shape
carat
color
clarity

VERY stained vinyl in-ground pool liner... ICKY, ICKY EW!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have been busy working in the gardens and back yard all day... finally opened the pool and OMG! worst staining EVER!! :knockout: :shock: It looks like the colour of lemon/lime gatorade or Mountain Dew - its disgusting, plus iron staining on the sides of the vinyl where the water was lowered to. We pulled out a bloated squirrel, chipmunk and a frog or two, plus dealt with a wolf spider when pulling off the cover. Nature at its finest :wink2: DH thought last fall that the closing did not go as smoothly as it has in the past, so something somehow went wrong.

I know there are chemicals out there that can do wonders and probably restore it to its former pristine glory, but I was hoping for some pool owners ideas/suggestions to help minimize the amount of chemicals we'll need to put in.

Thought 1 - lower the pool water to next to nothing and scrub the HE// out of it (serious man/woman power involved in this approach and even tho we have 3 kids... ya... don't count on them as being involved, so for 2 50+ year olds... we aren't relishing this option...);

Thought 2 - lower the pool water a bit more; use the pool brush and find a cleaner that works on the edges to remove the rust stains then throw in whatever it takes to get the "Mountain Dew" out;

Thought 3 - get a new liner!! Easiest, but most expensive, and --- to all my PS buddies --- why spend money on a pool liner when there is bling to be bought, right? Right?? RIGHT!!!!

Any ideas out there? I'm always so amazed at the collective wisdom out in PS land, so please if you have any advice, we are eager to hear it! Poor DH doesn't want to be faced w me nagging him that the pool isn't perfect!! ;))

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: VERY stained vinyl in-ground pool liner... ICKY, ICKY EW

:wavey: ENERGY! You're back in Canada. So glad you made it! I know how you love to fly! No suggestions on the pool just dropped in to say :wavey: !!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The reason I'd spring for a new cover is the remote chance that breathing fumes/dust of that death-slime may make someone sick.
Also for health reasons I try to minimize optional chemicals in and around our home.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I'm with Kenny; new liner for sure.

The pink slime could be botulism or something toxic like that. :knockout: And kids, when they swim, let the water go in and out of their mouths. So unless you want to drink that, it's time for a new liner.

Think of it this way; it's easier to get a new liner than it is to take a barfing kid to the hospital. :|

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mayk|1370812020|3462238 said:
:wavey: ENERGY! You're back in Canada. So glad you made it! I know how you love to fly! No suggestions on the pool just dropped in to say :wavey: !!
Oh how I love to fly.....NOT!! A full Xanax from San Diego to Toronto and I was out like a light. :twirl: Poor DH had to maneuver me thru customs and told me to just stand up straight and don't speak!! (I felt like one of the labs!! Lol)

It's a pretty deep dark secret that I'm terrified of being in a tin can 37,000 ft above the crust of the earth, hurling thru space at 500mph.... I'm shocked you got that out of me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here is what we are dealing with. No small kids in our world. The youngest is 19 and none of our friends have little kids either, but I hear what you are saying about chemicals etc.

_7004.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enrichi, beware.
You don't know what may be waiting in that black slime.

creature_from_the_black_lagoon.jpg

creature-from-the-black-lagoon-screenshot.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh Kenny!! Don't mess w me!! That's TOTALLY what I think and why I'm never in lakes or oceans...even my own pool after dark!! You've hit on yet another fear of mine...water! I'm such a wimp!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:Up_to_something: :D

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rats- my career as a mermaid just tanked! :lol: "tanked"!! Lol

D

Deactivated member 42515

Poor drowned animals...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the trouble free pool forum is incredibly awesome. I'm fairly certain your pool just needs to be shocked and filtered for a few days, but let them tell you the deal.

You can also hire a pool guy and have him give you a full assessment. Pool troubles involving water are much more frightening LOOKING than they really happen to be. If it was your filter or if the liner were ripped, that would be something else entirely and much more expensive.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

No advice (other than calling a pro) but wanted to say that I'm glad you're home safe and sound! On the way home from the GTG, I sat near a woman who had never flown before and she was TERRIFIED!! Literally screamed through take off and landing. I'm usually a steady flyer, but her terror was contagious and I was a bit freaked out, so I got a small taste of what it must be like for you....decidedly NOT fun!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

we had a similar situation when we moved here. I asked my husband what he did and he said the following. Drain the water. Get some strong bleach and do a test sample on a small area to make sure it doesn't ruin the colour of the liner if it is coloured. If it is O.K said he would basically hire or buy a pressure cleaner get some strong bleach or specific pool bleach that is strong and spray it all down a few times.

Then fill with water and get some good algaecide and some more pool bleach and let it cycle a few times. It should come fairly clean. If not then you will need a new liner.

You can pay people to do the above steps for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

I sympathize with you, Enerchi. With the kids and I pushing DH for an inground pool wayyyyy back in '76, DH succumbed as he had a friend in the pool biz who could help with the installation :cheeky: .

I should mention too that DH is very scared of water 8). Long story shortened: His dad, sensitive creature that he was, took him to a beach, dumped him in the water and screamed, "SWIM!!!". He was about six years old and he was traumatized for life. Poor baby :nono: Nevertheless, we went ahead with construction.

Every year we spent countless $$$ and time opening it ourselves :bigsmile: What fun!

The kids had a great time enjoying the 'fruits of our labour' and now we have a granddaughter who is willing to help out with both opening and closing duties. We are grateful for her help, but are getting 'too long in the tooth' to go through this procedure twice a year (opening and closing).

There is no easy answer to remedy the scourge in your pool, Enerchi. You could scrub and scrub and still get no where.

I recommend that you spring for a new liner installed by a pool company as that water is the worst I've seen and I'm sure you value your health over trying to battle the toxicity that you have now.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but IMO, this is the safest fix. :((

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Clueless here, but where it freezes why don't people drain their pool in the fall?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny|1370828702|3462416 said:
Clueless here, but where it freezes why don't people drain their pool in the fall?

apparently if you empty the pool fully in extreme cold locations, it could cave in! So what we do in the fall, after most of the leaves have fallen and we've skimmed, skimmed and skimmed some more, DH drains to below the air jets and does chemical things to preserve the water and puts foam blocks in the return and jets. Then it's covered w a pool tarp and a leaf net on top. This year we opened it late because we were going to be traveling so I think the green is algae from the warmth and extra rain here. Also, when i was power washing the cover, I discovered a few holes in the tarp which let in way more "leaf soup compost" than normal.

Bad start to a new pool year but Ive sent off a few requests for pool liner quotes as well as house call to assess the situation, just wait and see now!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

No problem Kenny! I kind of impressed myself w that reply! Proof that I really DO pay attention when DH shows and tells me stuff! :praise:

Thanks guys for the ideas...going to check out a pool forum now!

And Yenny, while I don't scream and terrify others, I am single handedly responsible for the death grip that keeps the plane in the air. It's tough work but I do my best for the good of mankind, so we all land safely! Sure wish the pilot would give me a high five on the way out- just once- that's all I ask for! :roll:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

I don't know anything about pools, but I just wanted to say that yours is a very pretty pool, when it isn't covered in all that stuff! When it's all fixed, please do post a pic of it looking its shiny best. Maybe you could pose on the diving board in your swimmie!!

I've always liked the idea of having a pool but don't like the idea of all that maintenance.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1370828702|3462416 said:

Kenny, I'm so glad you asked this becuase I was wondering the same thing.

Enerchi's explanation makes so much sense too becuase I kept thinking the water would freeze and expand, causing damage.

Damn, the stuff I learn on this site!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock

Many pools do not have a hydrostatic relief valve that would prevent the pool from popping, so please do NOT empty your pool if you aren't sure.
Storms and medium holes in your cover can create this in a few weeks.
Hiring a 'one time' pool service might be your best shot. Chemicals [sand filters, DE, chlorine tablets, chlorine shock packets and algaecide] are expensive and you might not want them around after DIY.
Keep in mind that it may take up to 4 days for the pool to clear up.
-Check if you have a Rinse port built in before you start.
-Remove all debris with pool net.
-If you know what kind of filter system you have [ 'Sand', "DE" or "Cartridge"] the pool supply can help you with the right materials and amounts i.e. chlorine tablets or shock packets, algaecide and right filters.
-Backwash the filter into position. Open external backwash valve to wash to divert dirty water. Repeat until your water is clear and watch your pressure readings in the filter --it should stay below 18.
-S l o w l y add DE filter powder to skimmer [keep kids/pets out]. Auto vacuum.
-Do not use your automatic pool vacuum to clean the pool [you will be sorry]; pool guys have special vacuums with much larger heads to scrape walls. Good Luck!

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock

I had a similar issue with a liner; it cleaned up after some scrubbing and hard work. The previous poster gave some really good advice and I would follow that, if possible. If not, hire a pool guy/girl to give you an estimate. If you have issues with chemicals I would go that route. They use the chemicals every day and know just what and how much to use. My son actually owns I pool service company in SoCal. I had to eventually replace the liner in my pool and that was a PAIN! I walked around in frigid water (from a well) for hours trying to get the wrinkles out. I would make replacing the liner my final option (IMO). Good Luck!

charleston1

Shiny_Rock

Noooo don't buy a new liner unless it is ripped. A good pool person can fix it, it may take a week or so and they might come back 2 or 3 times and the total cost including opening might be $500.

A new liner (if I remember correctly was over $4,000, maybe it was closer to $5,000. You probably need a new cover ($100 or so) as that one probably has ripped and holes in it as you mentioned.

My pool looked almost as bad a couple of years ago (due to holes in the cover) and I called "the pool girl" (googled my city and then "pool service" or something like that). First I tried to fix it on my own and it was frustrating. The pool girl (yes that is what she calls herself) had mine looking great in a couple of days.

Call a couple of companies after looking them up on the internet on a review forum (the first guy I called was an idiot and he was a no show after I took time off work). I now have her open & close the pool and it is the best money spent! I absolutely hated opening the pool, washing the cover, emptying the water bags, etc. She charges me $300 to open including all chemicals and it is sooooo worth it.

Honestly I don't think it is as bad as you think :wavey

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out

Ninna

Shiny_Rock

Covers aren't popular here for many reasons: Kids and pets get trapped, warmer temps during winter, odor and maintenance.
You can get them online for about $300 but that only applies to standard shape which is not your case. Installation is around $150.
Re green pool: It's not impossible but like one poster advised, those chemicals come in large containers, I'm not sure you need all that much and having them around might not be safe.
It costs around $230 to turn a green pool clear in my area.
Patching a liner can be painful, you have to clean & dry well then patch both sides one being larger than the other for strength. First side has to be set before you try on opposite side. Pool guys in your are should have liner patches and Boxer glue in their tool box.
I would be back to check on this thread, best of luck ::)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Had a fun filled trip to the pool store, this evening!! And... as long as the liner is not torn or compromised (which it is not, its all intact and fine..) then they say its all easy peasy to clean up the staining. Wow - I did not see that coming!

So, first step is to shock it (done) and then take a Vitamin C tablet and rub it on the rust stain - is it caused by copper or iron - which will determine what the next step is to adjust. We are on a well here and we know it is iron, but ... vitamin C tablet confirmed. Now, we will order a water truck in the next day or so and they will fill it up so we can shock again, brush the sides, vacuum/backwash/<?something else that I've forgotten?> and then it should be fine. I brought in pics on my iphone and they said that was nothing - showed us some other before and after pics... yikes! ours looks like fresh spring water in comparison!!

so - yay! - no new pool liner required; fresh 'city filtered' water will be used and if needed, we can hire them to do the cleaning... phew! And lesson learned ---- do not wait this long to open the pool next year! apparently its best to open and close once its consistently below 15C so you prevent algae blooms and just keep the pump circulating.

As soon as its all purrrrdy again, I'll show you the results! The implication being, that all will follow the plan as set out above. Variations on a theme, do not please me... just sayin'!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

What does "shocking" a pool mean? It sounds intriguing.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Basically, it's over chlorinating it. He thought three cycles of shock should do it, plus the new water, plus back washing and vacuuming.

I dunno... I just leave it to "Juan the pool boy" (aka- DH!). Of course, I could race up to the pool and scream "I'm 54 and pregnant!!!" and see how things go. It would sure shock Juan, that's for sure :lol:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Glad this isn't going to cost you thousands, I know you were concerned about it. You must be relieved :)) Happy for you!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1370923509|3463222 said:
Basically, it's over chlorinating it. He thought three cycles of shock should do it, plus the new water, plus back washing and vacuuming.

I dunno... I just leave it to "Juan the pool boy" (aka- DH!). Of course, I could race up to the pool and scream "I'm 54 and pregnant!!!" and see how things go. It would sure shock Juan, that's for sure :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love the way you've re-styled your hubby into "Juan the pool boy"!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results