shape
carat
color
clarity

Vacation Suggestions from West Coast

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
DH and I are trying to plan a trip for late May 2011 (around Memorial Day Weekend).

Right now my first choice is NZ since we can fly direct from SFO (we live in the Bay Area) and I have family there. Plus its gorgeous and I know DH would love it.

We both feel like we should at least think about other options. We were also considering Ireland for a bit but its too far for just 1 week and requires a long layover for us on the East Coast.

So let 'em rip!

Cost-wise we would like to keep this to about $3500 total for the week (well really its 10 days since we will leave Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend).

Thanks in advance!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
C-tek, what kind of vacation are you thinking? Adventure/lots of activities, beach, mountains? Any particular area of the world you want to focus on (like Pacific/Oceania for NZ) or are you geographically flexible?

You know I LOVE NZ. And if your DH hasn't been before, he should really go! South or North Island?

ETA: Never mind about geographic - just reread about layovers and stuff for going to Europe. Central America?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Central America is certainly an option. Suggestions? We are not in to Hawaii after spending two weeks in Rarotonga which has decently similar scenery last year.

As for NZ, if we go we will do 2 days in Auckland, 2 days in Wellington, and then the balance on the South Island and then fly back to Auckland the day we leave to head back. I think we would go from late 5/26 (arrive 5/28) to 6/5 since when we fly back we arrive seemingly earlier than we left since you cross back over the dateline and go back a day.

DH is not in to historic stuff that much but loves gorgeous scenery. Thats part of the reason I am drawn to NZ since he can see beach, glacier, and mountains in one trip. Auckland looks like a beautiful city and I know the South Island has a lot to offer. When I went for a month 11 years ago I spent all of the time on the South Island with family. Having some fun activities to do would be nice- kayaking, hiking, etc.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
BELIZE! ;))

If you're going Memorial Day weekend, what about Alaska? If you want scenery, that's an excellent place for it. My family went on an amazing cruise up the Inside Passage when I was 11. I know there were a ton of active excursions, even though we didn't really partake. You could cruise, or you could do something like Anchorage and Fairbanks...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
One consideration is - if you go in May, won't it be winter in NZ? Parts of NZ are gorgeous at any time, like the glaciers, but when I went in March it was pretty chilly even then. I feel like a our winter/their summer trip might be better since it's warmer then, and NZ is looking it's best.

For Central America, I've only been to Costa Rica, so that's the only suggestion I can proffer from first-hand experience. BUT you know I loved loved loved Costa Rica, and it's gorgeous as well, and has a nice mix of beautiful scenery, from cloud forest to volcanoes to beach. And lots of things to do - ziplining, horseback riding, kayaking white water rapids, surfing, snorkeling, boat tours, etc. etc.

I like VC's suggestion of Alaska as well! I've always wanted to go and it looks gorgeous from pictures (I have a couple friends there now for judicial clerkships - one in Anchorage and one in Juneau, I think).

Finally, if you're fine with the long plane trip (like to NZ) you could check out Asia/Southeast Asia as well.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I'm really intrigued by Belize and Costa Rica now. It would be hard to pass up seeing family though. Might come down to money. NZ will be a lot for plane tickets but almost no lodging and limited food costs. Central America would be cheap flights but a lot more on lodging and food.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Claire, I hear ya. I remember tickets to NZ were $1500, versus like $300 to CR.

We stayed for 2 weeks in CR and got some really great deals on really great hotels, so let me know if you end up going there. I will go dig up my itinerary and hotel list and stuff!

And remember, Costa Rica = my amazing treehouse hotel!! :D If you're staying for a week, I can imagine that flight + hotels/food + activities in CR may still come out less than flight + activities in NZ.

If you go to NZ, take me with yoooouuuuu! ;-) I want to go back!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results