carat
color
clarity

VENT: Ripped off for ring resize

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I just need to tell someone before I explode: :angryfire:

About 2 months ago I went to the local jeweller to hubby's ring stretched a little (1/2 size) so make it more comfortable. Cost me $AU30 and I was fine about it.

I went back to same jeweller last week to get my own stretched a little too as well as hubby's a little more too (another 1/2 size again). She mentioned nothing about pricing changes and I did not enquire specifically. Went to collect them today she has asked for $AU110 as payment!!!! :shock: I said that better be a joke as that is straight up extortion and I had paid only $30 for my last one. She was suddenly very flustered & defensive. Said the new prices were $55 each flat rate no matter how many sizes up it down. I asked why as a repeat customer she did not mention this before i had the work done but she had no explanation. Sorry to say I absolutely saw red and refused to pay the full amount. She finally relented to let me only pay $AU85 which is still completely ridiculous. I made it clear I NEVER would have done my resizing work there if I had known and would never patronise that jeweller again. He didn't even do a very good job - I can see where he stretched it & both weren't cleaned properly either. Soooo angry right now! :angryfire:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can definitely understand why you would be surprised and upset considering your last sizing was $30. I guess it is a lesson for all of us to always ask pricing up front prior to doing work. That is not an unusual amount in the US for resizing, however, especially when going up in size.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1416354040|3786024 said:
I can definitely understand why you would be surprised and upset considering your last sizing was $30. I guess it is a lesson for all of us to always ask pricing up front prior to doing work. That is not an unusual amount in the US for resizing, however, especially when going up in size.

+1

You weren't ripped off.
84% is a crazy increase, but I agree that it's on you to ask before the work is agreed to.
Price increases happen, but I'm sorry you just had bad timing. :((

It was nice of them to lower the price a bit.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah look totally acknowledge I should have checked the cost - I take full responsibility for that one and believe me lesson learnt! But going in expecting to pay $60 and discovering the cost was almost DOUBLE is completely ridiculous! :o Still believe it's a rip off...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last time I had a ring sized it was £25. Now its closer to £50. I suppose losing weight is the way to go for me :bigsmile:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I paid $75 for my last resize.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a quote from Tiffany's to have a rose gold ring resized up by from 5 to 5.5. They quoted me $150.

I am not sure if I will do it as the ring is only 1.7 mm so it does fit in my finger right now, but I'm definitely glad I asked before going there and dropping it off!

_24386.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure why they didn't tell you or quote how much it would be before they did the work, most good jewellers even here in Australia tell you how much it's going to be before they do anything.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's exactly how much I paid in Canadian dollars to have just one ring resized last year :(sad From my perspective it looks like you got a pretty good deal although I know it's a shock to have to pay more than double what you were expecting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results