shape
carat
color
clarity

what are some of the items around your house...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that you wanna get rid of ??? but your SO wouldn't allow you to dump in the trash.

there are like 30 pairs of old shoes that i wanna dump in the trash but my wife say...
38.gif
!
29.gif

OMG Don''t get me started!!! Fi mom died a few years back and he was an only child. He got EVERYTHING. Every, single, little thing. It was so hard to get him ready to toss some of the stuff that needed to be tossed (stained table cloths, her half empty shampoo bottles, hair spray... things like that.) We''ve been working on this for 3 years now and I finally feel like we''ve gotten to the point of keeping the things that matter, and donating the items that others could use- which REALLY HELPED. He still has a lot of her stuff, but he packed it away in boxes and might go through them at a later date. He''s obviously really sad, but I think it really has helped. With that said... Look at this gem!

It''s a "FULL ACRE Crisis Garden" I hate this thing, but it was given to him as a gift, and so he wants to keep it. So now, when the zombies take over, we will be able to rip up our streets and sidewalks around us and build a beautiful garden
20.gif
There is absolutely pretty much no grassy area around us so we''re screwed. But it''s ok. This year from the same person, he was given a telescoping fishing pole and net, so we can fish in the toxic crisis waters if we want as well. It''s on a shelf, and I show people as a joke... and everyone laughs. But they don''t have to dust it!

gardensb.jpg

Oh. And this thing. It was given to him by the same person/ people from above.... while we were out to dinner, and they pretty much forced him to try it on in the middle of dinner.
3.gif
I hate this thing.

hatsb.jpg

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
No, don''t get rid of THE thing...he is going to have to wear it to defend his full acre of food. A 24 hour watch...Mad Max like. That head gear is going to scare off the thieves. That guy is a NUTT!

These friends are truly looking out for you. They''ve got your backs! And your FI''s head.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have his entire office full of random computers, computer parts, monitors, gauges, cords, cables, motherboards, routers, etc. I secretly want all of this broken crap to go, but its in his office so I can''t say anything.
41.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, almost nothing. According to him a hoarder (we own two sets of wine glasses and I have 30 pairs of shoes - gasp!). I wish he had less cables but they''re all neatly organised and all of them have a purpose.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of books that I would like to get rid of. They are the really old ones having titles no one has ever heard of or cared about, but he likes them because they are old and "look cool". He also has some stuff that came from his granparents house when they both died. I feel terrible asking him to get rid of these things even though he knows they are ugly too. Maybe they will get "misplaced" when we move. He also has a Molson Ice mirror. It is a canadian beer that is his favorite and bought this mirror from our local liquor store. He also has an old Jerry Seinfeld poster from before he had the show. He refuses to get rid of it. And the one last thing that really is a sore subject for me is a box of pictures and letters from his ex. It drives me nuts! He said that he will not get rid of it in case his daughter wants it one day. I guess I can understand that, but I doubt she will want all that crap.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. DH has all sorts of stuff from his bachelor days that I'm DYING to get rid of, but he refuses. His reason? "I've had it for eight/ten/twelve years." As though that's a good reason to keep two TVs that no longer work without the converter boxes, and which have been sitting untouched in our closets for two years, taking up valuable storage space. Or the mismatched dishware he inherited from the previous tenant at old apartment, even though we got a beautiful new set for the wedding. Or our mattress, for heaven's sake...having it for ten years is the reason it should go! That, and it gives me backaches. The ratty old futon is an eyesore and takes up too much space, but I don't complain so much about that because it's nice to have the extra seating. It won't be coming with us when we move next time, though.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
DH owns about 6 basketballs. I understand he needs one for indoor games and one for outdoor games, but I''m not really sure what the other 4 are doing.

DH''s canoe. Now, I don''t have a problem with a canoe in general, and I would love if we could actually use it, but it sits in our small garage taking up a ton of space and we haven''t used it in the year since we brought it from his mom''s house.

DH''s poster from the movie The Burbs (basically a big picture of Tom Hanks in pjs). He actually wanted to hang it up in our house
6.gif
but I told him he could hang it in the garage
20.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
DH has a box of stuff from high school, including a piece of toast glued to cardboard, which he still finds very amusing. He also has his law school notes which I know he''ll never use (they''re 20 yrs old), but he wants to keep because he thinks they''re brilliantly outlined. I can''t really complain though, becuase he has gotten rid of tons of stuff at my request. He''s much more sentimental than I am, and I can''t stand clutter, so you can imagine some of our conversations!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
A full bar size dart board. The electric wiring needs connected *somewhere* and someday it will be fixed. It''s useless now, but I will fix it.
I''m guilty of old shoes - especially of the summer variety.
Christmas crap.
Old electronics.
Too many, way too many clothes.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
My FI owns a small wind-up blue bunny that "poops" jelly beans. When we were cleaning out the kitchen before we renovated it, I tried to throw it out. He flipped and insisted he must keep it. Now whenever I see it (it''s tucked away in a drawer), it drives me BONKERS.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
SO has a moose hat rack his mother made for him when he was what.... 5? He wont'' get rid of it... he wanted it in our living room
23.gif
23.gif
20.gif
20.gif
. I told him he can keep it for our son some day but it''s in a closet.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mainly random stuff like cords, tools, blank discs, clipboards, safety goggles, and other various things I find stuffed into drawers.
20.gif
I wouldn't mind them if they were kept out in the garage or the basement though.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
7 guitars (3 Acoustic/4 Electric packed away snuggly in their ENORMOUS cases
20.gif
), three amps, two bikes...we have no room for these but FI forces me to MAKE ROOM.

Thank God the drum set is set up elsewhere. Oh, and did I mention, we live in a smallish 1brdm?
11.gif

eta: I would never want to dump his musical equipment, but we certainly we need more room. Closet space? What's that???

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 11:07:04 AM
Author: CurlySue
My FI owns a small wind-up blue bunny that ''poops'' jelly beans. When we were cleaning out the kitchen before we renovated it, I tried to throw it out. He flipped and insisted he must keep it. Now whenever I see it (it''s tucked away in a drawer), it drives me BONKERS.
I think I might be with him on this. That sounds so cute. It would probably make me giggle. Do you get it out on Easter?

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 2:10:29 PM
Author: radiantquest

My FI owns a small wind-up blue bunny that ''poops'' jelly beans. When we were cleaning out the kitchen before we renovated it, I tried to throw it out. He flipped and insisted he must keep it. Now whenever I see it (it''s tucked away in a drawer), it drives me BONKERS.
I think I might be with him on this. That sounds so cute. It would probably make me giggle. Do you get it out on Easter?
Hahaha... I know, I know... I''m being kind of an Easter Grinch, aren''t I?

The thing is that NO, we never take it out. It just sits in this drawer taking up space. I didn''t even know he had it until we started cleaning out the kitchen. To be honest, I think he forgot he owned it! So when he was adamant about keeping it, I was a bit baffled.

Thankfully, it''s not life-sized.
1.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
The pool table we haven''t used in over 2 years, and the project car that was supposed to be finished and sold before we started trying for a baby. The baby''s turning 1 today
38.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... nothing? FI has a load of stuff he'd like me to get rid of, but I'm not gonna! If it has a space on the shelves and the place doesn't look cluttered...

I like my stuff. I like stuff.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy birthday jr MustangGal!!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''m the packrat in our relationship, although we did have a couch that dh bought at a yard sale when we were first moving in that I HATED from the start, but we finally got rid of it after 2 years of me complaining.

If I had my way, I would toss out all the video games though
23.gif
!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d love to throw out my husband''s box of random college stuff and a big box of TV cables that we have no need for. Actually though, I have WAY more random boxes of stuff than my husband, so I shouldn''t complain.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is reminding me that we (I) have a lot of spring cleaning to do. I *want* to get it done but I keep putting it off. I guess I should say that I want it to be done but I don''t want to be the one to do it.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think we might have finally gotten rid of it...or it''s in hiding: DH''s mom gave him a bottle of I think rum? some kind of liquor from Thailand...with 2 baby snakes in it. One snake was holding the other snake in its mouth.

Yes, there was a cool factor there...but the scare factor is just too much for me. Otherwise, we really don''t keep things around that we don''t need or use. Small house and both of us are obsessed with giving things we don''t need to Goodwill. I''m the kind of person who has actually given things away and then realized a year later that I need whatever item I gave away and need to buy a new one. Sigh.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My name is packrat here but HE''s the packrat in the marriage. By far. When I was at his house helping him pack stuff for the move to this house before we got married, he had an extra bedroom in his house-for magazines, catalogs, books. Some catalogs were 10 years old. Dude, do you NEED a Sportsman''s Guide from THAT long ago? Seriously?? Well, yes as a matter of fact he DID b/c he likes to "research" and keep track of what things cost. I tossed out everything I could when he wasn''t looking. He has huge tubs in the attic of his garage full to the brim of old Maxims and..there was another guy magazine out at the same time but I forget what it was. Anyway, gun magazines, hunting, fishing magazines etc. It''s magazine freaking overload. TUBS FULL. I allow him an end table in the house (which actually stores quite a lot) and when I can''t open it to shove something in and shut it fast enough before everything falls out, he has to go thru it or I threaten that I''LL go thru it and I know he won''t like that.

I can not handle clutter. I can''t. I''ve gotten to where I''ve been getting rid of *my* things, my precious books and some of my clothes and shoes, to make room for his stuff. (and the kids'' toys) Not fair. He''s got a 2 1/2 car garage with attic, a lean-to off that garage, part of my front garage, his bathroom downstairs, part of the closet under the stairs, a huge reloading and storage bench and a huge gun closet, plus 1/2 the closet and drawer space in our bedroom. I have our bedroom and a few bookshelves and small random storage. It''s crazy.
41.gif

Date: 2/12/2010 8:56:35 AM
Author: CasaBlanca
No, don''t get rid of THE thing...he is going to have to wear it to defend his full acre of food. A 24 hour watch...Mad Max like. That head gear is going to scare off the thieves. That guy is a NUTT!

These friends are truly looking out for you. They''ve got your backs! And your FI''s head.

He was also given a compass (military grade) a sleeping bag rated to below zero, a air bed thingy, and a library book from the 70''s on fishing.. with the $1 something receipt included inside of it.

We will be soooo prepared for zombie disaster!

1.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We also have MRE''s in the attic, so although we don''t have a garden in a can, we do have a little food ready for when the Zombie''s attack!

NY Princess

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 8:56:35 AM
Author: CasaBlanca

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 10:22:37 AM
Author: elrohwen
DH owns about 6 basketballs. I understand he needs one for indoor games and one for outdoor games, but I''m not really sure what the other 4 are doing.

DH''s canoe. Now, I don''t have a problem with a canoe in general, and I would love if we could actually use it, but it sits in our small garage taking up a ton of space and we haven''t used it in the year since we brought it from his mom''s house.

DH''s poster from the movie The Burbs (basically a big picture of Tom Hanks in pjs). He actually wanted to hang it up in our house
6.gif
but I told him he could hang it in the garage
20.gif
that''s where i tell my husband he can hang all his stupid stuff. my basement currently has a few frat-tastic posters from his college days, and all his old beer mirrors from bars and such have been banished from the upper levels of our home.

personally, i want to get rid of all our "beach" themed decorations my husband has. anything with a palm tree on it or fish was hung before we met. i''ve gotten most down, but he still hangs on to a few. he has this "glorious" lamp thing that lights up and makes the waves look like they are moving. he got it a gas station, and refuses to let me get rid of it.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
my husband has a reindeer who does the same thing! given to him by my younger sister (thanks, sis.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results