shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving! I had our daughter last Friday, so I am over the moon thankful! And I lost 6 lb 13 oz :wink2:

I don't know if this has already been said, but here's a thought: It's ok if you decide to splurge during the big meal but make the decision to only splurge on that ONE meal. After all, even if you ate every single delicious casserole, smothered your dark meat and mashed potatoes with gravy, and had a huge piece of pecan pie with ice cream, one pound equals 3500 calories. So that one meal is only gonna cost you a pound, maybe two. It's the leftovers that get us!! Do not go back for seconds,graze all day, or eat it all again for dinner and tomorrow's lunch. Treat yourself with no guilt, and then return to your good habits!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to suggest swimming - maybe good for plantar fasciitis? ie. less stress on feet and joints etc, no rubbing or chaffing too.
If you went to a local indoor pool you could swim laps at your own pace, in whatever stroke you liked; all year round. I'm sure a dozen laps each day would greatly help with cardio and weight loss. Plus I find it mentally very soothing - being in your own quiet little world underwater. I think it's very calming. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guilty Pleasure|1417125526|3791400 said:
I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving! I had our daughter last Friday, so I am over the moon thankful! And I lost 6 lb 13 oz :wink2:

I don't know if this has already been said, but here's a thought: It's ok if you decide to splurge during the big meal but make the decision to only splurge on that ONE meal. After all, even if you ate every single delicious casserole, smothered your dark meat and mashed potatoes with gravy, and had a huge piece of pecan pie with ice cream, one pound equals 3500 calories. So that one meal is only gonna cost you a pound, maybe two. It's the leftovers that get us!! Do not go back for seconds,graze all day, or eat it all again for dinner and tomorrow's lunch. Treat yourself with no guilt, and then return to your good habits!

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter Guilty Pleasure!!! What a wonderful thanksgiving for you guys! :appl:
I love leftovers and cannot resist oh well. I am weak haha.

diamondrnglover said:
No exercise or walking for me..but hubby had surgery on Friday and I been running myself to death trying to help him, do the chores and work 10 hour days..I am too tired to walk and my back is killing me...I have 22 people coming for Thanksgiving and I been working for days after work to get ready..so I say I have had plenty of exercise lol, hopefully things will get back to normally and I wont have to work so much after Thanksgiving.

Diamondrnglover, hoping your dh has a speedy recovery and I hope you are having a happy thanksgiving!

TooPatient, I am glad you are doing so well and woohoo on not needing the back brace today!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy!

Just back from doing 2.2 miles on the track. "Only" 20 degrees...

I brought our pulse oximeter with to keep an eye on my body while we were exercising. Discovered Friday night that my "resting" heart rate is about 90-95 bpm and just walking down the hall in our house sends it up to 105+.
Did great the first 1.6 miles but had to slow down the pace for the rest to keep my heart rate in a healthy range. (aiming for 80% of maximum heart rate but I ended up closer to 90% when we slowed down)

Skipped Friday and Saturday. 7 hours on my feet setting up tables, helping with cooking, doing dishes, etc on Thursday. Was up and at the store by 7am Friday to get the natural free range turkeys we like for $0.99/pound then off and running to do our full out turkey dinner from scratch.
I figure the hours of cooking & cleaning offset the missed exercise enough to not worry.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Big exercise weekend for me! Friday, I played racquetball for an hour, and swam for a little over an hour. Saturday, I played racquetball for another hour, elliptical for 30 minutes, and swimming for an hour and 15 minutes. Today's gonna be a light day with an hour of yoga, and some lightweight lifting. That's all on top of cleaning and cooking and hosting duties for the holiday. I forgot how great it can feel to get a good workout!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guilty Pleasure|1417125526|3791400 said:

Guilty Pleasure, many congratulations on the safe arrival of your daughter! I am so happy for you! :appl:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum|1417132373|3791438 said:
Just wanted to suggest swimming - maybe good for plantar fasciitis? ie. less stress on feet and joints etc, no rubbing or chaffing too.
If you went to a local indoor pool you could swim laps at your own pace, in whatever stroke you liked; all year round. I'm sure a dozen laps each day would greatly help with cardio and weight loss. Plus I find it mentally very soothing - being in your own quiet little world underwater. I think it's very calming. :wavey:

Hi HotPozzum, thanks for your advice! I really love swimming, but there is no year-round public pool near me. There is one that's open for about 10 weeks in the summer, which is such a treat, but no pool apart from that. It's such a pity because I agree with everything you say about how good swimming is for you, including the fasciitis.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is doing so well with their healthy living! :dance:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Short exercise this morning. 21 degrees outside...
Did 1.2 miles on the track.
Have another .5 miles total I'll do down/up hill from the parking lot to/from class this evening.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I'm about your height and was about your weight last year. Down a bit from there but have a ways to go. Just started weight watchers last week again for the millionth time, lol.

My kids are 6, 4 & 4, so I can't keep calling it baby weight, lol. It's like, 1st grader weight!!

Good luck! We can trade ideas here if ya want :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is everyone doing this weekend?

DH & I just finished 2 miles. I'm making oatmeal with almond milk and some toasted pecans for breakfast.
Haven't gotten on the scale this week. Just trying to keep our exercise consistent and not push myself past a healthy heart rate.
I was at 143 bpm at the end of our 2 miles. I had t slow the pace a bit for the last mile to keep from spiking into an unhealthy range.

Better than last week!

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Ive been doing protein shakes for breakfast, its not a place where I usually use a lot of calories, but 170 cals works and the protein keeps me full until later morning when I do a piece of fruit. This weekend, besides the shakes was a little harder to navigate. I had dinner with friends, a cookie swap and holiday party and a date..but I managed to make good choices minus the few cookies I munched while baking. I also gave away my cookie swap haul to a friend. I still have not found time to exercise, but I am hoping to Spin this week a couple times.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Ive been doing protein shakes for breakfast, its not a place where I usually use a lot of calories, but 170 cals works and the protein keeps me full until later morning when I do a piece of fruit. This weekend, besides the shakes was a little harder to navigate. I had dinner with friends, a cookie swap and holiday party and a date..but I managed to make good choices minus the few cookies I munched while baking. I also gave away my cookie swap haul to a friend. I still have not found time to exercise, but I am hoping to Spin this week a couple times.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yum! BIG dinner with low calories :appl:

Dinner: 1 pound baby carrots, lightly cooked with fresh lemon juice (I did 2.5 pounds for the 3 of us...)
Plus freshly smoked turkey breast, 4 onions for the 3 of us (slow cook with 1Tbsp olive oil until all caramelized), and a little bit of Yukon gold potato.

Carrots are VERY filling! Great way to feel full without over doing the calories -- my dinner plate came in at 362 calories (including a glass of red wine!)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
treysar|1417622089|3794524 said:
Hi! I'm about your height and was about your weight last year. Down a bit from there but have a ways to go. Just started weight watchers last week again for the millionth time, lol.

My kids are 6, 4 & 4, so I can't keep calling it baby weight, lol. It's like, 1st grader weight!!

Good luck! We can trade ideas here if ya want :)

Hi Treyser! :wavey: Yeah, I've done Weightwatchers before, but they changed the program three times and I got confused with all the different points systems so I dropped it - although I still think in points, really.

We can trade ideas.....when I kick-start myself, eventually!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice going with the good food and exercise, everyone! :dance:

I love when people leave interesting tips and share their healthy recipes.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fell off the wagon...eat too much, drank too much....I didn't gain any weight, but its a miracle I didn't..but I am now back on track, dinner is almost done and then I shall walk...can't walk outside too cold, I live too far from a indoor walking area, so I walk in my house, back and forth and then I go up the stairs one in a while, I refuse to gain this weight back, I am determined!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondrnglover|1418080054|3797916 said:
I fell off the wagon...eat too much, drank too much....I didn't gain any weight, but its a miracle I didn't..but I am now back on track, dinner is almost done and then I shall walk...can't walk outside too cold, I live too far from a indoor walking area, so I walk in my house, back and forth and then I go up the stairs one in a while, I refuse to gain this weight back, I am determined!!

Good for you! Keeping going after falling off is the most important thing. We all have days that we don't do so well :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1418107411|3798105 said:
diamondrnglover|1418080054|3797916 said:

Good for you! Keeping going after falling off is the most important thing. We all have days that we don't do so well :))

Definitely. We are all going to have some more challenging days and what sets the successful apart from those that are not is the fact that they keep going no matter what. Bad days? No big deal. What sets you apart is that you get right back on track! No pun intended.

I am doing well with my punishing but necessary routine. Pilates Reformer, Arc trainer and treadmill and stretching every day so I can get stronger each day. It is tough going sometimes as my workout is so long these days but I have a goal of health and strength and fitness in mind with an eye towards walking without a limp hopefully one day not too far away! And it is OK because right now my fitness routine is my main job so I can concentrate on that without worrying about work.

You go girls! We are all here for each other for support and advice and I am cheering on each and every one of you!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Let me preface this by apologizing. I'm really stressed today, and this is a whiny complainy post. Please skip right on by if that will bother you :lickout:

I'm having a rough day. It's been a really stressful month, and I'm f-ing hungry, tired, and not losing enough for as much as I'm putting in. I haven't lost in 2 weeks, and I'm netting just the right amount of calories each day, after exercise. Even the gym was really tough for me yesterday, I dropped my phone on the floor while on the elliptical, and went swimming in my nasty, elastic falling apart swimsuit. I had to rescue my towel from someone who tried to steal it, dodge kids who were all over my lane, and listen to the lifeguards bitch about how stupid people are for not checking the schedule before they swim, and how fed up they are with their jobs. UGH!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

I skipped today to get a little distance from it, and will head back tomorrow. This, too, shall pass. Tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity for me to get healthier and happier!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
praveenjewels|1418195124|3798759 said:
Share my point I would wonder why I am interested in this thread. I have been overweight before, and have since dropped the weight. (I am 5'2, and my max weight was 164. This was about 10 years ago, when I was dealing with pregnancy and depression.) But for me, regardless of weight, I struggle with food issues, exercise, and mental health well-being. I would find it very beneficial and would be happy to participate.

Thanks,

I was talking with my step-daughter the other day about food issues and good exercise habits. Both are very important but can be hard to balance out, especially without support.

Good luck finding the healthy balance in your life. We're all here for each other!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1418182075|3798667 said:
Let me preface this by apologizing. I'm really stressed today, and this is a whiny complainy post. Please skip right on by if that will bother you :lickout:

I'm having a rough day. It's been a really stressful month, and I'm f-ing hungry, tired, and not losing enough for as much as I'm putting in. I haven't lost in 2 weeks, and I'm netting just the right amount of calories each day, after exercise. Even the gym was really tough for me yesterday, I dropped my phone on the floor while on the elliptical, and went swimming in my nasty, elastic falling apart swimsuit. I had to rescue my towel from someone who tried to steal it, dodge kids who were all over my lane, and listen to the lifeguards bitch about how stupid people are for not checking the schedule before they swim, and how fed up they are with their jobs. UGH!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

I skipped today to get a little distance from it, and will head back tomorrow. This, too, shall pass. Tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity for me to get healthier and happier!

I hope tomorrow is better!

I'm not sure if it is a possibility for you, but can you go at a time with fewer people? Part of why we go out and exercise at 6:30 in the morning is because I don't want to deal with all the other people. Our group that had been meeting up has mostly drifted apart (between weather, new babies, and major work changes people have been busy) but we still get up early and go at the same time. I can't stand going later in the day with lots of people around!

AFM, today was not so good.
Skipped exercise. Breakfast was okay (a couple of eggs, a pile of tomatoes, and a yogurt). Lunch was great (big pile of green salad). Then it really went downhill...
My first final exam of the quarter was this evening. The only thing that kept the anxiety (and my lunch) down was to munch on stuff (mainly a pile of wheat thins, a bag of chips, and some chocolate).
Now it is after 11pm and I'm studying for the next exam. Not likely to get much sleep tonight. Not going to have time for any exercise tomorrow.

Such is life.
I've got a yummy salad and a Greek yogurt to have for breakfast and another big salad for lunch.
Can get back to regular exercise and sleep on Thursday.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Managed 3 hours of sleep last night but did get in a bit of exercise. Not much, just some arm exercises and squats. Needed to keep moving to stay awake and keep muscles from cramping while sitting at my desk studying.

Just finished a yummy salad for breakfast -- lots of mixed leafy greens, tomatoes, no-salt kidney beans, 1 oz extra sharp cheddar, 1 Tbsp balsamic dressing.
(not the most exciting salad, but tasted okay and a healthy meal to start the day)

Eating lots of veggies is helping!
I haven't gotten on a scale in the last couple of weeks, but my pants are less snug. The big piles of veggies (mostly greens or carrots so far) really fill me up. I have been eating a lot less rice/potatoes and actually staying in my healthy calorie range pretty much every day.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is everyone doing? I know it is cold outside. Hope you are all finding ways to exercise and stay warm!

Did 30 minutes of yoga yesterday. Plus a bunch of heavy duty cleaning.
Dinner was a yummy dish I made up -- lots of carrots, some sliced chicken breast, fresh tomatoes, peas, and a bit of brown rice. Spiced with cumin, coriander, paprika, and cinnamon.

Today:
Just back from 2 miles on the track. Planning to get in another 30 minutes of yoga in a bit.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you, Too Patient!

I'm doing pretty well. Got over my bad day, and feeling pretty motivated.

Thanks for the tip about going at a different time. It's a little tough, because I go to my local Y. I don't have enough time between the time they open, and the time I go to work to get a swim in, and in the evenings, they have swim team practice every night (taking up 4/6 lanes of the pool), and water aerobic classes (taking up the rest of the pool) 2 more nights. I try and swim the 3 night that there are a couple of lanes left over, and do other things the rest of the time. Saturdays are a great day to get a swim in though, there's almost nothing going on then.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear things are going well for you ladies. I am keeping to my workout routine though it is getting boring on the treadmill. I enjoy the elliptical and the Pilates Reformer but when it comes to the treadmill walking just doesn't cut it for me. Though with the weather as it is the treadmill is my best option for now. It is harder to walk on the treadmill than run on it IMO and running is verboten for me forever now so until I can improve my walking I have to walk a few miles at least everyday on the treadmill. The nice weather days though I do my few miles outside. I am thankful to be able to walk on the treadmill and everywhere else so I am not complaining. Just sharing my thoughts with you guys on treadmill boredom.

TooPatient, you are doing so well! I am so happy for you. :appl:

Manderz, swimming is such a wonderful exercise. I am glad you are finding a better time to be able to go and swim. Times like this what I wouldn't give for my own indoor pool. We were watching House Hunters the other night and this couple bought a home with an indoor pool. What a luxury!

Keep up the good work everyone!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone else do weekly meal prep? We tried this last wednesday, bought a bunch of proteins and vegetables, cooked them all off and portioned them into tupperware containers for easy eating. We portioned out enough protein for 40g per 'meal' and each meal comes in at 500 cals or less. It took a good 3 hours, but has been so worth it. There is no unhealthy food in the house, and if you're hungry theres a plethora of healthy meals that are easy to eat vs driving to get something unhealthy. So far, so good! I see all the body builders I follow on instagram do this, and I see why!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi telephone,we do this. Mainly out of time saving necessity. My dh does most of the cooking and on Sundays he cooks all the veggies (usually grilled onions/mushrooms/butternut squash) and protein we will eat for the week. Each night for dinner I make a fresh salad and add the protein and veggies that he made on Sunday. It stays fresh for the work week and it is easy to prepare dinner each night this way. It certainly helps prevent impulse ordering takeout and encourages healthy eating though that was never our problem. Time is always the challenge and this helps quite a bit. Well worth the weekend prep I agree.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, 3 hours seems like alot of time while we are doing it, but considering we've saved 30-60m per night, it has worked out well. I am just getting a bit bored with what we made, I think we will have to try some new marinades for the chicken, maybe more vegetables to get some variety.

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Count me in as someone who is trying to shed some weight! I have a 6 month old and life has just settled down enough to start exercising. I'm sticking with hot yoga for now since I've had great results in the past. I went yesterday for the first time in nearly a year and WOW are my arms sore :(.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results