am reading my sister''s keeper - so far so good

Just finsished The five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom - beautiful but short very uplifting and I also just finshed The Book Thief - that booked moved me so well written.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just started "The Strain", written by Guillermo Del Toro (the director film Pan''s Labyrinth) and Chuck Hogan.
Early days, but so far it''s been excellent and I''m looking forward to reading more tonight.

I just finished "Animal''s People" by Indra Sinha. Different, but also very good.
Set in the slums of India, very interesting.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 3:07:13 AM
Author: kittybean
35.gif
!) to say I read the whole thing this past weekend and GOSH, was it intense! It''s definitely one that will merit a reread.

Hi KB - I''ve adored Clockwork Orange since I was a teen.
I still watch the movie and re-read the book at least once a year.

Actually, just hired the DVD from the library the other day to watch the extras - very interesting stuff!

How did you find getting accustomed to the language in the book?

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I usually read heavy philosophical books that would make most people sleep, but I''ve been very sick all summer, so I''ve gotten into reading "lighter" things.

I''ve read:

The Hour I First Believed- Wally Lamb (excellent! read "I Know This Much is True" first though as there are references to similar characters and it will make the story more intriguing because you feel like you "get" it better)

The House at Sugar Beach- Helene Cooper

Your Most Humble Servant- Shirley Graham (about Benjamin Banneker)

When You''re Engulfed in Flames- David Sedaris

Falling Leaves- Adeline Yen Mah

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 8:35:01 PM
Author: luckystar112
I''m reading When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris. I think he''s great. I''ve never read A Clockwork Orange but it''s on my list!

I love Sedaris because (and I hope this doesn''t make me sound batty) he writes like I think/talk. I always laugh thinking "that''s something I would say." Reading his work is like sitting down and having a cup of tea and talking. To myself.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 7:59:50 PM
Author: Haven
I just finished Olive Kitteridge.

Dare I say it? I think it's one of the best books I've ever read.
I'll second that, Haven. I adored that book and have told everyone I know who loves to read they must pick it up.

I finished Kitchen Confidential, I love Bourdain, he's such a character, and liked the book.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Just started on Obama''s Audacity of Hope.

Last memorable book I read was White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. - a hilarious take on social inequalities, bureaucracy, corruption and entrepreneurship in India. I''m just amazed at the writer''s ability to see the lighter side of bleak situations. I''d recommend this book to anyone.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 9:53:31 AM
Author: cellososweet
Date: 7/31/2009 8:35:01 PM

Author: luckystar112

I''m reading When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris. I think he''s great. I''ve never read A Clockwork Orange but it''s on my list!

I love Sedaris because (and I hope this doesn''t make me sound batty) he writes like I think/talk. I always laugh thinking ''that''s something I would say.'' Reading his work is like sitting down and having a cup of tea and talking. To myself.

I got introduced to Sedaris by listening to Me Talk Pretty One Day on CD. He is utterly hilarious. Now whenever I read his books I can hear his voice in my head. He has a wonderful style.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Just started "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory and am enjoying it so far. Didn''t see the movie.

Recently finished "Expecting Adam" by Martha Beck. Got mixed reviews. People question whether it''s really a memoir. I found it to be entertaining, easy to read, and thought provoking.

Saw that a few people mentioned "Middlesex." I also loved, loved, loved that book.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 3:34:59 PM
Author: CurlySue
Just started ''The Other Boleyn Girl'' by Philippa Gregory and am enjoying it so far. Didn''t see the movie.

Recently finished ''Expecting Adam'' by Martha Beck. Got mixed reviews. People question whether it''s really a memoir. I found it to be entertaining, easy to read, and thought provoking.

Saw that a few people mentioned ''Middlesex.'' I also loved, loved, loved that book.

I think I would enjoy reading this book... I loved the movie, and the book is ALWAYS better.

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/3/2009 10:59:20 AM
Author: KimberlyH

Date: 8/3/2009 9:19:31 AM
Author: kiett98
Just finished American Wife a few weeks ago on a business trip. Really enjoyed it.
I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of this book, the last 1/4 left me scratching my head a bit. It seemed the author''s intent and I''m still not sure if I enjoyed that or not.
Yes, it did seem as if the author was just rushing to put something together in the end, without as much thought and insight as the first 3/4 of the book.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 10:59:01 AM

Dare I say it? I think it''s one of the best books I''ve ever read.
I''ll second that, Haven. I adored that book and have told everyone I know who loves to read they must pick it up.

I finished Kitchen Confidential, I love Bourdain, he''s such a character, and liked the book.
I just added Bourdain''s book to my list. I really love his show, I''m excited to read this one. Thanks, Kimberly!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I just finished "Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates, the book on which the recent movie was based. I haven''t seen the movie yet, but reading it, I could picture Winslet and DiCaprio as the leads. It. Was. Depressing. Very good, and textured, but oh my god, what a bleak picture of 1950''s suburban life. It reminded me of Catcher in the Rye, in the aimlessness and hopelessness of the protagonists. I am still looking forward to seeing the movie.

Going back to my "lighter" reads now, Sookie and co. I also just picked up a book by Anita Diamant, ''The Last Days of Dogtown," which is set near my hometown.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selkie--I really like Revolutionary Road. The movie is a solid adaptation of the book, to be sure.
Definitely a downer, but man! What great writing.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 5:57:37 PM
Selkie--I really like Revolutionary Road. The movie is a solid adaptation of the book, to be sure.
Haven - I'm really not liking A Clockwork Orange. I'm only on chapter 3. Does is continue to be so violent throughout the book (if you can answer this w/out giving away the story).

For some reason I'm fine watching violent movies, it's just reading the thoughts behind them that is difficult for me to handle.

Maybe it's just the slang that's getting to me?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC--Oh no!

To answer your question, yes. It remains violent.
The biggest payoff is the end, in my opinion. It is really an incredible book, and the ending especially gives you a lot to chew on.
However, it is about ultraviolence, and I think many people cannot really stomach it.

I liked the Nadsat, it was like a puzzle I had to figure out if I was going to understand the book. I do remember getting very irritated during my first couple reads, though.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
The Kim Harrison series, about witches, vampires and werewolfs. Great mindless reading, very entertaining and totally different from everything else I''ve read. The first one is Dead Witch Walking.

I loved The Time Travelers Wife

Also reading The Memory Keeper''s Daughter

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Lillian Too: Basic Feng Shui
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 4:53:40 PM

Date: 8/5/2009 10:59:01 AM

Dare I say it? I think it''s one of the best books I''ve ever read.
I''ll second that, Haven. I adored that book and have told everyone I know who loves to read they must pick it up.

I finished Kitchen Confidential, I love Bourdain, he''s such a character, and liked the book.
I just added Bourdain''s book to my list. I really love his show, I''m excited to read this one. Thanks, Kimberly!
Haven, add Chuck Klosterman to your list of authors to read. I read Downtown Owl and loved it, have a few more of his books on order at the library.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 5:57:37 PM

Oh, excellent writing no doubt. Very vivid, and his characterizations are amazing. We have such a whitewashed image of the 1950''s and early 60''s, and it''s very interesting to see a contemporary (1961) book that completely debunks the myth of the happy, perfect nuclear family.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 6:15:54 PM
MC--Oh no!

To answer your question, yes. It remains violent.
The biggest payoff is the end, in my opinion. It is really an incredible book, and the ending especially gives you a lot to chew on.
However, it is about ultraviolence, and I think many people cannot really stomach it.

I liked the Nadsat, it was like a puzzle I had to figure out if I was going to understand the book. I do remember getting very irritated during my first couple reads, though.
Thanks for letting me know. I'm okay with some more graphic books. . .I did finish Slaughterhouse Five a few weeks back and I liked it, but I swear it gave me insomnia!

I'll stick with it for another chapter or two and see if I can handle it. Has it been banned from some HS teaching curriculums? I'm not into book banning. . .just curious. My kids have seen all of the gory Lord of the Rings movies, but for some reason it would be disturbing if they were assigned A Clockwork Orange. I wouldn't be one of the parents who protest, just would be a bit more watchful of what is being discussed, as I imagine you would know.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 3:07:13 AM
35.gif

Haven, what would you say your essential questions for ACO might be? Perhaps I can ponder them while I''m trying not to ponder my impending doom dentist appointment. Your approach to teaching literature sounds very interesting; I wish some of my college professors would have let us talk about the interesting and controversial stuff in our reading material a little more.

I am still trying to get through Eclipse en espanol, but I''m pretty tired of it. I''ll have to read the last book in the series in English--makes it so much more of a fun read! In other Spanish reading, I''m re-reading a collection of stories by Jorge Luis Borges--nice and compartmentalized for my poor, overloaded brain
3.gif
. Anyone else like to read in Spanish? Please let me know if you''ve read any good Spanish books that aren''t too challenging (I tried to read Love in the Time of Cholera in Spanish and it was a slooow go).

I love this thread and all the ideas I''m getting from it!
Oh gosh, Kittybean, you finished it? I plan to print out that list of definitions to figure out what everything means! lol Some words are obvious, but after only finishing two chapters, I''m still getting certain terminology mixed up. Not sure what to make of the violence yet. My stomach has never been made of iron.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 6:22:14 PM
Author: cnspotts
The Kim Harrison series, about witches, vampires and werewolfs. Great mindless reading, very entertaining and totally different from everything else I''ve read. The first one is Dead Witch Walking.

I loved The Time Travelers Wife

Also reading The Memory Keeper''s Daughter
Agreed. I''ve read them all except for the last one that came out in Feb. Your post reminded me to order it, so thanks!

For everyone that loves the Sookie Stackhouse books, the "Hollows" series" aka "Rachel Morgan" books by Kim Harrison are even better.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 6:50:53 PM
Author: MC
Oh gosh, Kittybean, you finished it? I plan to print out that list of definitions to figure out what everything means! lol Some words are obvious, but after only finishing two chapters, I''m still getting certain terminology mixed up. Not sure what to make of the violence yet. My stomach has never been made of iron.
I did finish ACO--I really wanted to know what happened in the end! For me, the language thing wasn''t too bad because I could figure out most of the words based on my knowledge of Ukrainian. It looked strange on the page (Ukrainian is written in the Cyrillic alphabet, like Russian), but once I said the word in my head, I could make the connection. The violence was hard to stomach for me, too. Unfortunately, it does continue throughout the book.

Apparently, the American version upon which the Stanley Kubrick film was based was missing Burgess'' last chapter. The version I bought has it, along with a foreword from the author basically saying that it was the decision of the publisher to omit the last chapter. It changes the book quite a bit! I''m interested to know what people thought of the last chapter, if they read it.

I started reading David Sedaris'' Naked today. That man is hilarious! I absolutely loved Me Talk Pretty One Day.

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
Currently reading At Least In the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream by Wade Rouse. It is so hilarious I actually had to put it away on a plane a few days ago because I was laughing so hard I was embarassed!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 7:59:09 PM

Apparently, the American version upon which the Stanley Kubrick film was based was missing Burgess'' last chapter. The version I bought has it, along with a foreword from the author basically saying that it was the decision of the publisher to omit the last chapter. It changes the book quite a bit! I''m interested to know what people thought of the last chapter, if they read it.

I started reading David Sedaris'' Naked today. That man is hilarious! I absolutely loved Me Talk Pretty One Day.
The version I bought also has the extra last chapter. I''m still plugging away at the book!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you find a copy of ACO without the last chapter, hold on to it. It might be worth something.

For anyone who has read Julie and Julia--what did you think? I''m about a third of the way through it, but I''m not sure if it''s worth it to continue reading.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 5:34:06 PM
If you find a copy of ACO without the last chapter, hold on to it. It might be worth something.

For anyone who has read Julie and Julia--what did you think? I''m about a third of the way through it, but I''m not sure if it''s worth it to continue reading.
Okay, I''ll have to look around for that in local used book stores. I''ve been ordering used books from Amazon forever and yesterday, one that was listed in "good" condition arrived in the mail. It had yellow puky stains on it. So gross that I may even toss it in the thrift store box, which I''ve only done with one other book - one that arrived in the mail smelling of ciggarette odor. Now, I plan to run into the used book store every other week and stock up on Vonnegut! lol I guess he''s their most popular author at that particular shop.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results