carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Haven :wavey:
The weather has improved dramatically so I have resumed walking little laps outside. Two laps in my community =1/4 mi! I've been "inconveniencing" myself lately to get myself to move around more :lol: . I don't keep a drink next to me. IF I'm thirsty I have to get off my darn ass and walk to the kitchen to get it.

I love watching TV too much. I put on a walk away the pounds video on a tablet and either hit play and walk along during commercial breaks, or if I've been super sedentary, I walk along when the show is on and pause it during commercial breaks to take a break, go potty, or run to the kitchen for my drink :lol: .

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1458083864|4005863 said:
Hi Haven :wavey:
The weather has improved dramatically so I have resumed walking little laps outside. Two laps in my community =1/4 mi! I've been "inconveniencing" myself lately to get myself to move around more :lol: . I don't keep a drink next to me. IF I'm thirsty I have to get off my darn a$$ and walk to the kitchen to get it.

I love watching TV too much. I put on a walk away the pounds video on a tablet and either hit play and walk along during commercial breaks, or if I've been super sedentary, I walk along when the show is on and pause it during commercial breaks to take a break, go potty, or run to the kitchen for my drink :lol: .

I have done those Walk Away the Pounds videos by Leslie Samsome. They are great when its raining outside and I can't walk my goal of 10k steps around our hill (exactly 1 mile x 3 laps = 3 miles). Step areobic videos are good too, I especially like the ones filmed on Waikiki by Gilad so I can look at beautiful scenery while exercising.

I was averaging 11k steps every day, about 5 miles for the 2 months before my craniotomy (to remove a brain tumor) because I wanted to be in the best shape I could be before my operation. All bets were off afterwards because I was sent home with a walker and worked with a PT to learn to walk again. So I wasn't getting as much exercising in that I should, but then got diagnosed as diabetic (father has been diabetic for 30 years and is thin). That meant cutting way back on carbs if I didn't want to be pricking my finger everyday or taking meds.

If we put our minds to it, we can all do it and let's try to encourage each other.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven! Good to see you :wavey:

Congratulations! We are all working on different things but overall goal is healthy. The more the merrier!

You and Kenny are right. So easy to know but so much harder to stick to it and keep making healthy choices. I also find that I slip on something and then just give up. Having others to go to and get support is a huge help!

Not a healthy day for me. Hurt my back yesterday so had to take today off. Almost no walking. Just in bed on ice for the most part. Well, and I went to grab lunch since I had a quick errand to do that took longer than expected and left me no time to get back home for my healthy lunch. Started okay with the idea of a fallafel (lots of veggies, no pita) then they convinced me to try the garlic fries.... Yeah. Lunch was a pile of garlic fries :nono:

Tomorrow will be better! Only a half day (training class other half) but I should still have a good 3 miles on my route.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient said:
PintoBean|1457970300|4005092 said:
oh, no bueno. 2015 - down 9 lbs, then back up 9 lbs by January 2016. I have my follow up appointment with the GP tomorrow. My lower BP number has to go down. He has a 3 strikes your out rule - so tomorrow may or may not be strike 2. If my bp doesn't improve by weight loss and/or diet by appt 3, I will be put on meds.

It happens. Just try again. You can do it!

Hoping for good news at your appointment today.
Today's appt was strike 2. :oops: I have a month to lose weight.

starting 5mg of Lexapro, and hope that I don't get a weight gain side effect :???: . I'm hoping the Lexapro will help me to feel more balanced so I don't have those bouts where I just can't get out of bed... I want to finish 2016 one pant size smaller :dance:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1458098242|4005961 said:
TooPatient said:
PintoBean|1457970300|4005092 said:
oh, no bueno. 2015 - down 9 lbs, then back up 9 lbs by January 2016. I have my follow up appointment with the GP tomorrow. My lower BP number has to go down. He has a 3 strikes your out rule - so tomorrow may or may not be strike 2. If my bp doesn't improve by weight loss and/or diet by appt 3, I will be put on meds.

It happens. Just try again. You can do it!

Hoping for good news at your appointment today.
Today's appt was strike 2. :oops: I have a month to lose weight.

starting 5mg of Lexapro, and hope that I don't get a weight gain side effect :???: . I'm hoping the Lexapro will help me to feel more balanced so I don't have those bouts where I just can't get out of bed... I want to finish 2016 one pant size smaller :dance:

You can do it!

What is your goal to lose for the month?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to lose 5 lbs out of the 60 I should lose. The goal is to keep the 5 lbs off and make that the new "not to exceed" weight. I know that if I increase my average steps by 1 mile or 2,000 steps, I will start losing weight again. :dance:

I want to try this 10 minute cardio barre video: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/10-Minute-Cardio-Barre-Workout-35594222

I would have tried it sooner if we had any chairs where the TVs are :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
242.8 pounds this morning. BMI of 41.7

Since the month is half over, my goal is to lose 5 pounds by the end of the month.

Had a good breakfast and skipped my chai in favor of herbal tea. Trying to cut chai back to 4 times per week (down from 2 per day to 1 per day and now this step).

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of drinks, TooPatient - sometimes I crave fizz. :lol: I either drink Schweppes black cherry seltzer (it's the only one I like plain, and I taste this vanilla/almond-y aftertaste - yum!), or I do 1/2 an inch of juice - lately limeade and the rest of the glass is plain seltzer. One short glass every couple of days :lol: . I figured it's an improvement on coca cola ingestion.

After my morning mug of coffee, I drink water with a splash of green tea for the rest of the day. I don't like plain water anymore, IDK why, but green tea I like plain, so it works for me! We brew enough green tea to fill up a large container and store it in the fridge. I rotate through 3 types of green tea - dragon well, Japanese green tea with the brown rice, and a oolong+Jasmine+green+white tea blend from Teavana. If we don't have any ready brewed tea, DH picks up a large bottle of Ito En brand green tea :dance:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto -- For me, it is all about substituting something yummy so I can stick with it. May not be as healthy as plain water, but it is better than I had done. I went from 1000 calories per day in chai to 350 per day to 150 per day. Big difference but not really something I miss since it was gradual. Plus swapping in some yummy herbal hot teas so I don't feel like I am sacrificing. I had tried to cut it all and go plain water, but I hate plain water! I always made it a day or two and quit.

Trying to get all my liquid in for the day is tough now. My job is up and moving all day. The company I deliver at has amazing drink selection on each floor of all the buildings. I just seldom have time to stop. Getting a routine going I think. So far it is better. My new route also lets me use the bathroom before going into the building so that is huge! Before, I had to make it 4+ hours with no ability to use a restroom. Made it hard!

5000 steps so far. About 2.3 miles.
Still 2 buildings to go.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Healthy breakfast and have healthy lunch packed with me. Doing well today. Sick and my back still hurts so I probably won't exercise out of my normal work.

1.4 miles walked so far today.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3.68 miles so far today. Still stuck at 123 pounds.
Hubby (5'9" 183 pounds) will start low carb tomorrow as he was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes at age 65.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted corned beef for St. patty's day, and :idea: - hey I bet Whole Food's has some in their hot bar! I got a wonderful brown box of a medley of salads today - I am happily eating a "rainbow"! Beet salad, lentil salad, avocado kale salad, chicky chicky pea pea salad, chicken and artichoke salad, and my FAVORITE - the sesame tofu!!! I also grabbed a small piece of corned beef. :bigsmile:

I'm so happy that I've been consistent this week with 2 miles a day of walking. Next week the goal is 3 miles a day. I am very sedentary. I hope to be as active as you guys are soon!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1458255976|4007020 said:
I wanted corned beef for St. patty's day, and :idea: - hey I bet Whole Food's has some in their hot bar! I got a wonderful brown box of a medley of salads today - I am happily eating a "rainbow"! Beet salad, lentil salad, avocado kale salad, chicky chicky pea pea salad, chicken and artichoke salad, and my FAVORITE - the sesame tofu!!! I also grabbed a small piece of corned beef. :bigsmile:

I'm so happy that I've been consistent this week with 2 miles a day of walking. Next week the goal is 3 miles a day. I am very sedentary. I hope to be as active as you guys are soon!!

Yummy sounding salad! Awesome way to get the corned beef and stay healthy! :appl:

I finished my route today with 5.5 miles walked. Lifted 40 packages plus 3 bins of mail and 2 bins of books a minimum of 4 times each. A relatively light day. My heavy package was only 30 pounds. Most in the 10 pound range, but hey.... squatting and lifting all those adds up!

(The job may pay little and be exhausting and very unappreciated, but at least it gets me moving!)

Having a big leafy salad before dinner. 1/2 a chicken breast with some tomatoes and 1/2 cup brown rice for dinner.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1458251551|4006986 said:
3.68 miles so far today. Still stuck at 123 pounds.
Hubby (5'9" 183 pounds) will start low carb tomorrow as he was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes at age 65.

A healthy eating partner helps! Sorry for his diagnosis, but hopefully it is something you can both work through together as you lose a bit of weight and he manages his pre-diabetes. A lot easier when you aren't trying to do it alone in a house of yummy looking unhealthy foods!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1458266815|4007093 said:

Yummy sounding salad! Awesome way to get the corned beef and stay healthy! :appl:

I finished my route today with 5.5 miles walked. Lifted 40 packages plus 3 bins of mail and 2 bins of books a minimum of 4 times each. A relatively light day. My heavy package was only 30 pounds. Most in the 10 pound range, but hey.... squatting and lifting all those adds up!

(The job may pay little and be exhausting and very unappreciated, but at least it gets me moving!)

Having a big leafy salad before dinner. 1/2 a chicken breast with some tomatoes and 1/2 cup brown rice for dinner.
Wow - a gym that pays YOU! :appl: :dance:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1458268964|4007115 said:
TooPatient|1458266815|4007093 said:

Wow - a gym that pays YOU! :appl: :dance:

:lol:

I have said that too! Oh.... They also don't let you take a day off from the workout. No excuses!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying not to be overly optimistic, but it looks like I'm down 0.5 lbs since last week. Those decimal points matter! :lol:

With the sun out and warmer weather, I'm getting motivated to leave the house more. I went and got my eyebrows threaded during my lunch break today.

After a naughty breakfast (Trader Joe's chocolate croissant - defrosted overnight), I'm having my leftover salad from last night for a late lunch. It's even more delicious today because the flavors have melded lololol.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice start! .5 is .5!

Sounds like my breakfast. Stopped with DH for a chocolate almond croissant at a bakery in the way to work. Yum!
Lunch is 4 oz need with fresh tomatoes, garlic, and an ounce of rice noodles.
Dinner is salad and chicken breast.
Need a treat sometimes it I give up...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breakfast is the best time to treat! :lol: - what do they say? start the day eating like a king/emperor... then end your day eating like a pauper?

"Let them eat CROISSANTS!" :dance:

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hope nobody minds if I join in too. :wavey: I just got my marching orders from my doctor. I have really high LDL cholesterol so I need to decrease my fat intake and increase my exercise. Which means cardio. Bleagh. I do weight training 3 days a week so now I have do cardio on all the other days too, which is my least favorite thing ever.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ariadne_Theia|1458327960|4007518 said:
I hope nobody minds if I join in too. :wavey: I just got my marching orders from my doctor. I have really high LDL cholesterol so I need to decrease my fat intake and increase my exercise. Which means cardio. Bleagh. I do weight training 3 days a week so now I have do cardio on all the other days too, which is my least favorite thing ever.

Hi :wavey:

Cardio is my least favorite too. Hope you can find a fun way to get cardio in. Dancing? Yoga (of the right sort)? Bike?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ariadne :wavey: welcome!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for being so welcoming, PintoBean and TooPatient!
I am trying to walk to get in enough shape to actually do some kind of high-paced dancing cardio or something like that. I nearly died, but I did walk 2 miles today up a large hill so I feel like that's progress. Even though the same pizza delivery guy passed by me with 2 separate deliveries while I was trying to hike up the street! :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ariadne_Theia|1458354422|4007693 said:
Thanks so much for being so welcoming, PintoBean and TooPatient!
I am trying to walk to get in enough shape to actually do some kind of high-paced dancing cardio or something like that. I nearly died, but I did walk 2 miles today up a large hill so I feel like that's progress. Even though the same pizza delivery guy passed by me with 2 separate deliveries while I was trying to hike up the street! :lol:

Good start! Up hill is difficult. Keep with it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, good going with your new lifestyles eating and exercise wise!

I just wanted to share a delicious new and low calorie good for you dish my dh and I have started making. It's cauliflower and beans and it is a great substitute for mashed potatoes. It is surprisingly delicious especially added to my big salads. Here is a recipe I found for you but not exactly how we do it.

http://detoxinista.com/2012/11/mashed-cauliflower-vegan-paleo/

First time we had this dish my dh boiled the cauliflower and then mashed it by hand adding olive oil and a few spices and today he is adding white beans to make it creamier. I love it simply prepared so we will see how it is with the added beans.

We (my dh that is) have also been shredding cabbage (red and green) and adding it to all our salads. Cabbage is a super food and really healthy and a nice addition to salads.

My dh has been going to a lower carb eating lifestyle due to a borderline HgA1C so we are being very proactive and hoping this gets his number down. He has also reduced the amount of alcohol from a cocktail 4-5 times a week to one cocktail less than one a month so fingers crossed this does the trick.

dsc04687.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy -- That sounds delicious! I need to get some cauliflower and try that. Please let us know how it works out with added beans!

Not much exercise (well, none) Saturday. I needed to sleep and take care of my cold and sore back. Did have a giant salad for brunch. Lots of mixed green leaves, shredded purple cabbage, fresh tomatoes, two ounces cheese, and plai, balsamic vinegar drizzle instead of dressing. So yummy!

An hour of pulling weeds this morning. Now lots of got herbal tea and prepping healthy food for the coming week.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys, just joining this thread has really helped me. Seriously--shortly after I joined you, we went up to Lake Geneva WI for a very short spring break getaway last week, and I definitely indulged (I mean, when in Wisconsin you must eat cheese curds) but I was much better about eating just a small portion rather than finishing everything. (Confession: I also had a mashed potato omelet, but: these are my two favorite foods--mash and eggs--AND I'm pregnant. My defenses were nil.)

Anyway, since we came back home I have been eating healthy and not overeating, which is also helping me so much at night because for a few weeks I was waking up with no bump but going to bed with a HUGE food baby. I think the simple act of posting here helped me flip a switch, or something. So, THANK YOU!

I'm still feeling horribly nauseous for much of the day, but now when I do have a window of time when I feel okay I make sure to move around. My weight has not gone up at all since I posted, and prior to joining you it was creeping up a bit every day. Woohoo!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've made cauliflower mash before, and it just wasn't creamy enough - the BEANS are genius!

Saturday, I kept picking wrong turns to take, so we ended up walking a lot more than we would have had I been born with a sense of direction :confused: . It was the most walking I've done in a LONG time - 4+ miles! Sunday was 3+ yay!

I got on the scale this AM, and I am officially down a pound! My diet has not changed much, but seeing the distances you guys walk on a normal basis in your day to day really has made me aware of how little I walk. This week, I hope to make 2 miles the minimum distance, and hit 3+ miles a few times.

One thing I try to do is eat off bread plates as much as possible. One helping of anything on a dinner plate sure doesn't look like enough food, but put it on a bread plate, and the psychological effect of seeing it fill up the plate makes it mentally satiating.

Haven - I hope your nausea passes soon!

TooPatient - for colds, my friend swears by tea with ginger, honey, and lemon! Since you like chai, you will probably welcome the ginger zing! (ginger :errrr: me!)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1458577077|4008937 said:
You guys, just joining this thread has really helped me. Seriously--shortly after I joined you, we went up to Lake Geneva WI for a very short spring break getaway last week, and I definitely indulged (I mean, when in Wisconsin you must eat cheese curds) but I was much better about eating just a small portion rather than finishing everything. (Confession: I also had a mashed potato omelet, but: these are my two favorite foods--mash and eggs--AND I'm pregnant. My defenses were nil.)

Anyway, since we came back home I have been eating healthy and not overeating, which is also helping me so much at night because for a few weeks I was waking up with no bump but going to bed with a HUGE food baby. I think the simple act of posting here helped me flip a switch, or something. So, THANK YOU!

I'm still feeling horribly nauseous for much of the day, but now when I do have a window of time when I feel okay I make sure to move around. My weight has not gone up at all since I posted, and prior to joining you it was creeping up a bit every day. Woohoo!

:appl:

Nice way to balance yummy indulgences! Awesome that you are moving a bit more too. I hope the nausea goes away soon!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1458579172|4008945 said:
I've made cauliflower mash before, and it just wasn't creamy enough - the BEANS are genius!

Saturday, I kept picking wrong turns to take, so we ended up walking a lot more than we would have had I been born with a sense of direction :confused: . It was the most walking I've done in a LONG time - 4+ miles! Sunday was 3+ yay!

I got on the scale this AM, and I am officially down a pound! My diet has not changed much, but seeing the distances you guys walk on a normal basis in your day to day really has made me aware of how little I walk. This week, I hope to make 2 miles the minimum distance, and hit 3+ miles a few times.

One thing I try to do is eat off bread plates as much as possible. One helping of anything on a dinner plate sure doesn't look like enough food, but put it on a bread plate, and the psychological effect of seeing it fill up the plate makes it mentally satiating.

Haven - I hope your nausea passes soon!

TooPatient - for colds, my friend swears by tea with ginger, honey, and lemon! Since you like chai, you will probably welcome the ginger zing! (ginger :errrr: me!)

That is hilarious! I have been the one picking all the wrong directions too so I feel your pain. Great walk though!
Congratulations on the pound! That is a great start! Keep it up!

So... Lots of herbal tea, honey, lemon, ginger (it is yummy and does help!), sleep. Fever yesterday up over 100. All the signs of infection. Took today off and went to doctor (since I have had cough for 2+ months and sinus/drainage for 2-3 weeks). Have antibiotics. Hope to feel better soon. Good news is no strep!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results