shape
carat
color
clarity

Vacationing with jewlery

Nick210

Rough_Rock
Whats your take on traveling with your jewelry? I'm going to propose to my GF before we go away on vacation and was seriously thinking about picking up a replica sterling silver CZ ring that almost looks identical to hers. Found one for pretty cheap but was wondering what others did lol.
I know there's a reason why you have insurance on these types of things but still, why go through the headache?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, depending on insurance to give you 'peace of mind' on vacation is silly.
You may be killed for your jewelry.

Personally I don't insure but remain discrete and prudent about where I bling out.
If I feel unsafe somewhere I'll either put my ring in a pocket or spin it around so the diamond is towards my palm.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I insure my ER and wear enjoy wearing it. I don't insure any of my other jewelry as it is just too expensive as it all adds up. However I wear what I want and if anything should happen to the other pieces, well, it's just jewelry and none of it (besides my black opal) is irreplaceable.

My philosophy is to enjoy my jewelry and while I am smart about it I rarely don't wear what I want to wear because what's the point of that? I/We bought it to enjoy and that's just what I do. If I am going to be in a known dangerous area I'm not going to wear it but for the most part anything can happen at any time and I refuse to live my life scared. I love beautiful things and I enjoy wearing them.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It depends where you are vacationing. If you are going to a resort in Mexico I wouldn't bother getting a relica as long as she is OK with it. If there is a safe in the room I would put it there when going into the ocean etc.

however, if you are going to safari in Africa I would probably leave it at home. I wear a small ring that I have with an heirloom diamond or a stick of eternity bands when my ering isn't appropriate.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On normal vacations, I take my most worn items such as wedding set and diamond studs and watch and not much else. But I am talking about places in the US. I might wear a plain wedding band if I were traveling outside the country.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My last trip, which was to the PS GTG in LV, I brought along all my valuable worldly goods with me :shock: and I was perfectly fine.

Usually, I pare it down to a less valuable ring or two. If I am travelling to the Caribbean its not so much being robbed or having it lost , its just that my fingers swell in the heat and I can't get rings on and off as easily!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe just go ahead and get the replica now, since it is that inexpensive, and after you propose discuss the matter with your fiancée. Then she can have the option not only for vacation purposes, but if her real ring ever needs work she'll have a backup to wear so her finger won't feel naked.

We just insured my e-ring after having it for almost 3 years. I don't travel that often, and I guess we just never got around to it until we started meeting with a financial advisor and saw the numbers along with everything else we were insuring, etc.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Instead of a CZ how about a simple eternity band or a gemstone/diamond eternity? I would take that over a CZ and silver ring anyday. You can get a band for around $400 at IDJ. That might be more then you are willing to spend but I would much rather have a fun stacker that I can wear with my wedding set or trade in/ out vs. a silver CZ ring.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on where I'm going. If the US/Europe/Canada, I take whatever I want. I keep it in my purse while traveling and then in the hotel safe when I'm not wearing it. I don't really travel to anywhere I would feel unsafe, so there's really never a need for me to worry about that sort of situation.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I can't imagine anything more depressing than being proposed to with a CZ replica! Oh, sob. You don't say where you're going but most vacation/tourist places are just fine for wearing e-rings. Unless you plan to laze around Somalia or something, give the poor chick a chance to wear the real thing. If she's nervous, she can leave it in the hotel safe. Hope you have a super time!

--- Laurie

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a cz ring and earrings for travel. Like OP, why deal with the headache ...

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Since the only place I go on vacation anymore is my parent's, whopeee, I don't worry about what I take. But when I used to take real vacations, my rule was to never take anything I wouldn't mind not coming home with. Too many things can and do happen. You can be the most responsible person in the world and still lose or misplace a piece because you're not in your usual routine. My ex-husband lost a watch he really loved and my mother accidentally threw away a necklace my dad had given her in 1961 when they were both in high school (she had wrapped it in kleenex.)
I worked with a guy who lost three :!: wedding rings in Mexico.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
It depends upon where I am vacationing. I definitely do not take anymore than I can wear at all times. So, I would be nervous if you are carrying the diamond ring in your pocket. Also, NEVER leave your jewelry in the room safe! I personally know of people who have left their diamond rings in the room safe, only to have them stolen. :knockout: Perhaps, the hotel safe in the lobby is more secure, but I cannot testify to that. Maybe someone else can chime in?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take my ring with me anywhere in canada and the US. I have not yet travelled outside of those countries since I got my ring, and I am not sure what I would do :read:

I do encourage you NOT to propose with a fake though!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry, I mean no offense to anyone here, but did you guys actually READ the original post??? He clearly states that he has a ring with which to propose, but wonders if he should purchase a faux ring to take on vacation AFTER the proposal.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, right, Monarch! Might help to read carefully. :oops: In that case, why not let her decide if she wants a CZ replacement to take along?

---Laurie

Nick210

Rough_Rock
Ugh.... who said I was proposing with a cz ring???????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Anyway, I bought her a promise ring a few years ago for about a grand so I guess that will suffice if she needs one.
Boy did this thread take a wrong turn lol

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
i tend to turn my ering around if I'm in an uncomfortable area. so it looks like i'm wearing a plain and unimpressive wedding band from the outside with 3.5 carat surprise stone in my palm! and then keep my fist closed around my diamond and use my right hand for everything. i sometimes sleep like this also if i'm away from home and don't feel comfortable taking it off to sleep. stops me from hurting myself with it while i am asleep!

I'm getting married in india in a month and can't think of a safer place to have it than on my person. i will probably not take it off from the moment i leave my house till the moment i get back. my FMIL has warned me not to leave any small easily pocketed valuables in the hotel room, not even in the in room safe.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
ClassyRocks|1372817672|3476345 said:
It depends upon where I am vacationing. I definitely do not take anymore than I can wear at all times. So, I would be nervous if you are carrying the diamond ring in your pocket. Also, NEVER leave your jewelry in the room safe! I personally know of people who have left their diamond rings in the room safe, only to have them stolen. :knockout: Perhaps, the hotel safe in the lobby is more secure, but I cannot testify to that. Maybe someone else can chime in?

exactly this! obviously the hotel has access to all the in room safes. I would probably feel comfortable leaving something large like a laptop or paperwork / passports in a safe but not anything that can fit in a pocket! get insurance that covers your jewellery while travelling. Q report seems to be the best in Australia. as far as i can tell it covers against loss or damage for any reason anywhere in the world. the main exception being while it is at the jewellers being altered or fixed. I am getting this organised before i leave for india

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I would go wih the cz option.but get one that is very similiar in size. Anything larger than a 1.5 carat, just get a smaller cz, because you don't want to get killed for your jewelry. Someone said that earlier in this post, and I agree. Congrats! :appl: :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Robbers don't carry loupes.

When deciding whether to rob you or not, they are not assessing if it's real.

They will rob you, and possibly kill you, for a big fake stone just as easily as a real stone.

Plain band so that it doesn't attract attention is the way to go. Silver is best, because even gold is an attractant.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1372858716|3476552 said:
ClassyRocks|1372817672|3476345 said:

exactly this! obviously the hotel has access to all the in room safes. I would probably feel comfortable leaving something large like a laptop or paperwork / passports in a safe but not anything that can fit in a pocket! get insurance that covers your jewellery while travelling. Q report seems to be the best in Australia. as far as i can tell it covers against loss or damage for any reason anywhere in the world. the main exception being while it is at the jewellers being altered or fixed. I am getting this organised before i leave for india

In our last hotel stay, there was a disclaimer right on the inside of our hotel room that said not responsible for loss or theft of anything, which pretty much says to me, if something gets taken from our room by a staff member, we're out of luck!

I only bring what I can wear all the time. Last trip, I brought diamond studs, silver hoops, and my wedding set. I had to take the hoops out when I slept, but I kept my studs in the whole time. This was in a place where there was a low chance of being mugged...it's mostly about wanting an easy vacation w/out having to concern myself when we're playing around and drinking on the town.

To the OPer, if you're going on a trip to anywhere with a higher crime rate, maybe leave the ring at home or just turn the diamond inward, facing the palm, while walking around certain parts of town. I like the idea of a back-up ring, but I'd not get a CZ. Everyone is different...I'd just feel awkward wearing a CZ...that is why I picked a wedding band that can be worn doing anything b/c we hike and do outdoor stuff.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results