shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgraders and re-setters -- how are you doing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, so even thought I don't have my upgrade *yet* I can say that I have decided to proceed with my new ring in hopes of having it for my anniversary later this year. So, I'm working on acquiring the stone as I type
36.gif

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
MRS- who do you recommend me contact? I saw a stone by Diamonds By Lauren and they don''t take stones in on trade?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 9:01:09 AM
Author: DIAMOND*QUEST
MRS- who do you recommend me contact? I saw a stone by Diamonds By Lauren and they don''t take stones in on trade?

I don''t know for sure about GoodoldGold but you could try them. I do know that Pearlman''s takes stones on a trade and consignment..

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond Quest - yes, definitely talk to Bill Pearlman. I'm hoping to get my upgrade done through him (waiting, as we speak, for an e-mail back on what he might have heard from one of his contacts) and he's just the absolute nicest person in the world to work with!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darling Joy and DiamondFan -- you''re too funny.
9.gif
Thanks for the encouragement.
11.gif
(I''m sure my DH will thank you too, haha)

DiamondQuest -- I can''t believe JA was so unresponsive! Totally uncool. The least they could''ve done was to get back to you with a no thank you instead of rudely leaving you hanging! Well, I hope you find someone great. The other girls here have great suggestions. Good luck and please keep us posted!

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep you posted.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DQ...i would contact JA again and see if maybe the communication was just overlooked.

If you don't have trade in, there are limited options, so I would personally be working it to try to get some trade-in or consignment value for an upgrade with multiple vendors...not just waiting for one vendor to call me back and just assuming if I don't hear from him that he doesn't want the stone. Good luck!!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Do you STILL love it? Absolutely!!

Has shrinkage set in? Nope....not yet

What do your friends/family think? My friends & family love my new set. My mom is so stuck on the "E" color of my EC!!

Is your new ring everything you had hoped for? Don''t know what I was hoping for, but I love it all the same.

Are you already thinking “What’s next?” for this rock? Those thoughts come & go at times.

Do you have any regrets? None whatsoever1

Any new projects waiting in the wings? My DH would kill me if I even considered it!

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 11:49:48 AM
Author: Mara
DQ...i would contact JA again and see if maybe the communication was just overlooked.

If you don''t have trade in, there are limited options, so I would personally be working it to try to get some trade-in or consignment value for an upgrade with multiple vendors...not just waiting for one vendor to call me back and just assuming if I don''t hear from him that he doesn''t want the stone. Good luck!!
Hi Mara- I''m not going to contact JA again as I sent multiple emails with responses that my certs were received as well as pictures. I don''t have to beg anyone to do business with me. Ya know what I mean? Also, I don''t necessarily have to trade in my stone, but I look at it and I am just not happy with it anymore. Perhaps Pearlmans will want to assist me? Thanks for suggestions.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2006 8:57:19 AM
Author: DIAMOND*QUEST

Date: 6/21/2006 11:49:48 AM
Author: Mara

If you don''t have trade in, there are limited options, so I would personally be working it to try to get some trade-in or consignment value for an upgrade with multiple vendors...not just waiting for one vendor to call me back and just assuming if I don''t hear from him that he doesn''t want the stone. Good luck!!
Hi Mara- I''m not going to contact JA again as I sent multiple emails with responses that my certs were received as well as pictures. I don''t have to beg anyone to do business with me. Ya know what I mean? Also, I don''t necessarily have to trade in my stone, but I look at it and I am just not happy with it anymore. Perhaps Pearlmans will want to assist me? Thanks for suggestions.
I don''t think you should BEG anyone to do business with you, but unfortunately if you DO want to trade-in with another vendor, your options are already limited, so maybe you shouldn''t just dimiss JA because they didn''t get back to you. I''d at least ask them if they don''t want your stones so you can really check them off the list. Maybe they just got busy. If you really don''t care that much about trading in your stone that is one thing, but IMO when you are doing a trade-in and it''s not their stone, you have to realize that you may have to be persistent about trying to get someone''s attention to show them why they might want to take your stone off your hands. But hey if it''s not that important to you, then by all means...nix JA. I am sure Pearlmans will want to assist you, but I have another friend who is dealing with the same thing you are and she found that different vendors have different policies so I''d REALLY shop around and find the deal that works best for you. Including JA.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS THREAD?

Do you STILL love it? Yes...but. It has been on my finger for 2 plus years and it doesn''t have the impact that it once had.

Has shrinkage set in? Not only shrinkage, but I am a little tired of the setting. I thought by getting the 3 stone classic basket setting I wouldn''t get board of it as it isn''t a trendy setting. I am thinking I should have gotten a more elaborate setting. But if I decide to upgrade and change it, I won''t feel guility about losing a really expensive setting.

What do your friends/family think? My friends think I am a crazy freak who has nothing better to do than throw money at this on going project. This place is incredibly dangerous. Just when you thought it was safe...there is always going to be someone else to start pushing you over the edge.

Is your new ring everything you had hoped for? I am sad to say....no.

Are you already thinking “What’s next?” for this rock? Absolutely. Solitaire cushion? Larger RBC? New setting?

Do you have any regrets? The only regret that I have is that I don''t think I will ever be happy with my ring. It has to constantly go through some sort of change every couple of years.

I just finished having coffee with a very good male friend and told him of our Bay Area Get Together. I told him that we were all upgrade masters all vying for the perfect stone, ring, setting etc. He said, "You know, there is such a thing as too big. People might say it''s beautiful and how lucky you are to your face but the minute you''re not there anymore they start talking smack about you." Ladies, this is NOT normal behaviour. 99.9% of the women out there would be thrilled and over the moon to get half of what we have. I told him, "well, there''s isn''t anyother jewelry that I want so why can''t I work on this ring until it''s as close to perfect as I can get it?" I got a little on my high horse. Anyone else have a conversation like this?

Any new projects waiting in the wings? Not yet....but the wheels are turning.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Do you STILL love it? Yes (1.53, H, VS1 stone) Had it for 4 years now, setting for 1
Has shrinkage set in? Yes, but I am getting over it!
2.gif

What do your friends/family think? That I am pretty spoiled and very lucky
Is your new ring everything you had hoped for? Yes
Are you already thinking “What’s next?” for this rock? No, but perhaps some day a 3 stone would be awesome
Do you have any regrets? Yes, I wish I had gone bigger (with a little less clarity & an I)
Any new projects waiting in the wings? Not right now

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
May I also chime in, even though I''m a resetter and not an upgrader?

Do you STILL love it? Yes, just picked it up several days ago and absolutely in love with the new setting.

Has shrinkage set in? It set in the moment we got the stone. I really wanted a 1 carat, but I suppose he didn''t want to spoil me.
3.gif

What do your friends and family think? That I have issues and am obsessed with jewelry. One friend expressed her disbelief and disdain that I could spend so much on jewelry. Family...well....they think I deserve a bigger stone.
9.gif

Is your new ring everything you had hoped for? No.....I wish the center stone were bigger. But I am not allowed to upgrade this stone, EVER. (Based on a certain Chinese superstition.)

Are you already thinking "What''s next?" for this rock? Please see above.

Do you have any regrets? That I wasn''t able to wheedle my way into a bigger stone.

Any new projects waiting in the wings? Well....I just saw a GORGEOUS tanzanite and diamond ring at Tiffany today...but that''s way out of reach right now. I''m saving up to upgrade my earrings though, so that would be next in line.

I hope this post didn''t make me sound like a greedy brat.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep roppongi...i hear it from my friends all the time too. one of my best girl friends told me ''not to get too greedy''... i was like ohhhhhkay. and she is the one who wants a 3c from her future hubby someday. nevermind that i purposefully don''t drive a fancy car like they all do BECAUSE i would rather have a big rock than a new car. different strokes IMO. and yes us PS''ers are pretty insane and we are NOT normal, i could have told you that...haha. but i figure it''s your money and you can do what you want with it. i mean really who is anyone else to judge.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Cinderella, please tell me about this Chinese superstition as I am Chinese and would love to know about it.

Mara, I know you that you of all people understand, and would be the first to tell us that we are far from normal. Honestly, I thought long and hard after my conversation with my friend and there is no more jewelry that I need or want. I know that there are people out there who are great at changing and mixing up their jewelry but I am not one of them. The only thing that I change is my watch and that is because my husband is a watch aficionado and has bought me several time pieces. Not really my choice of jewelry.

I think I need to go to a 12 step class when it comes to diamonds.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Roppongi, the weight of the stone is 0.88 carats. Translate that weight to read it in Chinese. And THAT''S the superstition.

Plus, it''s the first and ONLY asscher he''s ever seen, and he thinks it''s a "really nice" stone. So no upgrades. Darn.

Oh, and for the non-Chinese folk, when you translate 88 into Chinese, it sounds like "rich rich." So, it''s a lucky number.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 2:32:41 AM
Author: Cinderella
Roppongi, the weight of the stone is 0.88 carats. Translate that weight to read it in Chinese. And THAT'S the superstition.

Plus, it's the first and ONLY asscher he's ever seen, and he thinks it's a 'really nice' stone. So no upgrades. Darn.

Oh, and for the non-Chinese folk, when you translate 88 into Chinese, it sounds like 'rich rich.' So, it's a lucky number.
Cinderella,

Couldn't you go with 1.28 or 1.88 (even better 2.28) for the bigger size?
I thought the 1.28 translates nicely too as in "easy to get rich"
3.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 7:14:32 PM
Author: roppongi
HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS THREAD?

Do you STILL love it? Yes...but. It has been on my finger for 2 plus years and it doesn''t have the impact that it once had.

Has shrinkage set in? Not only shrinkage, but I am a little tired of the setting. I thought by getting the 3 stone classic basket setting I wouldn''t get board of it as it isn''t a trendy setting. I am thinking I should have gotten a more elaborate setting. But if I decide to upgrade and change it, I won''t feel guility about losing a really expensive setting.

What do your friends/family think? My friends think I am a crazy freak who has nothing better to do than throw money at this on going project. This place is incredibly dangerous. Just when you thought it was safe...there is always going to be someone else to start pushing you over the edge.

Is your new ring everything you had hoped for? I am sad to say....no.

Are you already thinking “What’s next?” for this rock? Absolutely. Solitaire cushion? Larger RBC? New setting?

Do you have any regrets? The only regret that I have is that I don''t think I will ever be happy with my ring. It has to constantly go through some sort of change every couple of years.

I just finished having coffee with a very good male friend and told him of our Bay Area Get Together. I told him that we were all upgrade masters all vying for the perfect stone, ring, setting etc. He said, ''You know, there is such a thing as too big. People might say it''s beautiful and how lucky you are to your face but the minute you''re not there anymore they start talking smack about you.'' Ladies, this is NOT normal behaviour. 99.9% of the women out there would be thrilled and over the moon to get half of what we have. I told him, ''well, there''s isn''t anyother jewelry that I want so why can''t I work on this ring until it''s as close to perfect as I can get it?'' I got a little on my high horse. Anyone else have a conversation like this?

Any new projects waiting in the wings? Not yet....but the wheels are turning.

R, I think men have a slightly fearful view of our love of bling. And he may not be wrong that some girls might oooh and aaah to your face and then be snarky when you leave. What else is new? Since when have some types of women NOT done that? To heck with them is what I say. Trust me, I have heard it all from the day I got my ring (including the MOST offensive and hypocritical comments from my own sister!) but at the end of the day, I think these things: Can we afford what I have? YES. Am I spending money on this versus other really vital things? NO Are there going to be petty meanspirited comments from people? SURE. Do I care? NOOOO!. I just hope that you do get it all down pat the way you want it, whatever that means for you!!! :)

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 5:07:34 PM
Author: lili
Date: 6/28/2006 2:32:41 AM

Cinderella,

Couldn''t you go with 1.28 or 1.88 (even better 2.28) for the bigger size?

I thought the 1.28 translates nicely too as in ''easy to get rich''
3.gif

LOL, very true. You girls are BAD!!! Hmm...that would be interesting. I should see if I can get away with having this stone upgraded to 1.28 like you suggested. But then again, we HAVE been extremely lucky after we purchased this particular stone. It could have been timing, but he''s pretty much set in thinking that the stone''s been good luck for us. Give me a few years and I''ll see what I can do!
9.gif
11.gif

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How much of an increase in mm in an upgrade do you think is "necessary" to really feel a big difference and keep you satisfied for a while? I think Lynn and Mara both upgraded over 1mm?

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 1:30:28 PM

Date: 6/28/2006 5:07:34 PM
Author: lili

LOL, very true. You girls are BAD!!! Hmm...that would be interesting. I should see if I can get away with having this stone upgraded to 1.28 like you suggested. But then again, we HAVE been extremely lucky after we purchased this particular stone. It could have been timing, but he''s pretty much set in thinking that the stone''s been good luck for us. Give me a few years and I''ll see what I can do!
9.gif
11.gif
Oh no, don''t get rid of the lucky stone. Just get another one
31.gif

All I was trying to say is that you are not limited to the 88 point carat weight if your hubby is superstitious.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys....hmm...I think I need to join this thread!

I've NEVER liked the mounting my mom's asscher is in....and I've had it this way for YEARS! I was SO IGNORANT and totally unthinking...I handed over the stone and two sides I'd found in another ring, and said here...set these.
23.gif
20.gif

I've never considered remounting it...I had sort of a "I made my bed, now sleep in it" attitude.

Shrinkage problems...not at all.

My DIL (next in line for custody) doesn't like the mounting, and it looks awful on her smaller hands...My sons and friends think I'm crazy, but my DIL is delighted with my obsession.
1.gif

Am I thinking of what's next? You bet I am! I've been thinking of nothing else since I got back from Palo Alto. Two things really got to me... KD's ring, and the bling bling hand shot. I was horrified at the look of my ring next to all those more delicate beauties!
14.gif

What am I thinking of? Calling Leon Mege
1.gif

widget

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
well, the questions don''t really apply, except my hubby asked me to back off on purchases and let the account balance come back up.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Widget, don''t be horrified by your ring!! I love your stones, just "Leon" it and it will be so blindingly beautiful!! Your DIL is a lucky gal to be next in line for jewelry, there''s no one in my family or my bf''s that have a jewelry collection like yours. Thanks for sharing with us.

Carebear and Lilli, IF I do wheedle my way into an upgrade or a new stone, I''d probably try for a 1.38 carat, which keeps with the superstition and with enough of a mm difference for me to notice. It seems unlikely at this point though, because we''re not even engaged yet, and if I wheedle now and by some miracle obtain an upgrade, I *might* get a smaller stone for my e-ring.

PS is an awful awful influence. Especially after I saw so many rings in person in Palo Alto. It''s giving me ideas.
27.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2006 4:28:29 PM
Author:KristyDarling
We know all too well that PS is full of diamond freakazoids with the chronic illness of upgrading and re-setting and re-setting and upgrading ad nauseum.
9.gif
Here’s a thread where we can all check-in with our latest thoughts and feelings about our rings.

Do you have any regrets? I dunno if it is called regret--but I am experiencing the MOST GUILT I have ever known. It is awful. I feel terribly "greedy" and I am unable to dispell the feeling. Irrational I know, but there it is. GUILT, GUILY, GUILY for being so extravagent.
8.gif
waaa

FIRE AWAY!!!
3.gif
cheers--Sharon

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 11:07:00 PM
Author: canuk-gal

I dunno if it is called regret--but I am experiencing the MOST GUILT I have ever known. It is awful. I feel terribly ''greedy'' and I am unable to dispell the feeling. Irrational I know, but there it is. GUILT, GUILY, GUILY for being so extravagent.
8.gif
waaa

FIRE AWAY!!!
3.gif
cheers--Sharon
Sharon!!!!!!!
23.gif
38.gif

All I can think to say is: GET OVER IT!!!!
2.gif

Maybe you''re just not used to it yet? I hope you''re wearing it every single day...maybe it''ll "shrink" a bit...
2.gif

Your ring is such a masterpiece...it will be loved and treasured for umpteen generations to come!

Thank the good Lord for your good fortune, and ENJOY that wonder every day!!

widget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
carebear...IMO it just depends on the person!!

i wanted at least a 2.3c from my last 1.6c because it was that full 1mm and i thought that would be ''good enough'' since i knew this was the last big upgrade for MANY years. the 1.29 to the 1.6 was great for about a year but it didn''t really satisfy me....this 2.32 satisfies me. for now of course...hee hee.

but for some, an upgrade of .5mm is fine....maybe you feel like you just need a tiny bit more size or something...nothing big. anyway i don''t think it''s one size fits all at all...but i would say if you upgrade, go as large as you can to make yourself really happy! if you can!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2006 10:30:14 PM
Author: widget
Hi guys....hmm...I think I need to join this thread!

I''ve NEVER liked the mounting my mom''s asscher is in....and I''ve had it this way for YEARS! I was SO IGNORANT and totally unthinking...I handed over the stone and two sides I''d found in another ring, and said here...set these.
23.gif
20.gif

I''ve never considered remounting it...I had sort of a ''I made my bed, now sleep in it'' attitude.

Shrinkage problems...not at all.

My DIL (next in line for custody) doesn''t like the mounting, and it looks awful on her smaller hands...My sons and friends think I''m crazy, but my DIL is delighted with my obsession.
1.gif

Am I thinking of what''s next? You bet I am! I''ve been thinking of nothing else since I got back from Palo Alto. Two things really got to me... KD''s ring, and the bling bling hand shot. I was horrified at the look of my ring next to all those more delicate beauties!
14.gif

What am I thinking of? Calling Leon Mege
1.gif

widget
Yes I do think you need to join this thread. And yay for calling Leon!!!
36.gif
If there is ANYONE on this forum who could benefit greatly from a re-set, it is you with your gorgeous asschers. I just know that they will SING in a new setting...preferably one by Monsieur Leon! You''ve enjoyed those stones in their current setting for long enough. Now you DESERVE something new! Something more delicate, sparkly, and artistic that will do those diamonds justice. I can''t wait to see what you and Leon dream up together!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2006 10:37:14 PM
Widget, don''t be horrified by your ring!! I love your stones, just ''Leon'' it and it will be so blindingly beautiful!! Your DIL is a lucky gal to be next in line for jewelry, there''s no one in my family or my bf''s that have a jewelry collection like yours. Thanks for sharing with us.

Carebear and Lilli, IF I do wheedle my way into an upgrade or a new stone, I''d probably try for a 1.38 carat, which keeps with the superstition and with enough of a mm difference for me to notice. It seems unlikely at this point though, because we''re not even engaged yet, and if I wheedle now and by some miracle obtain an upgrade, I *might* get a smaller stone for my e-ring.

PS is an awful awful influence. Especially after I saw so many rings in person in Palo Alto. It''s giving me ideas.
27.gif
Cinderella, I say hang in there and let your BF save all his pennies for a killer e-ring! Your asscher ring is so divine! It doesn''t need to be a boulder in order be sparkly and beautiful. Yours is delicate and elegant....and FAR nicer than any RHR I own!!! In the meantime, plant seeds and start providing your BF with diamond research and start equipping him with your preferences! The fact that he even got you such a GORGEOUS promise ring bodes very well for you, my dear!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Cinderella, I agree with KristyD. I love your ring just the way it is. That''s a REALLY nice RHR. I understand you wanting more bling but I would let your bf save up for your ering. Plus, you don''t want your RHR to have a really big asschler and it has to compete with your future ering.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results