shape
carat
color
clarity

Wear Makeup If You Want To Get The Job...

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I work in a large company with a lot of women in high positions, and most wear little to no make up. I follow the lead of the female VP that I report to (we're about the same age-40), and that is little bit of neutral make up to even out skintone. Basically, I wear foundation, and pencil in my brows and tinted lip balm, some days I'll wear eyeliner and mascara, some days I don't (no time), it's about 50/50. The only places I'm completely comfortable wearing NO makeup is at home and at the gym.

Yikes, edited to remove the picture I accidently posted with no make-up. I'm no brave enough to share that with the WWW.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think makeup should be a choice, not a requirement. If it is to be expected for women, men should be held to the same expectation at the workplace, especially since it is viewed as helping a person look groomed and polished.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I feel much better with makeup. I just feel I look better. And I do wear a full face at home too. :oops: I feel underdressed without it.

A few people here have talked about contouring their faces. How the hell do you do that?? When I try, I look as if I've got dirty stripes on my face.

Agree that it should be socially acceptable for men to wear makeup. My husband went on TV once and he looked great with some foundation on - more even skintone, and younger.

I don't paint my toenails except in the height of summer. I like to do my fingernails but all too often they get neglected. A top coat helps with chipping.

One thing that I rarely wear is lipstick. However, my mother says that it brightens up my face, which is naturally very pale, so I'm going to try to wear it more. The reason I don't really wear it is because I feel it comes off very quickly. That's probably because when I put it on, I keep mashing my lips together afterwards as I'm not used to the feel of it. But I have some nice lipsticks so am going to try to use them!

One thing I do like to do is have an at-home facial: cleanse face, use facial scrub, boil kettle and put the water in the sink, stand over sink with towel over head for a few minutes to steam face, (also clears nose and sinuses completely if you have a cold) then apply face mask and relax in the bath for 15 mins. Then wash off, tone, moisturise. I LOVE to do that. It's so relaxing and is much cheaper than a day spa! (I do invest in nice Estee Lauder, Clarins and Lancome products, though.)

Chrono - I have also complained to my husband about different grooming standards for men and women in the workplace. His response is that women where he works seem to get away with non-professional outfits showing lots of flesh and cleavage whereas men have to cover up and wear long trousers year-round, and closed shoes not flip-flops as some women wear. He also says to me, be thankful that you don't have to shave your face every day and wear a tight band round your neck with the shirt done right up too. (Shirt and tie.) Hmm. I guess he has a point.

Anyway, whether we like it or not, it seems that standards of grooming for women at work do include some "discreet daytime makeup", as my school rulebook put it.

Oddly, when I worked in London, none of the women wore makeup, and I didn't wear it very much, either. Could be because we were all much younger then, like 24-29. I'm 39 now and I think as I've got older, I've desired a more "done" look. Scary. Maybe this is the end result of that process:

hfjshf788934.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL!

Lipstick never lasts on me as I drink a glass of water every 2 hours. I'm too lazy to touch up or reapply. I also rub my eyes too often so goodbye mascara and eye shadow. Nail polish never lasts more than 2 days on me before it chips plus I hate that tight feeling of something constricting my nails. I do love a good facial session though; the steam and massage feels wonderful!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I usually don't wear any make up, only few times a year. Mainly because I dislike the process of take off eye make up, foundation on my phone screen whenever I use it etc etc... my SO also prefers me without make up. just skincare and sunscreen~

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results