shape
carat
color
clarity

update...the pooch is gone!!! ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I completely agree that a dog should be in a good home where it is loved and adored, whether it''s the first home it has or the second (or even the third). No dog should be left in a home where it is not given the full attention it deserves.

Having gone through the puppy stage myself a few years ago (and never having had a puppy before) I can tell you that no amount of research and reading can prepare you for it. I am so glad we stuck it out and she''s a wonderful dog now but at the time it was very draining. We in no way got the dog on a whim, she was very much planned for and wanted.

I think the good thing is the dog has gone to a home where it is wanted and loved. That is the most important thing. Strange timing on this post, I was just at the local dog shelter yesterday with a donation and of course saw dogs who were given up because the owners didn''t have time for them. It is a no kill shelter and I pray they will go to good homes. I had a neighbor once who left their dog outside all day alone and only took him in at night. Had he been put into a loving family he would have been a great dog but due to neglect he was aggressive and unfriendly. The owners did that dog no favor by keeping him when another family could have loved him and turned him into a great pet. Had they realized they made a mistake and made an effort to find him a good home the family and the dog would have turned out much happier.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 11:31:51 AM
Author: aljdewey

.....someone with your viewpoint would have insisted on the original family ''[sucking up and] living with their mistake''

I cannot fathom how anyone who truly loves animals would insist on seeing a dog remain in an unloving environment instead of going to a loving one.
I didn''t ''get'' this viewpoint in Gypsy''s post, or anyone else''s, for that matter.

I think everyone agrees that DF and his family made a mistake...hopefully Jade''s new family is a loving and committed one.

I''m sure DF is a good guy, but I think that Storm nailed it when he said that the "tone" of his original post... "the pooch is gone!!!! I knew this was going to happen after two days
9.gif
" (his happy face...not mine)....is unfortunate, and to many animal lovers, utterly infuriating.

widget

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
People do make mistakes but unfortunately it is often to the detriment of the animals. I think it would be a good idea if people were made to take a test before pet ownership (or human child raising). We'd probably have a lot less pet owners out there. Mostly kidding here (about the test), but partly not.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i don't blame DF here, i mean he was against it from the beginning!

DF's wife and daughter...i know they have been thinking about getting a puppy but obviously it is very hard work and alot of kids are not cut out for it. two sleepless nights and the puppy goes back? wow that wasn't very much mental committment at all but better they find out now and not later for sure!

the breeder is definitely at fault here for not having a return clause/policy in place...and really i am just happy that DF's family didn't keep the dog and FORCE themselves or the daughter to learn something while keeping it and raising it because it would have truly missed out on the opportunity to have a great life with another home.

gypsy's post was a little harshly worded, but i also do know that there are tons of irresponsible pet owners out there...and as a pet owner myself, having gone through the trials and tribulations of getting a puppy, not knowing what to do, how to take care of it, the sleepless nights, the screaming and howling...it was REALLY HARD on us and i agonized for weeks about maybe we had made the wrong mistake. but that little face and warm body, there was no way she was ever leaving us. i could never work at a shelter or anything, it would be heartbreaking...instead we just donate money to various organizations.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2006 10:46:16 AM
Author: dbgaap

My pooch, many, many years ago came from a breeder who explained up front that the dog MUST be returned to her if it didn''t work out.
I certainly thought about it when those sleepless nights hit. Nowhere in all my research was there any mention of sleepless nights!

But I did NOT know a new puppy would mean sleepless nights!
my daughter thought it would only take 1-2 week to potty train the puppy.i told her my friend''s
puppy still not potty after 6 months. i think no matter what type of pets you own.the non pet owners doesn''t realize it take so much time, effort and money to keep the pet happy.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Did it have to be a puppy? What about adapting a dog from a shelter that''s already been potty trained and even has good doggy manners? When I got my dog, I knew I wasn''t going to be able to train a puppy. Rescue dogs are grateful too...they know they''ve been saved.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Words fail me. But being "right" seems to trump any misfortune someone/something must endure.

BTW, for those who get puppies, there are more effective ways of "potty" training a dog than having sleepless nights. THAT's what should have been researched. Sure the first week will be quite a bit of "getting up" - but this will pass very soon w/ effective training. Throwing your hands up after two days doesn't equate well to determination in an individual.

And, whose to say that a "return clause" wasn't signed by the breeder and individual? Those can be ignored - but whoa be it ignored by a "client" with the wrong breeder. The breeder can sue for the cost of the puppy and for it's perhaps future "earnings" and all sorts of "stuff". Though hard to enforce - it can be and has been enforced. In our law system, a dog is property and with it can come with restrictions.

Having been in dog rescue for many years, your ultimate concern is for the pup. I hope the pup has a life fit for her.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never said they should suck it up and keep the dog.

No, that dog is better off in another home. But it seemed very convenient that this home was so readily and quickly found. I have a hard time believing that the home that Jade is in is the best one for for her... rather than the most convienient place to unload her.

That''s what I meant.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 1:53:53 PM
Author: widget

Date: 6/25/2006 11:31:51 AM

.....someone with your viewpoint would have insisted on the original family '[sucking up and] living with their mistake'

I cannot fathom how anyone who truly loves animals would insist on seeing a dog remain in an unloving environment instead of going to a loving one.
I didn't 'get' this viewpoint in Gypsy's post, or anyone else's, for that matter.

Saying that giving the dog away is teaching his daughter that it's an object and disposable....to me, that read as though she is scolding them for giving the dog away. To her point now below, I see her issue is more about how quickly they gave the dog away, but it didn't read that way when I read it.

I understand that it would have been better had the dog never been brought home to begin with, but it's too late for that now......it was done, and it cannot be unchanged. Finger wagging about that at this stage in the game is not helpful at all.

I think everyone agrees that DF and his family made a mistake...hopefully Jade's new family is a loving and committed one.

I'm sure DF is a good guy, but I think that Storm nailed it when he said that the 'tone' of his original post... 'the pooch is gone!!!! I knew this was going to happen after two days
9.gif
' (his happy face...not mine)....is unfortunate, and to many animal lovers, utterly infuriating.

widget
Yes, but in fairness.......HE never wanted a dog to begin with. It sounds to me like he knew in his heart that they weren't going to have what it took, but it wasn't his decision.

Given that he's afraid of dogs, I can imagine that he IS happy the dog didn't last in his household. That doen't make him an awful person....it just means he is not suited to be a dog owner. And he didn't choose to......it was his family's decision, and one they seemed to quickly realize wasn't the right one.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 7:14:08 PM

Yes, but in fairness.......HE never wanted a dog to begin with. It sounds to me like he knew in his heart that they weren''t going to have what it took, but it wasn''t his decision.

Given that he''s afraid of dogs, I can imagine that he IS happy the dog didn''t last in his household. That doen''t make him an awful person....it just means he is not suited to be a dog owner. And he didn''t choose to......it was his family''s decision, and one they seemed to quickly realize wasn''t the right one.
I came back to check this thread ... and wow!
6.gif

I was thinking what aljdewey just posted above.

It is a terrible position to be in when a family disagrees
38.gif
and then one or part of the family decideds to be selfish, ignores others feelings ... and goes ahead and does something to disrupt the family unit.

I love cats and dogs ... I prefer dogs due to my cat allergy. When I married DH not only did he have a dog to join mine, but also an indoor cat
6.gif
! I had a huge decision to make. Marry hubby and keep cat until she passed on, or not to marry. We had an agreement between ourselves. We would keep the cat, I would do my best, and when the cat passed on ... we would never get another cat.

Well, there were days that my allergies were so bad
14.gif
that in the back of my mind I couldn''t help but think ... "I can''t wait until this cat passes on!" Well, when the cat did pass last christmas ... It was bitter sweet. I was glad that my allergies would eventually start to get better, and I was relieved. However, when I went to pick up her ashes ... I balled, and I mourned her. Hubby and kids miss Penny ... and I have to remind them that we really can''t have another cat, my allergies just can''t take it ... and if DH or my children ever came home with one ... I would be furious
29.gif
! To me it is the ultimate in disrespect to ignore my wishes and health to accommodate their desire for a furry lover. I always tell the kids, if you want a cat you will have to wait until you have your own home, and then you can have what ever you want. Until then, our home will & needs to remain cat free. Sorry.

I can understand Dancing Fire not wanting the lil'' puppy ... I think that DF''s wife and child should appologize to hubby/father for ignoring his needs. It was a very selfish action upon their parts that hurt many in the end. I am sure DF''s wife/child will think twice before doing anything like this again.

Take care and hope everyone has a nice day!
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, but in fairness.......HE never wanted a dog to begin with. It sounds to me like he knew in his heart that they weren''t going to have what it took, but it wasn''t his decision.

Given that he''s afraid of dogs, I can imagine that he IS happy the dog didn''t last in his household. That doen''t make him an awful person....it just means he is not suited to be a dog owner. And he didn''t choose to......it was his family''s decision, and one they seemed to quickly realize wasn''t the right one.
LOL....hey Alj
35.gif
are you feeling alright? i think you been out in the sun too long.
9.gif
you guys are in trouble now. i got Alj in my corner.
16.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Not going to belabour this thread. As I''ve made my feelings clear. But I wanted to address these comments of yours aljdewey.

I understand this point you make. And I don''t disagree with any part of it. My original post specifically addressed his wife''s actions. Until the dog got home and they gave it away.

Again, my issue is that once the dog was brought home, and the mistake was realized... I don''t feel that what happened thereafter was handled in a responsible manner. At this point, DF didn''t seem (again from the tone of his posts) to care what happened to this baby as long as it wasn''t in his home .

He isn''t to blame for how the dog got there (and I never said he was)-- BUT he was complicit in act of placing of the dog in it''s current home. I don''t believe that at this point he (and it was his responsibility at this point as far as I''m concerned) or anyone else put that baby first. Rather it appears they were so relieved to have Jade gone that they gave it to the first home they could. They clearly are not good puppy owners (and they realized this quickly), and as I said before-- I don''t think they realize what is involved in being good puppy owners-- in fact I don''t think they have a clue. So when DF says that the dog is in a good home-- it angers me. Because I don''t know how he would know this. And I have not gotten the impression that he realizes that it was his and his wife''s responsibilty--jointly-- to not compound the errors already made by foisting the dog on the first people willing to take her in.

I''m not saying that DF you are bad person. But to me... how people handle difficult positions they are placed in says alot about their character. And I''m sorry-- but from the tone of your posts-- I can not say that you did the right thing by throwing your hands up in the air and saying, "not my problem"-- I know you are afraid of dogs. But you are an adult-- and apparently the only one in your household that had their head on straight. That puppy had no one looking out for it. And you could have-- and in my mind should have-- when placing it in a different home. Instead you opted to come on here and gloat about being right.

This is all I have to say on the matter.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2006 7:53:04 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy

I can understand Dancing Fire not wanting the lil'' puppy ... I think that DF''s wife and child should appologize to hubby/father for ignoring his needs. It was a very selfish action upon their parts that hurt many in the end. I am sure DF''s wife/child will think twice before doing anything like this again.

35.gif

Mrs Joy
yeah but....they too can call me a selfish person by not allowing them to get a puppy.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad this little pup was given to a new owner who is willing and prepared to take on the responsibility necessary to be a dog owner and was not put in a cage in the basement, or chained in the back yard as many people do with their "mistakes".

If only parents would do that with the babies they realize they don't want to take responsibility for.

If only we all could be omniscient........

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 9:05:53 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

LOL....hey Alj
35.gif
are you feeling alright? i think you been out in the sun too long.
9.gif
you guys are in trouble now. i got Alj in my corner.
16.gif
Yes, DF....I''m feeling alright. I''ll say the same thing you do........we often disagree, but when you are right, you are right, and I''ll back that too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/25/2006 6:13:35 PM
Author: Gypsy
I never said they should suck it up and keep the dog.

No, that dog is better off in another home. But it seemed very convenient that this home was so readily and quickly found. I have a hard time believing that the home that Jade is in is the best one for for her... rather than the most convienient place to unload her.

That's what I meant.
wrong Gypsy!!!

the new owner has many yrs of experience with dogs. infact, she was looking for a new puppy b/c her dog pass away 6 months ago. she's my wife's co-worker's sister. this whole thing got started when my wife's co-worker convince her to get a dog. they (my wife and co-worker) was looking for 2 female GR puppies.when they saw an ad in the newspaper,they both bought one. when my wife realize we can't handle the dog,she call her co-worker to see if anybody would be interested.her co-worker call his sister whom was looking for a puppy. she is now the happy owner of Jade.we didn't just dump her b/c it was convienient for us
38.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 9:08:58 PM

At this point, DF didn''t seem (again from the tone of his posts) to care what happened to this baby as long as it wasn''t in his home .
I can tell this is an uber-sensitive issue for you, Gypsy, and I can appreciate that. But on the flip side, I don''t think that DF is obligated to run circles trying to find a solution to a problem not of his making. DF isn''t a screening agency for dogs....he doesn''t even CARE for them. That doesn''t mean he necessarily wishes the dog ill, but it''s not his problem to fix. I''m sure he doesn''t wish the dog ill, but neither does it obligate him to become the champion for finding the absolute, without question, best solution in America for the dog. That is his WIFE''S job.

He isn''t to blame for how the dog got there (and I never said he was)-- BUT he was complicit in act of placing of the dog in it''s current home. I don''t believe that at this point he (and it was his responsibility at this point as far as I''m concerned) or anyone else put that baby first. ......And I have not gotten the impression that he realizes that it was his and his wife''s responsibilty--jointly-- to not compound the errors already made by foisting the dog on the first people willing to take her in.
I guess we''ll have to agree to disagree on this point. I don''t believe it was his responsibility to do anything. He didn''t introduce the dog into the home, and I believe it''s not his responsibility to contribute to the placement effort of the dog.

Just out of curiosity, by the way.....how do you know that he didn''t give input toward the placement of the dog? You''re assuming.....and you''re assuming an awful lot, and not in benefit of the doubt form either. You assumed the purchase was a whim, and you weren''t right on that either. A little less assumption and less judgment might be a better place to start.

And even if he did (offer input on placement for the dog), what''s to say his wife would listen anyway? Not for nothing, but she didn''t listen to him on the "I don''t want a dog" in the first place, right?

Rather it appears they were so relieved to have Jade gone that they gave it to the first home they could. .... So when DF says that the dog is in a good home-- it angers me. Because I don''t know how he would know this.
That''s part of the problem.....you''re reacting (and very strongly) to what *appears*......which may not be right. You''re making an awful lot of assumptions and then sitting in judgment based on them. For someone who''s promoting "doing the homework", you''re not doing yours before jumping down his throat. You haven''t even *asked* for clarification on anything he''s said......you''ve just assumed, assumed, and assumed some more....and wrongly in some cases.

You have no idea what research his wife did or didn''t do prior to buying. You wrongly assumed the purchase was a whim (it wasn''t - the possibility of dog ownership by his wife has been discussed quite a bit in other threads.) You assume that they dumped the dog to less than a good home. You haven''t asked him what makes him think it''s a good home or anything else. The home may or may not be a good one....but I don''t know how you think that you''d know any better than him at this point whether or not the home is a good one.

I''m not saying that DF you are bad person. But to me... how people handle difficult positions they are placed in says alot about their character.
I believe that how quickly people rush to judgment says a lot about their character, too.

I realize that you value your animals above all else......and Gypsy, I do too. I''d spend every penny I have in savings on my dog if it would make him comfortable and happy. My cats, too. BUT.......we are not all the same. Do you feel as passionately about koi fish as DF does? Maybe you do, maybe you don''t.

He doesn''t feel that way about animals, and it doesn''t say a damn thing about his character other than "he''s not an animal lover". I don''t love spiders, and I''d smash one in a minute on my bathroom wall. Doesn''t mean I have no respect for life; it just means I don''t like spiders.

Not everyone feels that dogs/cats are on par with people, and that''s just the way it is. I''m not in that group, but I can respect that others don''t share my passion FOR animals and wouldn''t expect me to act as they do. Live and let live.

Grace43537

Rough_Rock
DF - I agree with many of the others that have already responded to this thread. Your wife and daughter learned a costly mistake by getting the puppy in the first place. I ALWAYS tell people not to get pugs (I have 3) because they are "cute". Sure, they are, but they are also a lot of trouble as puppies and can have costly medical problems. At least your wife and daughter realized their mistake quickly and found a remedy that did not involve putting the dog down. I say take it as a lesson learned and do more research next time.
-Grace

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/24/2006 9:23:06 PM
Author: widget

Author: Mara
it always kind of bugs me when people get dogs and don't know what they are getting into,
Yeah, me too Mara.
38.gif

There's nothing cute or funny about this story.

widget
I couldn't agree more.

Let's stop and think. Dogs have been bred for CENTURIES to be companions to people. They are among the most beautiful creatures son this earth. Some argue that no one can love you like a dog can. They have souls, feelings and emotions. They were engineered by PEOPLE to be our companions. Nothing is more devastating to a dog than to be taken from his/her family. Thank God this pupy did not bond with you and has a chance to become part of a family better equipped to handle her.

A dog is not a diamond, fancy pocketbook or sports car. A dog is livng being deserving of love and respect.

Someone once wrote, "A great soul can appear among us, at any time, in any form." Some of the greatest souls I have ever known have been animals, especially dogs. We people think we're so high and mighty. It's such a farse. I am humbled by the beauty and grace of animals.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 10:12:44 PM

At this point, DF didn''t seem (again from the tone of his posts) to care what happened to this baby as long as it wasn''t in his home .

I can tell this is an uber-sensitive issue for you, Gypsy, and I can appreciate that. But on the flip side, I don''t think that DF is obligated to run circles trying to find a solution to a problem not of his making. DF isn''t a screening agency for dogs....he doesn''t even CARE for them. That doesn''t mean he necessarily wishes the dog ill, but it''s not his problem to fix. I''m sure he doesn''t wish the dog ill, but neither does it obligate him to become the champion for finding the absolute, without question, best solution in America for the dog. That is his WIFE''S job.

He isn''t to blame for how the dog got there (and I never said he was)-- BUT he was complicit in act of placing of the dog in it''s current home. I don''t believe that at this point he (and it was his responsibility at this point as far as I''m concerned) or anyone else put that baby first. ......And I have not gotten the impression that he realizes that it was his and his wife''s responsibilty--jointly-- to not compound the errors already made by foisting the dog on the first people willing to take her in.

I guess we''ll have to agree to disagree on this point. I don''t believe it was his responsibility to do anything. He didn''t introduce the dog into the home, and I believe it''s not his responsibility to contribute to the placement effort of the dog.

Just out of curiosity, by the way.....how do you know that he didn''t give input toward the placement of the dog? You''re assuming.....and you''re assuming an awful lot, and not in benefit of the doubt form either. You assumed the purchase was a whim, and you weren''t right on that either. A little less assumption and less judgment might be a better place to start.

And even if he did (offer input on placement for the dog), what''s to say his wife would listen anyway? Not for nothing, but she didn''t listen to him on the ''I don''t want a dog'' in the first place, right?

Rather it appears they were so relieved to have Jade gone that they gave it to the first home they could. .... So when DF says that the dog is in a good home-- it angers me. Because I don''t know how he would know this.

That''s part of the problem.....you''re reacting (and very strongly) to what *appears*......which may not be right. You''re making an awful lot of assumptions and then sitting in judgment based on them. For someone who''s promoting ''doing the homework'', you''re not doing yours before jumping down his throat. You haven''t even *asked* for clarification on anything he''s said......you''ve just assumed, assumed, and assumed some more....and wrongly in some cases.

You have no idea what research his wife did or didn''t do prior to buying. You wrongly assumed the purchase was a whim (it wasn''t - the possibility of dog ownership by his wife has been discussed quite a bit in other threads.) You assume that they dumped the dog to less than a good home. You haven''t asked him what makes him think it''s a good home or anything else. The home may or may not be a good one....but I don''t know how you think that you''d know any better than him at this point whether or not the home is a good one.

I''m not saying that DF you are bad person. But to me... how people handle difficult positions they are placed in says alot about their character.

I believe that how quickly people rush to judgment says a lot about their character, too.

I realize that you value your animals above all else......and Gypsy, I do too. I''d spend every penny I have in savings on my dog if it would make him comfortable and happy. My cats, too. BUT.......we are not all the same. Do you feel as passionately about koi fish as DF does? Maybe you do, maybe you don''t.

He doesn''t feel that way about animals, and it doesn''t say a damn thing about his character other than ''he''s not an animal lover''. I don''t love spiders, and I''d smash one in a minute on my bathroom wall. Doesn''t mean I have no respect for life; it just means I don''t like spiders.

Not everyone feels that dogs/cats are on par with people, and that''s just the way it is. I''m not in that group, but I can respect that others don''t share my passion FOR animals and wouldn''t expect me to act as they do. Live and let live.

Well said Alj. I am pretty taken aback by the vehemence and the judgement expressed. DF... I am glad that you found the dog a good home and I am glad that your home is back into a situation that is most comfortable and best for your family.. and for the dog.

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
I don''t get it, why didn''t your wife call the breeder and return the dog? ANY REPUTABLE BREEDER will take their dog back regardless of the situation. I have two Norwich Terriers and both breeders told me if ANYTHING should happen where I cannot care for them, they will take them back. And these breeders also contact me once a year to ask about their dog and how they are doing.

Lyn

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the point is mute here. It''s done and Jade went to a loving home.
1.gif
DF is not the bad guy here, and Gypsy you are wrong. I ditto what other''s have said. Aljdewey and Mine summed it up for me. I would have copied what you guys said but it was too long to copy.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 10:45:02 PM
Author: Kaleigh
1.gif
DF is not the bad guy here, and Gypsy you are wrong. I ditto what other''s have said. Aljdewey and Mine summed it up for me. I would have copied what you guys said but it was too long to copy.

I agree. I did a ton of research before adopting my *baby* and it was still tough. Fortuately I was already home full time so training her was fairly easy. My sister and her hubby recently decided they wanted a dog. Both work full time, but in their research found that it could still work. They studied the breed and found what would work best for them. They purchased the dog and it was way more than they expected even with my sharing in detail how it is to have a puppy. yes, sleepness nights, no more quiet alone time after work, at all they goes into caring for a dog. On top of that my BIL has allergies and the dog was making him miserable. They tried to make it work for a week. They were both unhappy and knew they had to find a better home for the puppy. My sister cried for days because she loved it and wanted it to work, but knew they just couldn''t do it right now. In the end they did find someone who only worked part time, had raised other puppies and could provide a much better place for her. I love my dog as much as the next animal lover out there and would do anything for her, but she is still a DOG, not a baby or human being passed around. They will adjust to a knew home and Jade found one. I''m glad they realized only after 2 days and not 2 years when it much harder for pets to find new homes.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 10:45:02 PM
Author: Kaleigh
1.gif

Wasn''t going to reply to this thread again. But as you addressed me directly-- which I know you go to great pains to avoid Kaleigh-- I will say this. I am entitled to my opinion and it stands. But I am glad that you felt free to express your opinion on the subject. That is after all the point of this forum.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
as for breeding contract/return policy, DF says that his wife found the puppies in the newspaper. reputable good breeders have waiting lists and work by referral. i wouldn''t be surprised if Jade has big health problems etc down the road. adopting purebred dogs out of the newspaper is a really bad idea. (especially goldens!) it is puppy mill city.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 9:19:47 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 6/25/2006 7:53:04 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy

35.gif

Mrs Joy
yeah but....they too can call me a selfish person by not allowing them to get a puppy.
Hi DF ~
emrose.gif

Yes, I guess they could. I am so sorry for the position that you were put in.

I wonder what your wife & daughter would do if you came home with a 6 ft. boa constrictor?
9.gif
But honey ... it''s what I really wanted! (Had to add a lil'' humor
11.gif
) HA! Next time kids beg me to let them get a cat, maybe I should say ... only if I can bring home a 6 ft boa constrictor too!
11.gif
(*snakes do not bother me*) I can just hear it now ... but the snake would eat the cat! I guess that should answer the question ... "Mom, can we pleeaasse get a kitty?"

Like I said in my first post, the
emrainbow.gif
rainbow
emrainbow.gif
is that DF''s wife was able to find a home that could care for Jade.

Dancing Fire
emrose.gif
... take care ... and I hope your week is better!
35.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 10:57:36 PM
Author: mrssalvo

I agree. I did a ton of research before adopting my *baby* and it was still tough. Fortuately I was already home full time so training her was fairly easy.

My sister and her hubby recently decided they wanted a dog. Both work full time, but in their research found that it could still work. They studied the breed and found what would work best for them. They purchased the dog and it was way more than they expected even with my sharing in detail how it is to have a puppy. yes, sleepness nights, no more quiet alone time after work, at all they goes into caring for a dog.
Absolutely true, and other things affect that too. Getting a puppy when you''re 20 may be a different experience from getting one when you''re 40! AND....dont'' forget to factor in the dog! All are different.
1.gif

My first dog was a breeze to train.....but in hindsight, I was 21, had a LOT of family/help in the area, and she was just a joy.

My second dog was a nightmare. She was much more needy than the first one, and I had moved away and was living alone in a town without friends/family. My first dog had just died, and I realize NOW that I wasn''t really mentally ready to train another puppy so soon. After much struggle and trial/error, we finally worked it out, and she lived to be 11.

When she died, I waited longer this time to get a new dog. I was now in my mid 30s when I got Nicky......my first BOY and a little bundle of exuberance. As I sat there on the floor of the kitchen (gated in) with him those first few weeks when I got home after work.......trying to keep him occupied.......I thought to myself "gee, I don''t remember the last ones being so TIME intensive." LOL
1.gif
Because when you''ve had a trained dog for so long, you FORGET that new ones take just SO much more energy and attention. It''s like having a toddler! I''m sure any mother will agree that having a toddler in your mid-20s is a much different experience than having one in your mid 40s! lol

Thankfully, Nicky was a breeze to train, and I had some help. By then, my landlord (a very dear and close friend) pitched in to help while I was at work. She was a stay-at-home mom and we had a fenced-in back yard. My dog and her dog played all morning, then he napped in his crate, then they played in the afternoon, and he went back in for an afternoon nap until I arrived home from work. It was a true blessing to have my friend around, and it certainly made all the difference to Nicky.

To me, being as involved with my dogs as I am, having puppies is like having infants. They require constant attention and tons of planning/care for excursions, etc when they are little. Everything else is on hold until they "get with the program". heheheeee

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2006 12:01:09 AM

It''s like having a toddler! I''m sure any mother will agree that having a toddler in your mid-20s is a much different experience than having one in your mid 40s! lol

Oh my gosh ... so true! I just turned the big 40 ... and can''t imagine having a baby/toddler right now! Or, a puppy ... we are all so busy in our lives right now ... puppy would be lonely.

My dog and her dog played all morning, then he napped in his crate, then they played in the afternoon, and he went back in for an afternoon nap until I arrived home from work. It was a true blessing to have my friend around, and it certainly made all the difference to Nicky.

You both were so blessed to have your friend help you! Definate win/win situation!

To me, being as involved with my dogs as I am, having puppies is like having infants. They require constant attention and tons of planning/care for excursions, etc when they are little. Everything else is on hold until they ''get with the program''. heheheeee

Yup, Yup! Get with the program!
2.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2006 11:01:30 AM
Author: strmrdr
DF is a good guy.
Im not going to bust his chops over it but the tone of the first post gave me a very negative reaction so I understand where the people who did are coming from.
The breeder is the one iv got the biggest problem with the screening process should have caught this and the sale refused.

Im glad that jade has a good home and pray she will have a long and happy life in a loving home.
Well said strm! I hope Jade is in a loving home where she''s happy now.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
qs from someone who knows nothing about dogs, but why is it such a big deal that DF''s wife/kid gave the dog to another owner/house rather than back to the breeder??? isn''t it better for the dog to have a ''home'' than back to the breeder??
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results