shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird question - does this happen to you?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone else ever have a problem with completing a yawn? Like feeling like you need to yawn all.the.time. but not being able to do so? It happens to me on occasion and when it does it goes on for weeks at a time. I'm currently on week 3 right now.

I know this is a weird question, but I'm hoping that someone here may have some answers. I've done quite a bit of research on this and it seems like there are a lot of folks who have the same issue, but no one has yet to get any real answers from their MD about what causes it.

I've read that it could be caused from anything from stress, anxiety, hyperventilation to GERD or asthma. I will admit that if I take an Ativan (anti-anxiety med) it does help, but I'm wondering if it's just taking my mind off of it and not really acting as an anti-anxiety fix.

It's very frustrating and annoying, let alone that I'm sure it sends a message to everyone around me that I'm bored with them. When I do actually get a nice complete yawn in it's so refreshing/satisfying and I think maybe the episode is over, but unfortunately the same feeling comes back within a few minutes.

Any insight greatly appreciated. Thanks.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Weird! No, I don't recall it ever really happening to me..if it did it wasn't often enough to register as an actual "occurrence". I have a strange issue where sometimes I can't swallow, but nothing w/the yawning! I can't even type it w/out yawning, apparently.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1399595642|3668718 said:
Does anyone else ever have a problem with completing a yawn? Like feeling like you need to yawn all.the.time. but not being able to do so? It happens to me on occasion and when it does it goes on for weeks at a time. I'm currently on week 3 right now.

I know this is a weird question, but I'm hoping that someone here may have some answers. I've done quite a bit of research on this and it seems like there are a lot of folks who have the same issue, but no one has yet to get any real answers from their MD about what causes it.

I've read that it could be caused from anything from stress, anxiety, hyperventilation to GERD or asthma. I will admit that if I take an Ativan (anti-anxiety med) it does help, but I'm wondering if it's just taking my mind off of it and not really acting as an anti-anxiety fix.

It's very frustrating and annoying, let alone that I'm sure it sends a message to everyone around me that I'm bored with them. When I do actually get a nice complete yawn in it's so refreshing/satisfying and I think maybe the episode is over, but unfortunately the same feeling comes back within a few minutes.

I dealt with this in high school and college and in my case, it was caused by anxiety. I was a competitive swimmer and prior to a race, I would yawn compulsively but could never "get the air" so to speak. I would open my mouth but the air wouldn't fill my lungs. And naturally, the more I would focus on it, the worse it was. It got to the point that I thought I was asthmatic and saw a doctor but they found nothing wrong. At that time nobody mentioned the stress/anxiety angle, but considering it doesn't happen to me anymore I figure that's what it was.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That must be frustrating, Lil Misfit. I haven't heard of that problem and definitely don't have it. I yawned 5 times while reading your post and the responses to it. For me, yawns are contagious. I see a yawn or read about it => I spontaneously do it.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
No, but I have to be careful when I yawn. It even happened today. I yawn, and I stretch my face too much, and then experience severe pain for five minutes from my chin to my ears.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky56|1399625424|3668908 said:
No, but I have to be careful when I yawn. It even happened today. I yawn, and I stretch my face too much, and then experience severe pain for five minutes from my chin to my ears.

Is that part of TMJ Sky?

Lil Misfit, I never had that happen before except for now while I am undergoing a 24 ph impedance test. I cannot yawn but primarily I think it is because I have a tube going down my throat and up my nose and moving my mouth at all is very painful right now. I hope I can go back to yawning as soon as this is out. I feel for you because not being able to yawn right now (especially when I am so tired) is not fun. I like a good yawn and can imagine how frustrating that must be for you. (((Hugs))).

As for the GERD angle that's interesting. It seems doctors like to blame anxiety for most things they cannot explain and GERD for the rest of the stuff they cannot explain! How much of that applies I don't know but the fact that an anti anxiety helps you makes me think it might be anxiety vs GERD because I believe anti anxiety meds make acid reflux (and hence their symptoms) worse.
Have you tried meditation and/or relaxation techniques to see if that helps at all?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking that there is some medical reason, like acidosis, or low blood O2 or too-high CO2 or anemia. Or something with the breathing technique, like a bit of chronic hyperventilation (that leads to Co2 not getting expelled.) Maybe even acid reflux. I'd say maybe call your doctor and see if they recommend getting bloodwork done. I vaguely remember it being discussed in RN school.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Constant-Urge-to-Take-Deep-Breaths/show/552837 Lots of ideas in that discussion.

Acidosis: http://www.diethealthclub.com/health-issues-and-diet/acidosis.html

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1399632962|3668933 said:
I'm thinking that there is some medical reason, like acidosis, or low blood O2 or too-high CO2 or anemia. Or something with the breathing technique, like a bit of chronic hyperventilation (that leads to Co2 not getting expelled.) Maybe even acid reflux. I'd say maybe call your doctor and see if they recommend getting bloodwork done. I vaguely remember it being discussed in RN school.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Constant-Urge-to-Take-Deep-Breaths/show/552837 Lots of ideas in that discussion.

Acidosis: http://www.diethealthclub.com/health-issues-and-diet/acidosis.html

Good advice.
Now to figure out what the "not being able to swallow" is.
I always think of it as a temporary brain glitch.

good luck, TC1987

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Missy, big bear hug for you! I'm sending you healing & healthy brain waves -- they are on their way to you now. :)) :)) :wavey:

Lil Misfit, if nothing else turns up & you do find anti-anxiety meds help, why not give yoga or qi gong a try? I've banished tension headaches by doing 45 min. of yoga every morning (and a lot of other aches & pains). There is nothing more calming than qi gong -- I use a dvd by Lee Holden, recommended to me by an old friend who taught all those disciplines. It's heavenly, even if you don't buy the stuff about medians, etc. Worth a shot, at least. Sounds like an annoying problem. Good luck!

--- Laurie

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Now that you mention it, yes, it happens all the time. I have general anxiety and am very stressed right now (training for a new job). The mouth opens and...nothing. What I have been doing is manually completing the yawn, or yawning with my mouth closed. I had no idea it has a stress component to it. Interesting. Well just know you are not alone... :))

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
hi missy - I don't have TMJ, my dentist says my jaw is normal. I think I just stretch the whole area too far sometimes when I yawn, then it really hurts and then the pain completely disappears.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1399601479|3668798 said:
Weird! No, I don't recall it ever really happening to me..if it did it wasn't often enough to register as an actual "occurrence". I have a strange issue where sometimes I can't swallow, but nothing w/the yawning! I can't even type it w/out yawning, apparently.

Does this happen especially when eating or drinking and feel like no matter what you do the food won't go down or up? If so, I have something similar happen. It is awful! Sometimes even when I'm not eating.

Yawning -- Yes that happens to me too. Gets worse when I notice it until I flat out can't seem to breathe. Mine seems to be stress related.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1399595642|3668718 said:

Oh my goodness, yes!! I think I know exactly what you mean - you *need* a deep breath and the timing on the yawn or something just won't let that gulp of air come in properly! I am fortunate in that it only seems to happen to me after I've eaten wayyy too much, so it's easy enough to avoid, but when it does the only thing that seems to 'fix' it is distracting myself to the point of forgetting about it! :sick:

I occasionally get the Sneeze That Couldn't, as well, but I haven't found any patterns with that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1399653862|3669105 said:

Does this happen especially when eating or drinking and feel like no matter what you do the food won't go down or up? If so, I have something similar happen. It is awful! Sometimes even when I'm not eating.

Yawning -- Yes that happens to me too. Gets worse when I notice it until I flat out can't seem to breathe. Mine seems to be stress related.

Yes, it's a weird thing that happens. Sometimes when I'm trying to take a pill. Sometimes when I'm eating or drinking. Sometimes when I'm just swallowing, like when you have too much spit in your mouth. That's gross, sorry.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1399680204|3669391 said:
Yes, it's a weird thing that happens. Sometimes when I'm trying to take a pill. Sometimes when I'm eating or drinking. Sometimes when I'm just swallowing, like when you have too much spit in your mouth. That's gross, sorry.

Packrat, this happens to me too. I first noticed it about 12 years ago and I believe it is anxiety related (for me, anyway). Sometimes when I'm eating (in a social group), I can't swallow my food - I just chew and chew and chew. Somehow, being aware that you need to swallow, makes it impossible to swallow.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1399680204|3669391 said:
TooPatient|1399653862|3669105 said:

Horrible!

I actually get so bad sometimes that I vomit. Nothing quite like that during dinner :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results