shape
carat
color
clarity

VAPID Lapid, Yo

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, R: words fail me but loving, nurturing and healing thoughts do not. May you both find peace.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL, I'm so so sorry. Sending you and your wife lots dust.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I should update you all again. last months pet showed huge increases in existing metastases and new sites of lymph, lung, and liver.
It may be in her brain by now, as her executive function is showing defecits. She did not know that there were new sites of metasetases, even though she was right there and listening when the Dr told us. She cannot follow a line of reasoning, even something as simple as what route the parade goes. she lost 10 pounds in the last month. Monday last week I made her go to the DR. She had not eating on over a week, and was weird, lethargic, rapid and/or irregular heart beat... She was furious with me for calling the Dr. She refused to go. I told her the Dr said it was that or the ER. She certainly doesnt want to go back there. She hates me, why am I torturing her, dont I know she doesnt feel well and needs to lie down? So it took hours longer to get her there and stress levels we could have done without. They took blood. Then the Dr said we still had to go to the ER. DW refused. tumor markers tripled, and wave been steadily increasing over the last 5 months. creatinine super high and also has been increasing over time. Potassium at 6!!! red count way low, white count also. heamagobblins low hemacrit low. Suspect acute kidney failure. since she wouldnt go to ER they gave her a prescription for kexelate. I went to fill it and found that NO pharmacy in NYC had it; our local one ordered it and we had it the next day. in two days that brought her potassium down to 5.2; not good but the right direction. tomorrow we go back to Dr Onco. DW wants them to take out the lumps in left breast now because they are bigger and hurt. The DRs keep scheduling appointments further off for evaluating that, as though they are humoring her, but not expecting her to last that long. Tomorrow I will be asking specific questions that they may not want to answer.

So we live on the fourth floor of a big old loft building. High ceilings, long stairs. Friday night the elevator went out. An odd coincidence as monday, yesterday, it was scheduled to be taken out and replaced with a new one. That is supposed to take only 5 weeks, but we all expect it will take ten. Now she has to go down the stairs and back up for every appointment during the hottest 5 weeks of the year. Meanwhile, I cant seem to come up with an appealing low potassium diet. Especially with the issues from her jaw.

If anyone has suggestions for low potassium meals, all I find online are lists of high and low potassium foods. the low K foods are a difficult group to make meals from, especially for someone who wants a high fat high dairy high sugar diet.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must be exhausted. Not only are you the primary caregiver, you are everything else including practically having a medical degree in oncology at this point. I'm wondering if there is any high quality meal service that could take the low potassium meal concern off your plate? I wish I lived closer; I would happily spell you here and there so you could sit and have some time for yourself. Can you call in friends for help?

Just some thoughts and my way of trying to offer support; not trying to create any work for you or burden you further, just trying to lift you up. Sending dust, which I've been told multiplies like bunnies.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL, nothing of any value I can offer other than to say I think of you and DW often and hope you are also taking care of yourself. As always, biggest hugs outgoing to you both.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi Vapid,

The only thing I can offer is this list of recipes. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/special-diets/low-potassium/

I have used all recipes often, it's legit. I vote for the pork chops, followed by the blueberry muffins or apple strudel muffins.

Special diets are the worst, we are all on a diabetic diet since DH was diagnosed, it just makes even a simple meal a pain in the . . .

Has she at least seen that there is no heroism in using less painkillers? If not, is there something you can sprinkle on her food?

Here's more dust your way . . .

ETA this looks good http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Angel-Food-Dessert/Detail.aspx?evt19=1&referringHubId=17162

It's made with cool whip, so it Seems like dairy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vapid, I want you to know I am thinking of you and your dw and have not wanted to bother you but if there is anything I can do at all please please please don't hesitate to ask. I cannot tell you how many times I was about to email you and then I stopped because I just didn't want to disturb you. I am returning to NYC next week so just putting that out there.

I will vouch for the allrecipe link iLander shared. We have made some delicious desserts from their recipes.

Here is the pinterest page on low potassium meals. Some of these look good.

https://www.pinterest.com/rainonjane/low-potassium-diet-recipes/

And here are some other recipes I thought looked good.

http://www.kidneycommunitykitchen.ca/archives/myrecipes/fresh-berry-fruit-salad-with-yogurt-cream/

Berry Salad:
250 ml (1 cup) red cherries, pitted and halved
250 ml (1 cup) blackberries
250 ml (1 cup) raspberries
250 ml (1 cup) blueberries
30 ml (2 tbsp) honey

Yogurt Cream:
500 ml (2 cups) Greek yogurt
60 ml (¼ cup) honey
15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice

n a bowl, combine the berries with the honey.

In a Separate bowl, mix the yogurt cream ingredients together.

Spread yogurt cream in the centre of each plate and garnish with the berry fruit salad.

http://www.kidneycommunitykitchen.ca/archives/myrecipes/spicy-shrimp-linguine/

-12 large shrimp, you can also use 6oz chicken breast, cut into bit-sized pieces
-1 Tbsp canola oil
-1 small clove garlic, minced
-1 pepperoncini or pickled jalapeno pepper
-¼ cup prepared salsa (mild, med, or hot)
-¼ cup 10% table cream
-2 cups cooked linguine (or any shape pasta)
-¼ cup cilantro, chopped

Cook pasta according to directions.
Meanwhile, sauté shrimp in oil in a medium-sized sauté pan, over medium-high heat.
When shrimp starts to turn pink/orange add garlic, pepperoncini and salsa and turn heat to low. Continue cooking until shrimp is completely cooked.
Once pasta is ready, turn heat off and add cream to shrimp mixture along with the pasta. Stir to coat the pasta with the sauce.
Serve with fresh cilantro sprinkled over the top.

http://www.kidneycommunitykitchen.ca/archives/myrecipes/honey-grilled-pork-and-pear-kabobs/

1 lb (454 g) Canadian Pork Loin or Shoulder Blade Roast or Chops, boneless, well trimmed
1/2 cup (125 ml) apple juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) Dijon mustard
2 tbsp (25 ml) honey
1 medium pear, cut in 4 wedges
1 medium red onion, cut in 8 wedges
1 sweet red or green pepper, cut into 1"/2.5 cm pieces
1 small zucchini, sliced

If using bamboo skewers, presoak in water 1 hour. Place pork cubes in a resealable plastic bag, non-metal bowl or sealable container. In a separate bowl, combine apple juice, Dijon mustard, and honey and pour over pork. Seal or cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.

Remove pork from marinade, reserving marinade in a small saucepan. Bring marinade to a boil and boil for at least 1 minute. Thread pork onto skewers, alternating with pieces of pear, red onion, green or red peppers and zucchini.

Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Place kabobs on lightly oiled grill and brush with marinade; close barbecue cover and grill over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with apple juice marinade. Serve with rice.

http://www.kidneycommunitykitchen.ca/archives/myrecipes/apple-and-blueberry-crisp/

Crisp
1 1/4 cups (310 ml) quick-cooking rolled oats
1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar
1/4 cup (60 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons (90 ml) non-hydrogenated margarine, melted

Filling
1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar
4 teaspoons (20 ml) cornstarch
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (not thawed)
2 cups (500 ml) grated or chopped apples
1 tablespoon (15 ml) margarine, melted
1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice

With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350 °F.
In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the butter and stir until the mixture is just moistened. Set aside.
In a 20-cm (8-inch) square baking dish, combine the brown sugar and cornstarch. Add the fruits and lemon juice and toss to combine. Top with the crisp mixture and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until the crisp is golden brown. Serve warm or cold.

http://www.kidneycommunitykitchen.ca/archives/myrecipes/cranberry-glazed-pork-chops/

4 thin pork loin chops (about 4 oz each)
¼ tsp. Ground black pepper
2 tsp. Cornstarch
¾ cup apple-cranberry juice
½ cup dried cranberries
1 tsp. Dried tarragon
1 Tbsp. Minced fresh parsley
1 tsp. Honey
2 cups cooked rice (about 1 cup raw)

Sprinkle both sides of the chops with pepper. Put a non-stick skillet lightly brushed or sprayed with oil on medium heat. Add the chops and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch into the apple –cranberry juice until dissolved. Then add the juice mixture to the skillet, stirring and scraping any brown bits from the bottom.

Stir in the cranberries, herbs and honey. Cook and stir until slightly thickened.

Add the chops to the skillet and spoon the sauce over the chops. Heat for 2 -3 minutes. Serve each chop over ½ cup of rice.

http://www.kidneycommunitykitchen.ca/archives/myrecipes/lime-grilled-turkey/

½ cup (125 mL) lime juice
¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) honey, liquid
1 tsp (5 mL) thyme leaves, dried
1 tsp (5 mL) rosemary, dried
⅔ lb (300 g) turkey breast, skinless, boneless

1. Make marinade by mixing the first five ingredients.
2. Set aside 2 tbsp (30 mL) of marinade for basting.
3. Slice turkey breast in half lengthwise to make thinner pieces (like a hamburger bun is cut in half).
4. Add turkey to marinade and place in fridge for 1 – 2 hours.
5. Preheat oven broiler on high (500°F) or preheat barbeque.
6. Broil or grill turkey for 4 minutes per side until cooked through.
7. Use marinade set aside in step 2 to baste turkey while cooking.
8. Throw out leftover marinade.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I just want to say how kind and thoughtful it is for you to write out all those recipes.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL, I am so sorry about your DW getting worse. So very sorry, and I wish there was something useful that I could say. When someone is terminally ill It's a very, very weird time, like inhabiting another world which looks like your normal world but doesn't feel like it. Advanced breast cancer is so awful. I would recommend a caregivers' support group if possible, and/or a counselor. However, I know it's probably very hard to leave your DW. But if there's any way that you can take advantage of resources offered to caregivers at your hospital...I wish I had done that way before I did. Thinking of you xxx

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1436300649|3900028 said:
Missy, I just want to say how kind and thoughtful it is for you to write out all those recipes.

+1. Missy is amazingly thoughtful and kind.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Not to take away from what Missy did, but isn't yogurt a high potassium food? :confused:

Is Greek yogurt somehow low in potassium?

This is the same thing I ran into with diabetic recipes. The American Diabetes Association offers quite a few recipes which are very high in sugar (up to 17 grams per serving!). I don't understand that either :confused:

This says all yogurt is high potassium
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/potassium

This says greek yogurt is not high in potassium
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/590715/2

Here is a write up:
Yogurt Potassium Content
The recommended dietary allowance for potassium is 4,700 milligrams per day for adults. Plain low-fat yogurt contains 380 milligrams per 8-ounce serving, or 11 percent of the daily value, and the same size serving of plain yogurt made with whole milk contains 420 milligrams, or 12 percent of the daily value. Because of the way Greek yogurt is made, it contains slightly less potassium, with only 250 milligrams in a 6-ounce serving.

But maybe 250 mgs isn't considered high?

So, not sure what to think :think:

But remember, NO STAR FRUIT! :wavey: The oxalic acid will put her right into renal failure. Watch out for oxalic acid, I think I posted a PSA about this a while back. :shock:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
So sorry the update isn't a positive one. As usual, I don't know what to say, but know that my thoughts are with you and DW.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
VL,
I don't know exactly what to say . . . other than I'm very sorry, and you and your DW will be in my prayers.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,

Would she be willing to stay somewhere durring elevator replacement? Maybe you could sell her on it as a vacation or honeymoon.
If you can manage a hotel, they might even be able to take care of the special diet.

Sending you both big hugs. I know this is a difficult time.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL -- Just wanted to stop by and let you know I am thinking of you. Continuing to send you hugs.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1437358387|3905015 said:
VL -- Just wanted to stop by and let you know I am thinking of you. Continuing to send you hugs.

I was just thinking the same so I'm glad you posted. You have a whole gang of folks thinking of you both on a regular basis, VL. Don't expect an answer, but just to remind you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1437360510|3905027 said:
TooPatient|1437358387|3905015 said:

I was just thinking the same so I'm glad you posted. You have a whole gang of folks thinking of you both on a regular basis, VL. Don't expect an answer, but just to remind you.

That's true Vapid. Sending more good thoughts and hugs your way. Hope you are both staying cool in this oppressive heat.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid, I just wanted you to know that I'm reading this thread and that your wife and you are in my thoughts. I so sorry you two have go though this. I lost my mother from breast, lung, and spine cancer last year. She wasn't diagnosed until three weeks before she died. I have been reeling over it. I lost my favorite aunt to breast, colin, and brain cancer about a year before that. My grandfather died right after my aunt died. My mother always said that she was going to live to be 90. It was so shocking and the sadness I feel can't be put into words. You are being brave and wonderful. I know it must be so hard for you but your love is such a blessing for your wife. Big, big hugs.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL-

I am still here. I have been tongue-tied because I am helpless in the face of your problem. But I am reading and thinking of you and your wife. Your decision to work out rather than to go mad is brilliant. I have never been challenged in the way you are being challenged now, but my answer to dealing my struggles has been to teach a citizenship class. It has done more for me than I had ever dreamed it would, even though I still return to craziness at home.

Danny, I am very, very sorry for your losses.

Hugs,
Deb

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Have you spoken to anyone at hospice? Does she want to keep fighting? You have both suffered so much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results