color
clarity

Weight Loss

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1416484949|3787137 said:
distracts|1416463439|3787061 said:
Jambalaya - my husband is also dealing with plantar fascitis from weight. It looks no fun. Seconding the KT tape rec.

I've lost almost down to my goal weight (or, well, I've met my initial goal and am now working on my stretch goal), and need to work on exercise now. What I've been doing is just 15 minutes 3 times a week at home - not even anything like a workout tape, literally I just put on music and jam. Athletically. To get the cardio in. It's VERY FUN and doesn't feel like exercise, but it's easy to step up to every day or slowly increase the time. It's always been my go-to "ease into exercise" tactic.

Woofmama - PILATES IS THE BEST. *claws face off from excitement* I am trying to get fit enough to go back to my pilates class. I go during the day and everyone else there is like a retired 75-year-old who could kick the a$$ of MMA fighters or something, like, idek how they are so in shape but I think once they retired they just go to the gym all day or something.

I will second this. I am new to Pilates but so far I love it. It's a great way to build muscle and strength and flexibility.

missy, I can totally see you get into it. I recently tried the reformer with an instructor, and that thing kicks your a$$!! It feels SOOO great after though. It works and lengthens your muscles, as well as stretching them out. It's an amazing workout. It's too bad that private reformer classes are so expensive at my gym. :nono: Maybe I give up jewelry for a year and instead do the reformer.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1416500139|3787238 said:
Jambalaya - my husband is also dealing with plantar fascitis from weight. It looks no fun. Seconding the KT tape rec.

I've lost almost down to my goal weight (or, well, I've met my initial goal and am now working on my stretch goal), and need to work on exercise now. What I've been doing is just 15 minutes 3 times a week at home - not even anything like a workout tape, literally I just put on music and jam. Athletically. To get the cardio in. It's VERY FUN and doesn't feel like exercise, but it's easy to step up to every day or slowly increase the time. It's always been my go-to "ease into exercise" tactic.

Woofmama - PILATES IS THE BEST. *claws face off from excitement* I am trying to get fit enough to go back to my pilates class. I go during the day and everyone else there is like a retired 75-year-old who could kick the a$$ of MMA fighters or something, like, idek how they are so in shape but I think once they retired they just go to the gym all day or something.

I will second this. I am new to Pilates but so far I love it. It's a great way to build muscle and strength and flexibility.

So Distracts do ya love pilates? ;)) Thanks for the feedback, I'm dying to try it but a bit nervous from you saying that you're trying to get fit enough to go to class :???: So does that mean 50 yr old completely out of shape me should try to drop more weight before signing up?
I want to be one of those MMA fighter women! I was totally in that kind of shape a few years ago from weight training.

Missy are you taking classes or doing an at home tape?

Woofmama, most of the mat pilates classes I've taken is very challenging. But I would encourage you to get started anyway. I would not wait until you think you are "fit" enough. That is the job of the class, to get you fit. I always think that if I am not working hard and sore days after, I haven't tried hard enough. If I am not struggling to finish a class or get through the exercises, it's wasting my time. You will find that it strengthens and tones you. It's not very cardio so don't expect to burn as many calories as high intensity workouts, but if you work hard, you can build up a decent sweat. (You probably already know this since you used to weight train.) After enough classes, you figure out how to use your core in every exercise to give you strength and stabilize the body to do the exercises correctly. Be patient with yourself with pilates. I've been doing it on and off for years, and it's taken a long time to do the exercise correctly. When I first started out I just tried to follow the motions. When you learn how to incorporate the core and pay attention to the details of each movement, you will figure out how to clamp down on your whole body to maximize the intensity of the workout. In your daily life, you will notice your posture improve, how you automatically pull in your core when you stand and sit. It made me more aware of my whole profile. Go for it!! You're 50. You can do whatever the hell you want to. You've earned it. :clap: :clap: Please keep us updated on how it goes!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1416468299|3787087 said:
THANK YOU for sharing this. I think it's very helpful!!
Aww, I love white rice.. my comfort food is tamagokake gohan (egg with rice and shoyu).. I'm glad you found that wholewheat made a difference vs white. I tried it for a while but to me it seemed that the wholewheat bread they sell around here is just regular white bread but with a sprinkling of wholewheat flour to color it...

I think for the new year I will try to cut out white foods and sugar. I've already cut out most sugary drinks - I usually take a soda water with lime, black coffee, or tea with milk only. My weakness is for a nice cocktail or beer once in a while though.

I live in a big city where it's so easy to eat out and to eat late at night. Most of the time I feel very unhealthy and just yuck.. :(
On the plus side I don't own a car and walk a lot, maybe 2-3 km a day just taking the subway to/from work. It's not the same as doing 10km on the treadmill, I know. :((

I've tried so many different diets, like cutting out carbs, South Beach, Atkins etc but I can never stick to it... sigh.

Mochiko42, It is great that you are walking. A car takes away any of that exercise. Just continue moving. Maybe you can use an exercise video at home, with just light weights. I did all my exercises at home when I shed my pregnancy weight. It doesn't take a lot of room, and just two sets of weights, one lighter set, maybe 3-5 pounds each, and a heavier set, about 8 pounds each. Let me know if you want the name of the exercise DVDs that I used that were really good, took up very little space in my home, and was very low impact, but high intensity. I would be dripping sweat at the end of the 50 minute workout. You'd be amazed how some weight resistance work revs up your metabolism.

I'm sorry if I wasn't specific. I traded white rice for brown rice. I still can't let go of rice. I do think brown rice is more conducive to general health and weight loss because it is much less processed than bread, any kind of bread. It also has tons of fiber. It's my primary carbohydrate. I make a enough everyday to eat for lunch and dinner. I may eat one slice of whole wheat bread for breakfast, but that's it. Lunch I will have brown rice, maybe make a brown rice fried rice and I have it for dinner too.

Getting rid of sugar is HUGE. I'm having a problem with that now. Every night after dinner I want something sweet. I am going to have to go back to fruit, rather than a little macaron, my weakness now. :nono: It's the addiction factor that gets me. I'll think of you whenever I reach for that tempting sweet dessert. :saint:

CrisM

Shiny_Rock
I'm down! I'm at my heaviest now, about the same weight as post birth four years ago. BMI and cholesterol is too high for health's sake. and I'd like to shop my closet for the smaller sizes I used to wear.

At work we ran a Biggest Loser challenge for a few weeks that was motivating. We're starting another but the group is comprised of some like me who have 30+ lbs to shed and another who is working on her last 5. Instead of making weight or inches the barometers, we're customizing weekly challenges. If broken, we'd throw in x amount of dollars into the winning pot. Obviously, we've got to hash this out a little better but the goal is to get to our individual goals and to motivate one another. Some of the week long challenges we're thinking of are: salads for lunch, no grazing past 8pm, healthy breakfasts, no cookies / pastries, etc.

Speaking for myself only, exercising has been the only factor that makes a difference. My diet and attitude adjust for the better as a result.

This would all be especially helpful given the upcoming holiday treats coming up.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I"m in on a weight-loss thread. I lost 35 lbs last year & kept it off pretty well -- until I stopped smoking a few months ago. Yack, find myself stuffing anything into my mouth all day & have gained most of the weight back. Got to get moving again, though I still do yoga every morning 7 days a week.

Plantar fascitis -- I had it & could barely walk. i read that arch support is essential to curing it, so I bought all new shoes & even slippers, making sure there was good support. Also bought some insole things, though they aren't supposed to help much. They did. It went away & I haven't had it for several years.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So Distracts do ya love pilates? ;)) Thanks for the feedback, I'm dying to try it but a bit nervous from you saying that you're trying to get fit enough to go to class :???: So does that mean 50 yr old completely out of shape me should try to drop more weight before signing up?
I want to be one of those MMA fighter women! I was totally in that kind of shape a few years ago from weight training.

Hi woofmama, I am taking machine Pilates at PT and I really love it. So much so that we just bought one for our home. It's the Allegro Balanced Body reformer and we got it at Costco on sale and ordered the legs separately so it can be raised off the ground for ease of use. If I can do it you certainly can though I cannot say anything about mat Pilates because I have no experience with that. I would not be able to get down on a mat right now with my leg healing still and all but the machine Pilates rocks. And you can do any level that you are able to-beginning all the way to advanced. It really is an impressive workout for any level.

LLJsmom said:
missy, I can totally see you get into it. I recently tried the reformer with an instructor, and that thing kicks your a$$!! It feels SOOO great after though. It works and lengthens your muscles, as well as stretching them out. It's an amazing workout. It's too bad that private reformer classes are so expensive at my gym. :nono: Maybe I give up jewelry for a year and instead do the reformer.

Hi LLJsmom, I just made an appointment for personal one on one training with my physical therapist who is going to come to our home and give us some private lessons on our reformer. He is charging us $100 an hour but usually charges his clients $135 so I guess we are getting a bargain haha. I hope we only need him a few times just to get started on our home reformer. I totally gave up jewelry to order this as I decided to get the Pilates Reformer instead of a gorgeous pair of diamond earrings. To me it was no contest. Though I might still get those diamond earrings for the holidays or Valentine's Day so all hope is not lost. :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1416504080|3787284 said:
mochiko42|1416468299|3787087 said:
THANK YOU for sharing this. I think it's very helpful!!
Aww, I love white rice.. my comfort food is tamagokake gohan (egg with rice and shoyu).. I'm glad you found that wholewheat made a difference vs white. I tried it for a while but to me it seemed that the wholewheat bread they sell around here is just regular white bread but with a sprinkling of wholewheat flour to color it...

I think for the new year I will try to cut out white foods and sugar. I've already cut out most sugary drinks - I usually take a soda water with lime, black coffee, or tea with milk only. My weakness is for a nice cocktail or beer once in a while though.

I live in a big city where it's so easy to eat out and to eat late at night. Most of the time I feel very unhealthy and just yuck.. :(
On the plus side I don't own a car and walk a lot, maybe 2-3 km a day just taking the subway to/from work. It's not the same as doing 10km on the treadmill, I know. :((

I've tried so many different diets, like cutting out carbs, South Beach, Atkins etc but I can never stick to it... sigh.

Mochiko42, It is great that you are walking. A car takes away any of that exercise. Just continue moving. Maybe you can use an exercise video at home, with just light weights. I did all my exercises at home when I shed my pregnancy weight. It doesn't take a lot of room, and just two sets of weights, one lighter set, maybe 3-5 pounds each, and a heavier set, about 8 pounds each. Let me know if you want the name of the exercise DVDs that I used that were really good, took up very little space in my home, and was very low impact, but high intensity. I would be dripping sweat at the end of the 50 minute workout. You'd be amazed how some weight resistance work revs up your metabolism.

I'm sorry if I wasn't specific. I traded white rice for brown rice. I still can't let go of rice. I do think brown rice is more conducive to general health and weight loss because it is much less processed than bread, any kind of bread. It also has tons of fiber. It's my primary carbohydrate. I make a enough everyday to eat for lunch and dinner. I may eat one slice of whole wheat bread for breakfast, but that's it. Lunch I will have brown rice, maybe make a brown rice fried rice and I have it for dinner too.

Getting rid of sugar is HUGE. I'm having a problem with that now. Every night after dinner I want something sweet. I am going to have to go back to fruit, rather than a little macaron, my weakness now. :nono: It's the addiction factor that gets me. I'll think of you whenever I reach for that tempting sweet dessert. :saint:

Hi there again, have you ever tried Quinoa? It is delicious and while it is not rice I find it to be a good substitute where in the past I would have added brown rice (which I love) I now add Quinoa. It works perfectly in all the dishes that call for brown rice but is much healthier IMO. Oh and did I mention it is hands down delicious? :lickout:

http://www.prevention.com/whats-healthier-quinoa-or-brown-rice

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh just finished putting our pilates reformer together and here it is. A thing of beauty. :appl:

It's on wheels so we can easily move when we want our library to serve in its original role. Listening to music and reading. We just needed it to serve a dual purpose now as our exercise room is full and the overflow had to go somewhere.

_295.jpeg

_24432.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1416521084|3787541 said:
My dh just finished putting our pilates reformer together and here it is. A thing of beauty. :appl:

It's on wheels so we can easily move when we want our library to serve in its original role. Listening to music and reading. We just needed it to serve a dual purpose now as our exercise room is full and the overflow had to go somewhere.

So cool missy!! :appl: :appl: That reformer is truly a thing of beauty. Let us know how it goes as you use it over time. I would love to hear how your body responds to the regular use of the reformer.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1416517697|3787493 said:
Hi there again, have you ever tried Quinoa? It is delicious and while it is not rice I find it to be a good substitute where in the past I would have added brown rice (which I love) I now add Quinoa. It works perfectly in all the dishes that call for brown rice but is much healthier IMO. Oh and did I mention it is hands down delicious? :lickout:

Hi missy, I love quinoa too! The only problem I have is that because it's so little, and requires so little chewing, I inhale that stuff. I eat it like soup. Two cups gone in 10 minutes, and I feel as if I ate nothing. Then I need MORE! With brown rice, I am required to chew...and chew...and chew... :lol: So I give my stomach more time to realize it's full.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quinoa, how do you cook it? I bought some organic Quinoa at Whole Foods but I'm not confident with the instructions on the package, can someone tell me how they like it best cooked?

I understands its high in protein, which is good because I'm looking to cut way back on red meat and animal protein...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom said:
missy|1416517697|3787493 said:

Hi missy, I love quinoa too! The only problem I have is that because it's so little, and requires so little chewing, I inhale that stuff. I eat it like soup. Two cups gone in 10 minutes, and I feel as if I ate nothing. Then I need MORE! With brown rice, I am required to chew...and chew...and chew... :lol: So I give my stomach more time to realize it's full.

Haha I hear you. I love eating volume as that's often the only way I feel satiated. That's why I love a big bowl of air popped popcorn as a good snack. It's very satisfying crunch wise and volume wise and takes a good long time to eat.

azstonie said:
Quinoa, how do you cook it? I bought some organic Quinoa at Whole Foods but I'm not confident with the instructions on the package, can someone tell me how they like it best cooked?

I understands its high in protein, which is good because I'm looking to cut way back on red meat and animal protein...

Hi Kristie, it's super easy. I put it in our rice maker on the brown rice setting and add 2 cups of water for every cup of quinoa. Easy and that's coming from somebody who doesn't cook. If my dh is making it he adds onions and peppers etc. But it's delicious either way. Enjoy!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy:

Thank you! Do you add, for example, a teaspoon of olive oil or should that be omitted?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1416529247|3787634 said:
Hi Missy:

Thank you! Do you add, for example, a teaspoon of olive oil or should that be omitted?

Oh no we do add that. Sorry. I am not the chef of the family lol so now you can see why. I don't measure it though I just add a dash or 2 depending on how many cups I am making. Greg however adds a number of different things to the mix. He has fun with it and it always comes out tasting delicious. Have fun with it. Costco carries a big bag of organic quinoa at an amazing price btw. HA, what doesn't Costco carry! They have reformers and diamonds and organic veggies and fruit and gas at some locations. The list goes on and on. :bigsmile:

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I would suggest perhaps starting with yoga and work your way up to Pilates. I have done both for over 10 years. Many of the Pilates moves require that you keep you shoulders off the floor and some people hurt their neck in the process so if you begin keep your head on the floor and just concentrate on the moves and work your way up to shoulders off floor as you get stronger. Taking classes in the beginning is a great way to make sure your form is correct. Once you master it then I would suggest using a dvd.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just registered for yoga as one of my winter quarter classes. It is only one day per week (just shy of 2 hours) but it really helped me build strength in my muscles the last time I did it. Hoping to make the most of my 12 weeks by practicing out of class too. If registration is low, she also invites us to join the other class so I may be able to do 2 days per week...

Didn't make it to the exercise group this morning but did make a point of doing 20 minutes of medium intensity stuff at home plus a 1 mile walk.

Lunch was not so good (nachos) but I'm balancing it with a yummy broccoli & mushroom dinner so we all still fall in out calorie range and meet our nutrients for the day. (except a little over in the fat department)

I find that we stick to things better if we still eat the stuff we love but less of it and balance with the veggies.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok....just finished session: legs today, 45 min w/ trainer. Then 30 min on elliptical--164.8 in my birthday suit this am. 140 or bust. Monday mornings is the 'official' weigh-in. Hoping for 1 lb loss...keep moving everyone!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just back from exercise!

Finished 1.4 miles in 35 minutes plus did another 10 minutes of extra exercises.

Still not back to our full routine, but it is great progress!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1416584749|3787950 said:
Ok....just finished session: legs today, 45 min w/ trainer. Then 30 min on elliptical--164.8 in my birthday suit this am. 140 or bust. Monday mornings is the 'official' weigh-in. Hoping for 1 lb loss...keep moving everyone!

Great job! :appl:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got on the scale this morning and have lost ten pounds since the beginning of my CBI Journey (about a pound a week).
That puts my BMI at 23 within the normal range (would be great to lose another 10). :dance: :dance: :dance:

Perhaps you all should go out and order a custom Cut to Order CBI diamond from Wink. Losing weight while waiting for them
to craft it has been a great side benefit :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, I'm on the home stretch with that and will post a new thread when I get more info, still have not seen the finished diamond yet.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great way to start a Friday sarahb and TooPatient!! Pat on the back for getting your workout done. I'll try to stick to my plan for a late afternoon run.

sarahb|1416584749|3787950 said:
:clap:

TooPatient said:
Just back from exercise!

Finished 1.4 miles in 35 minutes plus did another 10 minutes of extra exercises.

Still not back to our full routine, but it is great progress!
:clap:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1416586068|3787967 said:
Got on the scale this morning and have lost ten pounds since the beginning of my CBI Journey (about a pound a week).
That puts my BMI at 23 within the normal range (would be great to lose another 10). :dance: :dance: :dance:

Perhaps you all should go out and order a custom Cut to Order CBI diamond from Wink. Losing weight while waiting for them

btw, I'm on the home stretch with that and will post a new thread when I get more info, still have not seen the finished diamond yet.

Congratulations!!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to cook with less sugar, salt and oil. I find that adding herbs and spices really helps, as does using fresh and simple ingredients that let you taste the food. I'm a huge fan of Penzeys Spices, they have the most amazing selection of single spices and blends. Their quality and prices are awesome too. Their free quarterly magazine/catalog is really nice and you usually get a free sample 1/4 cup jar of a new or randomly selected spice. [emoji7] [emoji7]

I also try to avoid fattening foods like fried or overly greasy food. I do keep to the food I love otherwise I'd go crazy. So I'll still eat Mexican food but will order Taco salad (but not eat the tortilla bowl) instead of a burrito or tacos. I do succumb from time to time to a churro which I do know is empty calories... [emoji28] [emoji28]

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Congrats to you cflutist, that's quite a BMI too! :appl: :appl:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1416613894|3788241 said:
I try to cook with less sugar, salt and oil. I find that adding herbs and spices really helps, as does using fresh and simple ingredients that let you taste the food. I'm a huge fan of Penzeys Spices, they have the most amazing selection of single spices and blends. Their quality and prices are awesome too. Their free quarterly magazine/catalog is really nice and you usually get a free sample 1/4 cup jar of a new or randomly selected spice. [emoji7] [emoji7]

I also try to avoid fattening foods like fried or overly greasy food. I do keep to the food I love otherwise I'd go crazy. So I'll still eat Mexican food but will order Taco salad (but not eat the tortilla bowl) instead of a burrito or tacos. I do succumb from time to time to a churro which I do know is empty calories... [emoji28] [emoji28]

Another Penzy fan here! We even have a retail location here, it is fun to visit. Great spices.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1416614544|3788245 said:

Congrats to you cflutist, that's quite a BMI too! :appl: :appl:

Thanks sarahb. I kid about the CBI diamond, and it has been stressful for me due to my personality, but I have started exercising more and watching my carb intake. Pretty much given up refined sugar except for the one donut I had at a law enforcement conference.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok everyone: Saturday morning, work out done here--what's the word out there....

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in..I am only 10 lbs from being morbidly obese :nono: I have all the too heavy "diseases" type 2 diabetes is the pits, I crave carbs, you just have to be smart about them....I am currently already trying to lose weight so far I have lost 7 lbs in 3 months I have crappy metabolism so it is very slow going and with arthritis in my back I have to be very careful what I do for exercise...the most I do now is walk, but I can walk that far because it causes my back to hurt..but I do it anyway, I am too far away to a YMCA so swimming is out, but I shall keep trying....

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondrnglover--that is wonderful that you are making progress. Good job, it is truly a process that is for sure. Making those incremental changes will go far in the long run--I too have a horrible thyroid, Hashimoto disease, (underachieve thyroid), so I can totally relate--I really have to work hard to lose weight. Hang in there & keep moving! :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1416675438|3788543 said:
Ok everyone: Saturday morning, work out done here--what's the word out there....

Good job sarahb!! Woo-hoo!

I did bikram at 6am this morning!! Yay!! And yesterday I avoided all processed sugars! Only fruit for sweets. So far so good today. On my third apple.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results