shape
carat
color
clarity

Vacation Plans???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 9:21:53 PM
Author: Ellen
Thanks Skippy, I missed you guys too! Even Harriet, who evidently did not miss me.
25.gif
9.gif
2.gif

It was great, very relaxing. Hard not to have a good time being with your favorite people lying in a beautiful pool drinking brewskies.
9.gif
Thanks for asking.
2.gif
20.gif
Miss Ellen, see I was reading this thread. hehehe
34.gif

Yay, glad you had some brewskies
embeer.gif
; cheers and welcome back
9.gif

Wow, DF the house sounds gorgeous! Sounds like an exciting project!!! I am sure w/you in charge it will be amazing
3.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, it is nice enough. It is not like going to Nantucket or the Vineyard or the Hamptons, but Cape May has some lovely restaurants and is filled with Victorian homes and some lovely little shops. It is the southernmost point of the shore, so I imagine it is quite far from New York City. I love Stone Harbor and Avalon but they are a bit more family oriented and thus the restaurant choices are fewer in terms of fine dining. But overall you either love the shore or not, it is lovely and I love walking into town with my 5 1/2 year old for an ice cream or to shop a bit...it is just peaceful, grilling and eating on the deck looking at the ocean and seeing the sun come up or down on the bay side of the island when I walk Maya in the evening, it is all nice and simple. It takes us about 90 minutes from Philly without traffic.

Skippy, well, let''s just say though mt last house was all I wanted then, I sort of knew I had one more in me...let''s see if I can live through it. It is a large project, but this will be the last house, and I can seeing being taken out in a box. I can envision my kids getting married there etc, so I hope to have a lot of happy years there. All journeys start with one step so I am about to start that journey...should be great in the end.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Df,
I am very excited about your new house!! The property is gorgeous, and know the house you build will be amazing. Plus you''ll be right up the road from me. We can take the doggies for walks!! Hope you have a great time in Nantucket. The weather has been awesome!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh, I know! I am excited, I will be even closer to your house (and the mall, as hubby regretfully pointed out!!!!) but farther by a bit from our favorite spot...

Hubby said the weather should be great and we are going to the Pearl one night, any recommendations? Probably a picnic on the beach near Wauwinet too...a tradition for us. Sorry I am missing you so I won''t see the house there, cannot wait to.

What is the taffy flavor you like? I thought I might get you a box while I am down here!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Galley
Ships Inn
Straight Warf
Sconset Cafe
The Chanticleer ( Sconset)

Those are all my faves.

No Taffy please, have eaten too much this vacay.....
6.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think we are at the Straight Wharf with Jordan and my sitter the night we arrive, then we have Summer House (hubby likes it) or Toppers (my fave) without Jordan, and then I thought we had Black Eyed Susans but it might not work since unless you eat by 6:00 pm you have to wait for your table. I think we also have one other one with Jordan and my sitter, but not sure where it is. Thanks for the other ideas, they might be good lunch choices!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Galley is a great spot for lunch. Just make sure you have a reservation. Next year you HAVE to go for dinner, it''s magical when the sun sets, very romantic.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 7:18:33 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 7/15/2007 11:16:05 AM
Author: KimberlyH
You''re going to Syndey?
Yes!
I am so excited for you! But a bit bummed you''re not going to get your alone-time vacation in Switzerland. I crave my alone time, even if it''s just 5 minutes by myself in our house!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 9:42:28 PM
Author: diamondfan
Harriet, it is nice enough. It is not like going to Nantucket or the Vineyard or the Hamptons, but Cape May has some lovely restaurants and is filled with Victorian homes and some lovely little shops. It is the southernmost point of the shore, so I imagine it is quite far from New York City. I love Stone Harbor and Avalon but they are a bit more family oriented and thus the restaurant choices are fewer in terms of fine dining. But overall you either love the shore or not, it is lovely and I love walking into town with my 5 1/2 year old for an ice cream or to shop a bit...it is just peaceful, grilling and eating on the deck looking at the ocean and seeing the sun come up or down on the bay side of the island when I walk Maya in the evening, it is all nice and simple. It takes us about 90 minutes from Philly without traffic.
What a great way to spend the summer! We might venture into the summer rental market next year. But, it won''t be in the Hamptons -- too expensive and too social. Any suggestions as to places?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 10:59:19 PM
I am so excited for you! But a bit bummed you''re not going to get your alone-time vacation in Switzerland. I crave my alone time, even if it''s just 5 minutes by myself in our house!
Thanks for understanding. Sometimes, there''s nothing like being alone with a book, is there? I would not have been alone with Switzerland. I would have been staying and travelling with my ILs and their friends. My alone time is supposed to be my 2 days at an Indonesian beach resort (after the cruise, I go to Singapore, Indonesia and Australia). But, my mother''s assuming that she''s coming along, and I don''t have the heart to say "no." At least my father shares my hermit tendencies. He''s going hiking in India by himself!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a very different kind of trip since we have one child here and will have all three at the end of camp, plus family. We have been to Maine and New Hampshire and the Cape and the Vineyard and Nantucket and the Shore. I have never been to Vermont, upstate NY or Rhode Islands, and would love to go to the Hamptons but from Philly the drive is awful. You almost have to fly privately because the commercial flights are tough and flying from Phila International to NY is silly. Hubby would need to go back and forth for a portion of it, though he could do some of his work from there, he feels he would need to be in his office periodically and would likely fly back an forth til August when he would stay. I am also not sure I want to be away from home three months, with Jordan and Maya and my sitter, even though we know lots of people in all of those places. Once my youngest starts sleep away camp things are different and we could go anyplace, but I have to say there is something nice about having your stuff in one place and feeling like you just buzz down and there you are. It took a lot to get settled in this summer, but now that I have it is easy every time. There are services that will load your fridge for you each time you are coming (but I love to stop at the farm stands and get fresh produce and like to pick it myself) and I leave things here so it is easier, less back and forth. But this is much more low key, entertaining friends, sitting by the pool, walking Maya, going to the little movie theater in town or to a casual restaurant...this is not a hip or racy place at all which is just fine.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 9:22:16 AM

Date: 7/15/2007 10:59:19 PM
I am so excited for you! But a bit bummed you're not going to get your alone-time vacation in Switzerland. I crave my alone time, even if it's just 5 minutes by myself in our house!
Thanks for understanding. Sometimes, there's nothing like being alone with a book, is there? I would not have been alone with Switzerland. I would have been staying and travelling with my ILs and their friends. My alone time is supposed to be my 2 days at an Indonesian beach resort (after the cruise, I go to Singapore, Indonesia and Australia). But, my mother's assuming that she's coming along, and I don't have the heart to say 'no.' At least my father shares my hermit tendencies. He's going hiking in India by himself!
Ah, I had my locations mixed up, but I'm still disappointed for you. I hate telling people "No" though, especially my mom, so I understand. And there isn't anything like being alone with a book. Except being alone with a book on a silent beach in a hamock with a glass of wine. How fun for your dad!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
Your youngest must be thrilled to have you both to himself. Btw, how were the Walter books?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 10:21:35 AM
Ah, I had my locations mixed up, but I''m still disappointed for you. I hate telling people ''No'' though, especially my mom, so I understand. And there isn''t anything like being alone with a book. Except being alone with a book on a silent beach in a hamock with a glass of wine. How fun for your dad!
It''s a bummer because I had splurged and booked a villa with its own pool so that I could avoid people. Maybe I should book one for my parents?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 10:31:17 AM

Date: 7/16/2007 10:21:35 AM
Ah, I had my locations mixed up, but I''m still disappointed for you. I hate telling people ''No'' though, especially my mom, so I understand. And there isn''t anything like being alone with a book. Except being alone with a book on a silent beach in a hamock with a glass of wine. How fun for your dad!
It''s a bummer because I had splurged and booked a villa with its own pool so that I could avoid people. Maybe I should book one for my parents?
Hmmm, that might be a brilliant idea. I know you were so looking forward to some alone time, it just seems such a shame you won''t get it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that''s what I''ll do. Please don''t get me wrong. I love my DF and parents, but I need need need some down time. I''ll be travelling in Europe with him, and in Australia with them.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
My husband & I really want to take a vacation but it''s kind of hard when you have to bring a toddler. I want to fly but I''m afraid of how my daughter will be on the plane & all the gear we''d have to tote around for her (Carseat, stroller, etc..) We are thinking about driving to a national park or maybe going to California, we''ll see.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vegas, that might be easier if there is something nice nearby. When my kids were very small I felt the same way. After my third was born right after 9-11 I really did not want to fly, so we bought a home in the mountains about 90 minutes from our home and for a while just went there for winter break and some weekends, because I had a crib and stroller and all my stuff there and it was easy to get to. Now that my youngest is going to be 6 in November it is so much easier, and he is really good on planes and in the car. Some kids never are, but you really cannot know til they are a bit older. I would also say Leapster and a portable DVD player and some art stuff that is not too messy, saved my life many times with flight delays etc.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, he is thrilled, he keeps saying It is just you me and daddy and (my sitters). He is king of the house, everyone has him to focus on, which is great on one hand. But then again, he really does miss his brothers, more so this year than in years past, since he is older and feels it. He is in day camp or here at the beach, and we do fun things, but if it pours or is boiling hot, we tend to chill more, and he is energetic and busy so he gets annoyed that there is less activity. My house is insane during the year, and with a high schooler come fall the schedule gets even more crazy, plus the house and my middle son''s bar mitzvah coming up, I know how busy we will be. That is why I really treasure just having the peace and calm and nice slow routine right now. I could keep up my school year pace all the time, and so these times are what help me recharge. But I totally get wanting down time too. I am one female in my home and everyone needs me, so I rarely get to check out of things. When I do, whether I plan a spa trip to Canyon Ranch with the girls or a day in New York to shop and eat and maybe see a show, I feel that I am giving myself some time. Just wait til you have kids! It is even harder to get that time...though I do not work now, so I cannot comment upon those stresses.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No kids for us!

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 9:02:28 PM
Author: diamondfan
Skippy, thanks! The house has worked out well, we will end up with some friends and a lot of family having come down. When the weather is nice it is great.

We are excited but a bit nervous too,. Just finished interviewing the last architect and now need to get moving. This will be my final house, and more of my dream house than my current one, though my current one is lovely too. This one has a lot more land, and it is all fairly flat and usable which is wonderful. Plus, since the land is significant, we can really put on what we want, and not compromise. It will be at least 2 years and likely more, so you might want to buy a new swim suit then!!! But honestly, hubby feels excited that if it comes out how we like, he will have vacations during the summer at our house! With a pool, court, entertainment stuff, he might enjoy some time at home which is something he does not get a lot of. He will have the club for golf, and of course we can go away places, especially when my youngest joins his big brothers at sleep away in a few years...and we would likely rent a home in Nantucket for the month of August and go get them from camp and hang out up there...

All of you who are Shore bound, where in the shore will you be? I am near Cape May, but a bit north of it, on Seven Mile Island with Avalon and Stone Harbor...

My aunt and uncle had a house on Long Beach Island when I was a kid. While my friends all went to the Hamptons or the Vineyard (I grew up in Connecticut)... I went to THE SHORE! LOL! I spent many a summer in New Jersey.

As I married a Marylander and consider Baltimore my hometown, we are DelMarVa beach goers now. But we have taken the ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May. It is so nice in Cape May.

FOUR MORE DAYS UNTIL I GO TO THE BEACH!!!

It took me a long time to stop saying "the shore." In Maryland, it is the "the beach." (and yes Surfgirl, I am bringing some jewelry **** with me. LOL!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Diamondfan, your son is young. How cute!
I love kids!!!!!
9.gif

I think it was great to see all these adorable babies at the beach w/their mom's and dads while we were on vacation. My hubby and I wear just smiling at all the cute baby's!!!

Vegas Angel, how old is your little one? My sisters son is 1 1/2 and they say it is hard w/all the equipment. Plus my poor nephew cried the whole way on the plane. Sounds like fun going to a National Park, I am dying to Yosemite!

Diamondfan do you take the kiddos to Disney World?

Joolskie, have a wonderful time at the beach
3.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Chesapeake. We looked long and hard at buying a vacation home in Oxford or St. Michael''s recently but realized we will not be able to get away most weekends for the next year and a half and in the summer we would go elsewhere so we tabled it for a while. But we loved it.

Skippy, yes, we have done Disneyworld many times. Went last May with all three kids on a very special trip through an organization we belong to, but sadly think for my oldest and possibly the middle guy that Disney is too tame now. We had really special things and behind the scenes stuff but they still felt constrained and really were unhappy til all the teens went off with a tour guide and did their own thing. There were some rides that were more fast paced, but overall it was my 5 1/2 year old who really loved it. The older two loved seeing his reactions and recalled when they loved it too, but were pretty bored overall. They like Universal and Six Flags and like rides that would kill me to even think about. So, at this point, looks like Disney is really just for Jordan. I am fine with that. I do admit to being a Disney lover, growing up in LA I loved going to Disneyland and it brings back nice feelings for me but it is also such an endeavor and I am always exhausted by it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results