shape
carat
color
clarity

Wellness cat food Recall

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting this.

We don't have a cat, but we do feed our dog Wellness food. I'm very impressed that the company did a recall because they thought the level of thiamine in the food was low. I thought for sure it would be some sort of arsenic or chemical that they found in the food. This letter makes me feel like they really care and are interested in putting out the best product possible for our pets.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Prana|1299008978|2862325 said:
Thanks for posting this.

We don't have a cat, but we do feed our dog Wellness food. I'm very impressed that the company did a recall because they thought the level of thiamine in the food was low. I thought for sure it would be some sort of arsenic or chemical that they found in the food. This letter makes me feel like they really care and are interested in putting out the best product possible for our pets.

I feed wellness to the dogs too, they are a great company and their bottom line isn't always their profit.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, that freaked me out for a second! I feed my cat Wellness, but it's dry.
Thanks for posting this!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have more than 3 cases with the indicated recall numbers...on hold with them now.

MoZo

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thats for posting,

Oh no, I just over the last few weeks switched my kitens from royal canin kitten to adult version wellness indoor health. I did tons of research and since they are turning 1 very soon and won't eat wet at all I thought it was a good choice. And they love it.

Would you all be worried about the dry? I choose WEllness not only for nutrition but because of the lack of recall history. My girls have had issues with sensitive stomachs so I really don't want to switch them again. But I'm concerned that with other recalls such as Iams, when one food is recalled, it just seems to expand.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Asscherisme, I wouldn't worry about feeding the Wellness dry (or the Wellness wet, actually). The pet food recalls are enough to drive you crazy, though.

My cats get a mix of dry (including EVO, Wysong Uretic, Wellness Weight Management, Chicken Soup Senior). Their daily wet food is either California Natural, EVO, Innova, and occasionally Trader Joe's. I feed a mix because of the recalls - if one of their foods would happen to be recalled it would be only 1 quarter of their daily intake. Though I'm afraid to feed any one food exclusively, I trust the above brands not to poison my cats.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I have a few cans in this production range. Will be getting rid of them. I think the concern is for cats that are exculsively fed the affected canned food. I feed a mix of wet and dry, so I'm not too worried, but will replaced affected cans anyway....

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1299058318|2862775 said:
Asscherisme, I wouldn't worry about feeding the Wellness dry (or the Wellness wet, actually). The pet food recalls are enough to drive you crazy, though.

My cats get a mix of dry (including EVO, Wysong Uretic, Wellness Weight Management, Chicken Soup Senior). Their daily wet food is either California Natural, EVO, Innova, and occasionally Trader Joe's. I feed a mix because of the recalls - if one of their foods would happen to be recalled it would be only 1 quarter of their daily intake. Though I'm afraid to feed any one food exclusively, I trust the above brands not to poison my cats.

LAJennifer, what you said makes a lot of sense. As I said, I just switched them over, taking 3 weeks to gradually make the transition, slowly adding in more and more wellness until they were 100%. I think I am going to give them a few weeks to settle on that and gradually intruduce something else so that they are eating a 50/50 mix of 2 brands. And yes, the recall thing is driving me nuts.

When I first got my kittens, the breeder had them on eukanuba and that was recalled so I put them on royal canin. They I decided to stay away from corn and was looking for a good quality so I settled on Wellness.

One of my girls has he potential to get chubby and I have heard great things about evo but it has so many calories. I noticed you also use a weight control in the mix. What do you think of the calories in evo?

I have heard good things about dr. foster/smith cat food and have thought about that one.

Hmm, going to have to think about this one. But I am definately going to get them on some sort of 50/50 mix.

My kids and I are so attached to them and I have a big fear of them getting sick because of food that I feed them. My brothers dog almost died a few years ago in that food recall that contained poisen from China.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the recall was specific that it was because of a LACK of a particular ingredient. the cat food is NOT harmful and one could continue to feed it. this is NOT a recall because of nasty bacteria. however, it does mean a cat could not be getting enough of this particular nutrient in its diet which over time could be a concern. read the article: it was specifically for canned food only. no need to get upset because this manufacturer did the right thing.

wellness is one of the best canned products on the market. however, i have 4 cases and 3 cans that will be returned as they are in the recall criteria. the contact i spoke with yesterday was very helpful. they'll be sending me a label with instructions for returning the cans. they are not yet sure if they will be giving cash back or coupons.

also, checkout this brand of cat food: ASMIRA. i've ordered a couple of cases to try out. also, checkout the woman who developed it and why. i had no idea that there is no law keeping euthanized pets out of cat food!

MoZo

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Good points mozo. I will definately continue with the wellness indoor health. But I think I am still going to do a 50/50 thing with another quality food so that if one has issues, it will impact my cats less.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have at a minimum of 10 different brands of cat food on hand at all times. our cats are an aging population. they have health issues. life threatening. when push comes to shove as it did in december when one of our cats came home to die, i'll feed them anything to keep them eating. better crap food than no food in that instance.

i've ordered the two cases of Asmira because 1-it is a higher quality food than even wellness and i want to see if my cats will go for it and 2-it is a stand alone or mix with other things forumula. check it out.

even within the wellness line i had 4 different "flavors"......and again not to mention the other evo, innova, pet guard, and sundry other "GOOD" foods that i had researched. i am a big proponent of cats having choices.

MoZo

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feed my cats Wellness Core dry and wet food but didn't have any of the affected cans on hand. I would like to add in other food brands but I tried a ton of different wet foods a while back and they don't like any of them nearly as much as the Wellness Core. They mostly like poultry-based foods. Any recommendations for other wet foods to mix in their diet?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, geez, thanks for the reminder: i have 1.5 cases of wellness core with the effected dates! back on the phone to see if that needs returning as well.

ok, just off the phone: wellness core is also part of the recall. i have 38 cans of that also to be returned.

the representative said i will receive coupons with no expiration date to get a replacement for each can i am returning.

MoZo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results