shape
carat
color
clarity

Wellington still hasn''t gone to the bathroom - very worried

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Wondering if this isn''t such a good idea. I went over there this morning and he still hasn''t gone potty. He did eat for me - and actually came out briefly from under the dresser. I gave him acepromazine (sedative) to see if I can pull him out and put him in the litter box. It takes about 3 hours to kick in.

If he won''t eat for my friend (he will while I''m there - even let her pet him). I''m just afraid what will happen when I am gone for 3 weeks. Maybe I should release him? What do you all think? I leave very early Saturday morning.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
When I''ve taken in cats, it usually takes them at least two or three days to acclimate to the new surroundings and to get comfortable eating and roaming around, and they always spend that time in some hidey-hole. I''m not exactly sure of your time line-it sounds like you brought him to your friend''s last night? I wouldn''t be concerned yet about him not using the box, especially if he hasn''t eaten much. It sounds like he''s behaving quite naturally-he''s interacting with you, has eaten some, and doesn''t appear sick, so I think he''s just adapting. Give it until tomorrow before getting concerned. I don''t think giving him the sedative is necessary, and may even slow things down more. Is your friend able to take the time to sit quietly with him and let him adjust to her?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Cats do generally take a few days to adjust. I wouldn''t give him sedative unless he''s freaking out. As long as he is drinking, and eating a little, he should be fine. He''s not used to being near your friend, so that will take a bit.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might try putting some dirt in the litter box so that he knows what it's for. How long has he been inside?

ETA: I just read your other thread. I would put him in a small bathroom, if possible, with a litter box with mostly dirt in it, shut the door, and I'm sure he'll figure it out. It sounds like he's afraid to come out from underneath the dresser and just needs some time to check things out. In a bathroom, he'd have less to check out and will hopefully take care of business. In the future, I'd add litter to the box, with a small amount of dirt to help him realize that the litter box is where he is supposed to go.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer,

My first thought is absolutely do NOT release him! You''ll just have to do this all over again, AND my biggest worry is for his safety when he is roaming outside. He is at high risk for all sorts of dangers when he is outside. As it is, you have the trauma of the "catch" behind you, and are starting to build his new, forever life indoors. Releasing him now would undo all your good (hard) work, AND may make him wiser and possibly even uncatchable next time.

I wouldn''t panic about the litterbox YET. When Bentley first came home, he didn''t poo for the looongest time, although he did pee. Maybe Wellington has peed somewhere else? HAve you looked around the room? That''s probably doubtful, but I''m just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Perhaps you should ask the vet what is the longest safe timespan that a cat can go without peeing or pooing. I''ll bet Wellington is completely fine and will use the litterbox soon. Please keep us posted.

xoxox!
Lynn

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering if his litterbox has a cover? If not, maybe he would like that because he would feel protected.....

edited to say I just read that a low, large litter box is best for feral cats.... you proabably knew that already....

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Boy, what a difference a day makes. Wellington is FINE!!! I put some dirt in the litter box and he came right out and popped a squat. Then he decided to explore the room and come over to me and convince me to rub his tummy.

I could also tell that he had eaten more food while I was away.

I posted for advice on a yahoo group to KittenRescue.org

People were calling me immediately to let me know what he was doing (or wasn''t doing) was absolutely normal. Actually, they said he was way ahead than most given his situation. A very kind lady loaned me a 2 level kitty condo/kennel that she had bought for the sole purpose of loaning out. It has never been opened. It is very big, so I''m going to put it together for him tomorrow. She said to cover it with a sheet so that he feels safe. Kel, can uncover it when she is present and try to pet and play with him.

I really think he likes being indoors. He is kind of lazy, and now doesn''t have to fight for a place to sleep.

Thanks again to all of you!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 9:09:46 PM
Author: LAJennifer
Boy, what a difference a day makes. Wellington is FINE!!! I put some dirt in the litter box and he came right out and popped a squat. Then he decided to explore the room and come over to me and convince me to rub his tummy.

I could also tell that he had eaten more food while I was away.

I posted for advice on a yahoo group to KittenRescue.org

People were calling me immediately to let me know what he was doing (or wasn''t doing) was absolutely normal. Actually, they said he was way ahead than most given his situation. A very kind lady loaned me a 2 level kitty condo/kennel that she had bought for the sole purpose of loaning out. It has never been opened. It is very big, so I''m going to put it together for him tomorrow. She said to cover it with a sheet so that he feels safe. Kel, can uncover it when she is present and try to pet and play with him.

I really think he likes being indoors. He is kind of lazy, and now doesn''t have to fight for a place to sleep.

Thanks again to all of you!

Ohmy!!! I am a little misty-eyed reading that!!! What a WONDERFUL update! I am sooooo happy to hear that he is doing so well! I have often read that rescued kitties sometimes just seem to KNOW when they''ve been rescued, and that they are now *safe*... and it sounds like Wellington knows that! I have EVERY CONFIDENCE, Jennifer, that that sweet boy will repay you 100-fold for your love and care to him. What a HAPPY STORY!!!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear the issues have been resolved. You''re a good person to help Wellington.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Im sorry i wasnt any help, but im so glad Wellington is doing well now. I think he''ll be fine - but of course very happy to see you when you come back
21.gif

We just got a rescue kitty, we''ve had her for almost five days and until today she hadnt really eaten a thing
6.gif
she''d drink, but wouldnt eat anything we gave her...anyways about an hour ago she had some kibble so im hoping she''s ready to eat up big
21.gif

Good luck with Wellington , LaJen, and thanks for keeping us posted, im always so happy to hear how he''s doing
35.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Lulu.

Blackpaw - Kel just called and said he ate some treats out of her hand. He is going to be fine. I''m so happy. And good luck to you and your little one. I''m sure she knows you love her. Maybe you can show us some pics . . .

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I totally believe that rescue kitties always know who saved ''em and are always grateful. My Bentley was a pound kitty who my best friend adopted, and when she had to move away, I took him from her. I''m pretty sure he was abused before my BFF adopted him based on some of the strange phobias he has and whatnot, but he adores me like I''m the Golden God of Poultry or something--that cat follows on my heels so closely that you''d think he was an AKC show dog! Thank you over and over again for taking in a stray (I automatically love anyone who rescues animals!!!), and it sounds to me like he''s well on his way to being a big sweet love bug that you won''t be able to get off your lap! Having taken in a number of strays and even a few who were completely wild, I can tell you from experience that it can be a long, hard road, and he sounds like he''s adapting superbly!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I am another one tearing up!! I am sooo happy to hear your boy is doing well!! It sounds like he is adjusting and I know you are going to feel so much better when you have to leave.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Doodle - I truly believed it would take 6 months (from when I met him) to get to where we are now. Yes, I think he is adjusting very, very well.

Siamese - You have no idea the relief I now feel. Huge weight lifted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results